Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced

Publisher Slitherine, developer The Artistocrats, and rights-holder Sony Pictures Consumer Products announce Starship Troopers - Terran Command, a real-time strategy game that's coming next year to cash in on Starship Troopers just 23 years after the movie based on the Heinlein novel of the same name. The Steam Listing for the game is already online, as is the Announcement Trailer and a Gameplay Teaser. "If you take one of the most iconic movies from the 90s and shape it into a strategy game of survival, that mixes classic real-time mechanics, tower defense and tactical deployment of units then you have ‘Starship Troopers - Terran Command’ in a nutshell," says Iain McNeil, Development Director at Slitherine. "Modern strategy games are fast-paced and they successfully blend unit management, survival and captivating storytelling. Nothing is more suited to this type of gameplay than the Starship Troopers universe, where there is a continuous sense of danger and uncertainty." Would you like to know more?
Set in the same universe of the original movie, “Starship Troopers - Terran Command” drops players right at the heart of a human colony overrun by the Arachnids. They must take the fight into bug territory, where they will lead an army of elite soldiers to defeat the alien menace. They will deploy their units in strategic locations to cover vital choke-points, build defence emplacements, and achieve superior firepower through the tactical use of elevation levels.

“When creating this game, we aimed to capture the essence of the original movie and its universe. This is not only achieved by creating a coherent set of units and scenarios, but also by mimicking the language, visual elements, dialogues and the little details that made the film such an iconic, cult feature.”, Iain McNeil continues.

Slitherine is also a core strategy games publisher though and that doesn’t go away. This is why the British publisher is working with strategy games developer The Artistocrats to create a product that features complex mechanics, deep gameplay systems and a wide variety of options to turn a fast-paced strategy game into a mind-bending experience that involves multiple solutions to a very basic problem: to kill a lot of bugs.

The Artistocrats are the Belgian development studio behind the Order of Battle series and Commander: the Great War. Studio owner and lead designer Lukas Nijsten has been working on “Starship Troopers - Terran Command” for over two years now. The game is set to release in 2020.
View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 3, 2019, 10:47 RedEye9

1badmf wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 05:26:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:39:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 19:49:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 14:37:
So this looks like it is based on the movie and not the book, which is a bummer.
More than a bummer, I'd rate this as an automatic hard pass, if it's based on the movie. That piece of shit was one of the worst butcherings of a great book that I've ever seen.
Haven't read the book in a while, but IIRC the book is a celebration of Fascism, while the movie spoofs it. Also, the movie, while goofy fun, has some excellent design work, from the ships and weapons, to the interactive newscasts. Would you like to know more, indeed.

i wouldn't say spoofs, more like makes a mockery of it. i thought the movie was brilliantly subversive. most people who've seen it don't even realize the humans are the bad guys.
Heinlein was brilliant. His books are still "believable" today.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 3, 2019, 10:41 Beamer

So this looks like it is based on the movie and not the book, which is a bummer.
More than a bummer, I'd rate this as an automatic hard pass, if it's based on the movie. That piece of shit was one of the worst butcherings of a great book that I've ever seen.
Haven't read the book in a while, but IIRC the book is a celebration of Fascism, while the movie spoofs it. Also, the movie, while goofy fun, has some excellent design work, from the ships and weapons, to the interactive newscasts. Would you like to know more, indeed.

But the book has mechs, haha. Which I assume was the reason for BoP to make the post.
Which, frankly, you could incorporate into the movie's universe, in a game, without anyone blinking. It isn't like any video game is fully faithful to a movie. Any game has additional weapons, or enemies, or whatever.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 3, 2019, 09:20 Creston

It kinda looks like They Are Billions in the SST universe, which could be fun. The gameplay trailer has me cautiously optimistic.  

16. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 3, 2019, 05:26 1badmf

i wouldn't say spoofs, more like makes a mockery of it. i thought the movie was brilliantly subversive. most people who've seen it don't even realize the humans are the bad guys.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 3, 2019, 04:58 IgWannA

aka_STEVE wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 15:08:
23 years & no one has done a decent FPS shooter based off it.... What a waste.

** besides the cheap one done back in 2005 *

Not an official game, but there's a cool looking Starship Troopers mod for Squad - https://youtu.be/KL2-9b-HBoI?t=474

14. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 2, 2019, 21:39 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

13. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 21:28 jdreyer

Dacron wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 15:35:

They could've used the original Red Faction (with the full soil/ground destruction) engine to make an awesome FPS. Bug hunting in nests, defending outposts as bugs pop out of the ground / cliffs etc...
You could make an excellent L4D clone Bugs vs Humans. Both sides are perfect for it with the different kinds of bugs and human soldiers available and in canon already.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 2, 2019, 19:49 Stormsinger

11. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 19:07 Ranger55

Looks like it may be a hybrid. Styled after the movie, but including elements that the movie left out, like power armor. There was a shot of 2 suits of power armor defending a base.

10. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 18:45 Darks

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 15:57:
I think I am one of the only people that played the Starship Troopers RTS from the early 2000s and actually liked it. That game was great!

Some shitty mechanics but overall pretty cool, took some aspects from the film and some from the novel, namely powered battle suits, but it was a really cool RTS/horde type game. This new one seems to be mostly(?) based off the film, with non-power armor soldiers getting annihilated by the bugs. Oh well.

Time to go replay Starship Troopers:Terran Ascendency...off of physical media, like a savage, since it's not on Gog or Steam.

I played it and did my part.

Loved that game, Wish it would work on a modern pc. I modded the first map and put in over 500 bugs, the devs liked it and contacted me about being a community manager on the forums back in the day. Met those guys at E3 years ago when this was being made. they were all from Down Under. great bunch of guys. To bad no one decided to remake this RTS game it was fun.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 18:03 Bill Borre

since it's not on Gog or Steam

Yeah, it's too bad that so many of those licensed properties haven't made their way to gog or steam.

8. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 15:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

I think I am one of the only people that played the Starship Troopers RTS from the early 2000s and actually liked it. That game was great!

Some shitty mechanics but overall pretty cool, took some aspects from the film and some from the novel, namely powered battle suits, but it was a really cool RTS/horde type game. This new one seems to be mostly(?) based off the film, with non-power armor soldiers getting annihilated by the bugs. Oh well.

Time to go replay Starship Troopers:Terran Ascendency...off of physical media, like a savage, since it's not on Gog or Steam.

7. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 15:35 Dacron

They could've used the original Red Faction (with the full soil/ground destruction) engine to make an awesome FPS. Bug hunting in nests, defending outposts as bugs pop out of the ground / cliffs etc...

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

6. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 15:08 aka_STEVE

5. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 15:01 Shock

Order of Battle is a very solid game so that gives me a little hope in spite of the terrible generic looking videos  

4. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 14:58 eRe4s3r

It looks surprisingly average...  

3. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 14:46 Tipsy McStagger

"The only good bug is a dead bug!"

2. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 14:41 Kxmode

wOuLd yOu LiKE tO KnOw MoRE?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

1. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 14:37 Burrito of Peace

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >