Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

The death of anyone in our community is sad news, but an untimely death is particularly poignant. From the first reports it's not clear what took Brad McQuaid's life at the age of 51, but that's way too early. Our heartfelt condolences go out to Brad's family, friends, and fans.

Obituary: EverQuest developer Brad McQuaid dies.

Sad Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Watchmen creator Alan Moore: Modern superhero culture is embarrassing. Thanks RedEye9.
Your dog’s real age in ‘dog years’ revealed. Needs a curve for breed. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: Apollo 12 Is NASA's Forgotten Mission To The Moon. Stuck between the first (11) and the "problem" (13). Thanks RedEye9.
Woman says her dog sniffed out her ovarian cancer 4 times.
Noah Hawley Will Write And Direct The Next STAR TREK Movie. Thanks David.
Science: Human patient put in suspended animation for the first time.
Is There Actually Science Behind 'Dopamine Fasting'?
Why office noise bothers some people more than others. Thanks Slashdot.
No, Greta Thunburg is not a time-traveler in this old photo. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Woodland creatures sing a Bellini opera in beautiful short film. Thanks Neutronbeam.
FLYING Leaf Blower RC airplane Mk2.
10 year old Japanese drummer, Yoyoka, kills on drums.
Follow-up: Boeing may need to redesign engines on 7,000 jets after a fatal accident last year. Different 737. Thanks RedEye9.
The Funnies: StBeals.
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 22:30 Muscular Beaver

RIP, Brad.
Lots of nice time spent in EQ that I will never forget. Even made a few life long friends there and we still talk and laugh about our EQ adventures a lot.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 18:53 Shok

RIP Brad. Everquest advanced MUD's to 3d graphics and basically started the MMORPG genre. Thanks Brad.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 18:23 NotOneOfUs

There goes a legend.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 16:04 BIGtrouble77

Dead at 51 really sucks. I don't know what ultimately killed him, but it's so important to pay attention to our health... I'm stuck in from of a computer all day and need constantly remind myself that I have to balance my days with exercise and non-stressful stuff.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 14:41 wtf_man

Never was a big fan of his “Vision”, but RIP, Brad.  

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 14:19 NKD

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 13:38:
Nullity wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 13:12:
Watchmen creator Alan Moore: Modern superhero culture is embarrassing.
Alan Moore is embarrassing.

No, he is right. Get out of your basement.

Alan Moore is the king of basement dwellers. The dude hasn't liked anything in 30 years, probably including himself. He is like the prime example of some cringy old dude living in the past.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 14:10 Cutter

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 11:13:
So many hours spent playing EQ 1 and 2. If Brad had never lived I wonder where else I would have spent that time.

Someone else would have done it. Myself and some people were even looking into at the time. It's not like there was a shortage of people playing RPGs, CRPGs (TSR/SSI Gold box games) BBS Door games, and MUDs, et al. weren't thinking how cool it would be to have a multiplayer CRPG. Brad began by working on MUDs as well. And there were several graphical MUDs - moreso than they were MMOs - prior to EQ. EQ definitely raised the bar however, and set the tone going forward. But to put it all down to Brad is unrealistic and unfair to all the people that came before him.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 13:44 Nullity

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 13:38:

These old men yelling at the clouds need to stop trying to gate-keep everything to line up with their opinions (also referencing that Scorsese nonsense). Let people have a good time and watch what they enjoy, FFS.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 13:38 VaranDragon

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 13:12 Nullity

3. Your dog’s real age in ‘dog years’ revealed. Nov 20, 2019, 11:18 Burrito of Peace

According to that article, the family's three year old Sheltie is...47. Yeah. no. Then again, it does come from Fox news where "alternative facts" are real and opinion is more important than incontrovertible proof.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 11:13 Bill Borre

So many hours spent playing EQ 1 and 2. If Brad had never lived I wonder where else I would have spent that time.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 11:06 NKD

I feel especially bad for John Smedley. One of the guys he knew from his EverQuest days killed himself earlier in the week, and then Brad dies.

Played a lot of EverQuest back in the day, was always hoping Brad could one day come up with another great game, but then the MMO genre kind of fizzled out, relegated to crowdfunding efforts.

RIP Brad

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >