Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Half-Life: Alyx in March

Valve has followed through on their promise, revealing first details of Half-Life: Alyx, a new installment in the Half-Life series that will require a virtual reality headset. The game will be free to owners of Valve's Index and will also support Rift, Vive, and Windows Mixed Reality. This Source 2 engine project is planned for release in March 2020 (Valve Time), and it is already available for pre-purchase on Steam. There is more information on the Half-Life Website, including an Announcement Trailer. While gamers have been waiting for more than a decade to learn what happens after Half-Life 2: Episode Two, word is this new game will help us understand what happened between Half-Life and Half-Life 2:
Valve, the creators of Half-Life and the Steam platform, today announced Half-Life: Alyx, a new, full-length virtual reality entry in the Half-Life series. Slated for release on Steam in March 2020, the title will be compatible with all PC-based VR headsets in March 2020.

Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Alyx Vance and her father Eli secretly mount the resistance to the brutal occupation of Earth by a mysterious alien race known as The Combine. As Alyx, players take the fight to the Combine to save the future of humanity.

Half-Life: Alyx was designed from the ground up for Virtual Reality and features all of the hallmarks of a classic Half-Life game: world exploration, puzzle solving, visceral combat, and an intricately woven story that connects it all with the characters iconic to the Half-Life universe.

"Everyone at Valve is excited to be returning to the world of Half-Life", says Valve founder Gabe Newell. "VR has energized us. We've invested a lot of ourselves in the technology. But we're also game developers at heart, and to be devoting ourselves to a VR game this ambitious is just as exciting. For that to come in the form of Half-Life feels like the culmination of a lot things we care a lot about: truly great games, cutting edge technology, and open platforms. We can't wait for people to experience this."

Half-Life: Alyx is powered by SteamVR on Valve's Source 2 engine, and can be played on Steam with all PC-based VR headsets.

View
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

34. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 17:25 ventry

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 14:59:
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooope.

Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:14:
VR only? Valve can go and fuck themselves for screwing us over like this. We have been waiting on a new Half Life game for a decade and this is the bullshit they pull. Yea, fuck you valve!!

Xero wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:15:
Damn. Wish it was just a standard no VR FPS. I'd pick it up. However as this is just to get you to buy their VR headset, they can go fuk themselves.

Bout sums it up for me.
No way am I spending that much money just to play a game.
Got zero interest in VR.

Donald Trump's biggest opponent in the 2020 election: Voter fraud.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 17:24 Luke

Wauu flying hands ....just wauu seems vr hasn't come far ...pathetic  

32. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 17:19 Steele Johnson

I'm not sold on VR yet. I think it still has several years to go before (or if) I take the plunge. Not only that, but I just don't like wearing something on my head that blocks out my surroundings. It would have to be like "real" virtual reality and not just a screen strapped to my head.  

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol is a guy nailed to two pieces of wood." - George Carlin

31. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 17:10 Bard

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 14:58:
Wouldn't be the first time i'd spent $2k to play a $60 dollar game.

Hell i dropped that much to NOT be able to play a game (Lock On Modern Air Combat: Flaming Cliffs)...

30. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 16:56 Drayth

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 16:20:
One thing that I found really jarring though was the disembodied hands floating around. Could they not have modeled some arms on those hands, so it doesn't look so weird? It continuously breaks the immersion, at least to me.

That's something that looks jarring on a normal monitor, but in VR it's WAY better than modelling actual arms.

You have to keep in mind you're moving your real arms, and the hands are perfectly placed in the game space relative to where you "feel" your hands moving in the real world. Since arms aren't tracked, putting in "game arms" throws the experience off since they don't line up well enough with what you feel your body doing.

Also your brain just kind of fills in the placement of your arms, you don't even really notice the floaty hands. It's weird.

29. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 16:39 jacobvandy

It does look really damn cool, though I still won't be getting VR any time soon... Well done, Valve. Hopefully other Source 2 games are on the way now.  

28. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 16:36 Quinn

I know 10 years from now we'd probably laugh at all these conservative "screw VR!" posts, but screw VR! This will drive a wedge between gamers like myself who can't afford a full, working VR rig and the loners / rich folk who can. But even if I set aside a few bucks every month the coming year, my wife wouldn't want a VR set in the house. It will completely detach me from her and my daughter Eva while playing, which is something we both don't want.

Will VR really become the real deal? Or will it always be just the nauseating gimmick like 3D for many people?

