Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch

EA announces that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is their fastest-selling digital launch ever for a Star Wars Game, and that it is their top-selling Star Wars game on PC during its initial two-week launch window. Here's what they have to say about this:
Today Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA), Respawn Entertainment and Lucasfilm announced that the critically acclaimed Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order™ is the fastest-selling digital launch for a Star Wars game in its first two weeks. The game is also now EA’s top-selling Star Wars title on PC in its initial launch window.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is a critical success as well as being the highest rated Star Wars game of this console generation. Business Insider exclaims that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is “the best Star Wars game ever made,” while GameSpot calls it “one of the most compelling game additions to the Star Wars franchise in years.” GQ notes that the game “lives up to the hype,” while IGN says it is, “an all-around amazing game” in their 9.0 out of 10 review.

“On behalf of Respawn and EA, we thank everyone for their support of the studio and the team throughout the development and launch of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Telling a story in the Star Wars galaxy is a dream come true and the reception from the fans has been incredible,” said Vince Zampella, Head of Respawn. “With the launch of the game, the debut of The Mandalorian and the upcoming release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, it’s a great time to be a Star Wars fan!”

"Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order demonstrates the amazing potential for original storytelling in Star Wars games,” said Sean Shoptaw, SVP, Games and Interactive Experiences, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. "The close collaboration between Respawn and Lucasfilm is a perfect example of how we can deliver an experience for fans that is authentic to the stories and worlds they love, while also being an incredibly fun and innovative game. With the fantastic reception and launch so far, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has proven to be the must-play game this Holiday.”
View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

23. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 14:06 VoodooV

Metroid-style game play doesn't bother me one bit, I like that sort of thing

The single biggest reason I didn't buy this is something I've already talked about numerous times so I won't go into it much. But I won't buy EA games anymore...period.

But after watching the gameplay and cutscenes on youtube and reviews (you know, like you're supposed to instead of just having faith and preordering (another thing that needs to die) is that...

1) the game is boring (subjective)
2) one thing that keeps bothering is whenever I watch Cal move, the running animations are just not natural and so jarring
3) the story is undermined by bringing in ________ at the climax. The story needs to stand on its own, not rely on previous characters as crutches. The same thing happened to Rogue One. The original characters were boring not compelling. We'll just splice in a certain character to create some pandering/fan service

Thread Locked Thread Locked Delete Report

22. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:56 Cutter

Best Star Wars game ever made? Sure, I guess. You know, if you've never played another Star Wars game.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

21. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:45 Graham

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 12:22:
Business Insider exclaims that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is “the best Star Wars game ever made,” while GameSpot calls it “one of the most compelling game additions to the Star Wars franchise in years.” GQ notes that the game “lives up to the hype,” while IGN says it is, “an all-around amazing game” in their 9.0 out of 10 review.

Bull-fucking-shit.

The game is pretty mediocre. You have to be a fan of the Metroidvania style. I am not. To me it is annoying that you run around the themepark levels (that do not feel like a real world at all) while not being able to access all areas yet due to a lack of abilities. Sometimes it is outright silly. There is a treasure box in shallow water and you can not get to it yet because you don't have the rebreather yet. Bullshit. Cal could have easily dived towards it but no you can't because the game forbids diving until you pick up the rebreather.

The backtracking and thus recycling of locations is unreal. This is related to the above, of course. They stretch game time by making you play the levels multiple times with different skill sets. Yawn. It is also annoying that you can not fast travel (at least between save/meditation points).

... talking of which... the save points are atrocious. Much too far apart sometimes and it is super-annoying when you have a boss fight and need to run the same distance over and over and over... like the second the Second Sister boss fight where you had to run down the corridor and ride down the elevator again and again and again. Why did they not have a respawn point at the base of the elevator? Fuck that shit.

Finally, the characters... yawn @ Disney family friendly Star Wars crap. Cal is a certified tard, the pilot Greez is literally a muppet, Cere is SJW material and the "bad" guys (and girls) are boring as fuck.

What I like about the game is the exploration of the levels, the puzzles and the story progression but on a whole it is utterly forgettable. It is a fast food Star Wars game to be finished and quickly forgotten.

I'm sure that the older Jedi Knight games have not aged well (especially the Dark Forces games which did not even have full mouse support) but this JFO shit is hardly "the best Star Wars game ever made". I liked the old games a whole lot more than this trite garbage at the time they were released.

If they ever make a sequel: Get rid of the Metroidvania structure and the insane backtracking and level recycling, make it a more adult game content-wise (characters etc. and let's write actual dialogue instead of this burpfest) and have the decency to put in a 'save anywhere' feature or at the very least checkpoints that humans with an actual brain came up with. kthx.

"I suck at games"

Got it.

20. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:45 Kxmode

MacLeod wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 13:37:
Random SW fan blurbs:
* Stormtrooper ambient dialog is amazing... talking about having a 100% accuracy on the range and having the high ground. And the fact they actually get scared of you.

Yup! I wish their actions matched their words. One Trooper said, "I'm only stationed here." I wanted to let the guy go, but unfortunately, the AI was programmed to shoot at me, so I just ran past. I think it would've been awesome if Respawn added a mercy option, and even more so if sparring would lead to the possibility of reinforcements.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:44 Graham

robdot wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 12:19:
Boring tedious metroid style slog. Explore zone to find a door you can't open. Come back 2 hours later with new skill. Find door, open door. Discover new door ,YOU CANT OPEN. Every single door is "locked from the other side".. Try to find way to open door while being bitten by beetles....Why doesn't the droid show you the way to go? This game would be much better if the droid acted as a guide.

"I dislike games"

Got it.

18. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:43 MacLeod

Slick wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 13:16:
I played through most encounters on "Story mode" difficulty, as i'm not here for the dark-souls type combat. But I did most boss fights and most interesting fights on the "normal" difficulty.

I'm not a souls player myself, and managed the game on normal the whole way through... though I did almost set it to story for the final boss... Seriously, 10 stims and still almost died when I beat her. That force choke move that takes 20% of your like is crazy (and then she kicks you for more)... tried to dodge, didn't work half the time... the only way I managed to avoid was double-jumping. (heard it takes 70% on master - definitely not trying that. lol)

I think my biggest flaw with the game is not being able to replay that last world... when you reload your file, it says it's putting you back before you went there... why not let you travel back there to re-experience it?

17. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:43 peteham

Glad it's doing well for them and I hope they get to make another where they get to apply what they've learned.

Enjoying it so far, close to the end but haven't quite finished it yet.. Weak 8/10 for me at the moment. I enjoy both Metroidvania and the From games but I have to say CJ is pretty spot on. The story and characters are weak. The game starts strong but starts dropping off the closer you get to the end. Backtracking for treasure and upgrades is one of the main things in these games but:

1. 90% of chests just have cosmetics. These should have just been story unlocks or something.
2. The game is screaming for fast travel. Going back for that chest you missed is too much of a chore when you not only have to walk all the way out there, you also have to walk back to your ship when you're done. And not every passage you see on the map is traversable in both directions because.. leveldesign...

Aside from that, there's some jank but I haven't had a crash in 20+ hours. Combat feels a bit wonky and not crisp at all. I hear the parry window is tied to frame rate which would explain some of my frustrations in tougher encounters. Star Wars atmosphere on point and some of the environments are amazing (kinda wish it was a CRPG with these production values... oh well).

16. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:39 Beamer

Why would it be more adult content when Star Wars is pretty well aimed at kids?

Adults, too, but more kids. Their bread and butter is children. It always has been. It always will be.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:37 MacLeod

If they ever make a sequel: Get rid of the Metroidvania structure and the insane backtracking and level recycling, make it a more adult game content-wise (characters etc. and let's write actual dialogue instead of this burpfest) and have the decency to put in a 'save anywhere' feature or at the very least checkpoints that humans with an actual brain came up with. kthx.

Seriously, the save point is right outside the elevator, and the ride takes literally 4 seconds. Over all, the save points in this game are pretty well spaced out without any trudging back to where you died.

Also, you're really calling out a Star Wars for having a muppet type character? They've been around since the beginning.

I'm also curious as to what makes you think Cere is SJW material... because other than being female, there's nothing in her character dialog that I saw that could be used to put her in the incel's SJW column. her character arc is pretty much the polar opposite of SJW, since you literally end up saving her from herself.

I think my only issue with any backtracking in this game was Dathomir, and that's because I feel like they should have had a shortcut unlock on the Nightbrother City entrance. But that was only when I was finishing up my collectibles, so it wasn't a big deal. The story progression pretty much saves you from most backtracking if you've unlocked the shortcuts as you were going.

I do agree with you on the water though... I'm not sure why they didn't have an air meter for diving without it...

Random SW fan blurbs:
* The Order 66 sequence was really well done.

* The implication of Ilum being Starkiller Base is interesting (this hasn't specifically been mentioned in canon, though it was hypothosized that it was. .. Ilum and SKB both have the same diameter, and are both snow planets rich with Kyber crystals... this game showing the trench that matches up to SKB pretty much says it is without saying it.

* Stormtrooper ambient dialog is amazing... talking about having a 100% accuracy on the range and having the high ground. And the fact they actually get scared of you.

* I loved the story, and felt it fit well into the timeline where they put it. I'm curious to see where it goes in a sequel. I'm hoping they get Cameron Monaghan to play Cal in the Obi Wan show since it's timeframe would match.

14. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:32 Creston

Business Insider exclaims that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is “the best Star Wars game ever made,”

Rolleyes

Sean Shoptaw, SVP, Games and Interactive Experiences, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.

Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

13. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:31 Creston

A fairly "safe" single player Star Wars game is their best SW game launch ever. Imagine what a daring title like the open world bounty hunter game might have done.

Huh, maybe you should have been releasing these kinds of games for all these years, EA? Oh wait, you can't really do much lootboxing / microtransactions on those, of course.

12. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:16 Slick

Just finished it. I played through most encounters on "Story mode" difficulty, as i'm not here for the dark-souls type combat. But I did most boss fights and most interesting fights on the "normal" difficulty.

I thought it was quite good. Best single player SW game since Knights of the Old Republic 15 years ago.

And the backtracking is nowhere near as onerous as some are making out. There's almost always different paths to get some place as to get back. ie. when you get a new ability, it unlocks a different way back. And the spawned enemies are different too.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

11. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:10 MattyB

Outer World was over-rated too. It was solid, enjoyable game, but 7.5/10 tops for me.

However - I'm thinking the journo's are over-hyping these because there is a massive drought of decent single player games from AAA studios and they're being over-celebrated.

And I'm glad they are. The more games like FO are rated and selling, the more chance I've got of seeing a proper KOTOR or TIE/XWing title.

10. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:05 JM

Coarse, he may be, but I gotta agree with most of his points.

9. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 13:04 Kxmode

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 12:58:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 12:45:

Another quality game review by Parker The Grouch. /s

The funny part is he is still playing the game that he hates so much.

Yup.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

8. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 12:58 The Half Elf

Playing through it now, and while I'm not a huge fan of Dark Souls type combat (I have died more then any bothans could imagine), it's not a bad game.

Still hoping that Jedi Outcast/Jedi Knight get the RTX treatment.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

7. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 12:58 Dirwulf

Kxmode wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 12:45:

The funny part is he is still playing the game that he hates so much.

6. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 12:45 Kxmode

Business Insider exclaims that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is “the best Star Wars game ever made,” while GameSpot calls it “one of the most compelling game additions to the Star Wars franchise in years.” GQ notes that the game “lives up to the hype,” while IGN says it is, “an all-around amazing game” in their 9.0 out of 10 review.

Bull-fucking-shit.

The game is pretty mediocre. You have to be a fan of the Metroidvania style. I am not. To me it is annoying that you run around the themepark levels (that do not feel like a real world at all) while not being able to access all areas yet due to a lack of abilities. Sometimes it is outright silly. There is a treasure box in shallow water and you can not get to it yet because you don't have the rebreather yet. Bullshit. Cal could have easily dived towards it but no you can't because the game forbids diving until you pick up the rebreather.

The backtracking and thus recycling of locations is unreal. This is related to the above, of course. They stretch game time by making you play the levels multiple times with different skill sets. Yawn. It is also annoying that you can not fast travel (at least between save/meditation points).

... talking of which... the save points are atrocious. Much too far apart sometimes and it is super-annoying when you have a boss fight and need to run the same distance over and over and over... like the second the Second Sister boss fight where you had to run down the corridor and ride down the elevator again and again and again. Why did they not have a respawn point at the base of the elevator? Fuck that shit.

Finally, the characters... yawn @ Disney family friendly Star Wars crap. Cal is a certified tard, the pilot Greez is literally a muppet, Cere is SJW material and the "bad" guys (and girls) are boring as fuck.

What I like about the game is the exploration of the levels, the puzzles and the story progression but on a whole it is utterly forgettable. It is a fast food Star Wars game to be finished and quickly forgotten.

I'm sure that the older Jedi Knight games have not aged well (especially the Dark Forces games which did not even have full mouse support) but this JFO shit is hardly "the best Star Wars game ever made". I liked the old games a whole lot more than this trite garbage at the time they were released.

5. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 12:38 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 12:02:
Good for them. I am no fan of Dark Souls and therefore this is no game for me. I will wait (forever) for a new Jedi Knight or Tie-Fighter/X-Wing game.

I have heard they borrow some design elements from Souls games, but it's nowhere near as difficult. I've seen more comparison drawn to Tomb Raider or Uncharted in terms of overall gameplay (a lot of climbing, collecting trinkets, solving puzzles).

4. Re: Fallen Order is EA's Best-Ever PC Star Wars Launch Nov 26, 2019, 12:22 CJ_Parker

Bull-fucking-shit.

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >