Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Terminator: Resistance Released

Terminator: Resistance is now available for Windows on Steam. This was released on Thursday, so apologies for failing to mention this at the time. We did note the release of the Launch Trailer, so that may already be familiar. This post covers the launch, and includes a discrete tutorial on changing your field of view. Here's the news:
The wait is finally over, the game is out now and we hope that everyone is enjoying Terminator: Resistance so far! We have been paying close attention to everyone's feedback and it's great to see so much support and interest for the game!

The main goal with this project has been to create a story and world which Terminator fans will love, remaining faithful to the source material shown in the beloved movies.

Although the game has released, we will still be working hard to ensure that everyone gets to enjoy the game to it's fullest. If you are unsure about something before purchasing, or experiencing any technical issues, please let us know in the discussion section.

We are aware of some of issues which have already been posted, so rest assured that we're paying attention! We will work with the developers at Teyon to ensure that the game can be played by as many people as possible!

A very big thank you to everyone again for supporting and showing interest in Terminator: Resistance!

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 13:41 VaranDragon

MacLeod wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 09:21:
Not getting into the game quality itself... but this is a weird timing for a release.

You literally just had a Cameron produced and co-written by sequel come out that effectively wiped out this timeline and replaced it with a new AI and future.

But instead of making the game based on that new future, we make it based on the nonexistent one.

You do realize that this is all make-believe and so is the game so who gives a shit?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 10:13 Wesp5

MacLeod wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 09:21:
You literally just had a Cameron produced and co-written by sequel come out that effectively wiped out this timeline and replaced it with a new AI and future.

As far as I know the new Terminator movie was such a big failure, that the new timeline isn't any more relevant as those of T3, T4 or T5. So all we have is two good Terminator movies and maybe with this one and Terminator Future Shock two good Terminator games ;)!

26. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 09:49 Acleacius

My guess is it actually made this timeline's rights more affordable, especially for a indie developer.
Plus their series could show how this timeline was overwritten, and up to the point of Cameron's new timeline.

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

25. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 09:21 MacLeod

Not getting into the game quality itself... but this is a weird timing for a release.

But instead of making the game based on that new future, we make it based on the nonexistent one.

24. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 08:44 VaranDragon

Anyone else think it's pretty sad that this low budget trailer is better than pretty much every single Terminator film to come out since T2: Judgement day?  

23. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 06:25 Jonjonz

Checkpoints? We don't need no stinking checkpoints!

No sale.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

22. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 03:08 Kxmode

SirKnight wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 21:22:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 21:08:
How I choose to play a game is of no concern to the developers.

That's only true for an open world game. Otherwise, it IS the concern of the developers how they want the game and story to unfold/be played. You either like it or not.

I don't like it and I'll play the game as I see fit. I am not going to let them waste my time or dictate how I should play.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

21. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 00:13 bigspender

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 19:27:
Why is there a checkpoint? If the answer is consoles, today's console have hard drives making the checkpoint system obsolete. So why do developers persist with checkpoints? Does it take too much development time to put in a save/load anywhere system?

There's no F5 or F9 keys on the controllers

Although I guess some games have it as a feature, such as those racing games that allow you to rewind after a crash. Which is pretty neat. I guess it's just a matter of time before an FPS game does it. Thematically it would fit well into something like Super Hot. And now that I think more about it, we had it ages ago in Prince of Persia Sands of Time, done beautifully.

I don't mind checkpoints if the game does it well, such as Dark Souls where the checkpoints (bonfires) are part of the world, and the challenge of the game is specifically getting from one to the other as best as you can. (instead of most games, which use checkpoints as more of checklist, and usually in the wrong damn stop, and only as a way to punish the player. That's bad game design from the get go - you need an incentive not to die, which isn't a punishment (unless that's part of the game, such as hardcore mode in Diablo)).

I think largely though it's a memory / gpu / cpu limitations on consoles (and most PCs) - often they are pushed to the limits, and actually stream the textures and 3D models in just before they are needed, and let go again sooner after, because they simply can't fit the whole level into the memory at once (and the CPU / GPU can't handle it all in one go either), and even if they could, it would take minutes to load a level from scratch - where as now we are tricked into playing a snippet of the game while the rest loads seamlessly during gameplay, bit by bit, so we don't notice the loading - pretty smart tbh. Which is why rewind works OK, since all of that is already loaded. But I don't think there are enough resources (even on PC tbh) to be able to load a whole different area of the map easily like you can with something like Doom 1 or Quake. You'd be looking at long loading times between loads, unless they were in the same area of your game. Where as with checkpoints, they hide all of that loading (since you typically start in an area which loads super fast, and then the rest loads in the background as you play).

Not always the case of course, but I think that's the main reason.

20. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 21:22 SirKnight

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 21:08:
How I choose to play a game is of no concern to the developers.

That's only true for an open world game. Otherwise, it IS the concern of the developers how they want the game and story to unfold/be played. You either like it or not.

19. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 21:08 Kxmode

Rilcon wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 20:34:
Why is there a checkpoint? If the answer is consoles, today's console have hard drives making the checkpoint system obsolete. So why do developers persist with checkpoints? Does it take too much development time to put in a save/load anywhere system?
Pacing and dealing with save-scumming in a simple and obvious (to the player) way. Some developers want players to replay scenarios/encounters "as intended" and not "from the instant before things went wrong", and designing and implementing systems for detecting when things "will go wrong" before they actually do is folly in most genres. It is, simply, a design decision.

It's a flawed system in my opinion. How I choose to play a game is of no concern to the developers. If they want to tie my hands behind my back, then I have no qualms using a cheat to render their checkpoint system meaningless. Do they not realize cheats exist?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 20:34 Rilcon

Pacing and dealing with save-scumming in a simple and obvious (to the player) way. Some developers want players to replay scenarios/encounters "as intended" and not "from the instant before things went wrong", and designing and implementing systems for detecting when things "will go wrong" before they actually do is folly in most genres. It is, simply, a design decision.

17. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 19:27 Kxmode

16. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 19:16 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 17:07:
Just checked, it's 3rd person and we play as naked Mackenzie Davis the whole game. Party2
I'm sure that mod is coming.
Pun intended.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 19:10 pacbowl

I read that if you launch it with a -vr switch it will run in a crude vr mode. The cutscenes don't work and the controls are wonky but apparently it does support it. Perhaps a modder can do something with it, like with Alien Isolation.  

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/pacbowl

14. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 19:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

bigspender wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 17:18:

Or an asymmetric multiplayer game. 60 human resistance players vs 4 (human) AI commanders controlling the machines from an RTS view.

Independent of the Terminator IP, this kind of game would be so awesome.

20-60 FPS players, vs 2-4 human commanders running dozens or hundreds of bot players could be so awesome. Bandwidth and server issues would crop up, but there could be a really cool game in there. Quite a bit of playtesting would be needed to even approach being balanced, but it would be a unique, new(?) game.

Even the old Battlezone games weren't quite like that.

13. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 17:18 bigspender

The gameplay is too basic, and boring. But I hope this will show that there is a market for a good Terminator game. They really need to give the license to a large and proven studio and let them do something more interesting than shooting lame robots that aren't from the movies the entire game.... they missed the mark between making the robots feel dangerous, but also not annoying or spongy.

The universe is perfect for a survival style game. While Future Shock has not aged well, at the time they marked the 2029 feeling.

E.g. A semi open world like MGS5 so you are part of a guerilla squad, raiding for supplies in your shelter, and then raiding tactical facilities to influence the overall war. And like MGS5 really allow for setting up the raids, because you don't have the fire power, so tactics are important.

Or give me a GTA style game where I'm the T800 and need to find targets, with out being discovered by the law.

Or an asymmetric multilayer game. 60 human resistance players vs 4 (human) AI commanders controlling the machines from an RTS view. This way people can play out those Kyle Reese battle scenes.

Is even settle for a Future Shock reskin (minus the maze like facilities and button hunts)

12. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 17:07 Acleacius

Just checked, it's 3rd person and we play as naked Mackenzie Davis the whole game. Party2  

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 15:59 Talisorn

phorce phed wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 13:57:
A number of the Steam reviews are name-checking Terminator: Future Shock and Terminator: Skynet so if you appreciated those it might be worth a closer look.

I remember "Future Shock" back in the day and it was a damn good game. Is it exclusive to Steam?

10. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 15:53 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 15:47:
It is decidedly a Terminator game set not long after the events of Judgement Day.
I suppose in cosmic terms, 31 years is "not long after."
I'd recommend it if you like non-hyperactive shooting and running constantly. You can sneak your way to most objectives.
That's just what the Dr. ordered.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 15:49 jdreyer

No BR mode, no sale.

This looks pretty cool. SP FPS games are rare, so I'll definitely pick this up at some point.

In other words, I'll be back.

That's I've got for now. Hasta la vista baby!

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >