Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Play Overwatch for Free

Overwatch can currently be played for free on Battle.net, kicking off a free week in the multiplayer shooter that will conclude on December 4th. For some reason this goes unmentioned on the Overwatch Website or the Blizzard Website, but we logged in with a smurf account and confirmed this to be the case. Here's word from a Blizzard email:
Assemble your friends and get ready to clash on the battlefields of tomorrow—for a limited time, you can play Overwatch free! Choose from 31 unique heroes, each with their own awe-inspiring abilities. Battle across a wide assortment of maps with varied objectives set around the world and lead your team to victory.

The free trial is live now and ends on December 4 at 11:59 p.m. PST. Call the shots when you play the ultimate team-based shooter.
View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 16:37 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 15:15:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 15:07:
That's also the premise for the awesome film Edge of Tomorrow.
Good film. Didn't see it in the theater but have seen it a couple of times on the movie channels. Groundhog Day meets the Omaha beach scene of Saving Private Ryan...

...meets Alien

One of my favorite movies.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 15:15 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 15:07:
Good film. Didn't see it in the theater but have seen it a couple of times on the movie channels. Groundhog Day meets the Omaha beach scene of Saving Private Ryan...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 15:07 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 02:35:
VoodooV wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 20:44:
I had my fun with Overwatch last year with some friends ...

There is only so many times you can die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/
die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/
die/respawn

Isn't that literally *every* MP shooter though?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 12:29 theglaze

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 11:57:
with so many shields in the game, the lack of a shieldbuster hero

Win the introduction of Sigma, this has never been more of an issue, especially within pug competitive matches (because players lack the coordination to effectively counter shields).

Bliz is experimenting with major shield nerfs in the PTR (notes here)

19. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 11:57 ColoradoHoudini

It probably has the most immediate positive feedback system, and the game plays "clean", I just got bored of it after all these years.

Of course there are some things that bugged me, like Rein being a less than useful tank who has a ultimate that gets interrupted far too often. Still underpowered or not correctly built heroes, with so many shields in the game, the lack of a shieldbuster hero (no, junkrat doesnt count, I mean a real shield buster or someone that makes tanks have to move).

18. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 08:45 theglaze

yuastnav wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 05:16:
deqer wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 00:13:
I feel sorry for the new people getting lured into a game like this. It looks so appealing on the outside, but it's terrible on the inside.

It's so sad because all they have to do is make a few changes, that goes against their philosophy, to fix it; but they won't. Therefore, this game is essentially just a "polished turd".

Such great potential. What a waste of good art and assets. What a shame.

What is so bad about it? Honest question. I've never played Overwatch and have no idea what it's about really, but I lived Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. From what I could see these are somewhat similar except you have heroes.

There's nothing 'wrong' with it, he's looking for different flavoring, so it just tastes like shit to him. Thankfully the FPS genre isn't sparse..

17. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 08:29 theglaze

Feeeeeeeed meeeeeeeee  

16. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 08:23 VoodooV

MoonSpook wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 05:48:
I had my fun with Overwatch last year with some friends. was fun while it lasted, but the repetitiveness got me in in the end.

There is only so many times you can die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/
die/respawn

...before it gets old

Exactly what I thought as I read that.. and also why I don't play MP shooters

Yeah, my last MP shooter before Overwatch was that old America's Army game back in the day. Again, had a lot of fun with it for a while, but the repetitiveness killed it for me in the end with that one too.

15. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 05:48 MoonSpook

I had my fun with Overwatch last year with some friends. was fun while it lasted, but the repetitiveness got me in in the end.

die/respawn

...before it gets old

Exactly what I thought as I read that.. and also why I don't play MP shooters

14. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 05:16 yuastnav

deqer wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 00:13:
I feel sorry for the new people getting lured into a game like this. It looks so appealing on the outside, but it's terrible on the inside.

It's so sad because all they have to do is make a few changes, that goes against their philosophy, to fix it; but they won't. Therefore, this game is essentially just a "polished turd".

What is so bad about it? Honest question. I've never played Overwatch and have no idea what it's about really, but I lived Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. From what I could see these are somewhat similar except you have heroes.

13. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 02:35 jdreyer

die/respawn

...before it gets old

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 02:35 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 20:41:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 20:35:
The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 19:52:
Free... if you don't mind supporting a company that clamps down on free speech because it might offend the Chinese government.
It's ok. The cancerous combover who thinks the highest office in the land is a bad reality TV host was forced into signing the Honk Kong resolution. All is well.

jerry-seinfeld-getting-up-to-leave.gif

Yeah, let's talk politics on a thread about video games. That'll go over soooo well. Rolleyes

Sorry, man. Blizzard started this shit. It's gonna take a while to forgive them.

11. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 02:25 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 20:18:
Free... if you don't mind supporting a company that clamps down on free speech because it might offend the Chinese government.

Please stop. This is not going to lead anywhere positive at the best, or end in a Thread Lock at the worst.

Not the same thing though. One is about attacking a protected racial group. The other is about attacking a corporation that feels it necessary to fellate the Chinese government.

10. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 02:22 jdreyer

Or you could set up 10000 virtual machines to play on automatic and suck all the bandwidth away from B.net.

9. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 28, 2019, 00:13 deqer

8. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 27, 2019, 23:23 Luke

Kxmode wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 20:41:
It's ok. The cancerous combover who thinks the highest office in the land is a bad reality TV host was forced into signing the Honk Kong resolution. All is well.

Yeah, let's talk politics on a thread about video games. That'll go over soooo well. Rolleyes

Well tell that to the Chinese gamer...who couldn't resist...what a plum

7. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 27, 2019, 22:07 Pigeon

die/respawn

...before it gets old

I loved this game till I didn't. I had a lot of fun with the ranked play, some amazing games with great teams... then there was the other 70% of the time. I morn the death of the hosted servers, it'd take a little searching but usually you could find a server with good, skilled player to low ass-hat ratio.

6. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 27, 2019, 21:46 Kxmode

die/respawn

...before it gets old

Agreed. I would like to see them create a proper single-player story driven game. I would buy and play that.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

5. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 27, 2019, 20:44 VoodooV

die/respawn

...before it gets old

4. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 27, 2019, 20:41 Kxmode

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >