Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans

On the heals of the launch of Google Stadia comes a renewal of long standing rumors that Amazon is planning its own cloud gaming service. This is something they are well-positioned for, being a leader in cloud computing and the owner of Twitch. A post on Wccftech rounds up indications that this is coming together, drawing on job listings and Linkedin profiles to make their case. This ties in with a story on CNET which says they've learned more on Amazon's plans after talking with a couple of anonymous sources:
Amazon is planning to announce its service next year, according to two people familiar with the company's plans. It's begun recruiting people from large game companies like Microsoft to help with the launch, as well as hiring for jobs in a "new initiative" within its Amazon Web Services team, which sources said is involved in Amazon's future gaming service.

"We believe the evolution that began with arcade communities a quarter at a time, growing to the live streams and e-sports of today, will continue to a future where everyone is a gamer and every gamer can create, compete, collaborate and connect with others at massive scales," one job posting this month showed. And in at least one other job posting, the company said it wants to "drive innovative new use cases like machine vision and game streaming."

Amazon said in yet another job posting that it plans to integrate its new initiative with Twitch and the company's other services.
View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 23, 2019, 07:26 Bishi

Heels  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 22, 2019, 08:32 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 02:09:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 12:46:
VoodooV wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 11:12:
I don't understand why anyone would want this.

It's for people who want RTX 2080 Ti quality graphics but at GTX 1050 Intel HD Graphics 620 prices.

FTFYa

No shit. Even at its absolute best, streaming's "4K" implementation looks like 1080p on a dirty old monitor.

9. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 22, 2019, 08:16 VoodooV

So people are still dumb enough to think they can get something for nothing.

Got it.

I mean I get it, inevitably, we are going to improve our broadband infrastructure enough to make this sort of thing more viable. So it's not the technology per se that bothers me.

Again, it's the false equivalency between a larger up front one time cost versus a smaller but indefinitely recurring cost. I thought everyone knew that the small recurring cost eventually costs more. So it just galls me to see everyone rushing headlong into more monthly service costs instead of running away screaming

Just save up and buy the damned console\PC people! (preferably PC)

8. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 22, 2019, 06:44 Jonjonz

Yea sure, they did so well with that MMO...  

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

7. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 22, 2019, 02:09 jdreyer

It's for people who want RTX 2080 Ti quality graphics but at GTX 1050 Intel HD Graphics 620 prices.

FTFYa

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

6. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 22, 2019, 01:22 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 12:52:
It's for people who want RTX 2080 Ti quality graphics but at GTX 1050 prices. One reason why players pick a console instead of PC is the entry cost is much cheaper. With cloud-streaming, the charge is even less expensive, relatively speaking, of course. I'm sure, over the long term, the cost will end up more than the console or a high-end PC route.

The trouble is that they're delivering Geforce 1070 graphics, you still have to buy all of the software and you're heavily reliant on external factors outside of your control. I just don't see a cost model where they can actually deliver on their promises with a large user base, these things all feel like little experiments. Amazon knows cloud computing but shit all about the gaming market. At least Microsoft and Sony have had some experience with this and understand the business.

"gaming is going to the cloud" is something I keep hearing repeated (not by you, just generally) but so far it's frankly not impressive and reminds me of the "gaming will transition to mobile" nonsense from 7 years ago. If anything it will just be another market, not the only one.

I see what you mean. Well that sucks. What's the point of Stadia then? Seems like a DOA product.

"When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect," Bungie told The Verge.

ewww. It's the video game equivilent of O'Doul's. Puke

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

5. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 21, 2019, 14:45 Cutter

Playing Ass Creed Od on Stadia and playing it natively is a night and day difference. Unless everyone has 100 gigabit pipes and near zero latency streaming will never be as good as playing on your own hardware. I'm all for a games rental service. Origin basic for $30 a year is an incredibly good deal. More competitors is even better. Zero interest in streaming however.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

4. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 21, 2019, 12:52 Verno

It's for people who want RTX 2080 Ti quality graphics but at GTX 1050 prices. One reason why players pick a console instead of PC is the entry cost is much cheaper. With cloud-streaming, the charge is even less expensive, relatively speaking, of course. I'm sure, over the long term, the cost will end up more than the console or a high-end PC route.

The trouble is that they're delivering Geforce 1070 graphics, you still have to buy all of the software and you're heavily reliant on external factors outside of your control. I just don't see a cost model where they can actually deliver on their promises with a large user base, these things all feel like little experiments. Amazon knows cloud computing but shit all about the gaming market. At least Microsoft and Sony have had some experience with this and understand the business.

"gaming is going to the cloud" is something I keep hearing repeated (not by you, just generally) but so far it's frankly not impressive and reminds me of the "gaming will transition to mobile" nonsense from 7 years ago. If anything it will just be another market, not the only one.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

3. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 21, 2019, 12:46 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

2. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 21, 2019, 11:12 VoodooV

ldonyo wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 10:54:
It really won't matter who has a game streaming service until the broadband wasteland that is the USA sees an end to the nonsensical data caps and crappy service that we're current suffering with.

even if every single citizen had super fast broadband. My problem is with the obsession of turning everything into a service. Is purchasing a console or a PC just too much of a burden? these recurring costs inevitably end up stacking up and costing more if you just paid the one time up front cost.

1. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 21, 2019, 10:54 ldonyo

It really won't matter who has a game streaming service until the broadband wasteland that is the USA sees an end to the nonsensical data caps and crappy service that we're current suffering with.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >