Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live

The No Man's Sky Website has details on the Synthesis update mentiond yesterday, saying this is now live in Hello Games' space exploration game. This updates the game to version 2.2, and these patch notes have all the specifics. Here's the overview:
Itís strange to think that itís only been a few months since we released Beyond, our largest and most ambitious update for No Manís Sky. That update now feels so integral that itís hard to remember a time before you could experience the game in VR, milk an alien creature, or visit the Space Anomaly to group up with other explorers on multiplayer missions.

Since then, the pace hasnít let up. While the team has continued to dream up content for the next steps of our ongoing journey, weíve also listened to the voices in the community to help shape a more immediate update. Weíve taken your feedback, combined it with our own, and put together a set of polish and quality of life fixes that we are calling the Synthesis update.

Thanksgiving feels like the right time for this release. Thank you, everyone, for supporting this game that means so much to us. Your passion is an essential part of this journey.

Synthesis launches on all platforms today, free for all existing players. This update is intended to bring a number of meaningful improvements to the moment-to-moment experience of playing No Manís Sky, and also to broaden the end-game possibilities for our most veteran players. We hope you enjoy it, and we look forward to bringing you more features and content for the game soon.
View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 9, 2019, 13:27 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 14:36:
UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 01:02:
Ahh so the mining laser is firing. Sounds like the problem with aiming I mentioned before. Even tried it in first person view for gits and shiggles and man its even worse there.
If it really is just a problem with the aiming mechanism it is ridiculously bad...

Bad news. Its not just an aiming bug. Just tried out the Nautilon minng beam and on top of the horrible aiming it canít mine large mineral objects (possibly plant too). Apparently, if you get close enough to a large mining object you will see the Ďmining ringí along with a label saying it requires the Adv Mining Laser. Only problem, there doesnít appear to be an Adv Mining Laser for the Nautilon. . Havent seen it in the anomaly exocraft store or anywhere else.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2019, 13:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 6, 2019, 22:27 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 30, 2019, 13:34:
Now it seems my video card can't deal with whatever NMS is trying to do for that very same base. Basically all the entities do not display/plot. This limits the useful of the "farm" since I can't actually see all the plants to harvest them.
I managed to find a work around for this until I get off my butt and buy my new PC. I built a "Save Point" next to the Fungal Cluster farm. I just save, back out to the selection screen, and then reload the game. Since the Fungal Clusters are one of the first things I see / get loaded, most of them plot most of the time. If needed, after farming all I can see, I can repeat the process and usually any I missed before will plot the second time around (the harvested plants are much smaller and I'm guessing hence use less video memory). Pretty clunky but it gets the job done.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

41. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 5, 2019, 14:36 Mr. Tact

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 01:02:
Ahh so the mining laser is firing. Sounds like the problem with aiming I mentioned before. Even tried it in first person view for gits and shiggles and man its even worse there.
If it really is just a problem with the aiming mechanism it is ridiculously bad...

40. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 5, 2019, 01:02 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 21:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 19:24:
Hmm, toggling between weapon and mining... excellent guess. I had forgotten about that, good chance that was the problem. I'll report back after I check it out.
Well, it might have been a toggle problem, but overall it simply doesn't work well. I verified while being outside this large thing could be mined. Get in and try, and I can't mine it. I am moving the beam all over the thing. Eventually I see some "damage" numbers and keep the beam where I am seeing it. But it mines something behind the thing I am aiming and clearly hitting. So... yeah not good.

39. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 3, 2019, 21:07 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 19:24:
Hmm, toggling between weapon and mining... excellent guess. I had forgotten about that, good chance that was the problem. I'll report back after I check it out.
Well, it might have been a toggle problem, but overall it simply doesn't work well. I verified while being outside this large thing could be mined. Get in and try, and I can't mine it. I am moving the beam all over the thing. Eventually I see some "damage" numbers and keep the beam where I am seeing it. But it mines something behind the thing I am aiming and clearly hitting. So... yeah not good.

38. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 3, 2019, 20:42 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 12:56:
Interestingly, I was ignoring this problem and just going about playing the game. Eventually I wanted to farm some carbon, so I went to a "paradise" planet with low sentinel activity, and not long after landing and starting to walk, my video card spun up and seemed to be working hard. It seemed like it really was having problems with a small lake, I'm guessing reflections were kicking its butt. Anyway... I don't get this spinning up at my base where I have all the Fungal Clusters planted, it makes me wonder what the actual problem is displaying those plants....
Then again... next time I was on the same planet farming some more carbon my video card didn't seem to fire up as much... beats me what the hell NMS is doing...

37. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 3, 2019, 19:24 Mr. Tact

36. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 3, 2019, 19:15 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 23:07:
UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 12:01:
On an unrelated note. Was it my imagination or for a day or two after the initial Synthesis Update were the Mining Lasers/Cannons targeting fixed on the Exo-Craft?
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a similar one myself. I have been doing the Nautilon quest line and recently installed the Tethys Beam (mining beam) but it doesn't seem to work... I couldn't mine anything with it.

Also, did they "bust" npcs using landing pads at your base? I have three of them at my base and I see npc ships circling my base as they always did in the past, but none of the are landing as they did in the past... Was also annoyed to see they didn't make a way to end the ever repeating base computer quest line. In addition to that, I have some kind of left over Exocraft Technician quest line which I can't dismiss. I like the game, but it has several of these annoying little left over problems which they really should have gotten to by now...

Havent gotten my Nautilon working yet, gotta get a fuel cell made. If its like the other exocraft try toggling the weapon select. I know on my Roamer it defaults to cannon (which i dont have installed) so when I try to fire the mining laser nothing happens. Toggle weapon select and miner fires.

The problem i was referring to was the inability to aim the laser because the aiming dot is in the middle of the screen which places it directly on the back of them mining laser / cannon youíre trying to fire. Making it dang near impossible to see where youíre aiming.

35. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 3, 2019, 12:56 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 30, 2019, 16:31:
The weird part was the video card does not spin up much... So, it doesn't seem like it working hard. I'm going to have to try some other things and see if I can get it to work hard... it actually might just be the card is finally dying. Although I have not seen any other indications of problems. But it is mostly moot since it is highly likely I'll get the new PC after New Years.
Interestingly, I was ignoring this problem and just going about playing the game. Eventually I wanted to farm some carbon, so I went to a "paradise" planet with low sentinel activity, and not long after landing and starting to walk, my video card spun up and seemed to be working hard. It seemed like it really was having problems with a small lake, I'm guessing reflections were kicking its butt. Anyway... I don't get this spinning up at my base where I have all the Fungal Clusters planted, it makes me wonder what the actual problem is displaying those plants....

34. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 3, 2019, 00:19 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 13:12:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 09:33:
Hmm, I have a Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz which is a good 7 years old at this point, and I recently replaced my GTX 670 with a 1080Ti no problem. That said, I'm on Win 10.
Yeah, I'm guessing someone more experienced at swapping cards in and out of Win7 could have figured it out, but for me it was the first time it wasn't easy... My system is just over 7 years old too, and I probably would have replaced it already if Win10 didn't make me cringe so much.
Maybe a clean driver install with Display Driver Uninstaller.
That being said, a 7yo Win 7 installation probably has enough windows creep that it's due for a clean install.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

ďIf the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.Ē

33. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 2, 2019, 23:07 Mr. Tact

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 12:01:
On an unrelated note. Was it my imagination or for a day or two after the initial Synthesis Update were the Mining Lasers/Cannons targeting fixed on the Exo-Craft?
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a similar one myself. I have been doing the Nautilon quest line and recently installed the Tethys Beam (mining beam) but it doesn't seem to work... I couldn't mine anything with it.

Also, did they "bust" npcs using landing pads at your base? I have three of them at my base and I see npc ships circling my base as they always did in the past, but none of the are landing as they did in the past... Was also annoyed to see they didn't make a way to end the ever repeating base computer quest line. In addition to that, I have some kind of left over Exocraft Technician quest line which I can't dismiss. I like the game, but it has several of these annoying little left over problems which they really should have gotten to by now...

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2019, 07:04.

32. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 2, 2019, 13:12 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 09:33:
Hmm, I have a Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz which is a good 7 years old at this point, and I recently replaced my GTX 670 with a 1080Ti no problem. That said, I'm on Win 10.
Yeah, I'm guessing someone more experienced at swapping cards in and out of Win7 could have figured it out, but for me it was the first time it wasn't easy... My system is just over 7 years old too, and I probably would have replaced it already if Win10 didn't make me cringe so much.

31. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 2, 2019, 12:01 UttiniDaKilrJawa

afka Rossini wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 20:20:
UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 15:10:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 12:42:
afka Rossini wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 12:24:
The features that really caught my eye in this update are...

- Ability to customize any ship by adding up to 48 cargo slots and (it seems like) 15 tech slots. It's expensive as all hell but great for making exotics useful.

- Ability to bump you ship's class up to Sigma quality. This is arguably more expensive than adding slots because you pay in nanites (tens of thousands of them!!!).

- You can now have multiple Multi-tools.

- There's a s*** f*** ton of base building improvements plus a terrain modifier mode that lets you clear an area so it's perfectly flat.
Thanks for the info, afka Rossini. Those are some damn cool updates. Especially the ability to upgrade the number of slot on ships. Exotics used to just be for show, they were not practical to use. Although that was alleviated somewhat by the higher capacities to inventory slots. Basically the only thing I've heard which I didn't care for was the update which added the power system for the bases. In talking with someone who still plays a fair bit it sounds like no gain for some added pain. Not terrible, but certainly not a QOL addition...

Maybe I'll get it fired up this weekend...

Yeah, the NMS power system is something I'm still getting used to. (been back for a couple of weeks). Overall , its not too bad with the exception of the ugly blue/red wires that exist everywhere now. If you could make those invisible then I'd like it a whole lot better.

There are a couple of things you can do. If you use the small structure rooms like the cube, glass cube, etc. they will pass power between each other and automatically to things you put on the walls like Trade Terminals or on the floor like Medium Refiners, Hydroponics trays, etc. You just need to connect one structure to a power source. So if you're using solar panels on a roof, you can just connect to the nearest structure and the power flows without additional wires.

If you bring power from a distant source like geothermal plants, you can always run the wire underground. I do that by digging a fairly deep hole near the generators and then another one next to my base. I put batteries at the bottom of each hole to act as junctions. (You don't actually need to use batteries but I find them convenient) Run the wire at the generator to the bottom of the nearby hole and attach it to a battery. Start another wire from the other side of the battery and jetpack out of the hole and string the wire to the battery at the bottom the hole at the base. At this point you can discretely wire from the bottom of the base hole to where you need it. Once done, fill in the holes.

I need to experiment with the preconstructed / cuboid rooms and the power a bit more. I didn't realize about the power transfer through those. Thought about digging under as well...just find it....time consuming hehe.

One thing I did see on YouTube, one streamer showed off a way of using the small half-wall and flooring to create subfloors which he would wire up then build on top of. Even when the subfloors were sealed you could still link wires through the floor into the "living" area thanks to the power wires "magnetic" like attraction to the outlets. Was kind of neat.

Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bQkH_pQr-k

30. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Dec 2, 2019, 09:33 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2019, 14:21:
What's your system specs? Maybe you just need a new GPU.
I do need a new GPU. I currently have a GeForce GTX 660 Ti, with 2 GB of memory. I tried about two years ago to upgrade to a 1070 but the system wouldn't allow the normal "pull the old card, insert the new card, bootup, OS calls for a driver disk, *blam* everything works". I messed with it for a bit, but eventually just gave up and went back to the 660. Now with Win7 going off maintenance, I'll probably buy a new PC after the new year. For the record, the CPU is a i7-3770 @ 3.4 Ghz and I am running 32 GB of system memory. I realize this is "old gear" but it is very disappointing I could go from everything working absolutely fine with no problems to not everything gets displayed in an update.

The weird part was the video card does not spin up much... So, it doesn't seem like it working hard. I'm going to have to try some other things and see if I can get it to work hard... it actually might just be the card is finally dying. Although I have not seen any other indications of problems. But it is mostly moot since it is highly likely I'll get the new PC after New Years.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

29. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Nov 30, 2019, 23:12 Mr. Tact

File verification completed without finding an issue, and it didn't seem to have any effect.

One good thing, one bad thing: I see they finally fixed the discovery uploads, one button for everything. Awesome. And I see you still land at the base computer instead of the teleportation ring when teleporting to your base -- SOMETIMES. I haven't done extensive testing but out of several tps, I think it has been roughly evenly split...

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2019, 09:42.

28. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Nov 30, 2019, 22:59 Mr. Tact

afka Rossini wrote on Nov 30, 2019, 21:00:
I had a weird 'triangle' problem a few weeks back in NMS. I did a verify of the game files in Steam and it cleared up.
Triangle problem? Can you explain that? I'll try a verify...

27. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Nov 30, 2019, 21:00 afka Rossini

I do need a new GPU. I currently have a GeForce GTX 660 Ti, with 2 GB of memory. I tried about two years ago to upgrade to a 1070 but the system wouldn't allow the normal "pull the old card, insert the new card, bootup, OS calls for a driver disk, *blam* everything works". I messed with it for a bit, but eventually just gave up and went back to the 660. Now with Win7 going off maintenance, I'll probably buy a new PC after the new year. For the record, the CPU is a i7-3770 @ 3.4 Ghz and I am running 32 GB of system memory. I realize this is "old gear" but it is very disappointing I could go from everything working absolutely fine with no problems to not everything gets displayed in an update.

I had a weird 'triangle' problem a few weeks back in NMS. I did a verify of the game files in Steam and it cleared up.

26. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Nov 30, 2019, 16:31 Mr. Tact

25. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Nov 30, 2019, 14:21 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 30, 2019, 13:34:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 23:31:
*sigh* Of course there isn't a hot spot for power within the confines of my existing base. But worse, I am seeing serious issues with everything plotting. At first I thought it was just "old" stuff but I built some solar panels and batteries and after leaving the game and returning they were not plotting either. This was not an issue when I last played roughly a year ago....
The good news: From looking around I figured out you can "extend your base area" up to 1000u. Fortunately for me I found an energy "hotspot" about 650u from my base. So I was able to hook up my base with "free" energy..

The bad news: It does appear my aging PC finally bit me. Apparently the GPU load in NMS has gone up significantly in the last 11 months. Despite having been able to interact with my base 11 months ago without any problems. Now it seems my video card can't deal with whatever NMS is trying to do for that very same base. Basically all the entities do not display/plot. This limits the useful of the "farm" since I can't actually see all the plants to harvest them. However, outside this issue, I haven't noticed any video problems.

That said, I am really enjoying some of the new features. Like upgrading my 'S' class fighter to have 48/12 slots. Very cool.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. Re: No Man's Sky Synthesis Update Live Nov 30, 2019, 13:34 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 23:31:
*sigh* Of course there isn't a hot spot for power within the confines of my existing base. But worse, I am seeing serious issues with everything plotting. At first I thought it was just "old" stuff but I built some solar panels and batteries and after leaving the game and returning they were not plotting either. This was not an issue when I last played roughly a year ago....
The good news: From looking around I figured out you can "extend your base area" up to 1000u. Fortunately for me I found an energy "hotspot" about 650u from my base. So I was able to hook up my base with "free" energy..

The bad news: It does appear my aging PC finally bit me. Apparently the GPU load in NMS has gone up significantly in the last 11 months. Despite having been able to interact with my base 11 months ago without any problems. Now it seems my video card can't deal with whatever NMS is trying to do for that very same base. Basically all the entities do not display/plot. This limits the useful of the "farm" since I can't actually see all the plants to harvest them. However, outside this issue, I haven't noticed any video problems.

That said, I am really enjoying some of the new features. Like upgrading my 'S' class fighter to have 48/12 slots. Very cool.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >