Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 21, 2019, 12:42 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 11:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 23:11:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 22:33:
I bought a 10" Fire to replace a Galaxy Note 10.1 last black friday... I haven't been particularly impressed. Even so, I doubt it could corral me into giving Apple their first purchase at my expense...
You know that's comparing a loaded Cadillac with a stripped down Ford.
I actually didn't know that. I got the Note for "free" when I attended a week long class for F5 Big-IP LTMs (paid for by my employer). Assuming your assessment is accurate, I'd agree that would explain my disappointment in the Fire.
Sideloading the Google APK on the Fire made a huge difference in usability app wise.
The Fire OS is a big downgrade from even Samsungs skinning of android, and the tablet itself is more of a gateway into the Amazon universe (I ignore most of that stuff). With the good friday price I still think the fire 10 (2019 model) would be the best deal, as long as one understands it's not a premium tablet and has a bastardized version of android. Speakers aren't the loudest, you won't be gaming on it and the screen does not have the most nits or resolution.

I've made the decision and will be snagging the base model 10.2" ipad. Still real happy with my low/mid range moto smart phone and doubt I'll ever drop more than $250 for a phone, so this ipad experiment will probably be my last venture into the applezone.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2019, 12:52.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 21, 2019, 11:49 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 23:11:
I bought a 10" Fire to replace a Galaxy Note 10.1 last black friday... I haven't been particularly impressed. Even so, I doubt it could corral me into giving Apple their first purchase at my expense...
You know that's comparing a loaded Cadillac with a stripped down Ford.
I actually didn't know that. I got the Note for "free" when I attended a week long class for F5 Big-IP LTMs (paid for by my employer). Assuming your assessment is accurate, I'd agree that would explain my disappointment in the Fire.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 21, 2019, 09:16 Verno

I've found iPads put Android tablets to shame and I'm a big fan of the iPhone since the Nexus program went sideways and Pixel is a mess. I'm not a big fan of Apple's other efforts though. Their laptops are a god damn nightmare to repair and Macs have been languishing for years.

We have a Mac Classic that still boots amazingly, thing is a tank. 1MB of memory baybee!

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 21, 2019, 02:43 Armengar

Last apple purchase from me was an se/30 and a pair of mac plus. I even upgraded thr ram in thr mac plus (back in 1990)  

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 20, 2019, 23:14 Creston

Customers publish a letter to Intel saying that it's okay, they went and bought a Ryzen anyway.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 20, 2019, 23:11 RedEye9

You know that's comparing a loaded Cadillac with a stripped down Ford. I don't know what you expect out of a cheap tablet, but mine has been Uber durable and the sideloaded Google apps have performed admirably. (I like to be tracked, monitored and marketed to by not one but two conglomerates. Both amazon and Google alphabet.)

If you'd like to save $200 dollars you could buy this 10" Samsung tablet for $450 dollars, and get Android that is still 1 version behind.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2019, 23:24.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 20, 2019, 22:33 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 20, 2019, 19:52 RedEye9

Thinking of getting my second APPLE product in 25 years. previous Macintosh Performa circa mid 90's
Target Black Friday sale, the new iPad is $80 off at $250.

Either that or I'm replacing my 10" Fire with the new one for $100. (Also a bf sale, regular $150)
The new fire runs on a much newer version of Android and in turn gets better battery life. Plus it now has an 8 core cpu instead of 2017's 4 core.

Decisions decisions

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >