Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Half-Life: Alyx in March

Valve has followed through on their promise, revealing first details of Half-Life: Alyx, a new installment in the Half-Life series that will require a virtual reality headset. The game will be free to owners of Valve's Index and will also support Rift, Vive, and Windows Mixed Reality. This Source 2 engine project is planned for release in March 2020 (Valve Time), and it is already available for pre-purchase on Steam. There is more information on the Half-Life Website, including an Announcement Trailer. While gamers have been waiting for more than a decade to learn what happens after Half-Life 2: Episode Two, word is this new game will help us understand what happened between Half-Life and Half-Life 2:
Valve, the creators of Half-Life and the Steam platform, today announced Half-Life: Alyx, a new, full-length virtual reality entry in the Half-Life series. Slated for release on Steam in March 2020, the title will be compatible with all PC-based VR headsets in March 2020.

Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Alyx Vance and her father Eli secretly mount the resistance to the brutal occupation of Earth by a mysterious alien race known as The Combine. As Alyx, players take the fight to the Combine to save the future of humanity.

Half-Life: Alyx was designed from the ground up for Virtual Reality and features all of the hallmarks of a classic Half-Life game: world exploration, puzzle solving, visceral combat, and an intricately woven story that connects it all with the characters iconic to the Half-Life universe.

"Everyone at Valve is excited to be returning to the world of Half-Life", says Valve founder Gabe Newell. "VR has energized us. We've invested a lot of ourselves in the technology. But we're also game developers at heart, and to be devoting ourselves to a VR game this ambitious is just as exciting. For that to come in the form of Half-Life feels like the culmination of a lot things we care a lot about: truly great games, cutting edge technology, and open platforms. We can't wait for people to experience this."

Half-Life: Alyx is powered by SteamVR on Valve's Source 2 engine, and can be played on Steam with all PC-based VR headsets.

View
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

74. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 04:23 VaranDragon

Building a new rig (finally):

Old components that Im keeping from my old PC: RTX2060 6GB

New components:
i59600k
32GB Ram
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming Extreme
SSD Samsung 860 1 TB
HD Seagate Firecuda 2 TB
Antec 750W Gold
Cooler Be Quiet 4
Oculus Rift S

Thoughts?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 02:05 jdreyer

I watched the trailer twice, and I never do that. This looks pretty cool.  

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

72. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 02:03 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 02:00:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 23:00:
This was the only way it could happen. VR needs a top-notch game that gets peopleís attention, and since VR canít compete on flashy graphics, it has to be a *name* everyone loves. It also has to be made by a company that KNOWS it wonít ever turn a profit, which means they canít have shareholders. It would also need a company thatís already worked on VR interactions before, as itís so alien that developers are STILL trying to figure out how to use it.

Valve is the only company in that position, and they did it. They 100% knew it would piss off a ton of people, but VR canít survive without REAL games for it.

You can be cranky old men about it, or give it an honest try instead of pretending you already know what itís like. Precisely zero people have tried my VR setup and walked away disappointed. Did they buy a set themselves? Generally, no. But they have a positive impression of it, which was all I was looking for. VR isnít cheap, but it IS an experience unlike anything else. Valve knows it. Everyone whoís given it a chance knows it.

This is a great post with perspective. Only Valve could have done this, because the money is up on the screen, and it absolutely won't turn a profit through the game sales. It might sell more headsets, and they're hoping a lot of them will be Index. Note that they could have been dicks and made this an Index exclusive.

I suppose that's one way to put, but I called it WAY back in the day when the Oculus was first emerging. All of it can be distilled down into two words: killer app. A killer app is the ONLY thing that will enable mass adoption of VR, and once mass adoption happens where VR goes will be limitless.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

71. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 02:00 jdreyer

This was the only way it could happen. VR needs a top-notch game that gets peopleís attention, and since VR canít compete on flashy graphics, it has to be a *name* everyone loves. It also has to be made by a company that KNOWS it wonít ever turn a profit, which means they canít have shareholders. It would also need a company thatís already worked on VR interactions before, as itís so alien that developers are STILL trying to figure out how to use it.

Valve is the only company in that position, and they did it. They 100% knew it would piss off a ton of people, but VR canít survive without REAL games for it.

You can be cranky old men about it, or give it an honest try instead of pretending you already know what itís like. Precisely zero people have tried my VR setup and walked away disappointed. Did they buy a set themselves? Generally, no. But they have a positive impression of it, which was all I was looking for. VR isnít cheap, but it IS an experience unlike anything else. Valve knows it. Everyone whoís given it a chance knows it.

This is a great post with perspective. Only Valve could have done this, because the money is up on the screen, and it absolutely won't turn a profit through the game sales. It might sell more headsets, and they're hoping a lot of them will be Index. Note that they could have been dicks and made this an Index exclusive.

70. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:57 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 22:49:
I would be surprised if this game is over 10 hours. I'll definitely be taking my time.

I would be surprised if it's over five hours.

69. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:57 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 18:12:
Well, I for one welcome our new VR overlords.

Don't you mean the VR Combine?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

68. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:55 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 21:45:
Well I'm sure all dozen owners of VR equipment will enjoy at getting to play one actual game with their $1000 paper weight. The rest of us will be passing, thanks.

I picked up my (then) top of the line Samsung Odyssey for less than $300 last year.

67. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:54 Kxmode

Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:14:
VR only? Valve can go and fuck themselves for screwing us over like this. We have been waiting on a new Half Life game for a decade and this is the bullshit they pull. Yea, fuck you valve!!

How do you suppose they get people to buy their new VR device? Make a game "that is so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology." aka a killer app

66. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:53 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 20:21:
I don't know if they have the willpower to pull it off... but I would love if the point of this game is to prepare the market for HL3 VR more years down the road.

Like you can imagine them wanting to do HL3 this way but knowing the reaction that would cause (as evidenced by this thread) they decide, "Okay we'll do a shorter prequel with Alyx and see how it goes." Hell part of it might have just been them seeing if they could still pull off a AAA SP experience regardless of VR. It's been a long damn time since Portal 2 and from what I remember reading that was a bit of a motivation fiasco and they had to bring in a lot of outside help. They nearly swore off big-ship product releases like that for SP.

HL3 VR will depend partly on how well this one sells. So pony up!

65. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:52 Kxmode

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 14:16:
Seeing the finger movements definitely makes an Index purchase that much more appealing.... That scavenging for ammo, though!

That was my favorite part and greatly piqued my interest.

64. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:51 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 19:46:
For me, it has very little to do with the costs. As I have said many times, I am a lazy bum. Which means, I enjoy sitting essentially still while I play games. I don't want to be waving my arms around or looking around with my head -- way too much effort. I am surprised by the time line. Clearly they are much further along than I would have guessed. They did a good job of keeping this under wraps while they worked on it. It is more than a little surprising news didn't leak out earlier in their process.

It would seem to me there is no way they'll make money on it. The VR populace simply isn't big enough. So, in that sense it is pure Valve -- doing what they want to do the way they want to do it and screw what anyone else thinks about it. On the one hand you have to give them some credit for doing things the way they think it should be done. However, on the other hand it does feel a bit like a "screw you" to their loyal fan base. It would be nice if they come back later with a non VR version, but I won't be holding my breath.

They'll make money by selling headsets. Think of it as the inverse of consoles, where they sell the hardware below cost and make it back on the software.

63. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:51 Kxmode

Saboth wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 13:36:
AKA: Half Life: Buy the Vive, now!

Naw dawg. Buy an Index. Valve's VR.

62. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:48 jdreyer

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 17:19:
I'm not sold on VR yet. I think it still has several years to go before (or if) I take the plunge. Not only that, but I just don't like wearing something on my head that blocks out my surroundings. It would have to be like "real" virtual reality and not just a screen strapped to my head.

Key VR selling point: you can watch teh pr0n without anyone in the room knowing...

61. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:47 Kxmode

chickenboo wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 13:33:
I for one am happy to see Valve releasing another HL title. I don't have VR gear but depending on reviews it may prompt me to pick up a headset.

There it is! Killerapp. Called it!

60. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:47 Kxmode

Pretty sure this is going to be THE killer app for VR. I've sat out of VR this whole time because nothing ever interested me. But this... this is amazing.

Publishers and VR device mfgrs better give Valve some love here, because this could be THE game that pushes hardware sales and in turn fuel more VR games.

59. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:46 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 16:20:
One thing that I found really jarring though was the disembodied hands floating around. Could they not have modeled some arms on those hands, so it doesn't look so weird? It continuously breaks the immersion, at least to me.

If they included arms, they'd have to include bewbs. Then 10,000 guys would end up in the hospital with dislocated neck vertebrae from looking down at a 90 degree angle for a week straight.

58. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 23:10 Mr. Tact

You can be cranky old men about it, or give it an honest try instead of pretending you already know what itís like.
I'm not being cranky, I'm being lazy.

However I do agree with what you said about Valve making a VR title from the HL universe being probably the biggest thing done to date for VR. Will it cause a noticeable bump in VR ownership? Will this be the moment looked back at as the turning point for VR? Only time will tell...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

57. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 23:00 HoSpanky

56. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 22:49 Sepharo

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 22:31:
(That said, I still have a old codger boner for a real HL3 and blame Valve's lack of hierarchy to make it happen. I also hope the rumor that HL:A will have a pancake version later is true.)

Had they released it in a normal time frame it most likely would have been that.
But they tried to release more frequently with episodes, and they came to realize (along with the rest of the industry) that it's just as much of a nightmare putting out more frequent but somewhat smaller releases instead of "full length" products. That's not just gaming either, that's the whole software industry. It was a precursor to games as a service... except you can't really do a "full length" SP game like that... sure you can continue to release DLC and updates like that after it's out, but it needs to be a full and polished experience throughout the whole, possibly lengthy, game at release.
So instead we got TF2, CS:S/GO, DOTA 2, Artifact... there was a Portal 2 in there but they said it was such a hassle to develop like that again that Gabe had to force his employees to do things (the horror, imagine lol) to get it out.
Hopefully this signifies a return to buckling down and making and releasing SP games (even if it takes years and years)... that all being said, I would be surprised if this game is over 10 hours. I'll definitely be taking my time.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2019, 19:13.

55. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 21, 2019, 22:38 Sepharo

Red886 wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 22:24:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 20:21:
I don't know if they have the willpower to pull it off... but I would love if the point of this game is to prepare the market for HL3 VR more years down the road.

Like you can imagine them wanting to do HL3 this way but knowing the reaction that would cause (as evidenced by this thread) they decide, "Okay we'll do a shorter prequel with Alyx and see how it goes." Hell part of it might have just been them seeing if they could still pull off a AAA SP experience regardless of VR. It's been a long damn time since Portal 2 and from what I remember reading that was a bit of a motivation fiasco and they had to bring in a lot of outside help. They nearly swore off big-ship product releases like that for SP.

afaik, all the guys responsible for the AAA SP games that we love have left valve a looong time ago

Who made this one then?

94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >