Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Well, December is here, so winter is just a few weeks away. But if this isn't winter, I don't want to know what is, as it's cold enough that the surface of the nearby pond froze over during the night, and there's a winter storm warning in the local forecast telling us to expect 7 to 13 inches of snow and sleet accumulations. If you are in the path of this, stay warm and safe, and if you are not, well, color me jealous.

Obituary: Irving Burgie, Songwriter Who Helped Bring Calypso To America, Dies At 95. Thanks Acleacius.

Frosty Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Japanese study links ramen shop prevalence to high stroke risk. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Booby traps: Man in Maine killed by own device. Thanks RedEye9.
Poppy-pinching pigeon welcomes a baby at the Australian War Memorial.
Science: Physicists Have Identified a Metal That Conducts Electricity But Not Heat. Thanks Max.
New Study Suggests Extra Virgin Olive Oil May Fight Toxic Proteins From Accumulating In The Brain. Thanks Boing Boing.
HIV vaccine in 2021: Leading experts 'optimistic' about ongoing trials.
Media: Betraying My Friends Crossing a Huge Gap on a Zipline [VR] (NSFW).
The new canopener nibbles on a box truck. Thanks Boing Boing.
1818 to 1890s Bicycle Models (from 1915 Documentary).
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 23:07 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 19:15:
Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 14:18:
The researchers from Jichi Medical University suspected that ramen, which is high in sodium, might be linked to higher risk of strokes and heart attacks.

There's also been a lot of science over the last decade showing sodium might not be quite the boogerman it was once thought to be.

Still, before you despair and give up ramen altogether, the study’s limitations should be noted. The researchers themselves say that they were unable to obtain precise data on stroke victims’ diets, so they could not directly assess whether ramen intake increased stroke risk but simply established a link to be further explored.

So in other words...clickbait.
Not clickbait. They showed a correlation, but not causation.
That said, that the combination of refined starch, high sodium, and red meat daily could cause strokes should be obvious. These guys just quantified it somewhat.

Exactly correlation is not causation ergo the title is intentionally misleading. They suspect, they're not actually linking anything.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 23:05 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 19:06:
Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 16:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 15:02:
Once again our resident lawyer has no understanding of law.
It is illegal to set up devices in your home to protect it from intruders, if those devices can cause harm.

The legal argument is that life is more valued than property and that the devices have no means of preventing accidental harm or distinguishing between targets.

Even if the trap targets a criminal, the trap-setter, though having the right to protect their home, has no right to determine the punishment.
The above was not difficult to find, it was in the link.

Yes, I read that. The argument makes no sense. You're allowed to shoot intruders but not set traps for them. I don't have any crayons to explain to you how that's completely illogical.
When you employ the Castle Doctrine, you are ostensibly using it to protect your or your loved one's lives from an immediate threat. The trap, however, operates regardless of if there is life to protect or not. The lack of discrimination is what makes it illegal, as illustrated so perfectly by the above story.

It's not a lack of discrimination, it's there to stop criminal trespassers. If I'm not breaking into your home then I'm not going to get shot, am I? They state it as the value of life is more important then the contents in the home. That's some bullshit liberal activism right there. So the value of criminal life is more important than a law abiding citizen's rights? Fucking typical liberal bullshit. And it's not just the castle doctrine anyway. Private property! Trespassers will be shot! That ring any bells?

Christ, it's asinine that someone even needs a sign that says "No Trespassing". We're not talking about someone mistakenly wandering onto private land out in the middle of nowhere where they're likely unaware they're actually trespassing. Citing the case where they awarded a criminal 30 grand is just a perfect example of the insanity of unchecked liberalism - and why liberal democracy is dying the world over and rightfully so.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 19:15 jdreyer

The researchers from Jichi Medical University suspected that ramen, which is high in sodium, might be linked to higher risk of strokes and heart attacks.

There's also been a lot of science over the last decade showing sodium might not be quite the boogerman it was once thought to be.

Still, before you despair and give up ramen altogether, the study’s limitations should be noted. The researchers themselves say that they were unable to obtain precise data on stroke victims’ diets, so they could not directly assess whether ramen intake increased stroke risk but simply established a link to be further explored.

Not clickbait. They showed a correlation, but not causation.
That said, that the combination of refined starch, high sodium, and red meat daily could cause strokes should be obvious. These guys just quantified it somewhat.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 19:06 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 16:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 15:02:
It is illegal to set up devices in your home to protect it from intruders, if those devices can cause harm.

The legal argument is that life is more valued than property and that the devices have no means of preventing accidental harm or distinguishing between targets.

Even if the trap targets a criminal, the trap-setter, though having the right to protect their home, has no right to determine the punishment.

Yes, I read that. The argument makes no sense. You're allowed to shoot intruders but not set traps for them. I don't have any crayons to explain to you how that's completely illogical.
When you employ the Castle Doctrine, you are ostensibly using it to protect your or your loved one's lives from an immediate threat. The trap, however, operates regardless of if there is life to protect or not. The lack of discrimination is what makes it illegal, as illustrated so perfectly by the above story.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 18:55 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 13:39:
Booby traps on private property are illegal, but I'm not sure the punishment fit the crime.

#DarwinAward
Especially ironic, as the trap was ostensibly to protect him.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 18:27 1badmf

have the Blue Ducks fled already?  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 17:31 RedEye9

The beginning of the 1818 to 1890s Bicycle video reminded me of Smarter Every Day's The Backwards Brain Bicycle.
It's still my favorite SED video.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 17:11 Hoop

That little guy is a survivor, keep a look out over Winter, see if he accesses other stashes.  

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 17:05 Cutter

Hope this works. Never ULd a video to Youtube before.

Mole foraging for corn in snow

As I said, it was weird he made a beeline for that spot which is about 10 feet from where he lives. And where he lives is where I have one sheltered bird platform there, and this is where the all the animals around there mow down. And they spill a ton of food on the ground in the process.

Right after the vid ended went in and grabbed a handful of corn and tossed a few more kernals down and he ate them. Then he went home and I dropped another fistful of corn around his house. Moles eat corn, who knew?

6. removed Dec 1, 2019, 16:44 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 2, 2019, 08:10.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 16:39 Kxmode

Booby traps: Man in Maine killed by own device

Looks like a victim of Galileo's principle.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 16:12 Hoop

Caught a little video of it, I'll try and post it up somewhere later.

That would be cool.

Um .. Behind you...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 15:02 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 14:18 Cutter

Yep, snowing like a mother here. And it's that icy sleety granular snow. Coolest thing ever. A little mole came out of his home today to dig up some corn he had stashed. Totally blew me away given it's cold and snowing. So I watched where he went home and took a handful of corn and stuff and dumped it right by where he lives. So hopefully he can take it in and stash it. That's really weird as everything I read says they pretty much live on bug, earthworms mainly. Caught a little video of it, I'll try and post it up somewhere later.

Police found a door had been designed to fire a handgun should anyone attempt to enter. Mr Cyr was taken to hospital but died of his injuries.

It is not uncommon for home-owners to install such traps - but it is illegal.

Not uncommon? Paranoid much?

Well what the hell's the difference? So you can shoot an intruder in your home but a trap set do the exact same thing isn't copacetic? In what universe does that make sense?

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 13:39 RedEye9

Booby traps on private property are illegal, but I'm not sure the punishment fit the crime.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >