Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Star Citizen Videos

This video offers a look at CitizenCon presentation of Star Citizen for those who did not attend (thanks C W). Word is: "Star Citizen Gameplay cut of their New CitizenCon 2019 Demo with the Carrack, Pisces, microTech, New Missions, Dynamic Weather, Jump Points and a New Star System, Pyro." There are also a bunch of new videos on the Star Citizen YouTube Page. These include looks at some of the ships that are part of the current free-fly event for the long-in-development space game and two videos showing the keynote from the show: CitizenCon 2949 - The Adventure Begins and CitizenCon 2949 - The Adventure Continues.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Star Citizen Videos Dec 3, 2019, 19:24 RedEye9

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 17:11:
My prediction: the game will be vastly more enjoyable in about 2-3 years but it will be about 4-5 years before NPCs, dynamic server meshing and gameplay systems get close to what people are expecting from the final release.
So only another $200 million to go.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Star Citizen Videos Dec 3, 2019, 19:23 RedEye9

Deleted  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

33. Re: Star Citizen Videos Dec 3, 2019, 17:11 theyarecomingforyou

VoodooV wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 13:14:
That's the core issue right there.

It's not whether or not this game will come out..
It's not whether or not they will deliver on the tech.

It's simply...will this game be any sustained fun?
Exactly. The majority of the gameplay will not resolve around combat, therefore it's about how enjoyable that's going to be. Different environments like those shown off will definitely help, where you have to take into account your oxygen supply or the temperature window of your outfit. But it really comes down to whether the game will be able to handle vast numbers of NPCs and use them to create compelling gameplay loops. PVP is important but even if there are millions of concurrent players and server meshing works as envisaged, the size of the universe means you're still talking about a very lower player density.

The game will add more ships, planets, moons, landing zones and even star systems but it still requires something to occupy your time. Quantum shows they're looking at a dynamic system to do just that but it's a massive undertaking.

My prediction: the game will be vastly more enjoyable in about 2-3 years but it will be about 4-5 years before NPCs, dynamic server meshing and gameplay systems get close to what people are expecting from the final release.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

32. Re: Star Citizen Videos Dec 2, 2019, 08:18 jdreyer

Main takeaways:
- You can make coffee.
- "A lot of love went into these pine trees."
- Fake Cortana is live.
- I can dress up for a party
- 1000 years in the future and they still haven't figured out window condensation.

Good stuff.

Imagine a season of Star Trek where each episode is 12 hours long instead of 1 hour because they included all the scenes of people eating, sleeping, and walking from the bridge to the engine room in real time.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

31. Re: Star Citizen Videos Dec 1, 2019, 13:14 VoodooV

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 30, 2019, 20:39:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 13:41:
beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice
theyarecomingforyou theyarecomingforyou theyarecomingforyou
I have been summoned.

As someone who attended CitizenCon this year and went on a studio tour, the presentation was decent as a tech showcase. However, it doesn't address the enjoyability of the game right now. It's still years off.

What I will say is that Theatres of War was a blast. I played a pre-release version in a 20v20 environment and I can see it being a popular game mode. It reminds me of Unreal Tournament with the phase-based objecttives.

That's the core issue right there.

It's not whether or not this game will come out..
It's not whether or not they will deliver on the tech.

It's simply...will this game be any sustained fun?

30. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 30, 2019, 21:57 RedEye9

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 30, 2019, 20:39:
I have been summoned.

As someone who attended CitizenCon this year and went on a studio tour, the presentation was decent as a tech showcase. However, it doesn't address the enjoyability of the game right now. It's still years off.

What I will say is that Theatres of War was a blast. I played a pre-release version in a 20v20 environment and I can see it being a popular game mode. It reminds me of Unreal Tournament with the phase-based objecttives.
Thanks for the update.

29. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 30, 2019, 20:39 theyarecomingforyou

I have been summoned.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

28. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 28, 2019, 21:24 VoodooV

Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 13:17:
VoodooV wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 08:19:
Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 21:25:
Tell us, what flavor is the kool-aid?

Btw I own some bridges in New York I'd love to sell you cheap.

so just posting to hear yourself talk. Standard post for you then. Gotcha.

But yet you're so, what you do hipster douchebags call it again? Triggered? You can't help yourself but reply. And clowns like you think you're better than clowns like Trump. That would be really funny if it wasn't so sad.

Again with the projection and non sequitors. Seek therapy dude. Seriously.

27. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 28, 2019, 13:39 Mr. Tact

VoodooV wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 21:00:
It's just so amusing to watch how triggered people get whenever there is any post about SC here. The frenzy it creates.
Not nearly as amusing as the people who continue to actively sing the praises of the game's "progress".

I honestly hope CR succeeds. But I wouldn't bet a singe penny on it. And I'm certainly unimpressed by everything they have shown to date. But hey, they might pull it out. I might also win the lottery. Stuff happens.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 28, 2019, 13:17 Cutter

VoodooV wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 08:19:

But yet you're so, what you do hipster douchebags call it again? Triggered? You can't help yourself but reply. And clowns like you think you're better than clowns like Trump. That would be really funny if it wasn't so sad.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

25. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 28, 2019, 12:14 ColoradoHoudini

I think what they are doing is awesome, and I hope it pans out.

What's the alternative, I get to point and laugh and be right and win...what exactly? I'd rather this game start something new than to flop.

24. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 28, 2019, 08:19 VoodooV

23. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 28, 2019, 08:12 NKD

Prez wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 00:06:
It's just so amusing to watch how triggered people get whenever there is any post about SC here. The frenzy it creates.

For the record, you don't sound amused but rather contentious and annoyed. And frenzy? 20 posts is hardly a frenzy. Star Citizen threads used to be guaranteed 100+ posts. The entertainment has kind of waned. At this point only those heavily invested in its success (or its failure) are paying much attention.

Yeah, I agree. Star Citizen posts aren't quite the source of laughs they used to be.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

22. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 28, 2019, 00:06 Prez

For the record, you don't sound amused but rather contentious and annoyed. And frenzy? 20 posts is hardly a frenzy. Star Citizen threads used to be guaranteed 100+ posts. The entertainment has kind of waned. At this point only those heavily invested in its success (or its failure) are paying much attention.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 27, 2019, 23:41 HorrorScope

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 12:45:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 12:38:
They're working on some cool tech and I think we all can agree we could use some advancement. How this plays out in the end, who knows, if for some reason it never releases some of the tech here makes it to others for other projects.

Dude. You really think someone is going to licence tech from a company that has never released anything and has actively scammed it's userbase for years on end?

You ever want to see some of this tech, you better hope they release something, anything really at this point.

Well I don't think the scammed part matters, but yeah it would be nice if some of this could be made available for others if never released. Why not?

20. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 27, 2019, 23:40 Steele Johnson

It looks like shit. I think it’s time they change the graphics engine again  

19. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 27, 2019, 21:25 Cutter

VoodooV wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 21:00:
Do you not get tired of this shit?

I mean if you've even taken a passing glance of the development of the game, you'd see that they're constantly making progress.

Is Chris Roberts the greatest project manager of all time. Hell no. But hey. How many game designers do you know pitch a game for only a relatively modest amount of money, tap into nerve of the gaming community that wants a complex space sim and literally backs up a dump truck full of cash so big that you have to rethink your original pitch and due to popular demand, have to think bigger. Let me know how you do

News flash: Chris Roberts is ambitious. If you didn't understand that going in, you never should have backed that going in. Just about every one of his games has pushed the envelope. Yet so many people seem shocked when he tries to push the envelope again.

Only the completely delusional still call it a scam. The game continues to progress whether you like it or not. Jump points are on their way to being added. More ships continue to get added. If this was a scam, it's the least efficient scam ever devised.

We're too far in now. The game is coming out. whether you like it or not. Even if somehow the funding goes belly up, (but wait, I was told many times that SC ran out of cash years ago....yet here we are) you know someone is going to step in and fund it the rest of the way. I mean, hell, the hard core backers will just put in more money to push it past the finish line. The only question is whether or not the game will be of any lasting fun or if we're going to get bored with it in a few months and move on to the next game.

how many people here even watched the fucking videos? or are you just caught up in the stigma?

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

18. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 27, 2019, 21:00 VoodooV

Do you not get tired of this shit?

I mean if you've even taken a passing glance of the development of the game, you'd see that they're constantly making progress.

Is Chris Roberts the greatest project manager of all time. Hell no. But hey. How many game designers do you know pitch a game for only a relatively modest amount of money, tap into nerve of the gaming community that wants a complex space sim and literally backs up a dump truck full of cash so big that you have to rethink your original pitch and due to popular demand, have to think bigger. Let me know how you do

News flash: Chris Roberts is ambitious. If you didn't understand that going in, you never should have backed that going in. Just about every one of his games has pushed the envelope. Yet so many people seem shocked when he tries to push the envelope again.

Only the completely delusional still call it a scam. The game continues to progress whether you like it or not. Jump points are on their way to being added. More ships continue to get added. If this was a scam, it's the least efficient scam ever devised.

We're too far in now. The game is coming out. whether you like it or not. Even if somehow the funding goes belly up, (but wait, I was told many times that SC ran out of cash years ago....yet here we are) you know someone is going to step in and fund it the rest of the way. I mean, hell, the hard core backers will just put in more money to push it past the finish line. The only question is whether or not the game will be of any lasting fun or if we're going to get bored with it in a few months and move on to the next game.

how many people here even watched the fucking videos? or are you just caught up in the stigma?

17. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 27, 2019, 20:39 Kxmode

verybad1 wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 18:57:
Not really at this point. It's gotten more production money than I think any video game out there. I feel bad for the people that did spend money on it, and I think that even IF it does become a good game, those people have been tricked.

The thing is a sham. The odds on it ever becoming a good game are zero IMO.

You're outside looking in. Only when full disclosure makes it evident that it was a scam from the beginning, or several years ago, then it is safe to state that. Until then, you cannot make that call. Unless you have insider knowledge, we don't. I assume you don't, but do tell if you do.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 27, 2019, 18:57 verybad1

Kxmode wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 18:46:
verybad1 wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 18:01:
Man I'm glad I never spent money on this...it's just so ridiculous.

Conversely, if it comes out and turns out to be a great, you'll be happy backers supported it. It's a big risk.
Not really at this point. It's gotten more production money than I think any video game out there. I feel bad for the people that did spend money on it, and I think that even IF it does become a good game, those people have been tricked.

The thing is a sham. The odds on it ever becoming a good game are zero IMO.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >