Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2019, 11:48 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 23:19:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 13:31:
but if it's true that ultra fast solid state storage is the new baseline, a lot of PC gamers are going to have trouble with cross-platform titles, regardless of superior CPU/GPU power.

Why would PC gamers have trouble with those titles? I imagine a significant chunk of PC gamers have been on SSDs for a while now, and the difference between top of the line NVMe SSDs and regular old SATAs isn't that huge.

Also, that "ultra fast storage" on "proprietary controllers" that both Sony and MS have been promising sounds like a lot of marketing bullshit. I think it's a fairly safe bet they just run over a PCIe bus.

Yeah I don't think it'll be a problem either. I realize I'm an outlier but I've been rockin a 2TB SSD for awhile now. My buddy is more the norm and he has a 256GB SSD and just moves games back and forth from his hard drive. The biggest problem is laptop users because manufacturers are so fuckin cheap and are still slapping 128GB drives in some models, just silly.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2019, 10:34 MattyC

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 15:19:
1 tb ssd's broke the $100 barrier a long time ago.

Sev Samsung 860 EVO 1TBs are sitting on my desk right now, just picked up for well below that. The consoles don't really have to do even that much to improve load times this generation though. The PS4 and XB One both had 5400 RPM drives in all models IIRC.

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 23:21 Creston

phinn wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 15:11:
Agree but I just don't see how they could get a 1TB SSD in there when they still cost like $120 retail. I suppose there is a big mark up and if they make a deal with sandisk or something for 50 million units and give prices keep falling over a 7 year console span it's certainly doable.

Don't forget that a year ago, those 1TB SSDs were 200+, and two years ago they went on SALE at Black Friday for like 350-400.

So add another year, and I think the retail price for a 1TB SSD will be $75. And like you said, add in Sony buying 50 million of them, and I doubt they pay more than $40 a pop for them.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 23:19 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 13:31:
but if it's true that ultra fast solid state storage is the new baseline, a lot of PC gamers are going to have trouble with cross-platform titles, regardless of superior CPU/GPU power.

Why would PC gamers have trouble with those titles? I imagine a significant chunk of PC gamers have been on SSDs for a while now, and the difference between top of the line NVMe SSDs and regular old SATAs isn't that huge.

Also, that "ultra fast storage" on "proprietary controllers" that both Sony and MS have been promising sounds like a lot of marketing bullshit. I think it's a fairly safe bet they just run over a PCIe bus.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 20:14 HorrorScope

They need a 500g SSD and then allow us to add any secondary storage we like. Playable games are on the SSD, others on the other drives, to play one on the other drive a quick button that moves Other Storage game to SSD and go.  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 15:35 jacobvandy

Backwards compatibility is confirmed, I'll definitely be trading in my PS4 Pro right away.  

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 15:21 Verno

Agree but I just don't see how they could get a 1TB SSD in there when they still cost like $120 retail. I suppose there is a big mark up and if they make a deal with sandisk or something for 50 million units and give prices keep falling over a 7 year console span it's certainly doable.

They have been pretty upfront that they want to sell as many as possible to keep digital platform revenue strong so I'm not surprised if they are willing to eat losses. Most consoles are loss leaders on a per unit basis for the first 2-3 years, the PS4 was a bit of an aberration in that respect since they costed it to be profitable day 1. As you noted already they get pretty great volume discounts too.

They need to be strong right out of the gate because Microsoft has finally hired someone with their shit together and its going to be much more competitive next gen.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 15:19 RedEye9

1 tb ssd's broke the $100 barrier a long time ago.
This one is $80. $105 for m.2 3.0 x4uber fast nvme's
A console manufacturer will get chips at near cost, further lessening the price.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 15:11 phinn

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 15:00 Verno

NAND prices are excellent right now so I'm not sure it even makes sense from a cost perspective to go with a hybrid drive. I hope they could just put a 1TB SSD in there and call it a day.

$499 is my limits for consoles and for that price I definitely want full BC. Still have a ton of PS4 games to finish off.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 13:31 jacobvandy

Going with hybrid storage would be quite the blunder after hyping up their cutting edge SSD that will improve performance so much it revolutionizes the way games are made... They've also expressed an interest in converting people to the new console as quickly as possible, so aggressive pricing would make sense there. I guess we'll find out at E3 next year, but if it's true that ultra fast solid state storage is the new baseline, a lot of PC gamers are going to have trouble with cross-platform titles, regardless of superior CPU/GPU power.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2019, 12:42 phinn

PS5 for $500 will definitely be *the* price point in late 2020, but it's hard to imagine a Zen 2 8C-16T / Navi GPU / 16GB GDDR6 / SSHD (assuming Hybrid) / 4K Blu-ray console could possibly only cost that. Would definitely feel like a great deal at first.

Of course RTX 3000 series and i7-10700K will be out by then too to obliterate next-gen consoles, but that'll cost 2-3x the amount.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >