Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

R.I.P.: Steam Controller

Noticing the Steam Controller is on sale for just five bucks in the Steam Autumn Sale, The Verge got in touch with Valve to learn the once-hyped controllers are being discontinued. There is no further explanation other than their statement that "Valve confirms that this is the last batch of these gamepads that will ever be made." They also note that shipping on these to most places will cost more than the controller itself, saying shipping to the continental U.S. looks like it's $8.00, making the total delivered cost of one of these $13.00.
View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 29, 2019, 01:59 Razumen

007Bistromath wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 02:32:
Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 14:04:
Do you remember the Steam Machine? Everyone but them knew it was a bad idea to sink money into a new console.
Making a PC build that games on the 800-lb. gorilla distribution platform can standardize around is a great idea.

The problem with Steam Machines is they didn't do that. They tried to sort of become a certification body for other companies to do it, with varying specs and price points. So there go the advantages of consoles for both seller and user; no economy of scale, and a much more complex value proposition.

In other words, great idea; execution sucked.

Yeah I agree, Steam is already big, and Valve could've leveraged that by standardizing the SKU's, and making it clear on Steam what games would run well on which model.

People aren't confused when they walk in a store and see an Xbox or Playstation, but they sure as hell would be with all the different Steambox variatons.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. No subject Nov 28, 2019, 02:32 007Bistromath

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 14:04:
Do you remember the Steam Machine? Everyone but them knew it was a bad idea to sink money into a new console.
Making a PC build that games on the 800-lb. gorilla distribution platform can standardize around is a great idea.

The problem with Steam Machines is they didn't do that. They tried to sort of become a certification body for other companies to do it, with varying specs and price points. So there go the advantages of consoles for both seller and user; no economy of scale, and a much more complex value proposition.

In other words, great idea; execution sucked.

27. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 23:31 jacobvandy

NKD wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 01:12:
I'm starting to think there are no decent gamepads out there. The Steam Controller was too weird, My Xbone Elite controller had its rubber grips fall off, and I'm on my third PS4 controller because the left stick always starts uncorrectably drifting after a year or so.

Have you tried cleaning out the PS4 sticks? I had two start acting up within one year of owning the console, the second faster and even worse than the first... There are tutorial vids on YouTube for how to open them up, then you gotta crack open the little sensors attached to the sides of the analog mechanism and wipe down everything in there with rubbing alcohol or whatever. It's 15-20 minutes of delicate work if you do both sticks on one controller, but after that, the drift is completely gone. Way better than shelling out $50 again.

26. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 23:03 MeanJim

It's is kind of sad to see them go. It's a great device that can be configured to do pretty much anything. I pre-ordered one after injuring my arm and couldn't use a mouse for a while. I was tired of typical games I could play with the Xbox 360 controller I already had, so I went ahead and pre-ordered it. It works great with turn-based strategy games and isometric RPGs. It was pretty rough in the early days, you had to use the Steam client beta, it only worked in big picture mode, and at times they would update something that broke your configs. All of that has been fixed now.

It was nice to sit back in my chair to play those games instead of hunched over a keyboard and mouse. I thought I'd continue to use it for those games once I healed up, but I didn't. It's highly customizable and it can take a while to set up, so I just end up playing with mouse and keyboard.

Though I liked it, I gave it a negative review (because neutral reviews aren't a thing) and I don't think I ever updated it. I might pick up another one just to have in case nothing else like it ever comes out and I find myself in a situation where I can't use a mouse for a while to play games.

MeanJim on Steam

25. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 15:37 chickenboo

Overon wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 20:22:
Abject failure. Anybody thought these we good?

Compared to the DS4 and Xbox One controller, it's a commercial failure. As a product, it shines. I love my Steam Controller and I'm saddened that they're discontinuing production on them. I can't buy them in Canada anymore and I'm not paying $100+ to some scalper on Amazon. When I play PC games, 90% of the time it's with my SC, the rest of the time with mouse/keyboard. I've played everything with it, including EQ and WoW. Hell there's a super complicated Star Citizen config for it which does everything, it's very impressive.

People like to hate on the controller because it dared to be different, but for people who learned to use it, it's hands down superior to every other controller out there. My wife has both an Xbox One and 360 controller, and I simply won't use them since the SC does everything better. Well, arguably not twin-stick shooters, but then I have my wife's controllers for those, not that I play them anyway. And so what if it doesn't do twin-stick shooters well - a traditional controller won't play RTS games particularly well either!

24. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 14:04 Steele Johnson

Do you remember the Steam Machine? Everyone but them knew it was a bad idea to sink money into a new console. It amazes me how so many successful companies can make some really dumb decisions. You have to question if their success was based on innovation and intelligence, or just pure dumb luck (i.e. right place, right time, simple idea, e.g. Facebook)  

23. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 13:31 RedEye9

$14.06 w/tax  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

22. Re: Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 11:41 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 03:20:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 21:32:
Excellent news and lol @ Valve for their failed, feeble attempt to turn PCs into conslows.

Another quality jab from Parker. Bra-vo.

Thanks, you're welcome and don't mention it but "jab"? Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab???

I am officially insulted that you would refer to my masterful cockslapping as merely a "jab".

21. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 11:19 Verno

Yeah to echo what others said, I loved mine when I needed the depth and customization but hate it when I just want to casually grab something and play. Even with the community configs I always needed to tweak a lot so I ultimately just didn't use it much. My Steam Link on the other hand gets constant use and I just paired an old 360 controller to it.

I will say that the Steam Controller is pretty much the ultimate controller for emulation as you have enough buttons to do save states, fast forward/rewind and can customize to your hearts content. I think the decision to not have dual thumbsticks was ultimately what killed it but I understand why they went with that design.

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office

20. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 10:05 Primalchrome

I've had a Steam Controller for a year or two... The customization is amazing....but so daunting that I'm not sure it's worth it. The layout is odd...but functional. The trackpads and gyro are fantastic and this is the only place where it shines. It's the only controller I've ever run across that you can play a first person game and it feel natural when you grow accustomed to the inputs.

All that said......since Steam already does fantastic controller integration, I pretty much only use a DualShock 4 from my PS4 for games. (edit : only for games best suited to a controller...Bastion, Dark Souls, etc..)

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2019, 10:17.

19. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 09:53 Beamer

I'm starting to think there are no decent gamepads out there. The Steam Controller was too weird, My Xbone Elite controller had its rubber grips fall off, and I'm on my third PS4 controller because the left stick always starts uncorrectably drifting after a year or so.

MSFT released a V2 Elite, which supposedly fixes that issue. Haven't tried personally, or looked into recent reviews, so that may have changed, but the new one is supposed to be much better.

I considered an Elite, but just use an XBone controller. Prefer them to the PS4, primarily because the left stick is in a better place. Sony seems to think that controller design largely stopped in 1994. Xbox seems to believe it stopped in 2008.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 09:49 Muscular Beaver

007Bistromath wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 09:19:
It's more than worth it for this price. I switched to a DS4 because I found getting good configs for some of my games troublesome, and the touchpad is just never quite as good as a thumbstick. It has excellent build quality, tough, and if you have more patience with the config tool than I do, you'll enjoy it.
Well, its more for games that dont really work well with a thumbstick, like Darkest Dungeon for example, or Bad North.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

17. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 09:31 Desalus

Bought two and I never use them. The controllers would have been great if they had squeezed in another analog stick because the track pad is a very poor replacement.  

16. No subject Nov 27, 2019, 09:19 007Bistromath

It's more than worth it for this price. I switched to a DS4 because I found getting good configs for some of my games troublesome, and the touchpad is just never quite as good as a thumbstick. It has excellent build quality, tough, and if you have more patience with the config tool than I do, you'll enjoy it.  

15. Re: Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 08:11 Arithon

Luke wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 05:16:
Next : VR
Just no. You can't compare the remote control for a TV to the experience of IMAX.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

14. Re: Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 06:12 Razumen

Luke wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 05:16:

OK Boomer

13. Re: Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 05:16 Luke

12. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 03:20 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 21:32:
Excellent news and lol @ Valve for their failed, feeble attempt to turn PCs into conslows.

Another quality jab from Parker. Bra-vo.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

11. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 01:37 Muscular Beaver

Dash wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 01:24:

Never tried the Xbone controllers. On my second ps4. They really hit a good layout/feel for that one. I had one that I over-used the right trigger, till a tiny bit of plastic gave out. It's usable, but 'off'.

I any case, I just ordered a Steam controller, so lets see.
Honestly, I'd kinda like to see a new SpaceOrb360. Great for FPS and 6DOF-types of games.
I like my Xbone controller. Only issue I have is that it sometimes loses connection and the buttons wont work if I press them too lightly.
Thought about getting the Elite instead, but the user reviews are horrible, saying that it breaks all the time.
Since it was my first controller in a very long time, I also thought they have fixed the sensitivity on those things, but you still cant do fine adjustments very well on them. I mainly use it for aircraft in GTA Online, so it isnt such a huge deal.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

10. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 01:24 Dash

Never tried the Xbone controllers. On my second ps4. They really hit a good layout/feel for that one. I had one that I over-used the right trigger, till a tiny bit of plastic gave out. It's usable, but 'off'.

Honestly, I'd kinda like to see a new SpaceOrb360. Great for FPS and 6DOF-types of games.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >