Phoenix Point Released

Phoenix Point is now available for Windows and macOS on the Epic Games Store, offering the new turn-based strategy game/RPG from Julian Gollop, creator of the classic X-COM series. The game is available in three different flavors: There is a Standard Edition with the base game, a Deluxe Edition with bonus digital content, and an Ultra Edition which includes the bonus content from the Deluxe Edition as well as a Season Pass covering five future DLC releases. Here's the previously released Launch Trailer, and here's word on the game:
Phoenix Point puts players in the midst of a desperate fight to take back the Earth from a mutating, alien menace. Featuring turn-based tactical combat on procedurally generated maps, and resource management on a global scale, Phoenix Point offers endless replayability and a brutal challenge.

Following a global environmental disaster, the Pandoravirus appeared and began reshaping creatures, including humans, into hideous mutants. Unable to stop the progress of the virus, much of human civilization was wiped out -- only small enclaves remain, separated by their principles and the vast landscape. The Phoenix Project, an ancient failsafe against global catastrophe is the only hope to unite mankind and take back the planet.

Lead the Phoenix Project from its base at Phoenix Point. Research and develop new technologies and techniques, plan operations, build alliances to unite the planet-- or simply destroy your rivals. It's up to you to save the planet and rebuild civilization, but there may be much more to the alien threat than meets the eye.

• Mutating Alien Menace: Face down an ever-changing alien threat that adapts to your tactics and offers no respite even as your team becomes more powerful and technologically advanced.
  • Uncover the Secrets of the Pandoravirus: Phoenix Point features a complex narrative, with multiple endings that the player can only uncover via multiple playthroughs. Discover a secret history, as you learn about the origins of the mutants, the Pandoravirus, and Phoenix Point itself through exploration, diplomacy, and research.
  • Manage Diplomatic Relations: The Phoenix Project is not the only organization trying to reclaim the Earth. The militaristic New Jericho, the mystical Disciples of Anu, and the technophiles of Synedrion all offer unique rewards for co-operation and threats for opposition. It is up to you to decide how, or even if, to deal with them.
  • Take Aim on the Battlefield: In addition to equipping and commanding units, Phoenix Point lets you take direct control of your soldier's shots in combat, with a unique free-aiming system. Target enemy weakspots, weapons, or valuables, or just go for center mass.
  • Next-Gen Tech with Classic Pedigree: Phoenix Point was designed by Julian Gollop, the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s. Keeping the core ethos of X-COM while updating the visuals, technology, and systems to modern standards has made Phoenix Point best-in-class.

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: RAPE DAY Steam Listing
Dec 6, 2019, 16:30
Kxmode

Re: RAPE DAY Steam Listing Dec 6, 2019, 16:30
Dec 6, 2019, 16:30
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 10:25:
Dravnt wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 15:38:
I wish them well. But I think, in the end, Epic Snapshot Games would have made more money (and certainly sustained goodwill) had they sold on Steam and eventually EGS once Epic moved away from their childish exclusivity.

I agree. Not really that interested in this game yet.

No one going to poke fun at his Subject, which must be the auto-fill from his browser?

Yeah. I use LastPass. It appears to break down on BN and save the subject line from a first visit post for the day. I tend to fix this but sometimes forget.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Phoenix Point
Dec 4, 2019, 14:19
Re: Phoenix Point Dec 4, 2019, 14:19
Dec 4, 2019, 14:19

I have about 4-5 hours into the game so far and... it needs some work.

Destructible environments, targeted shots are cool(when you aren't blocked by a leaf), I like the basic concept of the factions and most of the mechanics, but everything feels like it needs a few more passes.

I installed my EGS key from the kickstarter because they claimed they would still give us Steam/Gog keys in a year or whatever it was... unfortunately the game feels like it could really use that year for fine tuning in a lot of ways.

It clearly had less of a budget than the new XCOM and definitely less than XCOM 2. The graphics are fine, I like how the aliens and your soldiers look, but customization is a bit of a joke at the moment. Also your soldiers sometimes seem to barely react to getting shot and/or the camera is at an angle that doesn't show they even got hit. Not too major, as you can see their healthbars next turn, but still, weird omission or bug.

Summary: wait for the Gog/Steam release, most of the DLCs should be out, the game will be patched, and you won't have to put up with this unfinished game on EGS.

*EDIT* Also, having ammo for guns is a major, annoying, step backward from XCOM1 and 2. I've looted several pretty good upgraded weapons, yet I can't even make magazines/ammo for them because of faction/research issues. For that matter, there seems to be no way to buy ammo from the factions even though we're on relatively good terms, and I have some of their guys as my soldiers...

Dec 4, 2019, 10:25
Beamer

Re: RAPE DAY Steam Listing Dec 4, 2019, 10:25
 Beamer

Dravnt wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 15:38:
I wish them well. But I think, in the end, Epic Snapshot Games would have made more money (and certainly sustained goodwill) had they sold on Steam and eventually EGS once Epic moved away from their childish exclusivity.

No one going to poke fun at his Subject, which must be the auto-fill from his browser?

Re: Phoenix Point Released
Beamer

Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 4, 2019, 10:25
 Beamer

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 09:42:
VaranDragon wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 16:05:
Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 14:44:
The reviews will be interesting with this one. XCOM was ok. A bit frustrating and rather difficult for reasons that don't always make sense. Hopefully this guy listened to his fans and went back to the drawing board for the game design.

Erm, you do realize that this is the guy who made the original X-COM, or UFO Enemy Unknown. Not the recent XCOM remake?

That's what I'm referring to (yes, I'm old). Have you ever played the original? It's all good fun, but the amount of micromanagement made it quite difficult. The later xcoms are dumbed down.

I've got hundreds of hours in each, and would say the original is probably the game I've got the most time in, tied somewhere with Civ/Civ4, Counterstrike, and FTL.

The new ones are better. Aside from the inventory hell Prez mentioned (which is the only micromanagement that's difficult), later missions become repetitive and redundant, and the UI is really dumb.

It took me a while to warm up to the remakes. Having your soldiers no longer be disposable resources took some adjustment, so did squad size, and coming up to "pods" is something I'll never enjoy. At the same time, the modding is wonderful (at the very least, I mod to squad size 8, which feels way less limiting), and not having to hunt down the last alien, which is weirdly in walking in and out of the closet of the second floor of an empty cabin seems no less dumb than the pods.

I have no issue calling the new games superior. I also love that they take weird risks, which combined with some of the weird things you can do with modding, can create absolute batshit insane games.

Dec 4, 2019, 09:54
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 4, 2019, 09:54
Dec 4, 2019, 09:54

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 09:42:
That's what I'm referring to (yes, I'm old). Have you ever played the original? It's all good fun, but the amount of micromanagement made it quite difficult. The later xcoms are dumbed down.

I played the originals too so let me correct that for you: "The later xcoms are dumbed down streamlined."

Dec 4, 2019, 09:42
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 4, 2019, 09:42
Dec 4, 2019, 09:42

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 16:05:
The reviews will be interesting with this one. XCOM was ok. A bit frustrating and rather difficult for reasons that don't always make sense. Hopefully this guy listened to his fans and went back to the drawing board for the game design.

Erm, you do realize that this is the guy who made the original X-COM, or UFO Enemy Unknown. Not the recent XCOM remake?

"Ok, you go upstairs.When he starts attacking me, I'll pull him around the pillars while you shoot down at him. I'll take out any fartbags that spawn" -me

Dec 4, 2019, 08:38
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 4, 2019, 08:38
Dec 4, 2019, 08:38

Played it a bit, so far it feels incomplete, as if I'm playing a feature incomplete game and using the unity engine sucks major balls as far as modding is concerned. It feels like a cheap incomplete hard to mod X-COM indie.

I expected much more from them. Not impressed.
A lot of people aren't impressed either and have other legit concerns too about bugs and co. it seems. <- This is a link to the latest, but far from the only reddit post expressing people's disappointment in the game.

I recommend to pass until they flesh it out a bit, fix all the bugs and hopefully people start modding it. Otherwise, meh, just play the 2 latest X-COM games instead.

Dec 4, 2019, 02:51
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 4, 2019, 02:51
Dec 4, 2019, 02:51

Kxmode wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 22:22:
Teddy wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 19:04:
So far, graphically not as nice as the X-COM remakes

It's based on the original X-COM, not the X-COM reboot. It says that in the first sentence up above. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Are you serious? I mean it's one thing to be a fanboy, but this is just an absolutely ridiculous argument. Who cares what game it's 'based' on? What does that have to do with the quality of the visuals? This is a game released at the tail end of 2019 and the visuals simply are not as nice as other games in the genre. They're not even on par with games that are multiple years old now.

That doesn't mean it's a bad game, and it's not, but I'm not going to excuse poor visuals simply because it's 'based' on a game from 20 years ago. They're not even that bad, but they're not on par with current level graphics for this style of game.

Dec 4, 2019, 02:00
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 4, 2019, 02:00
Dec 4, 2019, 02:00

Played this for 7 hours so far. Seems pretty decent. Not run into any bugs or crashing. Good graphics and sound. In game movies are nicely done and not overly long. Voice acting is quite good.

Some things in the game could be better explained but its not a major problem. So far the gameplay is fun.

Have occasionally experienced a little frustration with line of sight issues. I go to take a shot but my cover is in the way. Or I move to get sight on an area but I have to move way too close to get it to happen.

Dec 4, 2019, 00:43
Prez

Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 4, 2019, 00:43
Dec 4, 2019, 00:43
 Prez

The original X-Com was one of the best games ever made. Aside from the atrocious inventory management it was about as perfect as it could get. It's tied for my personal best game of all time, alongside Homeworld. I don't expect Gollop to catch that particular lightning in the bottle a second time, but I still have high hopes for this one. I'm not against buying it on Epic but I'm in the middle of a marathon of playing a list of backlogged games so if I don't get around to buying it before it releases on Steam I'd rather have it on there anyway.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 3, 2019, 22:51
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 22:51
Dec 3, 2019, 22:51

jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 22:29:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 19:02:
Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 17:55:
...it seems they had no money for decent sound effects or music.

So I have been playing it for about an hour now and I don't hear the same tinniness that the reviewer described. Since we don't know what his audio setup is, he could be playing on laptop speakers for all we know.

The audio is fine on my cans. Can't say much about the music as that is the first thing I disable in most games so I can play my own music selections.

Dude. Linux just sounds better.
smooth as an open source 8-track cassette tape
the soundcard drivers for Linux are Worse than their GPU drivers. Can Linux do anything right. /S
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Dec 3, 2019, 22:29
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 22:29
Dec 3, 2019, 22:29

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 19:02:

So I have been playing it for about an hour now and I don't hear the same tinniness that the reviewer described. Since we don't know what his audio setup is, he could be playing on laptop speakers for all we know.

The audio is fine on my cans. Can't say much about the music as that is the first thing I disable in most games so I can play my own music selections.

Dude. Linux just sounds better.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 3, 2019, 22:22
Kxmode

Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 22:22
Dec 3, 2019, 22:22
 Kxmode

Teddy wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 19:04:
So far, graphically not as nice as the X-COM remakes

It's based on the original X-COM, not the X-COM reboot. It says that in the first sentence up above. You're comparing apples to oranges.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 3, 2019, 19:04
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 19:04
Dec 3, 2019, 19:04

So far, graphically not as nice as the X-COM remakes, and it seems thus far to be easier. The faction system is a nice touch, but oversimplified in that every faction has an opposing faction so helping one in any way shape or form always gives negative points for another faction even if it doesn't impact them at all.

The free aim is a very cool way to implement the old targeted aim system where you can choose specific body parts and cause different debilitating statuses depending on what you hit. (ie. leg impacts movement and causes bleeding, arm impacts ability to aim or even hold a weapon).

Haven't yet played long enough for the game to start modifying the enemies depending on my strategy, but thus far it's been pretty solid. Not blown away, but it's been fun so far.

Edit: Biggest issue I have so far is the game doesn't make very clear your chance to hit when using the free aim system.

Edit 2: The free aim system also allows you to target things in the world that you couldn't ordinarily target. For example, a propane tank or shooting through a wall at a target your current guy can't see but someone else can.

Dec 3, 2019, 19:03
Cutter

Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 19:03
Dec 3, 2019, 19:03
 Cutter

It sounds like the original Xcom made substantially more difficult / fidgety. No judgment on whether that's good or not, this had a lot of backers so obviously a lot of people love that.

Review also says it's very buggy, has poor AI, and it's definitely an indie game, as it seems they had no money for decent sound effects or music.

I read that review and shudder at the thought of it all.

How could he have no money? Beyond what he raised he musta got a fair sized pile from Epic for the exclusive.

Whatevs, that gives him a year to fix and improve the game and we get it on Steam better and cheaper.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Dec 3, 2019, 19:02
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 19:02
Dec 3, 2019, 19:02

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Dec 3, 2019, 17:55
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 17:55
Dec 3, 2019, 17:55

It sounds like the original Xcom made substantially more difficult / fidgety. No judgment on whether that's good or not, this had a lot of backers so obviously a lot of people love that.

Review also says it's very buggy, has poor AI, and it's definitely an indie game, as it seems they had no money for decent sound effects or music.

I read that review and shudder at the thought of it all.

Dec 3, 2019, 16:05
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 16:05
Dec 3, 2019, 16:05

Dec 3, 2019, 15:38
Re: RAPE DAY Steam Listing Dec 3, 2019, 15:38
Dec 3, 2019, 15:38

"Everyone worse than me is a newb. Everyone better than me has no life."

Dec 3, 2019, 15:35
Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 15:35
Dec 3, 2019, 15:35
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older