Steam Controller Sold Out?

There are posts on Reddit and ResetEra indicating that Valve may be cancelling some orders of the Steam Controller made during the Steam sale (thanks VG247). As was noted when these went on sale for $5.00, Valve stated these controllers are being discontinued, and it seems that the bargain price quickly caused demand to outstrip supply. An oddity noted in one of the posts is that while the user's order of the controller was cancelled and refunded, their order for controller accessories was not. Here's an explanation from Steam support that someone posted:
During our recent sale, we mistakenly took more orders for the Steam Controller than we were able to fulfill. As we are no longer producing this product, we are unable to send you a Steam Controller and have refunded your purchase.

You should have already received a full refund of your purchase amount to the payment method that you used. Some payment methods take several business days to show the refunded amount has returned to your account.

We sincerely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to respond to this help request
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Steam Controller Sold Out?
Dec 9, 2019, 10:47
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 9, 2019, 10:47
Dec 9, 2019, 10:47

just got my controller over the weekend.

Man, it is odd.

The way the palm rests sweep forward make it difficult to hit the bumper buttons without needing something to hold the controller in place.

still worth 12 bucks though.

Dec 5, 2019, 22:37
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 5, 2019, 22:37
Dec 5, 2019, 22:37

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 05:55:
<Shrug> Steam had one chance at a first impression and they blew it. The fact that you how you hold it is non-intuitive shows that it is a poor design.

That's just the thing though, it is intuitive once you stop forcing yourself to stop holding it like something it isn't. When I first picked it up, I was trying to grip it like an Xbox 360 pad because that's the only controller I'd ever used. When I finally relaxed my grip and let it sit naturally in my hand, it made perfect sense. The shape of the controller makes your thumbs and fingers rest in the right spot. I thought it was pretty genius design after that.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Dec 5, 2019, 19:58
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 5, 2019, 19:58
Dec 5, 2019, 19:58

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 03:22:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 10:30:
"some" orders :=) More like, all orders made after the 28th and some made on the 27th

There is no "some" in that logic. ALL orders made after the 28th were annulled. The sale was fake after that.
I bought one late on the 27th and still got one.
Mine is showing shipped with a FedEx tracking number.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Dec 4, 2019, 14:25
Verno

Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 4, 2019, 14:25
Dec 4, 2019, 14:25
 Verno

subx wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 07:10:
Verno wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 13:07:
They're fine for certain genres and frankly really kickass for emulation related stuff due to all of the customization and extra controls.

Does it really offer anything you can’t do with JoyToKey and any controller?

Yes. Most other controllers don't have the paddles for example. Extra buttons is the bees knees for emulation.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Dec 4, 2019, 07:10
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 4, 2019, 07:10
Dec 4, 2019, 07:10

They're fine for certain genres and frankly really kickass for emulation related stuff due to all of the customization and extra controls.

Does it really offer anything you can’t do with JoyToKey and any controller?

Dec 4, 2019, 06:40
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 4, 2019, 06:40
Dec 4, 2019, 06:40

Mine arrived yesterday.

Nice build and finish, but the only documentation from Valve is a little pamphlet showing you how to load the batteries and turn it on. The rest from Valve is via loading Steam in Big Picture mode and is not at all intuitive. Most of the guides in the Workshop and forum are sketchy.
This is going to be a bear to get set up and customize.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Dec 4, 2019, 05:55
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 4, 2019, 05:55
Dec 4, 2019, 05:55

MeanJim wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 02:56:
You didn't spend enough time with it.

<Shrug> Steam had one chance at a first impression and they blew it. The fact that you how you hold it is non-intuitive shows that it is a poor design.

You can like it, and that's great that you do, but that doesn't change my impression of it. At this point, however, it's moot anyway since it is now a dead product with no future so I shan't be revisiting it.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Dec 4, 2019, 03:22
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 4, 2019, 03:22
Dec 4, 2019, 03:22

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 10:30:
"some" orders :=) More like, all orders made after the 28th and some made on the 27th

There is no "some" in that logic. ALL orders made after the 28th were annulled. The sale was fake after that.
I bought one late on the 27th and still got one.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Dec 4, 2019, 02:56
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 4, 2019, 02:56
Dec 4, 2019, 02:56

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 12:05:
A friend of mine has one from when they were released. I was less than impressed with it. It just felt...unsatisfying in my hands. It definitely did not feel like it had the same build quality as my Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers.

You didn't spend enough time with it. I thought it felt weird at first, but I was trying to hold it like I do an Xbox 360 controller, and it's not meant to be held like that. The reason it's shaped like it is, is so when you hold it right the tips of your thumbs are touching the dual touch pads instead of laying flat on them if you try to hold it like a regular controller.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Dec 4, 2019, 00:46
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 4, 2019, 00:46
Dec 4, 2019, 00:46

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 10:56:
So much salt over a $5 item people didn't know they wanted until it was going away...

What salt?? I've not seen any. Explain.

Dec 3, 2019, 14:51
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 14:51
Dec 3, 2019, 14:51

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 13:34:
VoodooV wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 12:25:
I always heard mixed reviews. Some people think they're great, some people thought the same as what you just said.

For the price they were going for during the sale..Why the heck not? If it collects dust, it collects dust, no real sweat off my brow.

They're fine for certain genres and frankly really kickass for emulation related stuff due to all of the customization and extra controls. Not like the 360 or Xbox One controllers are known for quality either, both have known issues with thumbstick drift. I was more concerned with the button sizes on the Steam Controller, they were oddly small for no discernible reason.

The strength of the Steam Controller is also its biggest flaw - customization. The community configs help out a lot but ultimately I found I spent too much time fiddling when I just wanted to game after a long day at work. I still bust it out for anything emulation related though.

This has been my experience. Also, it also has/had the weird attachment to Big Picture mode in Steam. That was always frustrating to work around. I also like my d-pad more than I thought I would, so loosing that has made my steam controllers far less useful than I anticipated. That said, I do think it's roughly the same quality as the xbox one controller.

They don't have a non-Big Picture Mode configurator. You can access the configurator from the desktop client, but it will launch in a BPM window. so it requires BPM to provide config support, but also to support touch menu overlays which sometimes don't work when BPM is disabled.

I think "Customization is its biggest flaw" is a fairly apt assessment. As an example take GTA V. It has native controller support, and I think most players would prefer to reach for their xbox controller with out of the box support when faced with customizing their Steam controller to play nicely. This is the case despite the Steam controller providing the better play experience if configured properly - mouse and mouse gyro when "on foot" and pure xbox x-input when in vehicles. I think once users become comfortable with touchpad mouse input and mouse gyro for fine aim, they prefer the Steam controller for that sense of finer control. If your experience with the controller is limited to "I tried it, I feel like my thumbstick game is better than what this trackpad is offering, but I didn't spend the 5-10ish hours practicing to improve", well no wonder you prefer native Xbox controller support. For me, I know what the Steam controller is capable of, and I can't settle for thumbstick aiming anymore.

Dec 3, 2019, 13:35
Kxmode

Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 13:35
Dec 3, 2019, 13:35
 Kxmode

TIL Valve's eCommerce platform cannot track inventory count. *gasp!* For shame Valve.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2019, 14:04.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 3, 2019, 13:34
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 13:34
Dec 3, 2019, 13:34

I always heard mixed reviews. Some people think they're great, some people thought the same as what you just said.

For the price they were going for during the sale..Why the heck not? If it collects dust, it collects dust, no real sweat off my brow.

They're fine for certain genres and frankly really kickass for emulation related stuff due to all of the customization and extra controls. Not like the 360 or Xbox One controllers are known for quality either, both have known issues with thumbstick drift. I was more concerned with the button sizes on the Steam Controller, they were oddly small for no discernible reason.

The strength of the Steam Controller is also its biggest flaw - customization. The community configs help out a lot but ultimately I found I spent too much time fiddling when I just wanted to game after a long day at work. I still bust it out for anything emulation related though.

This has been my experience. Also, it also has/had the weird attachment to Big Picture mode in Steam. That was always frustrating to work around. I also like my d-pad more than I thought I would, so loosing that has made my steam controllers far less useful than I anticipated. That said, I do think it's roughly the same quality as the xbox one controller.

Dec 3, 2019, 13:07
Verno

Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 13:07
Dec 3, 2019, 13:07
 Verno

Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Dec 3, 2019, 12:33
Cutter

Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 12:33
Dec 3, 2019, 12:33
 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 10:56:
So much salt over a $5 item people didn't know they wanted until it was going away...

If I could have ordered one I would have. I need a new controller. Point in fact, I just ordered a Logitech and a Steelseries one because I need a Bluetooth controller to work with my TV for Steam Link App and AMD Link. They are $40 and $65 respectively. $13 for a controller and shipping would have been much nicer.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Dec 3, 2019, 12:25
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 12:25
Dec 3, 2019, 12:25

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 12:05:
A friend of mine has one from when they were released. I was less than impressed with it. It just felt...unsatisfying in my hands. It definitely did not feel like it had the same build quality as my Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers.

Dec 3, 2019, 12:09
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 12:09
Dec 3, 2019, 12:09

And ?

Dec 3, 2019, 12:05
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 12:05
Dec 3, 2019, 12:05

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Dec 3, 2019, 11:44
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 11:44
Dec 3, 2019, 11:44

Nobody was interested in wheeling their desk over to the warehouse part of the office and doing inventory.

Dec 3, 2019, 11:40
Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 11:40
Dec 3, 2019, 11:40

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 11:44:
Nobody was interested in wheeling their desk over to the warehouse part of the office and doing inventory.
Hey guys, the min max levels are 100/1000 and we just hit 99. Should we reorder or drop this turkey.

What's gonna happen to the thousands of employees at the Steam Controller Assembly Line in Buffalo Grove, IL

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2019, 12:06.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older