Tsk tsk, at least with HL2 you didn't need to invest 2.5k to play something revolutionary.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

27. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 16:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:46:
If I'm playing Alyx in VR can I look down at my boobs like in Trespasser?

It's a necessary game mechanic, for checking your health!

26. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 16:28 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 16:20:
One thing that I found really jarring though was the disembodied hands floating around. Could they not have modeled some arms on those hands, so it doesn't look so weird? It continuously breaks the immersion, at least to me.

I suspect that due to the degree of freedom in the range of motion for the hands that arms would obscure your view and also look weird. Like you'd have the arms clipping into each other, and/or flailing wildly in non-human unrealistic ways.
I'd also not be surprised if they made the disembodied hands parts of the story somehow... I don't think it's likely, but I could see them doing that.

25. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 16:20 Creston

Looks really good, I'm quite surprised. I shudder at the thought of what kind of PC you need to run this.

Supports all PC headsets, which is cool. I was wrong in surmising this might not run on Oculus.

It's good to see Valve still knows how to make games, and still has some people at least interested enough in it.

24. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 15:59 Beamer

Verno wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 14:45:
Uh wow, that looks really fuckin good! I didn't think I would be super excited but they pulled me back in!

Right? I'm surprised. Maybe not super excited, but excited.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 15:46 Bill Borre

If I'm playing Alyx in VR can I look down at my boobs like in Trespasser?  

22. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 15:45 Sepharo

My Valve predictions:
(years are links to posts)

2011:
"Valve and Gabe are so hellbent on doing something as revolutionary as HL2 again that they're throwing a lot of stuff out as we know they did with TF2 and others games."

2012:
"I still maintain my only prediction concerning HL3: Valve wants it to be revolutionary. I think that fits well with a new peripheral/VR/AR and a Steam console."

2013:
"They're not releasing HL3 until it has something revolutionary in it... You should be cheering them on in their VR and other peripheral pursuits if you want to see HL3 sooner."

2015:
"It's not story problems, it's innovation / engine problems. They take so long to make a game that they reset it over and over. It's now likely intended to be a killer VR app. Throw another 5 years in."

That 5 year prediction was only off by a few months

21. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 15:44 CJ_Parker

Sepharo wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:27:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:21:
Taulin wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:15:
I really want to know more about the arrival of the combine

I really want(ed) to know what happened after the cliffhanger ending of Episode 2. Without V fucking R.

Hey you still might since this doesn't address that and isn't HL3.

But don't get your hopes up... that'll probably be VR only in 2025.

Nah, I'm done with Half-Life. Seriously. If Valve can not be bothered to bring closure to Half-Life 2 then why should I care about their universe anymore? I don't. Full boycott.

This is no way to treat customers who bought HL2 or its orange box under the assumption that we'd get three episodes and a proper ending to HL2.

I have never been a huuuge fan of HL anyway. It was nice enough but not the Second Coming many folks made it out to be. We have many story-driven FPS today contrary to back then. It will be easy to ignore this franchise from now on.

20. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2019, 15:36 Darks

JTW wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:31:
It looks great, but it is pretty disheartening that after 12 years of waiting to see what happens next, they're telling their story in a format that excludes a huge swathe of their most loyal customers. I don't have VR, and can't afford VR.

For me its not about affording it. I spent a lot of money on my rig, and a 32 inch USD 4K Predator Monitor. Thats what pisses me off to no end about this and Valve pulling this shit with us.

On top of that I really dont like the whole 3D thing as a whole. Tried it and it didn't do a damn thing for me.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

19. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2019, 15:31 JTW

It looks great, but it is pretty disheartening that after 12 years of waiting to see what happens next, they're telling their story in a format that excludes a huge swathe of their most loyal customers. I don't have VR, and can't afford VR.  

18. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 15:27 Sepharo

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:21:

I really want(ed) to know what happened after the cliffhanger ending of Episode 2. Without V fucking R.

Hey you still might since this doesn't address that and isn't HL3.

But don't get your hopes up... that'll probably be VR only in 2025.

17. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 15:21 CJ_Parker

16. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 15:15 Taulin

I really want to know more about the arrival of the combine... Looks like the tower is still being built in one scene.  

15. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 15:15 Xero

Damn. Wish it was just a standard no VR FPS. I'd pick it up. However as this is just to get you to buy their VR headset, they can go fuk themselves.  

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >