Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday

Following today's leak, Valve tweets a confirmation that Half-Life: Alyx is in development, promising an unveiling on Thursday at 1:00 pm EST:
We’re excited to unveil Half-Life: Alyx, our flagship VR game, this Thursday at 10am Pacific Time.

Can’t wait to share it with all of you!
View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 21, 2019, 18:16 Dacote

theglaze wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 08:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 06:27:
This HL VR game is 99% guaranteed to be a Vive/Index exclusive OR it will be shittified for other VR sets to the point that only Vive/Index are going to be a viable option to play this shit on.

It's the Index controllers, man, the best motion controllers released to date. They offer a new depth in input that will mind blow people today...

The controllers will completely change in-game problem solving from "Press A" to interact, to "Reach down and move a piece of metal sheeting, discover an object you've been searching for. Pick it up and rotate in your hands to find the keyhole, use the fragile key in your other hand, apply gentle pressure to unlock it by loosening your grip of the controller, observing the rumble feedback as your try to turn the key, maybe a jiggle, so you don't break the key inside the hole..... you hear a headcrab squawk behind you! Quick!!!... switch to your crowbar and smack it out of the air as it jumps to mount your face!!!"

Just wait, gentlemen, for 11pm PST.
Winner Winner Chicken Tv Dinner
You are correct
https://www.half-life.com/en/alyx/vr

Play Half-Life: Alyx with any SteamVR-compatible system
Valve Index
HTC Vive
Oculus Rift
Windows Mixed Reality
Oculus Quest with PC and Link Cable
However you play, we've got you covered.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 21, 2019, 07:18 Beamer

People need to stop talking about the market. This game isn't being made to sell a game, it's being made to sell VR. What was the market for the NES when Mario came out?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

53. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 21, 2019, 02:20 Quinn

If this is VR, then fuck Steam and fuck HL. I can't afford both a ridiculously expensive VR kit PLUS the rig you need for the games to run the way they should in VR.

We'll see, though.

Anyway, I've never been too much of a fanboy for HL. HL1 was revolutionary and a big part of my youth, but HL2 felt more like... Crysis; like a playground for a new technology, in this case the physics engine.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

52. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 20, 2019, 23:33 Creston

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 13:16:
Why the hell wouldn't it work with Oculus, Vive, and Index? That maximizes their already slim market?

Clearly Valve doesn't care about market, because it being a VR title means it's going to sell relatively few copies anyway. So why won't it work with Oculus, well, presumably so they can drive customer engagement towards their own VR offering(s)? (do they still care about the Vive, or are they all-in on the Index now?)

They've been building Steam's VR integration for years to handle all sorts of headsets and controllers?

Yes, but if you go to the effort of creating a "flagship" title, odds seem at least decent that you didn't do so to support a competitor's product? I mean, who knows, maybe they did. I'd say it's 50/50.

But I guess even in the face of reason, Edgelords gonna Edge. Kind of like some of the tribal voting patterns we see in the US, I suppose. No logic, just the 'feels'.

Oh, you're one of those... I shouldn't have bothered.

51. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 20, 2019, 21:09 RedEye9

The 0.32% of Steam users who have VR are really a bunch of excited guys.
Best Twatter comment

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

50. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 20, 2019, 10:06 ForgedReality

Honestly, who cares?

This is just console gaming for casuals with money.

No thanks.

49. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 20, 2019, 09:54 CJ_Parker

theglaze wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 08:49:
It's the Index controllers, man, the best motion controllers released to date. They offer a new depth in input that will mind blow people today...

They can shove their €1079 "mind blow" kit right up their collective greedy assholes. The only thing they can blow here is my dick.

Wake me up when Valve joins the ranks of sensible VR offerings at €499 max(!!!). Never gonna happen because of their greed though so fuck them.

48. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 20, 2019, 08:58 RedEye9

Valve unveiling a game that they are developing.
Wake me in 2025.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

47. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 20, 2019, 08:49 theglaze

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 06:27:
This HL VR game is 99% guaranteed to be a Vive/Index exclusive OR it will be shittified for other VR sets to the point that only Vive/Index are going to be a viable option to play this shit on.

The controllers will completely change in-game problem solving from "Press A" to interact, to "Reach down and move a piece of metal sheeting, discover an object you've been searching for. Pick it up and rotate in your hands to find the keyhole, use the fragile key in your other hand, apply gentle pressure to unlock it by loosening your grip of the controller, observing the rumble feedback as your try to turn the key, maybe a jiggle, so you don't break the key inside the hole..... you hear a headcrab squawk behind you! Quick!!!... switch to your crowbar and smack it out of the air as it jumps to mount your face!!!"

Just wait, gentlemen, for 11pm PST.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2019, 09:28.

46. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 20, 2019, 06:27 CJ_Parker

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 13:16:
Why the hell wouldn't it work with Oculus, Vive, and Index? That maximizes their already slim market? They've been building Steam's VR integration for years to handle all sorts of headsets and controllers?

Cuz Valve is all about exclusivity and locking out others. Not a single Valve game has been released outside of Steam to this day even though candidates like the original Half-Life are WAY overdue for a GOG release.

Even fucking Blizztard has opened up recently and made the first Diablo + expansion available outside of B.net by putting it on GOG. Valve are literally the last bastion of all-out exclusivity. Every other publisher that runs a digital storefront has their games on other platforms. Not Valve. They are exclusivity fascists.

45. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 14:29 Bob

For an early Half-Life VR fix you can now play HL1 (Lambda1VR) which has been ported to the standalone oculus quest headset.

With the bonus being that you can now connect the quest to the PC and also play PC VR games on it. In theory that includes the next HL:A as well.

44. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 13:46 audun

The Ars Technica article is saying Valve Index, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality. I guess we'll see... First thing that's made me Google "best VR controller 2019" in a loong time.  

43. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 13:16 Primalchrome

Reading through these comments is disturbing... Valve/Steam has been pushing VR advancement for years. They have been pushing controller integration for years. Essentially using their "3vil 30%" to further PC Gaming. Yet when they announce a great flagship product....this is the response? "won't work with oculus", "muh HL3!", "Reeeeee!"

Why the hell wouldn't it work with Oculus, Vive, and Index? That maximizes their already slim market? They've been building Steam's VR integration for years to handle all sorts of headsets and controllers?

But I guess even in the face of reason, Edgelords gonna Edge. Kind of like some of the tribal voting patterns we see in the US, I suppose. No logic, just the 'feels'.

42. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 13:04 Primalchrome

El Pit wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 12:19:
Valve screws over the fans that made it big when they bought Half-Life in droves. People that would have bought another Half-Life game. But will now be given the finger by making the next Half-Life game a VR exclusive.

Middlefinger

There. Right there. I will never defend Steam again. Ever. And have just bought two more games over at Epic that I actually wanted to wait for to be released on Steam. Here is my reaction, Valve, and I used my wallet for it.
...do you think....just maybe....it would have been a little more rational to wait until the announcement? The rumor is that it is Valve's flagship VR product/engine but that there will be a pancake version.

41. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 12:24 licensedsaucer9

My skepticometer is going nuts. It's not enough for the game to be good, it must be revolutionary. They succeeded once with HL, I don't think they can do it again.  

40. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 12:19 El Pit

Valve screws over the fans that made it big when they bought Half-Life in droves. People that would have bought another Half-Life game. But will now be given the finger by making the next Half-Life game a VR exclusive.

Middlefinger

There. Right there. I will never defend Steam again. Ever. And have just bought two more games over at Epic that I actually wanted to wait for to be released on Steam. Here is my reaction, Valve, and I used my wallet for it.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

39. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 11:12 audun

If there ever was an opportunity for a “one more thing...” it’s at the end of the HL: Alyx unveiling...  

38. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 10:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

HL3 Cancelled. Here's a VR game though, for the .005% of you with VR headsets!

Seriously though, I'm at least a little curious to see what they've made.

37. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 10:28 Drayth

*sad music plays*
Alyx - "Daaa…..d"
*Slow fade in*
*Eli's lifeless body is shown in the hangar from Ep2's ending*
*slow fade back to black*
*Soft whir from Dog is heard*
"Wha… what is that Dog? Is tha…. is that....??"
*Screen fades back to Dog holding the same ball from Black Mesa East*
"Dog, where did you get that?"
*Another, more excited whir is heard from Dog*
"What?? A game? A game of...." *dramatic pause* "BASKETBALL?"
"Dog, I... I...….. I DO BELIEVE IT'S ON!!"
*Record scratch*
*Cue exciting techno-hip hop music*
Announcer - "That's right! Return to the world you've been waiting for... for VR BASKETBALL!! Play against Dog or challenge a friend in the world's first fully immersive virtual BASKETBALL experience!!"
Alyx - "Now that's a sLAMBDA'unk!!"

Pre-order now to get the Alyx Vance TF2 Bandana!!

...I mean this is modern Valve we're talking here....

36. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Confirmed; Unveiling Thursday Nov 19, 2019, 10:09 Bob

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 09:12:
...Anyway, the comparison is complete suckage.....

I know, you're right. I can't really remember stuff that happened that long ago. It was a feeble attempt to poke at those complaining.

But having invested in most of the oculus vr hardware since the DK1 days I'm kinda biased.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >