Out of the Blue

Had an Abbott and Costello moment this morning after MrsBlue emailed the sysadmin at work to get a password for the laptop she brought home for the weekend. I've changed his name and adjective to avoid a cybersecurity fail:

MrsBlue: Jim Rocks! Blue: He wrote you back?
MrsBlue: Yup. Blue: What was your password?
MrsBlue: Jim Rocks. Blue: Yeah, he got back to you fast. So what was it?
MrsBlue: Jim Rocks. Blue: Why are you...? Oh. Your password is "Jim Rocks?"
MrsBlue: How many times do you need me to tell you that? Blue: Who's on first?

Rockin' Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Star Wars Instant Pots invite you to cook out of Chewbacca’s chest. Who's been smoking the instant pot? Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: US life expectancy is still on the decline. Here's why. Thanks RedEye9.
Storms threaten Thanksgiving travel across U.S., hundreds of flights canceled in Denver.
Science: 18,000-Year-Old Puppy Found Frozen In Ice Could Be ‘Oldest Confirmed Dog’ Ever. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Media: The Gold Shirt.
We Made Star Wars R-Rated. Thanks Hypothermia.
If you grab a teacher's ankle... Easy way to get kicked in the face.
Follow-up: 1 year later, mystery surrounds China’s gene-edited babies.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Nov 28, 2019, 09:40
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 09:40
Nov 28, 2019, 09:40
 Beamer

I'm with 1badmf
And all those giving thanks to how this place is run. Forum moderation is hard. When I was 20 I ran the official message board for a fairly large band. I wanted to let almost anything go. The place kind of soured and built a culture where being a hyper excited fan was mocked, and being negative lauded. This resulted in new fans coming in and not sticking around, so the place wasn't growing. It was too hard to adapt to the culture while being mocked, and there was no room for fans to gush. Some users actively hated the band and literally mocked anything positive, and any one. I'd IP ban them. The forum got upgraded and I could no longer do that, so any ban just meant they'd get a new name.

Think a board just Cutters, CJs, and Space Captains.

It was shut down a year after IP bans left. It was negative, had no meaningful discussion about anything, and two unofficial fan forums were more active and growing. One still exists.

I'll never moderate again. Wasn't fun, and I hated being the bad guy when I was also a participant. Made me terrible at it.

Nov 28, 2019, 09:15
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 09:15
Nov 28, 2019, 09:15

Wow, first locked thread ever. Not long after I got my first removed post ever (for quoting someone else's inappropriate language). Not that I am linking the two, just taking notice and hoping this isn't evidence of a growing trend. FWIW, Blue -- I think you do a fantastic job moderating these forums. Perfection is impossible, but you do a damn good job. Far better than I believe I could.

I've had those type of "Who's on first" conversations a couple of times. Always supremely funny in the moment...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Nov 28, 2019, 08:28
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 08:28
Nov 28, 2019, 08:28

LOL!

Nov 27, 2019, 22:17
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 22:17
Nov 27, 2019, 22:17

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 18:19:
i·ro·ny
noun: irony
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

imo a troll is intentionally a pusher of buttons. i think your reference, on the other hand, earnestly believes in his own self-righteousness.

Nov 27, 2019, 18:19
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 18:19
Nov 27, 2019, 18:19

i·ro·ny
noun: irony
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Nov 27, 2019, 18:18
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 18:18
Nov 27, 2019, 18:18

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 17:48:
Or shut down the fucking trolls. How about that?

Defined as what... people who post outrageous opinions just to get a reaction out of others? Just trying to be clear on this.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Nov 27, 2019, 17:48
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 17:48
Nov 27, 2019, 17:48
 Cutter

Blue wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 17:19:
Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 14:40:
And again, if the ignore function prevented those being ignored from seeing the posts of those ignoring them entirely, they wouldn't be able to quote it from other people who quote them and manage to keep trolling. If someone is on a user's ignore list they shouldn't be able to see any posts at all from the person ignoring them.

This is 100% impractical to accomplish, both given the way the forums are coded, and in how users do not need to be logged in in order to view the forums.

The ignore function is to prevent you from seeing specific users' posts if you so choose. If you don't want users to see what you post, then don't post it to a public forum.

Or shut down the fucking trolls. How about that?
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Nov 27, 2019, 17:19
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 17:19
Nov 27, 2019, 17:19

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 14:40:
And again, if the ignore function prevented those being ignored from seeing the posts of those ignoring them entirely, they wouldn't be able to quote it from other people who quote them and manage to keep trolling. If someone is on a user's ignore list they shouldn't be able to see any posts at all from the person ignoring them.

This is 100% impractical to accomplish, both given the way the forums are coded, and in how users do not need to be logged in in order to view the forums.

The ignore function is to prevent you from seeing specific users' posts if you so choose. If you don't want users to see what you post, then don't post it to a public forum.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Nov 27, 2019, 17:12
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 17:12
Nov 27, 2019, 17:12

Sepharo wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 15:30:
Blue wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 12:32:
If it reassures you, that feature has been available for years, and story number 205970 is our first locked thread.

Is that a copy paste error or you're confirming that that Star Wars thread is the first ever locked thread?

I am confirming that.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Nov 27, 2019, 15:30
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 15:30
Nov 27, 2019, 15:30

If it reassures you, that feature has been available for years, and story number 205970 is our first locked thread.

Is that a copy paste error or you're confirming that that Star Wars thread is the first ever locked thread?

Nov 27, 2019, 15:22
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 15:22
Nov 27, 2019, 15:22

*"What's the name of the opening band?"
:Guess Who
*"I don't want to guess, Who's on first?"
:No, Who is the headliner
*"Okay, What's the second band?"
:Yes
Argue

Nov 27, 2019, 14:42
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 14:42
Nov 27, 2019, 14:42
 Cutter

US life expectancy on the decline. Yet another Trump 'success'.

Wild find with that puppy, but awww, poor little guy.

R-rated Star Wars? Samuel L: I'm Mace Windoo, motherfucker!

Nov 27, 2019, 14:40
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 14:40
Nov 27, 2019, 14:40
 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 11:57:
Is that the first time a thread has ever been locked?
New feature?

It's your site to do as you want of course, but personally I'd hope that gets used very very sparingly. I realize it's work for you to individually remove posts, and this is a tool to reduce that in a heated thread... I just hate that it punishes non-offenders as well.

I'm part of another ancient forum that lacks the ability to remove posts and only uses thread locks. I always used this forum as an example of how obnoxious users should be handled when discussing their tendency to thread lock... So I was pretty disappointed to see that little lock icon today.

Thanks for everything you do Blue, you're a great moderator despite that not being something you should even have to be.

If it reassures you, that feature has been available for years, and story number 205970 is our first locked thread, not that there were not some that probably could have benefited from this.

I appreciate the kind words, but don't know if I want to take credit for being such a good moderator. I do think a laissez faire approach is appropriate to a forum used by adults. But it's a fine line, and I think I've been too lax at times, which has driven away some valued members of our little community over the years. The thread in question was reported last night and I decided to let it go, and by this morning it had turned into a complete shitshow. I agree that locking the thread unfairly punishes everyone, but it had all degenerated to a back-and-forth about some of the uglier posts anyway.

I'll continue to do my best, but it's a challenging task to get right.

Nov 27, 2019, 13:36
fds
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 13:36
Nov 27, 2019, 13:36
fds

story number 205970 is our first locked thread,

Clicked through for the comments here expecting a chuckle over more bad password anecdotes, but then… Ooh, heated topic, tantalizing controversy, had to plug that number in and see for myself what could have been so divisive. Something going Epic Game Store exclusive? Loot boxes? Politics in video games? Aaaand it's a goddamn boilerplate press release on a game selling well. Geez, can't not laugh at how that would be the very last thing I'd have expected to even warrant a comment, much less emotions flaring up.

We Made Star Wars R-Rated
Nov 27, 2019, 13:24
We Made Star Wars R-Rated Nov 27, 2019, 13:24
Nov 27, 2019, 13:24

Good god these tool bags are impressed with themselves.

Nov 27, 2019, 12:32
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 12:32
Nov 27, 2019, 12:32

Sepharo wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 11:57:
New feature?

It's your site to do as you want of course, but personally I'd hope that gets used very very sparingly. I realize it's work for you to individually remove posts, and this is a tool to reduce that in a heated thread... I just hate that it punishes non-offenders as well.

I'm part of another ancient forum that lacks the ability to remove posts and only uses thread locks. I always used this forum as an example of how obnoxious users should be handled when discussing their tendency to thread lock... So I was pretty disappointed to see that little lock icon today.

Thanks for everything you do Blue, you're a great moderator despite that not being something you should even have to be.

If it reassures you, that feature has been available for years, and story number 205970 is our first locked thread, not that there were not some that probably could have benefited from this.

I appreciate the kind words, but don't know if I want to take credit for being such a good moderator. I do think a laissez faire approach is appropriate to a forum used by adults. But it's a fine line, and I think I've been too lax at times, which has driven away some valued members of our little community over the years. The thread in question was reported last night and I decided to let it go, and by this morning it had turned into a complete shitshow. I agree that locking the thread unfairly punishes everyone, but it had all degenerated to a back-and-forth about some of the uglier posts anyway.

I'll continue to do my best, but it's a challenging task to get right.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Nov 27, 2019, 12:16
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 12:16
Nov 27, 2019, 12:16

I still think the lower life expectancy (since this is a discussion I've seen pop up on websites multiple times in the past few years) is due to hospitals taking a more McDonalds style approach to healthcare and people getting sicker and needing better care due to the increasing stress and burden of modern American life.

Me and a good portion of my family work in the healthcare industry in one form or another, and from what I/they have seen, it's all about working to get more benefits and money from the government and moving your press ganey scores up so the director can buy another yacht, not actually getting new tech or attracting competent docs.

The hospital I first worked in was a major player in my state at one time, but not anymore. Got bought out by a bigger network. I know when I worked there they kept cutting nursing staff until they eventually only had one tech on in the entire ER and as the ER flooded with patients every night needing rooms, a guy died of a heart attack while waiting and the board of health came in and almost shut them down. They had an ant infestation in the ER they never took care of either. Would crawl out of the walls. Place was an absolute dump and I left to go to another hospital, which is better, but still far from acceptable.

They just want to make money off of you(r insurance company). It's just about money and getting government assistance, not helping the sick.

And people are sicker than ever because we're all coping with a world that is F'ed up beyond belief.

Nov 27, 2019, 11:57
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 11:57
Nov 27, 2019, 11:57

New feature?

Nov 27, 2019, 11:46
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2019, 11:46
Nov 27, 2019, 11:46

Obesity made the list. This year i only plan to eat enough to be miserable for 1.5 hours afterwards instead of 2. Now where's that pie.

Border Officials expand use of "facial comparison tech". With 97% accuracy what could possibly go wrong.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

US life expectancy is still on the decline. Here's why
Nov 27, 2019, 11:38
US life expectancy is still on the decline. Here's why Nov 27, 2019, 11:38
Nov 27, 2019, 11:38

Then proceeds to list the symptoms, never really saying WHY. I'll give you a hint: Bernie is right.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older