Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Half-Life: Alyx in March

Valve has followed through on their promise, revealing first details of Half-Life: Alyx, a new installment in the Half-Life series that will require a virtual reality headset. The game will be free to owners of Valve's Index and will also support Rift, Vive, and Windows Mixed Reality. This Source 2 engine project is planned for release in March 2020 (Valve Time), and it is already available for pre-purchase on Steam. There is more information on the Half-Life Website, including an Announcement Trailer. While gamers have been waiting for more than a decade to learn what happens after Half-Life 2: Episode Two, word is this new game will help us understand what happened between Half-Life and Half-Life 2:
Valve, the creators of Half-Life and the Steam platform, today announced Half-Life: Alyx, a new, full-length virtual reality entry in the Half-Life series. Slated for release on Steam in March 2020, the title will be compatible with all PC-based VR headsets in March 2020.

Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Alyx Vance and her father Eli secretly mount the resistance to the brutal occupation of Earth by a mysterious alien race known as The Combine. As Alyx, players take the fight to the Combine to save the future of humanity.

Half-Life: Alyx was designed from the ground up for Virtual Reality and features all of the hallmarks of a classic Half-Life game: world exploration, puzzle solving, visceral combat, and an intricately woven story that connects it all with the characters iconic to the Half-Life universe.

"Everyone at Valve is excited to be returning to the world of Half-Life", says Valve founder Gabe Newell. "VR has energized us. We've invested a lot of ourselves in the technology. But we're also game developers at heart, and to be devoting ourselves to a VR game this ambitious is just as exciting. For that to come in the form of Half-Life feels like the culmination of a lot things we care a lot about: truly great games, cutting edge technology, and open platforms. We can't wait for people to experience this."

Half-Life: Alyx is powered by SteamVR on Valve's Source 2 engine, and can be played on Steam with all PC-based VR headsets.

View
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

94. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Dec 5, 2019, 10:43 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 02:05:
I watched the trailer twice, and I never do that. This looks pretty cool.
One of the Black Mesa devs [Adam-Bomb] made a 40 min breakdown of the 2 minute trailer (think frame by frame'ish - but never boring). Covers stuff from the HL universe, dev talk, game development and VR. I found it informative and he's not just talking to hear himself talk.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

93. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 27, 2019, 13:01 JohnnyRotten

The "the gun's unloaded... ...it's unloaded now" bit actually had me do a literal LoL.  

92. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 23, 2019, 18:13 jdreyer

If you're looking for a good VR headset for a reasonable price, the Samsung Odyssey Plus
is on sale for $230. This is an amazing price for the top WMR headset from last year. I own the original, and it's excellent.
Features & details
3K anti-sde AMOLED display (2880x1600) with wide 110O field of view
Easy setup process, leveraging inside-out tracking (no additional tracking equipment necessary)
Access to Windows mr store and steamer libraries for thousands of games & experiences
Premium, built-in AKG headphones w/360O spatial Sound and Mic
Adjustable headband, now 10% lighter with improved comfortable materials
Get 2 free months of Infinity subscription and gain unlimited access to hundreds of VR games and apps.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

91. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 23, 2019, 10:20 theglaze

MrBone wrote on Nov 23, 2019, 08:44:
theglaze wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 15:32:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 15:23:
Why Rift S instead of either Vive Pro or Index?

Price?

With the Alyx announcement, the Index package is finally available to Canadians directly from Valve. It's 2.5 times more expensive than buying the Rift S... which means you can get the S + RTX 2070 Super or 2080 for the same price as Index package.

Steeeeeeep

When you go the cheap route, you get what you pay for. The Rift is garbage compared to the Index and a 2080ti. I wouldn’t even bother with VR if you are considering this route.

I agree!

Rhetorically speaking: If the Index MSRP is out of your price range, chances are the rest of your computer can't run it anyways.

Index uses the only VR panels that can push 144Hz. That's insane, and the single biggest gap in technology between it and all the other headsets.

But pushing those pixels is very difficult...

Resolution x Refresh Rate = Pixels per Hz
Rift S @ 80 Hz = 294 million
1080p Monitor @ 144 Hz = 298 million
4K Monitor @ 60 Hz = 497 million
Index @ 144 Hz = 688 million
4K Monitor @ 144 Hz = 1,194 million

I'm into sim racing, and most dudes running Index are still optimizing around Med-High graphics quality with overclocked 9900K and 2080Ti.

This Index headset is the next-generation. And as you put it, the best is always expensive.

90. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 23, 2019, 08:44 MrBone

theglaze wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 15:32:

Price?

With the Alyx announcement, the Index package is finally available to Canadians directly from Valve. It's 2.5 times more expensive than buying the Rift S... which means you can get the S + RTX 2070 Super or 2080 for the same price as Index package.

Steeeeeeep

When you go the cheap route, you get what you pay for. The Rift is garbage compared to the Index and a 2080ti. I wouldn’t even bother with VR if you are considering this route.

89. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 16:20 Kxmode

VaranDragon, check out this SSD. Supposedly has the fastest transfer rate with read/write speeds up 5000/4400MB per second, and a medium time between failures of 1.7 million hours.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

88. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 15:32 theglaze

Price?

Steeeeeeep

87. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 15:23 jdreyer

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 12:39:
Guess I wasn't clear my SSD is indeed an M2 SSD. The ram is also 3200. I've just finished installing Win10 and the Nvidia drivers, it's been so long Im kind of stuck with what I have to next. Guess run Windows update and then Steam?

@Redeye, my old CPU was an i5-3570K

Why Rift S instead of either Vive Pro or Index? The displays are superior for both the Index and Vive, and the Index offers superior controllers.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

86. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 14:02 RedEye9

Guess I wasn't clear my SSD is indeed an M2 SSD. The ram is also 3200. I've just finished installing Win10 and the Nvidia drivers, it's been so long Im kind of stuck with what I have to next. Guess run Windows update and then Steam?

That right there was my dream CPU but i was too dense to buy it at the time.
Your new CPU should give you a nice bumpity bump.

As for what to do next...
Maybe a motherboard bios update?
I would take a look in Device Manager and see if anything looks angry.
questions marks, x's, yellow triangles with exclamation marks etc...
But I bet after a round of Winders Update or two those will be all taken care of.
If not head to the manufacturers website and research wtf is missing.

If you still can't determine what driver is missing head to the web with its hardware id (example PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_5390&SUBSYS_1636103C&REV_00) and do some googling.
https://devicehunt.com/

GOOD LUCK
and Hit us up if you run across any problems, show stoppers or venomous alien monkey worms...

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

85. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 13:56 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 12:57:
Guess I wasn't clear my SSD is indeed an M2 SSD.

There's a HDD by the same name. I thought that's what it was. My apologies.
Don't matter, it's still SATA.
SSD SATA fast, but not OMFG PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 fast.

84. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 12:57 Kxmode

Guess I wasn't clear my SSD is indeed an M2 SSD.

There's a HDD by the same name. I thought that's what it was. My apologies.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

83. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 12:39 VaranDragon

82. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 11:57 Tipsy McStagger

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 04:23:
Building a new rig (finally):

Old components that Im keeping from my old PC: RTX2060 6GB

New components:
i59600k
32GB Ram
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming Extreme
SSD Samsung 860 1 TB
HD Seagate Firecuda 2 TB
Antec 750W Gold
Cooler Be Quiet 4
Oculus Rift S

Thoughts?

get an NV.M2 PCI-E drive, it's well worth it. Even a slower intel 660p one is going to be like 70$ on black friday for 1 TB.

Later you can upgrade your CPU to a i9-9900KS which will last for year or splurge now.

The ram is good @ 32gb, make sure you get 3200 ram (it just means that it'll be able to hit those speeds without issue, you need to overclock it in your BIOS to hit those speeds FYI, can't just plug and play at those speeds)

Don't even buy an HD anymore.. not worth the 40$ price difference for M2 drives and storage capacity.

81. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 10:46 Kxmode

New components:
i59600k
32GB Ram
SSD Samsung 860 1 TB
HD Seagate Firecuda 2 TB
Antec 750W Gold
Cooler Be Quiet 4
Oculus Rift S

Thoughts?

That looks like a decent build. A few recommendations, if I may.

- Bump up the CPU (and mobo for support). A lot of modern games still rely on the CPU to handle complex geometry data.

- Switch to an M.2 SSD. You can pick up a 1TB for $100-150 or a 2TB for $200-$250. You can't even imagine how fast an SSD is. Windows 10, for example, takes 10 seconds to cold boot up (that's from power off to login with all system tray apps loaded). Most games launch in 15-20 seconds. Gameplay performance is excellent considering the near-instantaneous file/texture/asset/resource handling.

- You might run into issues with the power supply. I had a 650W, and my system would power off when playing games. Perhaps bump up to 1KW.

Here's my system for context:
CPU: I7-8700
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-2133
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
Drive 1: SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB
Drive 2: SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB
Drive 3: WD Black 2 TB 7200
PSU: 1600 Watt CORSAIR AX1600i
DISPLAYS: (2) LG 27" 4K UHD IPS

I had 4K60 in mind when putting together this system, and I'm happy to say most games perform at 60 or higher with max settings.

Jedi Fallen Order [max settings]: 60-90 FPS
Wreckfest [max]: 150
GreedFall [max]: 90
Elder Scrolls Online [max]: 145
Guild Wars 2 [max]: 70
Assassin's Creed Odyssey [max]: 60
Rage 2 [max]: 60
American Truck Simulator [max]: 120
World of Warcraft (current expansion) [max]: 60
Metal Gear Solid 5 [max]: 60

No doubt, the video card, and SSDs provide most of the performance boost, followed by the CPU and RAM. The CPU does struggle with a handful of games. If I upgraded it and the mobo, I could bump up the min framerate to 75/100.

So that will hopefully provide a benchmark.

80. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 10:21 theglaze

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 23:00:
VR needs a top-notch game that gets people’s attention, and since VR can’t compete on flashy graphics, it has to be a *name* everyone loves.

Ask anyone under the age of 25 what Half-Life is, and you're going to get a lot of blank stares. HL:A is not just a VR gameplay benchmark, but introduces the idea of HL to a whole new audience (even if they can't afford it, it will be all over Twitch and social media on release).

Hump wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 07:49:
Heres an interview with some of the Valve guys on the final lead-up and the hows and why's of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9K0eJEmMEw

Sounds like Valve has the Source 2 engine ready, and the dev team has momentum to carry forward with a wide release of HL3 in a couple years. I'd be surprised if the story for the 3rd chapter hasn't already been written.

79. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 09:55 licensedsaucer9

Look up "valve time" before you go investing in HW.

Better to wait and see if the game ever releases, and if it is actually good.

78. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 09:04 Drayth

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 06:32:
With VR stuff like this coming out in it's infancy I can't wait to see what we will be playing 5-10 years from now.

Hopefully Half-Life 3.

77. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 07:49 Hump

Heres an interview with some of the Valve guys on the final lead-up and the hows and why's of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9K0eJEmMEw

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

76. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 06:32 RedEye9

With VR stuff like this coming out in it's infancy I can't wait to see what we will be playing 5-10 years from now.

75. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 05:14 RedEye9

New components:
i59600k
32GB Ram
SSD Samsung 860 1 TB
HD Seagate Firecuda 2 TB
Antec 750W Gold
Cooler Be Quiet 4
Oculus Rift S

Thoughts?

What was your old cpu.

94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >