Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Happy Cyber Monday, I guess. It was widely reported that most of this year's Black Friday sales were done online, anyway, it will be interesting to see whether these events end up converging over the coming years. Anyway, here's hoping no one gets trampled by crowds of shoppers today while hunting for bargains on the Internet.

Obituary: 'Will & Grace' actress Shelley Morrison dead at 83, remembered by co-stars.

Cyber Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: John Barnett on Why He Won’t Fly on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: NO TIME TO DIE Teaser.
Crane Operator Fails At Doing His Job So Terribly That It's Actually Glorious.
Auctions: Couple paid $100 for car, Elon Musk bought it from them for 6 figures. Thanks RedEye9.
View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2019, 02:49 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 13:40:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 10:59:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 03:38:
[snip]
Interesting! A shame he didn't get a lawyer to take the case with payment contingent on winning or settling.

I'd imagine proving the similarities in a court of law wouldn't be too difficult. The evidence is pretty damning.

Both me and my daughter have played that, although not for many years. I didn't even notice the similarities despite having read the novel.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2019, 13:40 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 10:59:
[snip]
Interesting! A shame he didn't get a lawyer to take the case with payment contingent on winning or settling.

I'd imagine proving the similarities in a court of law wouldn't be too difficult. The evidence is pretty damning.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2019, 10:59 jdreyer

I'm playing through Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars when I noticed half-way through it felt very similar to The Da Vinci Code. I had to look up the release dates of both.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars 1996 (started working on the story ten years prior)
The Da Vinci Code 2000

There was a section on the Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars Wikipedia article that addresses The Da Vinci Code connection:

"[Writer, Director, and Producer Charles] Cecil has said that the game's fanbase believes Dan Brown to have been influenced by Broken Sword when writing his novel, The Da Vinci Code, because of the parallels between the two works. Cecil stated that he is flattered by this sentiment, but that he would never claim so himself due to the threat of Brown's "very serious" lawyers. Joao Diniz Sanches of Pocket Gamer said Broken Sword's story is a "tale, some would argue, that effortlessly outclasses Dan Brown's similarly themed and tricksy novel." In an article about Broken Sword, Computer and Video Games described the Knights Templar legend as "great mythology to base a game on." They noted that Broken Sword "came out years before The Da Vinci Code made that sort of thing popular."

The writing and story in The Da Vinci Code are too similar to Shadow of the Templars to be a coincidence and don't believe for one second Dan Brown ever came up the idea on his own. I'm pretty confident Dan did a wholesale copy of the themes, settings, and even the characters. Take, for example, a French woman teaming up with an American to solve a murder mystery, her father's connection to a mysterious secret group, both of them discovering a cuneiform styled puzzle, a mysterious assassin, it takes places in France, and so forth. He appears to have engaged in the form of plagiarism ("to steal and pass off the ideas or words of another as one's own"). But as Charles noted he couldn't do anything about it because of "Brown's "very serious" lawyers." Man that just sucks. Brown rips off Cecil's hard work and becomes a billionaire in the process and a well-known author too boot.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

20. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2019, 05:54 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 04:10:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:32:
Hey BoP, what is your spin on their PoP!_OS?

I'm going to be honest. I hate Ubuntu with a passion.

Because it tries too hard to be something (Windows 10) that it's not (Linux).

No, I don't care about how they have chosen to arrange the Desktop Environment. Unlike Windows, you can change and modify that entire thing as you see fit.

What I do not like is how Ubuntu lays out the system underneath. It doesn't make any reasonable sense at all. Moreover, I do not like how Canonical does updates and the lack of available packages compared to Manjaro or Fedora with RPM fusion enabled. I also dislike to get that same breadth of choice, you have to add a bunch of PPAs separately.

I wiped Pop_OS! off my new laptop and installed Manjaro which is working with all the functionality of the distro that shipped with it.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2019, 04:10 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:39:

I'm going to be honest. I hate Ubuntu with a passion.

Because it tries too hard to be something (Windows 10) that it's not (Linux).

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2019, 03:38 Kxmode

I'm playing through Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars when I noticed half-way through it felt very similar to The Da Vinci Code. I had to look up the release dates of both.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars 1996 (started working on the story ten years prior)
The Da Vinci Code 2000

There was a section on the Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars Wikipedia article that addresses The Da Vinci Code connection:

"[Writer, Director, and Producer Charles] Cecil has said that the game's fanbase believes Dan Brown to have been influenced by Broken Sword when writing his novel, The Da Vinci Code, because of the parallels between the two works. Cecil stated that he is flattered by this sentiment, but that he would never claim so himself due to the threat of Brown's "very serious" lawyers. Joao Diniz Sanches of Pocket Gamer said Broken Sword's story is a "tale, some would argue, that effortlessly outclasses Dan Brown's similarly themed and tricksy novel." In an article about Broken Sword, Computer and Video Games described the Knights Templar legend as "great mythology to base a game on." They noted that Broken Sword "came out years before The Da Vinci Code made that sort of thing popular."

The writing and story in The Da Vinci Code are too similar to Shadow of the Templars to be a coincidence and don't believe for one second Dan Brown ever came up the idea on his own. I'm pretty confident Dan did a wholesale copy of the themes, settings, and even the characters. Take, for example, a French woman teaming up with an American to solve a murder mystery, her father's connection to a mysterious secret group, both of them discovering a cuneiform styled puzzle, a mysterious assassin, it takes places in France, and so forth. He appears to have engaged in the form of plagiarism ("to steal and pass off the ideas or words of another as one's own"). But as Charles noted he couldn't do anything about it because of "Brown's "very serious" lawyers." Man that just sucks. Brown rips off Cecil's hard work and becomes a billionaire in the process and a well-known author too boot.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2019, 03:58.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 22:22 Beamer

Amazon is kind of screwing me this BF.

My girlfriend bought me a trip to the Maldives for next week (we're actually flying NYC to Singapore, Singapore to Male, Male to Vienna, Vienna to NYC, so a trip around the world.) I'm super excited, and bought a GoPro 8 for this. My mask already has a GP mount, but I also bought a waterproof stick to get closer to wildlife, a dome lens, and some other gibberish. She pointed out that, with only one of us filming, we won't have footage of both of us, so I also bought a pretty decent but much cheaper knock-off.

Everything arrived yesterday. Except the knockoff. Amazon didn't notify me, but their site says that UPS is experiencing delays, and the item that was due to me today should be here by Friday. I leave Thursday, so this isn't quite right. There's nothing they, or anyone, can do. I just have to hope. Meanwhile, the tracking number isn't working... So it'll probably get here Friday, too late to be useful, then sit in my lobby for a week and a half before someone steals it.

Thanks, Amazon.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 21:40 Mr. Tact

Interesting. Okay, thanks for the information.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 21:39 Burrito of Peace

I'm going to be honest. I hate Ubuntu with a passion. I think it is a garbage distro. That being said, I think S76 did a good job of unfucking Ubuntu as best as could be expected.

One thing I really like is that all updates, firmware, drivers, OS and applications. come through the Pop_Shop which is really quite elegant.

If you don't hate Ubuntu as much as I do, then give it a shot. You might like it quite a bit.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 21:32 Mr. Tact

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 14:40:
Picked up a new System76 laptop and a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Pro nvme drive to go in to it. Oh, and an 8qt Instapot for my mom for Christmas. That's about the only deals I took advantage of.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 21:23 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 18:41:
Those are expensive and you still have to buy a separate Windows 10 license. that company will never make it /s

I know, right? They'll be going out of business any day now. Any. Day.

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 19:00:
The question everyone wants to know the answer to is:
Can it run Crysis?

With a RTX 2080, I should certainly hope so! Bucktooth

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 20:05 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 19:00:
Picked up a new System76 laptop.
Those are expensive and you still have to buy a separate Windows 10 license. that company will never make it /s
Can it run Crysis?

Do you need to ask if "76" is in the name?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 19:00 jdreyer

Can it run Crysis?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 18:41 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 18:39 Kxmode

Belated R.I.P.: 12/1: Lil Bub  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 18:25 Mr. Tact

Simon Says wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 13:36:
"Corrupted boeing employees investigated boeing and found nothing wrong"

Bloody hell I'm never going to board a 787
As time goes on I only get happier and happier that the likelihood of me ever flying again is very near to zero.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 14:40 Burrito of Peace

Picked up a new System76 laptop and a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Pro nvme drive to go in to it. Oh, and an 8qt Instapot for my mom for Christmas. That's about the only deals I took advantage of.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 13:47 Pigeon

Other than a few token deals, actual Black Friday/Cyber Monday really isn't a thing for online shopping. It's more accurately Black Friday week, as most sales seem to occur the previous weekend or Monday and persist till "Cyber Monday". Nobody wants to chance their competitors having a "good enough" sale to wait till those specific dates.

As far as I'm concerned cyber monday is pretty much defunct. It was a thing because people would wait till Monday when they could order things over their work's speedy/reliable internet. Now home connections are a lot faster and more reliable than they were 2 decade ago, so no reason to wait.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 13:42 Cutter

Whilst not on sale I did just purchase Lenovo's new Tab M8 tablet. It's running Pie and seems like a pretty good tablet for the money. Plus I like this....

"The Tab M8’s TÜV®-certified display cuts back on the exposure to blue light, which can be potentially damaging to eyesight, especially for growing children. So, you and your family can watch and play for hours on long trips and slow days at home with peace of mind."

I have a whole slew of ebooks that have been waiting for a new tablet so I'm pretty stoked about it. And it'll be the perfect tool for my trip to Europe.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 13:36 Simon Says

"Corrupted boeing employees investigated boeing and found nothing wrong"

Bloody hell I'm never going to board a 787

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >