Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday

Following today's leak, Valve tweets a confirmation that Half-Life: Alyx is in development, promising an unveiling on Thursday at 1:00 pm EST:
We’re excited to unveil Half-Life: Alyx, our flagship VR game, this Thursday at 10am Pacific Time.

Can’t wait to share it with all of you!
View : : :
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday
Nov 19, 2019, 09:48
Beamer

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 09:48
Nov 19, 2019, 09:48
 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 01:22:
MrBone wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 23:01:
It is pretty silly to think that Valve would produce the Index and not support it. I find the angst to be pretty humorous.

That's kind of my feeling on it too.
Like are people surprised that a company that sunk the last decade into VR is finally going to release a VR game?
I'm excited for it...

In some other forums I'm on these weirdos are talking about "market size" and shit like that... if that's what was important they should just make mobile games I suppose. I thought we were supposed to be hardcore? I've been waiting for a flagship title, I hope it's good.

Yup, market size is a dumb argument. Valve knows it's tiny - the goal here is to increase it. It's like complaining that Super Mario World only came out on the SNES, which had an install base of 0 at the time. The whole point is giving people a reason to buy the hardware. Which, incidentally, is the same thing those people have probably been complaining about for a long while.

I'm in the "I don't really care about HL anymore camp." But unlike many in this thread, I haven't been thrashing and whining about "rolling desks" and acting as if having purchased previous HL games meant I'm owed future HL games, and that there not being one is a personal affront.

And, frankly, I don't expect this to be an integral, necessary part of the HL world. Were it, it wouldn't be Alyx based. This is an off-shoot, probably 5 hours, probably a step back in gameplay action-wise and more about exploration and discovery. In other words, not what the series is known for that VR doesn't do particularly well, but for something that fits well within the world that VR does exceptionally well. Something totally different, but leveraging existing IP to generate interest, while still most likely fitting just fine within that world.

Part of me wonders if Portal would have been better. You'd lose the action-ish elements, as being chucked at 60mph would probably make people vomit, but you could probably make a killer puzzle game with portal guns and VR.

Nov 19, 2019, 09:43
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 09:43
Nov 19, 2019, 09:43

Scholander wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 07:52:
I'm not entirely doubting "I need glasses" people, but have you guys had the chance to really play with the settings on a good VR headset? I wear glasses to correct for my inability to see long distance, and don't need to wear glasses at all with my Vive. It has a pretty serious sweet spot, and if you don't adjust the IPD setting properly it can feel real bad and feel like you need glasses.
Uh, no. My astigmatism is bad enough everything is pretty blurred. Attempting to do much of anything without my glasses is a guaranteed headache.
If it is an issue, I don't know why people don't look into getting contact lenses. Disposable lenses are very cheap, relative to a VR setup. I know many people can't wear contacts for various reasons, but it seems like an option for many. It's what I would do, but I really enjoy VR.
Because I've been wearing glasses for nearly 50 years. By the time soft contacts were available for my prescription I had no interest in them. And I don't what to start wearing them now just to play a video game.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Nov 19, 2019, 09:12
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 09:12
Nov 19, 2019, 09:12

Bob wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 08:52:
Reminds me of when Quake 3 was one of the first games requiring a GPU.
There was lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth by those not willing to buy an expensive hardware device just to play a game.

GPUs have the distinct advantage though that you don't have to strap one to your head to enjoy the fidelity Wink .

Also, I'm not sure what exactly you think you remember there... Quake 3 was at the end of the 3Dfx era. Anyone with a half-serious interest in games had a Voodoo or a TNT card back then, i.e. expensive extra hardware to run games.
Or do you just mean combined 2D/3D cards? The Mystique was the most popular 2D/3D card pre-Voodoo so people were actually used to that and the Voodoos weren't cheap either. It made absolutely no difference really.
I certainly don't remember any "gnashing of teeth". The TNT2 and the first GeForce were excellent hardware and people got to save at least one precious PCI slot (yay for a free IRQ interrupt!) to boot when the add-on cards disappeared.

Anyway, the comparison is complete suckage. VR headsets are a whole different animal due to being wearable hardware devices. Apples and... nope, not even oranges... apples and airplanes. Two totally different worlds.

Nov 19, 2019, 09:07
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 09:07
Nov 19, 2019, 09:07

edaciousx wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 02:34:
If this does well, which it will,

What are you basing that on? If 100% of all VR owners buy HL Alyx (and I have doubts this will run on an Oculus), they're going to sell what is an insignificant amount of copies.

Not that sales really matter to Valve, all their money comes from Steam anyway, but I'm pretty sure this is not going to do "well" by traditional gaming standards.

Nov 19, 2019, 08:52
Bob

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 08:52
Nov 19, 2019, 08:52
 Bob

Reminds me of when Quake 3 was one of the first games requiring a GPU.
There was lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth by those not willing to buy an expensive hardware device just to play a game.

Nov 19, 2019, 08:03
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 08:03
Nov 19, 2019, 08:03

Also, there are these:
https://vr-lens-lab.com/

(Might be a pain if other people would be using the headset. Don't know.)

Nov 19, 2019, 07:52
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 07:52
Nov 19, 2019, 07:52

I'm not entirely doubting "I need glasses" people, but have you guys had the chance to really play with the settings on a good VR headset? I wear glasses to correct for my inability to see long distance, and don't need to wear glasses at all with my Vive. It has a pretty serious sweet spot, and if you don't adjust the IPD setting properly it can feel real bad and feel like you need glasses.

If it is an issue, I don't know why people don't look into getting contact lenses. Disposable lenses are very cheap, relative to a VR setup. I know many people can't wear contacts for various reasons, but it seems like an option for many. It's what I would do, but I really enjoy VR.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2019, 08:04.

Nov 19, 2019, 07:38
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 07:38
Nov 19, 2019, 07:38

I been wanting to get a VR HMD for years as well but glasses also pose a significant problem for me as well. I really don't want to miss the first new Half-life game in years over this.

Even if the HMD can't instantly auto-correct to the prescription they should atleast let you input the prescription for your glasses and let the software make the necessary adjustments.

Given the way my eyes work I can see perfectly up close in the distance the VR headset would sit but since the VR HMD uses lenses and software to simulate far or infinite distance it doesn't work well for me.

Nov 19, 2019, 06:45
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 06:45
Nov 19, 2019, 06:45

MattyC wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 04:37:
"You'll be missing out when VR takes off!" no, I won't. I will just go buy one then, at a far more reasonable price point. I don't have a vendetta against it, I have apathy. It needs something that looks fun first. VR's current timeline endpoint is right between now and the heat death of the universe. I think I am good.

I'm in the same boat. At this time, I do not see a point to VR at its current price point and price for entry.

On the technical side, I have yet to find an HMD that fits with my glasses comfortably without either digging the nosepads of my glasses in to my skin or the bows of my glasses in to the side of my head. If the place where I go get my glasses has a machine I can look in to that automatically detects my astigmatism and autocorrects itself to present a perfectly clear image, why can't a VR headset? That technology has been around for more than a decade.

So when a VR HMD can solve the problem of glasses of any width and depth and hit $199.99, I'll be interested.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Nov 19, 2019, 05:56
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 05:56
Nov 19, 2019, 05:56

Ohh ohh HL 3 incoming I feel it... I feeeeeelll it

Nov 19, 2019, 04:37
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 04:37
Nov 19, 2019, 04:37

edaciousx wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 02:34:
If this does well, which it will, half life 3 will have a better chance.

Yeah, people keep trying to sell me on VR - same as 10 years ago, but I don't care about how it does. Let me know when it has a killer app. I haven't seen one yet and I highly doubt this will be it. "You'll be missing out when VR takes off!" no, I won't. I will just go buy one then, at a far more reasonable price point. I don't have a vendetta against it, I have apathy. It needs something that looks fun first. VR's current timeline endpoint is right between now and the heat death of the universe. I think I am good.
I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

Nov 19, 2019, 04:36
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 04:36
Nov 19, 2019, 04:36

Im kind of on the cusp of getting VR. If you are getting VR for some far-off-in-the-future game you're not doing it right.

Im probably going to jump in, not for Alyx but for games and sims that are already great and even better in VR. Problem is Im gonna have to shell out some serious cash for a monster PC that can support it properly. This is literally the only thing that is giving me pause at the moment.

Nov 19, 2019, 02:34
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 02:34
Nov 19, 2019, 02:34

I'm excited.

You guys don't get vr. It's a different platform. It will not replace PC gaming. VR is currently in the state before thresh set the wasd standard in quake 1. Boneworks Should set the standard along with half life alyx for vr gaming. If this does well, which it will, half life 3 will have a better chance.

Nov 19, 2019, 02:19
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 02:19
Nov 19, 2019, 02:19

No thanks, I don't care about Alyx or VR.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Nov 19, 2019, 02:06
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 02:06
Nov 19, 2019, 02:06

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 00:05:
Is there a nude patch yet????
Alyx VR nude mod dropping in 3..2..1..
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Nov 19, 2019, 02:05
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 02:05
Nov 19, 2019, 02:05

Overon wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 22:56:
It's like Blizzard announcing the next Diablo was going to be mobile shovelware.
Except that mobile gaming is a step back and VR is a step forward.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Nov 19, 2019, 01:22
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 01:22
Nov 19, 2019, 01:22

MrBone wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 23:01:
It is pretty silly to think that Valve would produce the Index and not support it. I find the angst to be pretty humorous.

That's kind of my feeling on it too.
Like are people surprised that a company that sunk the last decade into VR is finally going to release a VR game?
I'm excited for it...

In some other forums I'm on these weirdos are talking about "market size" and shit like that... if that's what was important they should just make mobile games I suppose. I thought we were supposed to be hardcore? I've been waiting for a flagship title, I hope it's good.

Nov 19, 2019, 00:33
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 00:33
Nov 19, 2019, 00:33

Gotta hand it to Valve one thing they are good at is steadily collecting a paycheck while maintaining the status quo

Nov 19, 2019, 00:05
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 00:05
Nov 19, 2019, 00:05

Is there a nude patch yet????
DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

Nov 19, 2019, 00:03
Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 00:03
Nov 19, 2019, 00:03

Sorry Gabe most of your fans died waiting for HL3.
DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older