Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked?

DSOGaming and Wccftech report a rumor that a new VR game called Half-Life: Alyx will be announced at the Video Game Awards 2019, saying this is aiming for a March 2020 release. This seems to have its origins in a leaked interview with Robin Walker and another Valve employee conducted by awards host Geoff Keighley. This was posted to Google Docs, but has since been removed with a complaint that PC Gamer's "clickbait" coverage may put the announcement in jeopardy, which seems an odd concern to attach to a deliberate leak. So this is unconfirmed for now, and we will learn more about the accuracy of this information when the awards show airs on December 12th. In the meantime, here's the part of the purported leak that mentions the game, and how it is not actually intended to be Half-Life 3:
(Geoff:) Speaking of "Half-Life: Alyx", (It will be at) The Game Awards, December 12th. We will have more to share with you on the game there so I hope you get to tune in. I'm excited to show more of it there.

But I think people probably wonder, okay, moving forward does this mean that Valve now is just making VR games? Are we going to get that Half-Life 3, or that new big, epic kind of Valve game down the road? Or is it, oh now we're makin' VR games, that's what we do?

I mean, we're very excited about this, but you know, until we ship, you never know. Maybe we're all really wrong, and it's terrible. We have to wait and see what the reception is like.
View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 24, 2019, 16:13 RedEye9

MrBone wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 16:02:
I have the Valve Index, so hopefully this story is true. We could always use another high-end title. VR is very fun, but I wouldn't call it "must-have" just yet. Mostly mess around with Beat-Saber right now.
I look forward to your Alyx review.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 19, 2019, 17:14 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 16:07:
Dude, at some point, you need to let it go. You'll be so much happier.

You really need to pay attention.

This isn't about No Man's Sky. This is about Geoff Keighley.

As a media personality who had first, exclusive, and extensive access to No Man's Sky, he, outside Sean Murray and Hello Games, was in a unique position to know the status of a game well before its release. He even told us as much in the video. He sat on the information and never warned consumers. He failed in his job to be on our side. It calls into question who's side he'll take when the right thing to do is so blatantly obvious. That makes him untrustworthy.

To put it another way, would you ever trust a review from Filip Miucin to be his own?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 19, 2019, 16:07 Beamer

Dude, at some point, you need to let it go. You'll be so much happier.  

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 19, 2019, 13:11 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 20:26:
NKD wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 18:34:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 18:12:
Geoff Keighley knew about No Man's Sky status before its release date and yet choose to not to speak up and warn consumers. As far as I'm concerned he puts the publisher's interest ahead of the consumer's. That makes him untrustworthy.

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1196566870360387584
insert Nelson's laugh from the Simpsons.

Do you honestly think I would post that comment without backup evidence? Read my follow-up comment below.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 19, 2019, 13:05 Kxmode

Geoff Keighley knew about No Man's Sky status before its release date and yet choose to not to speak up and warn consumers. As far as I'm concerned he puts the publisher's interest ahead of the consumer's. That makes him untrustworthy.

Source from his own words, quoted below for brevity.

"
Before we wrap up, I wanted to spend a couple of minutes talking about a game that has been a hot topic these past few months. Indeed yesterday word got out that the Advertising Standards Authority and England is exploring whether this game is responsible for false advertising. I'm talking about No Man's Sky from Hello Games, which came out in August for PlayStation and PC.

Now, I honestly resisted saying anything about this game for the better part of the past year because I've been sort of internally conflicted about what I saw happening, and I played a role in this. I've been in some of the cringe reels on YouTube of a lot of the broken promises, and honestly, the last time I saw the guy who heads up hello games, Sean Murray, was back in March. He told me then that he didn't really want to be around me that much anymore because he thought I was a little too negative about the game and my assessment of where the team was at. They were under an incredible amount of pressure, and I've lived through this game. I helped launch the game in December of 2013 or launch the announcement of it when Sean and his team came out to Los Angeles from Guildford, England to debut their vision at an award show called VGX, and, like many of you, I was taken by the story of these young indie developers. Ten of them in an old travel agency in Guildford, England, developing this beautiful rich procedurally generated world that let you swim below the ocean and fly amongst the stars. It captured our imagination.

Now I had many strong discussions with Sean and the team as they led up to launch. I disagreed with them charging $60 and putting it in a box when I think what they should have done was put it out as an early access game and let people play it, and build it over time with the team and the community. ... We all wanted to believe in No Man's Sky, and Sean did too so much that he was never able to build up the gumption to rip off that band-aid and reveal what was and wasn't in the game. I've read it over the past few years that maybe the platform we gave him to launch the game was too big and created this black hole that he couldn't pull himself out of. But no matter what, you have to be honest with your fans. You can't lie, and Sean wanted to preserve the promise and mystery of the game so much he started to disrespect his audience. Those of you who paid for it, you have every right to be disappointed if you felt misled.
"

Like I said, he knew about No Man's Sky status before its release date and yet choose to not to speak up and warn consumers. He put the publisher's interest (Hello Games, in this particular case) ahead of the consumer's. In my opinion, that makes him untrustworthy.

19. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 20:59 Augur

Taking "Valve Time" into consideration I'm thinking we will be lucky to see this out by March 32nd of 2025.  

18. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 20:26 RedEye9

insert Nelson's laugh from the Simpsons.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

17. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 19:00 Cram

Well then. That escalated quickly.

16. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 18:34 NKD

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

15. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 18:12 Kxmode

14. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 16:02 MrBone

I have the Valve Index, so hopefully this story is true. We could always use another high-end title. VR is very fun, but I wouldn't call it "must-have" just yet. Mostly mess around with Beat-Saber right now.  

13. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 16:00 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 15:42:
yonder wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 15:09:
NKD wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 14:54:
Ahumado wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 12:50:
Alyx is a boy just so you all now that

You know that glue isn't for eating right?

What a stupid question. He CLEARLY knows it's for sniffing.
Duh, paste is for eating.

But where do crayons come in, and lead paint chips? Asbestos dust?

12. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 15:56 CJ_Parker

Nah. I'm pretty sure Alyx is an "it".

11. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 15:42 RedEye9

yonder wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 15:09:

Duh, paste is for eating.

10. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 15:09 yonder

9. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 14:54 NKD

8. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 14:16 afka Rossini

I've been thinking about getting into VR. This would be the game to push me over the cliff. On the other hand, Blue says the target date is March of next year. I wonder if the exact release date is March 32nd, 2020.  

7. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 13:39 VaranDragon

Wut?

6. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 13:17 El Pit

A new Half-Life game?! Amazed Woohoo W00t

VR exclusive?! Bomb Veryangry Middlefinger

Time to buy more games from Epic to send a message, it seems...

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

5. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Game Plans Leaked? Nov 18, 2019, 12:50 Ahumado

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >