PC Halo Reach Released

The Windows edition of Halo Reach is now available on Steam, offering PC gamers the chance to play the latest installment in the first-person shooter series. This is part of the PC edition of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and the listing says the collection is required to play. However, Halo Reach is also being sold individually, which is a little confusing. Here's what they say, including a orphaned double-asterisk footnote that we added from the Master Chief Collection listing:
Halo: Reach* comes to PC as the first installment of Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Now optimized for PC, experience the heroic story of Noble Team, a group of Spartans, who through great sacrifice and courage, saved countless lives in the face of impossible odds. The planet Reach is humanity’s last line of defense between the encroaching Covenant and their ultimate goal, the destruction of Earth. If it falls, humanity will be pushed to the brink of destruction.

Game Features:

• PC Settings/Optimizations: Halo: Reach is now optimized for PC and looking better than ever at up to 4k UHD and at least 60 FPS.** Other PC native settings include mouse and keyboard support, ultrawide support, adaptive sync support, FOV customization, and more.
  • Campaign: Experience the first chapter in the Halo Saga and fight your way as Noble Six through 11 unforgettable missions
  • Multiplayer: Start your Spartan Career today with Halo: Reach’s iconic multiplayer featuring an overhauled progression system, generation-defining player customization, over 20 unforgettable maps, as well as classic game modes such as Firefight and Invasion. While Forge and Theater will be delivered later in 2020, enjoy access to millions of community-created maps and game types that have been migrated over from Halo: Reach on Xbox 360 for use today on PC.
  • Firefight: Fight alone or with squad mates to survive against endless waves of enemies deploying with ever-increasing difficulty.

*Halo: The Master Chief Collection is required to play the (digital only) Halo: Reach.
** Look to system requirements for guidance on hardware minimum specs to achieve performance metrics

View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: PC Halo Reach Released
Dec 9, 2019, 08:35
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 9, 2019, 08:35
Dec 9, 2019, 08:35

Hump wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 17:23:
I tried posting a reply to the comment but this antiquated comment system fucked it all up. It inserted my commentary into his post making it unintelligible.

I tried to delete my post but the system said my name/pass were incorrect though Ive been logged into BN for about a decade.

No disrespect to you Stephen. This thing has always been slightly wonky.
I'll agree it is a bit dated, but it is very functional and frankly I would be disappointed to see it "updated". And did you not see the "Edit" button after you realized you and misplaced your comment?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Dec 6, 2019, 04:45
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 6, 2019, 04:45
Dec 6, 2019, 04:45

I never played "xbox"-halo and I think a thick nostalgia-filter must be a requirement to enjoy this series on the PC.

Dec 5, 2019, 17:30
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 5, 2019, 17:30
Dec 5, 2019, 17:30

Beamer wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 10:47:
MoonSpook wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 05:17:
I remember playing the original Halo when it was finally released on PC all those years back, and I could never understand what the fuss was about. The PC shooters of the time seemed so very much further advanced. As such it's kinda hard for me to get excited about these being on PC now.

The competitor was Unreal Tournament 2003, and I found PC Halo infinitely better. Better levels, more fun things to do. The polish wasn't quite there, but skyjacking a flying vehicle then buzzing around in it, having a dogfight above a groundfight,winning, then swooping down and picking off people fighting your teammates, was far better than anything Unreal was offering then. Or taking out vehicles with sticky grenades, etc.

I don't think Halo even stacked up well against UT99, never mind 2k3. That is before even figuring in mods and user maps.

It was just a super basic shooter. What it had going for it was its newness for console gamers, which is fine, but it is still a contender for most overrated series of all time.
I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

Dec 4, 2019, 17:23
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 4, 2019, 17:23
Dec 4, 2019, 17:23

I tried posting a reply to the comment but this antiquated comment system fucked it all up. It inserted my commentary into his post making it unintelligible.

I tried to delete my post but the system said my name/pass were incorrect though Ive been logged into BN for about a decade.

No disrespect to you Stephen. This thing has always been slightly wonky.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim

Dec 4, 2019, 17:18
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 4, 2019, 17:18
Dec 4, 2019, 17:18

Drayth wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 13:57:
Halo was definitely ahead of it's time in various areas.

It was the first FPS enemies could loose track of where you were in. every other FPS once an enemy is triggered it always knew where you were on the map (they may had been scripted to always b-line to you, but the enemy knew your location). Halo if you break line of site they no longer know where you are and go to a best-guess location to find you. If you hide long enough you can hear the little guys ask "Where he go?'.

Its biggest contribution to gaming was its ability to give players not only great gameplay but also a cinematic experience. The story in and of itself was engrossing, so much so that one could sit and watch a friend play and still be engaged. It deserves a place right up there with Half Life and other great FPS games

That was a jaw dropper at the time when I first heard it and realized they were searching. It was on the map where you storm the beach with the infamous hollow (doughnut like) cliff face.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim

Dec 4, 2019, 13:57
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 4, 2019, 13:57
Dec 4, 2019, 13:57

Halo was definitely ahead of it's time in various areas.

It was the first FPS enemies could loose track of where you were in. every other FPS once an enemy is triggered it always knew where you were on the map (they may had been scripted to always b-line to you, but the enemy knew your location). Halo if you break line of site they no longer know where you are and go to a best-guess location to find you. If you hide long enough you can hear the little guys ask "Where he go?'.

That was a jaw dropper at the time when I first heard it and realized they were searching. It was on the map where you storm the beach with the infamous hollow (doughnut like) cliff face.

Dec 4, 2019, 10:47
Beamer

Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 4, 2019, 10:47
Dec 4, 2019, 10:47
 Beamer

I remember playing the original Halo when it was finally released on PC all those years back, and I could never understand what the fuss was about. The PC shooters of the time seemed so very much further advanced. As such it's kinda hard for me to get excited about these being on PC now.

The competitor was Unreal Tournament 2003, and I found PC Halo infinitely better. Better levels, more fun things to do. The polish wasn't quite there, but skyjacking a flying vehicle then buzzing around in it, having a dogfight above a groundfight,winning, then swooping down and picking off people fighting your teammates, was far better than anything Unreal was offering then. Or taking out vehicles with sticky grenades, etc.

Dec 4, 2019, 10:24
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 4, 2019, 10:24
Dec 4, 2019, 10:24

For me it's more of a homage, it isn't bad, but as you say it isn't anything near state of the art. So learning the Halo universe playing through that campaign is what I get from it. It does have decent AI in the higher up characters (not to be mistaken that someone could find dumb shit it does, has there been a FPS game that we can't say that for?) that makes it a little interesting and better than even several released today.

Dec 4, 2019, 05:17
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 4, 2019, 05:17
Dec 4, 2019, 05:17

Had a similar experience with Gears. Played Gears 5 recently as my first Gears game after hearing the hype for so many years and.. well, underwhelmed is about right. So many things could have been improved in it, but after putting a few hours in and reaching the second Act, I just gave up.. kinda walked away shaking my head at it.

Dec 3, 2019, 23:40
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 23:40
Dec 3, 2019, 23:40

Frijoles wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 13:20:
Interested in the reviews on this, but I fear it's going to be positive even if the port is shit due to nostalgia. I've never played Halo, so it'd be good to finally see what all the hype is about.

The port is DEFINITELY solid. Plays like a native shooter
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Dec 3, 2019, 23:21
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 23:21
Dec 3, 2019, 23:21

Played coop on game pass, runs smooth, nice redux, will be a pretty fun romp through.

Dec 3, 2019, 19:31
Kxmode

Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 19:31
Dec 3, 2019, 19:31
 Kxmode

Simon Says wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 17:22:
Just snatched it, I hadn't played anything after Halo 2, glad I can continue the story.

Finish the Fight
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 3, 2019, 18:55
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 18:55
Dec 3, 2019, 18:55

Installed this from Xbox Game Pass, which I had forgotten to cancel when I grabbed it for Outer Worlds... And when I hit Play... Nothing... No error... no loading icons/cursor/etc... Nothing... Well done MS!

Dec 3, 2019, 17:22
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 17:22
Dec 3, 2019, 17:22

Just snatched it, I hadn't played anything after Halo 2, glad I can continue the story.

Dec 3, 2019, 14:59
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 14:59
Dec 3, 2019, 14:59

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 14:20:
the shooting is so much easier (for me) with a Mouse and Keyboard.

This is why I've patiently waited so damn long for these ports (I KNEW it would happen sooooomeday). I did finish Reach and Halo 1 on console; Reach was just too damn compelling due to the story's basis and over all atmosphere. I've snagged the collection, and can't wait to dive all the way through the series.

Dec 3, 2019, 14:56
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 14:56
Dec 3, 2019, 14:56

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 14:20:
Other then that it looks great for a game of it's age and the shooting is so much easier (for me) with a Mouse and Keyboard.

Good to hear. I take it that means you can rebind keys without any issue? I'm a stickler for that.

Dec 3, 2019, 14:20
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 14:20
Dec 3, 2019, 14:20

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 13:43:
This is part of the PC edition of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and the listing says the collection is required to play. However, Halo Reach is also being sold individually, which is a little confusing.

It wouldn't be Microsoft if they actually knew what they were doing.

it's just a messup on Steam's part, as you can purchase it seperatly.
So my only complaint is the sound. Some reason or another it seems like the full volume is on 60% at max.
Other then that it looks great for a game of it's age and the shooting is so much easier (for me) with a Mouse and Keyboard.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Dec 3, 2019, 13:43
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 13:43
Dec 3, 2019, 13:43

This is part of the PC edition of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and the listing says the collection is required to play. However, Halo Reach is also being sold individually, which is a little confusing.

It wouldn't be Microsoft if they actually knew what they were doing.

Dec 3, 2019, 13:34
Kxmode

Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 13:34
Dec 3, 2019, 13:34
 Kxmode

Super cool! Last time I played Halo 1 was on the original Xbox with the big bulky controllers (I still have it; I should Ebay it).
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 3, 2019, 13:32
Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 13:32
Dec 3, 2019, 13:32

Frijoles wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 13:20:
Interested in the reviews on this, but I fear it's going to be positive even if the port is shit due to nostalgia. I've never played Halo, so it'd be good to finally see what all the hype is about.

I was in the beta and it was very solid. If your on the fence grab the xbox pass and give it a whirl (has other games like Outer Limits too).
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older