Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Get Bad North for Free

Bad North is now available for free on the Epic Games Store, as this Windows action/strategy game is their latest giveaway. You have a week to add this to your library to have it for keeps before their next freebie comes with the release of Rayman Legends. Here's some direction on Bad North:
Bad North is a beautifully-crafted, minimalistic, real-time tactics roguelite game where you lead a rag-tag group of island folk as they flee the relentless viking hordes. Progress through a series of procedurally-generated islands, fending off nordic raiders and gather what resources you can, before moving on to the next fight. Protect the nobles and commoners you meet along the way and recruit them to your cause - you'll need their numbers in the conflict to come.

And keep fighting. Not for power or riches or glory, but for the hope that one day you can live a peaceful life again.
View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 23, 2019, 16:49 Verno

CJ go enjoy a videogame. Any game. And post about your positive experience with it. I've never seen someone so unhappy with their hobby  

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 23, 2019, 05:21 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Nov 23, 2019, 00:30:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 23:22:
Nah, I read your comment and knowing that you have a tendency to spin every little "negative" news re Epic into either Fortnite is dying, EGS is dying or Epic is dying, it seemed obvious to me that your observation of a dwindling quality of the freebies was meant to insinuate a surefire sign of Epic's or at least EGS' demise.

So, when someone else pointed out the "pesky fact" that EGS was still giving away pretty nice stuff until recently, I made that comment.

That is all .

Except that I didn't. Anyhow, all good. I won't stop you from believing whatever you wish. /hand-shake

OK... ooooooohhhhhkay... /shakeitbaby

42. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 23, 2019, 00:30 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 23:22:
Nah, I read your comment and knowing that you have a tendency to spin every little "negative" news re Epic into either Fortnite is dying, EGS is dying or Epic is dying, it seemed obvious to me that your observation of a dwindling quality of the freebies was meant to insinuate a surefire sign of Epic's or at least EGS' demise.

So, when someone else pointed out the "pesky fact" that EGS was still giving away pretty nice stuff until recently, I made that comment.

That is all .

Except that I didn't. Anyhow, all good. I won't stop you from believing whatever you wish. /hand-shake

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

41. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 23:22 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 13:43:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 10:31:
Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 10:14:
Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 08:42:
Yeah the quality of these is going downhill fast, oh well all free so /shrug

What are you talking about? SOMA was free just a few weeks ago. It's one of the better indie games I've played in years!

Please do not disturb the "EGS is going down in flames and Epic will be filing for insolvency any minute now" narrative with pesky facts.

Original comment: "Notice how the quality of freebies is dwindling. Nothing against this game, but when Epic bombastically announced their regular freebie offerings, they started with prominent or well-known titles. Now we have this."

Nowhere in my original comment did I ever say anything negative about Bad North's quality. I only referred to how well known or prominent it is (I'm sure most of you haven't heard of it until this thread). I even made the point to include "nothing against this game" to say I'm not talking about Bad North's quality as an indie title.

Here we have a perfect example of cognitive information processing, or the lack thereof. You didn't read my comment. You read other people's replies, briefly scanned a few words from my comment, and then concocted a comment that is lacking any relevant value with the original comment. In other words, your response changed the meaning of my original comment and you likely did it without realizing.

That's a pretty cool gift you have there, Parker. That great power comes with great reshpronsatrilatras.

That is all .

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2019, 20:39 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 15:01:
It peaked in late summer, but if there's a trend it's slightly up. We went from two a month to 4-8 a month. Though it definitely started on what I consider the second best offering. 4 Batman games is the best, but I'm finally playing Subnautica and it rules.

Thank you. See. Beamer gets it. Thumbsup

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2019, 20:38 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 14:38:
Beamer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 14:34:

This week is a decline. However, one week doesn't make a trend. I know, some people here really want to see signs of the wheels coming off, but the Batman games were in late September. Free games started in December 2018, and have been a weekly occurrence since.

It's hard to take anyone seriously when they say "the quality is diminishing over time" when it took them 10 months to give their best offering, and we're 12 months in.
A bird shit on me the other day so I know that the sky is falling. It's a fact.

You're not very good at metaphors.

38. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 20:33 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 14:29:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 14:21:
I chuckled at someone's opinion of a game being referred to as "facts."
Where did anyone say that?

Right here...

Please do not disturb the "EGS is going down in flames and Epic will be filing for insolvency any minute now" narrative with pesky facts.

37. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 17:34 Beamer

roguebanshee wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 16:55:
4 Batman games is the best
Nitpicking, but it was two bundles consisting of 3 games each: Arkham Asylum, Arkham City & Arkham Knight and LEGO Batman, LEGO Batman 2 & LEGO Batman 3.

The Arkham compilation did not include Arkham Origins. A quick check reveals that Origins is not even available for purchase on EGS.

Oh, gotcha. Well, 3 Rocksteady games, and lacking the one largely considered the weakest link. I've not played AO, though I own it on Steam.

AK I played using my Steam Link, which wasn't perfect but was good enough. For some reason, it's one of only two games my girlfriend hated me playing, haha. Wreckfest she found grueling to hear and dull to watch. Batman I don't think she truly hated, we just leaned into our roles on that one to be funny - me being the late 30s guy who likes Batman way too much, her being the spouse that doesn't get it. I don't really like Batman that much (but he's objectively the best comic book character and literally every American male loves him) and she doesn't dislike, but definitely doesn't fully understand the dude obsession.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

36. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 16:55 roguebanshee

4 Batman games is the best
Nitpicking, but it was two bundles consisting of 3 games each: Arkham Asylum, Arkham City & Arkham Knight and LEGO Batman, LEGO Batman 2 & LEGO Batman 3.

The Arkham compilation did not include Arkham Origins. A quick check reveals that Origins is not even available for purchase on EGS.

35. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 15:01 Beamer

Subnautica (2 weeks, December 12, 2018)
Super Meat Boy (2 weeks)
What Remains of Edith Finch (2 weeks)
Jackbox Party Pack (2 weeks)
Axiom Verge (2 weeks)
Thimbleweed Park (2 weeks)
Slime Rancher (2 weeks)
Oxenfree (2 weeks)
The Witness (2 weeks)
Transistor (2 weeks)
City of Brass
Rime
Stories Untold
World of Goo
Kingdom of New Lands
Enter the Gungeoun
Rebel Galaxy
Last Day of June
Overcooked
Torchlight
LIMBO
Moonlighter
This War of Mine
For Honor
Alan Wake
GNOG
Mutant Road Zero
Hyper Light Drifter
Fez
Inside
Celeste
ABZU
The End is Night
Batman: Arkham Collection
Everything
Metro:2033 Redux
Minit
Surviving Mars
>obverver_
Alan Wake: American Nightmare
Layers of Fear Masterpiece Edition
QUBE2
Costume Quest
Nuclear Throne
RUINER
The Messenger
Bad North
Rayman Legends (November 29, 2019)

It peaked in late summer, but if there's a trend it's slightly up. We went from two a month to 4-8 a month. Though it definitely started on what I consider the second best offering. 4 Batman games is the best, but I'm finally playing Subnautica and it rules.

-------------

34. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 14:38 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 14:34:

This week is a decline. However, one week doesn't make a trend. I know, some people here really want to see signs of the wheels coming off, but the Batman games were in late September. Free games started in December 2018, and have been a weekly occurrence since.

It's hard to take anyone seriously when they say "the quality is diminishing over time" when it took them 10 months to give their best offering, and we're 12 months in.
A bird shit on me the other day so I know that the sky is falling. It's a fact.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

33. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 14:34 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 13:43:

What are you talking about? SOMA was free just a few weeks ago. It's one of the better indie games I've played in years!

Original comment: "Notice how the quality of freebies is dwindling. Nothing against this game, but when Epic bombastically announced their regular freebie offerings, they started with prominent or well-known titles. Now we have this."

Nowhere in my original comment did I ever say anything negative about Bad North's quality. I only referred to how well known or prominent it is (I'm sure most of you haven't heard of it until this thread). I even made the point to include "nothing against this game" to say I'm not talking about Bad North's quality as an indie title.

Here we have a perfect example of cognitive information processing, or the lack thereof. You didn't read my comment. You read other people's replies, briefly scanned a few words from my comment, and then concocted a comment that is lacking any relevant value with the original comment. In other words, your response changed the meaning of my original comment and you likely did it without realizing.

That's a pretty cool gift you have there, Parker. That great power comes with great reshpronsatrilatras.

-------------

32. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 14:29 RedEye9

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 14:21:
Where did anyone say that?

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

31. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 14:21 jacobvandy

30. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 13:43 Kxmode

29. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 11:04 Verno

Yeah that's fair, I guess I glossed over that one because I played it so long ago. Rayman Legends is the next one apparently too which is a pretty decent game.

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office

28. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 10:44 Solemn-Philosopher

Well, I grabbed it and played it for a couple of hours yesterday. It had been on my wishlist on Steam for a while.

I like the visual style and enjoy the gameplay. However, it isn't very deep and I don't see it lasting for long on my playlist. Glad I got it for free in the end.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

27. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 10:31 CJ_Parker

26. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 10:14 Steele Johnson

25. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 09:39 RedEye9

Is this where I claim the obvious and cry that free stuff is not all Witcher 3 quality.  

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >