Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Evening Legal Briefs

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 30, 2019, 03:17 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2019, 01:21:
bigspender wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 20:21:
The world has far exceeded it's quota of humans beings. We have no room or time for people who at actively working against the betterment of society.

Which is why the death penalty is appropriate for violent criminals. Of course the evidence needs to be strong to make sure its the right person getting removed. Not hard to to with so much video footage everywhere these days.

I dunno, police are routinely acquitted for shooting and killing unarmed civilians all the time, despite having explicit video evidence of the crimes.
Judge Dredd does not make mistakes.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 30, 2019, 01:21 jdreyer

The world has far exceeded it's quota of humans beings. We have no room or time for people who at actively working against the betterment of society.

Which is why the death penalty is appropriate for violent criminals. Of course the evidence needs to be strong to make sure its the right person getting removed. Not hard to to with so much video footage everywhere these days.

I dunno, police are routinely acquitted for shooting and killing unarmed civilians all the time, despite having explicit video evidence of the crimes.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2019, 10:54 Verno

Who is this "we" you're speaking of? You are not the arbiter of who gets to live or die. "We" already have a system in place to deal with violent criminals and it has nothing to do with this situation.

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office

23. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 20:51 RedEye9

NKD wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 20:38:

What does the death penalty have to do with this guys case? He wasn't sentenced to death, and is a free man, having served the sentence that the courts found appropriate.
Dude, one death would make a huge, I mean big big large huge difference in the total population count of humans on earth.
Probably the largest difference that could be made. Are you not thinking.
According to the Criminal Justice Project of the NAACP, there are 2,673 people on death row in the United States as of April 1, 2019.
All of the worlds problems would be solved. Whirled Peas would be a sure thing. We could eat animals again and it would actually be good for us and the environment.
As a matter of fact the death penalty should be applied to everything from jay walking, speeding and cursing. It's about time we cleaned up this place.

sigh

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

22. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 20:38 NKD

What does the death penalty have to do with this guys case? He wasn't sentenced to death, and is a free man, having served the sentence that the courts found appropriate.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

21. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 20:21 bigspender

20. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 19:41 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 17:20:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 16:51:
Free Ed will never fly with the R's. They'd lose their base overnight.
Ouch RedEye9.. you went full cynic there.
Maybe you aren't aware of what's currently in the White House. Wink
HINT: It was not elected by the best and the brightest

19. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 19:26 NKD

That's not really cynicism. It's a provable fact that the dumber you are, the more likely you are to vote (R).

The only counter to this that anyone on the right has is to pretend the surveys are rigged while providing no evidence.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 17:20 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 16:51:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 16:35:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 12:55:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 11:15:
It's even worse than not killing prisoners: we should give them college educations. Recidivism rates fall from 50% to 5% when you do that.

So you are saying if you want a paid for education that you should break the law and become a prisoner? What about the people trying to get that education without first becoming a prisoner?

Most of the current crop of candidates for president are advocating for some form of free college, so yes, it should be available to anybody.

Ouch RedEye9.. you went full cynic there.

17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 16:51 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 16:35:
It's even worse than not killing prisoners: we should give them college educations. Recidivism rates fall from 50% to 5% when you do that.

So you are saying if you want a paid for education that you should break the law and become a prisoner? What about the people trying to get that education without first becoming a prisoner?

Most of the current crop of candidates for president are advocating for some form of free college, so yes, it should be available to anybody.

16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 16:35 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 13:53 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I wasn't particularly interested in commenting on his specific crime, I'll stick with what I said.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 13:35 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 12:57:
While I believe many, if not most, criminals can be rehabilitated (but it ain't easy or cheap), I also believe there are crimes which revoke that privilege. I'm not saying the crime in this case is or isn't appropriate for rehabilitation. I can't read German and the BBC article is light on the facts and context of the events. However I am concerned/wonder about the curtailment of the rights of others to continue to publicize the facts of the crime.
Google Translate does it for you.
Plus many of the other on-line translation services also offer that feature.

13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 12:57 Mr. Tact

While I believe many, if not most, criminals can be rehabilitated (but it ain't easy or cheap), I also believe there are crimes which revoke that privilege. I'm not saying the crime in this case is or isn't appropriate for rehabilitation. I can't read German and the BBC article is light on the facts and context of the events. However I am concerned/wonder about the curtailment of the rights of others to continue to publicize the facts of the crime.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 12:55 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 11:40 RedEye9

You know facts are no longer welcome in this world, why do you continue to spew them.

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 11:15 jdreyer

9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 02:19 Orogogus

Asmodai wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 01:24:
We know Google alters search results (certainly does for China...)

Google has been blocked in China for almost 10 years.

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 01:24 Asmodai

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 19:33:
Good luck finding it when Google can't link to it by law.
There were murderers before Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee came along.

German law, not "rest of the world" law. We know Google alters search results (certainly does for China...) and tries to assist with blanking out history, but the more people try to hide the truth, the more it tends to escape.

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2019, 01:22 Asmodai

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 20:42:
And while you could argue that murderers should seriously never, ever get out of jail, ever. And I would be absolutely behind that if was premeditated murder. In reality once you serve your punishment you are legally in your right to demand to be handled like someone that may get a second chance in life to not be a total psycho.

I didn't mention sentencing, I mentioned consequences. I absolutely believe that once you serve your debt to society, you should not be held in prison indefinately. However, there are other life long effects of being a convicted murderer, eg. losing the right to vote, being required to declare your convicted felon status to employers. I find it impossible to be sympathetic to a fairly tried and convicted murderer who wants to escape the past.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >