Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway

The latest Free-Fly even is now underway for Star Citizen, Cloud Imperium's long-in-development space game. The Roberts Space Industries Website has the details, revealing that this time around each day will feature vehicles from a different ship manufacturer for your sampling pleasure. Here's word:
To celebrate this year’s premier aerospace event, and commemorate our anniversary, we’re launching a Free-Fly event. From November 24th through December 5th, you have the chance to try some of Star Citizen’s most iconic vehicles for free.

Here’s how it works:

During the promotion, anyone can join Star Citizen’s Persistent Universe. It’s free to experience the game first-hand, but to get out there and start exploring, you’ll need a ship.

Starting on November 24th, every day at 2pm UTC, a different ship manufacturer will make its fleet available for 24 hours. The Free-Fly will end with a celebration of the ships that made it to the final four of the recent Ship Showdown tournament. There may also be some surprises in store for those of you who make the trek out to ArcCorp’s Area18, so stay tuned.

Check out the schedule below to plan your test flights. Have fun and fly safe!
View : : :
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway
Nov 26, 2019, 11:41
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 26, 2019, 11:41
Nov 26, 2019, 11:41

Luke wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 08:20:
Choobeastia wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 20:27:
Thakk wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 14:45:
I've dropped about $1k on the promise of CR's vision. I hope it comes to fruition. I'm fine with the spent funds. Will I be contributing anymore funds in the short-term? No. I've given enough. If/when the IP ships, that's when I'll determine to give more.

As a former Project Manager of software developers, I've been having a blast following the ups and downs and I've met some great people along the way. I know all to well the JIRA jargoon and Project Manager speak they've incorporated these past few years. It's a slog, no doubt about it, especially with scope creep. I wish them the best of luck.

Ahh a believer....never fails to make one laugh , keep telling to youself and it will be true...in ya head 350$ sick

Are you sure you're on the right webpage? My impression was that people were only allowed to call it a scam, joke about it never coming out, or act like it's their duty to love it around these parts. *offers a map*

All jokes aside, I agree. I'm not in as far as you (about $350 here), but I don't have any regrets. I enjoy watching the progress, and it's been a blast seeing different components come online. SOCS is a huge one, and I look forward to when that blossoms into Server Meshing.

I think you messed up the quote.

Regardless, I'm not sure what's sick about it? I don't buy movies, and I don't buy many games. Instead I support a dream that might or might not be completed, and pay monthly to patreons of content creators I like. In the end, I'm putting money towards things I enjoy, which sounds like what everyone is doing, so it seems pretty normal to me.

Nov 26, 2019, 08:20
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 26, 2019, 08:20
Nov 26, 2019, 08:20

Choobeastia wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 20:27:
I've dropped about $1k on the promise of CR's vision. I hope it comes to fruition. I'm fine with the spent funds. Will I be contributing anymore funds in the short-term? No. I've given enough. If/when the IP ships, that's when I'll determine to give more.

As a former Project Manager of software developers, I've been having a blast following the ups and downs and I've met some great people along the way. I know all to well the JIRA jargoon and Project Manager speak they've incorporated these past few years. It's a slog, no doubt about it, especially with scope creep. I wish them the best of luck.

Ahh a believer....never fails to make one laugh , keep telling to youself and it will be true...in ya head 350$ sick

Are you sure you're on the right webpage? My impression was that people were only allowed to call it a scam, joke about it never coming out, or act like it's their duty to love it around these parts. *offers a map*

All jokes aside, I agree. I'm not in as far as you (about $350 here), but I don't have any regrets. I enjoy watching the progress, and it's been a blast seeing different components come online. SOCS is a huge one, and I look forward to when that blossoms into Server Meshing.

Nov 26, 2019, 02:37
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 26, 2019, 02:37
Nov 26, 2019, 02:37

Taulin wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 00:58:
SC was also a reach goal, to boot.

Bullshit. The PU was planned from the start. I remember vividly all the worries and discussions if SC would just be a MMO and if our chance at a Wing Commander successor would suffer from too much online focus. People were very concerned that single player might become an afterthought.

This can also be seen from the Kickstarter FAQ. CIG added the "Is Star Citizen an MMO?" question to the FAQ on October 19th 2012, i.e. just nine days after the campaign launched.

What's true is that the original plan, depending on funding, was to first develop Squadron 42 and then begin development of the PU as soon as funds allowed. The crowdfunding pitch was always for a multiplayer game though. Barring insolvency, they were always going to do the PU regardless.
Just check the Kickstarter page and the stretch goals list. Nowhere on the stretch goal list does it say that the multiplayer is a bonus because it was planned from the start. The additional funding only ensured that development could be started in parallel on SC (PU) and S42.

You can also check out the press section near the bottom on the KS page which links to many articles that were published on day 1 of the campaign (10/10/2012). They all mostly talk about the PU which is exactly why people were scared that Squadron 42 might not get enough attention.

Nov 26, 2019, 00:58
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 26, 2019, 00:58
Nov 26, 2019, 00:58

GinRummy wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 10:35:
For all the millions of words argued about this game so far, nobody ever actually talks about the state of gameplay in it. Is it an empty solo place? Are there people, quests, enemies, planets, etc. yet even in beta form? What is coming soon and is it actually worth trying the demos now? I suppose I could install it myself and see, but that's work others could do and just tell me.

Squadron42 is the single player game coming out. As they create tech for it, they drop it into the persistent universe called Star Citizen. So, they can't finish SC until they finish S42, and they already stated since the beginning S42 is their top priority. SC was also a reach goal, to boot.

To answer your question, SC is just slowly growing as the tech is added. New planets. Caves, mining, etc. Mission givers, pirates, etc.. Even an overhaul of the flight model. The pace over the past year has really sped up. At this point it is a playground for people to space play in.

Nov 25, 2019, 20:54
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 20:54
Nov 25, 2019, 20:54

For all the millions of words argued about this game so far, nobody ever actually talks about the state of gameplay in it. Is it an empty solo place? Are there people, quests, enemies, planets, etc. yet even in beta form? What is coming soon and is it actually worth trying the demos now? I suppose I could install it myself and see, but that's work others could do and just tell me.

There is a limited sandbox. The state of your account and progress is generally persistent during each quarterly patch, and you can engage in the following in the play space available:

1> Trading (buying/selling commodities and shipping them)
2> Answering distress beacons (NPC requests for combat assistance, newer feature, not consistently working)
3> Bounty Hunting (Fly to a place, destroy target, get paid)
4> Scan for, find, and destroy spy satellites around Comm Relays.
5a> Go to a wreck and retrieve the black box and bring it back
5b> Go to a wreck and collect the dog tags of the crew to find a specific dead crew members
5c> Go to a wreck and find specific cargo and bring it back
6a> Collect specific cargo from one location, and bring it to another (small quantity transport)
6b> Find a target, destroy, retrieve cargo, deliver
7> Repel boarders on a security station
8> Repel player trying to hack a Comm Array
9> Repel a player trying to hack a security station
10a> Hack a Comm Array
10b> Reset a hacked Comm Array
11> Search a cave for a lost cave diver
12> Ship mining if you have a Prospector
13> Hand mining if you don't have a Prospector
14a> Raid a drug lab, destroy turrets protecting it, kill NPCs present, return with specific drugs
14b> Raid a drug lab, stop another player from stealing the drugs, destroy as many drugs as you can.

And a whole lot more. Much of it works consistently, some of it less so. On top of that, you can now rent ships to enable you to expand the style of missions you can engage in, you can work with others on their ships, and you can use your IN-GAME money to purchase ships (Watch Astropub's Zero to Hero streams sometime). FINALLY, in 3.8 (coming in December), money and in-game purchases will be persistent through several major patches to let people mess around more.

The game has TONS of bugs. It is clearly in a state of active development, and that means there will be nights where a player runs into so many bugs they just lose their mind and want to stop playing. And other nights where someone will run into no bugs at all.

I wouldn't recommend anyone pledge money to the game until we have more bug fixing, and a better tutorial than what we have. But I would recommend people try out free fly events to see how things stand, and if they and their friends have fun.

Hope that helps!

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2019, 22:34.

Nov 25, 2019, 20:35
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 20:35
Nov 25, 2019, 20:35

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 17:29:
And each one of those virtual ships is available to you for only several thousand dollars a pop! What a bargain!!!

Your hyperbole is getting lazy. There are a couple that high, but the VAST majority of the vehicles are lower, with starter packages as low as $45 and 83 flyable/driveable, so basically less than most AAA games with more vehicle variety than most of those would have as well.

At least figure out a semi-accurate way to be crappy about an interest you don't share.

Nov 25, 2019, 20:27
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 20:27
Nov 25, 2019, 20:27

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2019, 20:39.

Nov 25, 2019, 16:32
Cutter

Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 16:32
Nov 25, 2019, 16:32
 Cutter

There is no game. There's a tech demo. After 7 years and 200 million dollars that's all there is.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Nov 25, 2019, 14:09
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 14:09
Nov 25, 2019, 14:09

So many Kool-Aid drinkers in the thread.

I applaud CR for recognizing the stupidity of the general population and making them feel good about giving their money to him.

Nov 25, 2019, 12:30
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 12:30
Nov 25, 2019, 12:30

El Pit wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 12:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 20:06:
That's exactly what the Epic Game Store is built on. Agile all the way baby. Beatnik

Yeah, who doesn't remember the Epic kickstarter for their website followed by extreme feature creep (like electronic shopping karts, wishlists, and stuff). How much money did you give to them, RedEye9? $1,000?
Only $900. Wink
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Nov 25, 2019, 12:29
El Pit

Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 12:29
Nov 25, 2019, 12:29
 El Pit

That's exactly what the Epic Game Store is built on. Agile all the way baby. Beatnik

Yeah, who doesn't remember the Epic kickstarter for their website followed by extreme feature creep (like electronic shopping karts, wishlists, and stuff). How much money did you give to them, RedEye9? $1,000?
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Nov 25, 2019, 12:23
El Pit

Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 12:23
Nov 25, 2019, 12:23
 El Pit

Free Lies Weekend? Thinking2 Oh, sorry, misread it. Or misunderstood it. Maybe. Wink
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Nov 25, 2019, 10:50
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 10:50
Nov 25, 2019, 10:50

You would be a special kind of stupid if you ripped it left and right and then owned the game to tell the audience how it plays. I'm sure their site has happy players to tell you how good it is.

Nov 25, 2019, 10:35
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 10:35
Nov 25, 2019, 10:35

Nov 25, 2019, 09:28
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 09:28
Nov 25, 2019, 09:28

Anyone can join Star Citizen’s Persistent Universe.

Universe really should be in finger quotes. Star Citizen's Persistent System would be better.

Crusher: "Computer, what is the nature of the Universe?"
Computer: "The Universe is a spheroid region, 705 meters in diameter."

Re:
Nov 25, 2019, 09:22
Re: Nov 25, 2019, 09:22
Nov 25, 2019, 09:22

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 22:04:

Completely true. They have shipping base software that works, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Then they add those extra features as they build them. They make money and have satisfied customers at the same time, even if some curmudgeons complain that they don't have all the features Steam spent 15 years building after just a couple of years.

Sounds like you just insulted the majority of Bluesnews forum posters

Nov 25, 2019, 08:19
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 08:19
Nov 25, 2019, 08:19

1 k ................jezz

Nov 24, 2019, 22:04
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 24, 2019, 22:04
Nov 24, 2019, 22:04

Completely true. They have shipping base software that works, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Then they add those extra features as they build them. They make money and have satisfied customers at the same time, even if some curmudgeons complain that they don't have all the features Steam spent 15 years building after just a couple of years.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Nov 24, 2019, 20:06
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 24, 2019, 20:06
Nov 24, 2019, 20:06

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 19:25:

Thanks for your contributions. I'm glad you're enjoying your exposure to the development process.

I really want this to succeed, but it's hard to see it happening with all of the ridiculous scope creep: real time facial mapping, ice cube physics, continuous new ship designs, etc. All of these things could have been added after an initial launch of the base game.

This game could have really benefited from an Agile software development approach: build out your minimum viable product, ship it, and add on to it from there. Frontier took this approach with E:D, and it has created much player satisfaction.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Re: Phoenix Point Launch Plans
Nov 24, 2019, 19:44
Re: Phoenix Point Launch Plans Nov 24, 2019, 19:44
Nov 24, 2019, 19:44

Linthat22 wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 16:43:
I think I spent a little over $300 on this kickstarter. During the first year things were getting released I uninstalled the game due to massive updated patches and haven't looked back since. My thinking is, once my kid hits double digits, it might be ready. If not......no big deal. Maybe by retirement age? Who knows lol

I dropped... *checks kickstarter* 60 dollars and I feel like I got ripped off. In theory, sometime before the heat death of the universe I'll get Squadron 42. Assuming that the ice cube thermal dynamics simulators work out the way they were intending.
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older