Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating the occasion. As usual, I sincerely hope you have lots to be thankful for whether or not this is a holiday for you. I certainly have lots to appreciate, including the fact that you are reading these words and helping make this site what it is. On a related note, I am always immensely grateful to Frans for his tireless help in keeping things rolling here, but this year in particular Frans' and Kxmode's incredible efforts at implementing our ongoing responsive redesign deserve particular recognition. I cannot thank either of them enough. Their work continues, and Frans has been knocking himself out preparing a version 4.02 update that should roll out very soon with additional tweaks and improvements. So there. Thanks for your participation and thanks to Kxmode and Frans. I don't know what I'd do without all of you.

Thankful Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: The most infamous balloon accidents from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
We Tried 8 Methods of Cooking Bacon and Found an Absolute Winner. Winner, winner... Thanks Neutronbeam.
The Expanse: Catch Up Guide Before Season 4 Premieres. Thanks Acleacius.
Stories: That time Benjamin Franklin tried (and failed) to electrocute a turkey.
Thanksgiving weather: Bomb cyclone snow may affect Sunday travelers.
Thanksgiving 2019: Grandmother who texted the wrong teen will share her fourth holiday with him.
Science: Parkinson's Patients are Mysteriously Losing the Ability to Swim After Treatment.
Media: Pets Talk - Holidays.
The Ants.
Why Hayao Miyazaki's Animation Feels Alive.
Follow-up: Toys R Us makes its return- here's what you need to know about the store.
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 23:00 RedEye9

MattyC wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 23:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 13:01:
I like inexpensive quality headphones.
The Philips SHP9500 are $55.
and it's bigger brother is $100 Philips Fidelio X2HR

Is $100 still considered inexpensive? I havenít bought any cans in several years but I donít think any of my Sennheisers, ATH, or Beyerdynamics were really much north of that. I kind of considered those splurges since it isnít like I do actual audio work or anything.
I'm not an audiophile so I don't know the answer to your query. I do know the skies the limit when it comes to the amount of $$$ you can spend on headphones.
My untrained ears would not be able to tell the difference between motherboard sound on $50 cans versus a tube amp pushing $500 dollar monitors.
I own the 9500's and think they're fine.

ďIf the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.Ē
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2019, 22:29 Ant

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 15:46:
Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 15:00:
Huh, to think I used to really enjoy doing this sort of thing. Now it's just a PITA. You know you're getting older when...
Yep. I gave up on it over a decade ago. I'd rather avoid the pain and just fork over some money. It looks like I'll probably spend close to $3k to get a replacement for my seven year old Win7 box early next year. I know I could get it for less, a lot less if I built it myself, but it just isn't worth it to me.
Ditto. I don't even play video games like I used to so I don't need to upgrade like crazy for them (still need to go back to Oblivion's side quests). I still use my decade old PCs! I rarely come to BN too (once a week for popular and top stories on Sundays).

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2019, 01:00 jdreyer

heroin wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 09:40:
I haven't tried cooking bacon on parchment yet - but the best way I've found to cook bacon is in a toaster oven on broil; that get's a good texture and consistency.
Until it catches fire.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 23:27 MattyC

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 13:01:

Is $100 still considered inexpensive? I havenít bought any cans in several years but I donít think any of my Sennheisers, ATH, or Beyerdynamics were really much north of that. I kind of considered those splurges since it isnít like I do actual audio work or anything.

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 15:46 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 15:00:
Huh, to think I used to really enjoy doing this sort of thing. Now it's just a PITA. You know you're getting older when...
Yep. I gave up on it over a decade ago. I'd rather avoid the pain and just fork over some money. It looks like I'll probably spend close to $3k to get a replacement for my seven year old Win7 box early next year. I know I could get it for less, a lot less if I built it myself, but it just isn't worth it to me.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 15:00 Cutter

Rigs wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 22:42:
Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 21:57:
You know what I'm not thankful for? Shopping for a new PC. I'm going cock-eyed - and not the dirty, fun sort of way - looking at 50 million different things. This mobo or that? What fans? What RAM? What case? Ugh. I'd rather just take the skinheads bowling, take them bowling.

I went thru the same process you are, Cutter, a few months ago! Even though I follow new boards pretty regularly, I was still at a loss when confronted with actually buying one worth the money. I knew I wanted to stay Intel, which cut my board choice, no joke, by like 75%. There's a freakin' million different AM4 boards out there but the Intel side is pretty slim in comparison. Then you get confused with the chipsets - X299? X399? Z370? Z390? I feel like I'm back in the 286/386/486 days! But I'll tell you, if you want a good Intel board for the money, I found that the MSI Z390 MPG Gaming Edge AC board that I use is pretty good. The right set of features for the right price, though I would have loved to have gotten an EVGA X299 DARK board or a Gigabyte Z390 Designare. But they were way more than I wanted to spend on just a motherboard. Then I grabbed a Core i5-9400f, which, to be fair, is a bit limited but was still miles better than my first gen i5-750! And it had two more cores than the 750, 4 vs 6. If you can, I'd go all the way to a i9-9900k. It's more expensive but still a good deal for the money. Grab 16gb of DDR4 and you're set. I still have to get myself a case, I'm actually using an old DELL 2000-aughts era steel case that I had my old system in, but cases are more personal choice since most new ones have the same set of features unless you're looking for something specific, like fan controllers or RGB.

=-Rigs-=

Well, I've finally narrowed most of it down. For case I'm going with a be quiet! 600. I wanted the 500 series but I can't find one here and importing them is out of the question as shipping is more expensive than the fucking case itself. So I reckon I'll just go with all BQ fans and CPU fan too - maybe Corsair, we'll see. I was considering the Fractal Design Meshify C but I want quiet foremost and don't really care about LED displays.

I'm going all AMD as it's always way better value here. 3700x CPU and 5700xt card and X570 mobo. Going MSI for the card and mobo this time around as all the reviews seem to show they slightly edge out the competition. Not sure about RAM but I'll probably stick with Corsair. 3600mhz seems to be the best value for the dollar atm so 16gb of that.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 13:51 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 10:24:
1badmf wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 01:18:
WarPig wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 00:34:
I've been a Cowboy fan since '72 and by about game six into this season I was predicting a 8-8 season. Which is looking likely, plus or minus a game...
I don't get the Cowboys. Personnel wise, it seems like should stack up with anyone - especially on offense. Very good o-line, great running back, very good receivers, and a good to very good quarterback. Is it Kellen Moore? I'm a huge Kellen Moore fan ever since he played high-school ball a half hour from me, but he did get thrust into the o-coordinator role pretty quickly. He's pretty much a "football savant" and I get the Cowboys not wanting to lose him, but experience still counts.
dak is overrated, plain and simple, esp. by diehard cowboys fans. put aaron rodgers back there and that's a contender easy.
Yeah... I don't know what the problem is precisely, but if you are a big football fan after watching the first 5-6 games of the season it was clear something was wrong. If I had to pick something I'd have to go with the coaching. Which feels like a copout, because I can't really point to any specific issues. I'd like to blame it on Jerry Jones but as much as I dislike his antics, the team does have a lot of talent on it. *shrug*

Coaching is usually the culprit in these cases. You have a lot of raw talent but it doesn't gel into a team. And it's not always replacing the coach but them changing how they do things. Look at SF and Buffalo this year. Doing nothing for years and all of a sudden BAM! Point in fact, at this point I'm thinking SF - or the Pats - will probably take it all this year.

If you get a chance read When Pride Still Mattered : A Life Of Vince Lombardi. Awesome biography about Lombardi and how and why he coached as he did. He walked into Green Bay when they were perennial losers and within a season turned them into one of the best teams in football history. The very first thing he said to the team when he met them was, "Gentlemen, winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. I'm here to break you of that habit." And the rest is history.

I agree Dak is overrated but there's enough talent on that team that the Cowboys should be doing much better. It's definitely a coaching staff issue.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 13:01 RedEye9

ďIf the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.Ē

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 10:24 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Nov 29, 2019, 01:18:
I've been a Cowboy fan since '72 and by about game six into this season I was predicting a 8-8 season. Which is looking likely, plus or minus a game...
I don't get the Cowboys. Personnel wise, it seems like should stack up with anyone - especially on offense. Very good o-line, great running back, very good receivers, and a good to very good quarterback. Is it Kellen Moore? I'm a huge Kellen Moore fan ever since he played high-school ball a half hour from me, but he did get thrust into the o-coordinator role pretty quickly. He's pretty much a "football savant" and I get the Cowboys not wanting to lose him, but experience still counts.
dak is overrated, plain and simple, esp. by diehard cowboys fans. put aaron rodgers back there and that's a contender easy.
Yeah... I don't know what the problem is precisely, but if you are a big football fan after watching the first 5-6 games of the season it was clear something was wrong. If I had to pick something I'd have to go with the coaching. Which feels like a copout, because I can't really point to any specific issues. I'd like to blame it on Jerry Jones but as much as I dislike his antics, the team does have a lot of talent on it. *shrug*

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 09:40 heroin

I haven't tried cooking bacon on parchment yet - but the best way I've found to cook bacon is in a toaster oven on broil; that get's a good texture and consistency.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 05:47  Frans 

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 14:20:
As for Frans, he's new here
Considering I've been involved with the site since 1999 as news editor (until 2002), sysadmin and programmer, you have a really strange definition of "new here".

-- Frans

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 01:18 1badmf

dak is overrated, plain and simple, esp. by diehard cowboys fans. put aaaron rodgers back there and that's a contender easy.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 00:34 WarPig

GO SEAHAWKS!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 23:16 MattyC

Happy gluttony day to all.  

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 22:44 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 21:00:
How about them cowboys.
It was two teams who going into this game had a combined zero wins against teams with winning records... which shows you how important schedule can be in the NFL. Both teams are paper lions. I've been a Cowboy fan since '72 and by about game six into this season I was predicting a 8-8 season. Which is looking likely, plus or minus a game...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 22:42 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 21:57:
You know what I'm not thankful for? Shopping for a new PC. I'm going cock-eyed - and not the dirty, fun sort of way - looking at 50 million different things. This mobo or that? What fans? What RAM? What case? Ugh. I'd rather just take the skinheads bowling, take them bowling.

I went thru the same process you are, Cutter, a few months ago! Even though I follow new boards pretty regularly, I was still at a loss when confronted with actually buying one worth the money. I knew I wanted to stay Intel, which cut my board choice, no joke, by like 75%. There's a freakin' million different AM4 boards out there but the Intel side is pretty slim in comparison. Then you get confused with the chipsets - X299? X399? Z370? Z390? I feel like I'm back in the 286/386/486 days! But I'll tell you, if you want a good Intel board for the money, I found that the MSI Z390 MPG Gaming Edge AC board that I use is pretty good. The right set of features for the right price, though I would have loved to have gotten an EVGA X299 DARK board or a Gigabyte Z390 Designare. But they were way more than I wanted to spend on just a motherboard. Then I grabbed a Core i5-9400f, which, to be fair, is a bit limited but was still miles better than my first gen i5-750! And it had two more cores than the 750, 4 vs 6. If you can, I'd go all the way to a i9-9900k. It's more expensive but still a good deal for the money. Grab 16gb of DDR4 and you're set. I still have to get myself a case, I'm actually using an old DELL 2000-aughts era steel case that I had my old system in, but cases are more personal choice since most new ones have the same set of features unless you're looking for something specific, like fan controllers or RGB.

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 21:57 Cutter

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 21:00 RedEye9

How about them cowboys.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 17:27 Staunch

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 16:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 13:23:
Blue, please let us show more thanks to you by creating a Patreon (or similar funding tool) account.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Yes, let us throw money at you.

+1

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 17:02 eRe4s3r

Rigs wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 15:15:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 14:20:
And about those t-shirts ...
Please!! I NEED a new t-shirt! Mine has maybe two or three washes in it left before it comes out in tatters. That will be a very sad day indeed...and it's so freakin' easy to get a shirt customized these days, too...
Thanksgiving weather: Bomb cyclone snow may affect Sunday travelers.

Ok, say it with me now...'Not every bad winter storm during the holidays is a fucking BOMB cyclone!' ...the media gets hold of a new buzzword and then they use it for everything! Cold front? No, POLAR VORTEX! Strong Pacific storm rolling across the U.S. during Thanksgiving holiday? Bomb Cyclone! Stormageddon! Ice-pocalypse! Snow-cane!

Christ! Enough!

=-Rigs-=

Don't watch it and they stop doing it. Well, or maybe not ;/

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >