Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to the Left 4 Dead series, as the original came out on November 17, 2008, and the sequel was released 10 years ago today on November 17, 2009. And happy belated birthday to Half-Life 2, which first arrived 15 years ago yesterday, on November 16, 2004. We're currently in Valve's sweet spot, as the 21st anniversary of the release of the original Half-Life is coming up in two days. So what does this all mean? Of course... Half-Life 3 confirmed!

Obituary: Last Hindenburg survivor Werner Gustav Doehner dies at age 90.

Half-Links: Thanks Ant.
Story: Dunkin' is breaking up with foam coffee cups.
Science: Big study casts doubt on need for many heart procedures.
Media: HurtStone Ep 5 Battlegrounds (Lich King v King Mukla).
Bar installs 70+ Big Mouth Billy Bass fish to sing pop songs.
Where the 1960s "psychedelic" look came from. Drugs?
The Funnies: Brevity.
EvilPotato on Instagram.
View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2019, 13:20 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 02:25:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 03:05:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 22:21:
Also, I knew it was a Netflix show, but did they put it in theaters? Nothing was showing locally for me.

Good cinema is good cinema. Does it matter if it premiers in your home?
Besides the fact that I have a crappy TV?

A crappy TV is irrelevant.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2019, 12:39 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 12:18:
I dunno, an annual checkup can catch a lot of things that way. Esp now that you're older, you really should be going. My cancer got caught at my checkup 15 years ago. The surgeon told me that if it had gone a couple more weeks it would have been inoperable.
Well, it doesn't have anything to do with exercise, but you aren't wrong. However, serious illness without symptoms is unusual -- I'll take those chances. I don't suspect I'd miss much if I died soon anyway.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2019, 12:18 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 09:33:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 02:22:
Says the guy worried about his Obama care. I mean, you're retired, right? You don't have 30m day for exercise?
I am and I do, I still don't want to excercise. *shrug*

Listen, I am not advocating against exercise. I acknowledge in general it is good for you. It can improve your quality of life and lengthen it. Lengthening my life is not something I am particularly worried about. I'm likely to live another 15-20 years at least and that's plenty. As for quality of life, I have no quality of life issue which would be resolved through regular exercise.

My worries about getting access to healthcare has more to do with dealing with acute issues rather than chronic ones. Hence why I've been to the doctor essentially twice in the last 34 years. The reason I went this most recent time was to get an evaluation of the Dupuytren's contracture in my left hand. I didn't want to wait to see someone until after my fingers started to curl only to have a surgeon tell me, "Well, if you had come to us 2 years ago we could have down something".
I dunno, an annual checkup can catch a lot of things that way. Esp now that you're older, you really should be going. My cancer got caught at my checkup 15 years ago. The surgeon told me that if it had gone a couple more weeks it would have been inoperable.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2019, 09:33 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 02:22:
Says the guy worried about his Obama care. I mean, you're retired, right? You don't have 30m day for exercise?
I am and I do, I still don't want to excercise. *shrug*

Listen, I am not advocating against exercise. I acknowledge in general it is good for you. It can improve your quality of life and lengthen it. Lengthening my life is not something I am particularly worried about. I'm likely to live another 15-20 years at least and that's plenty. As for quality of life, I have no quality of life issue which would be resolved through regular exercise.

My worries about getting access to healthcare has more to do with dealing with acute issues rather than chronic ones. Hence why I've been to the doctor essentially twice in the last 34 years. The reason I went this most recent time was to get an evaluation of the Dupuytren's contracture in my left hand. I didn't want to wait to see someone until after my fingers started to curl only to have a surgeon tell me, "Well, if you had come to us 2 years ago we could have down something".

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2019, 09:46.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2019, 02:28 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 06:09:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 15:47:
Well, yeah, if everyone would sleep 8 hours a night, eat healthy, and exercise, we'd need a lot fewer of these.

I assume you mean 8 hours of contiguous, unbroken sleep? If so...bless your heart.

I would murder a child for half of that*.

*Well, not actually murder. Slightly inconvenience perhaps.

Ambien washed down with a couple shots of vodka should get you there.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2019, 02:25 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 03:05:
Also, I knew it was a Netflix show, but did they put it in theaters? Nothing was showing locally for me.

Besides the fact that I have a crappy TV?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2019, 02:22 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 23:01:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 22:19:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 20:08:
Well, yeah, if everyone would sleep 8 hours a night, eat healthy, and exercise, we'd need a lot fewer of these.
One out of three ain't bad?
Better start saving for that operation. Even covered at 90%, you'll end up paying $10-15K.
Thinking about it I might give myself two out of three, I eat reasonably most of the time. But yeah, regular exercise just isn't going to happen. I actually went to the doctor for the second time in the last 34 years recently and all my blood tests came back just fine. The blood pressure is pushing up against the limits, especially since they lowered the standards. I'll probably have to go on an ACE inhibitor soon, but that isn't terribly uncommon at my age even if you aren't overweight. And of course, I'm not particularly worried about it, as I've said previously I'd have no significant regrets if I dropped dead tomorrow. "Que será, será".

25. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 09:35 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 22:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 19:44:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 19:31:
Haven't heard of it. Where'd you see it, theaters or online? That cast looks amazing.
A movie about politics. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Don't forget The Crown season 4 is out, for a modern take.

Actually, I've been meaning to watch The Crown during my treadmill runs. Does it have much nudity? Don't want an HR violation.
Rarely does it have nudity. https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/the-crown/user-reviews/adult

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2019, 09:31 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 20:50:
The King
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7984766/
Box Office
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $120,780

Production Companies
Netflix
Plan B Entertainment
Porchlight Films
Blue-Tongue Films
Pioneer Stilking Films
Yoki

More redeeming than the last season of HBO's "tits and dragons."

Yes, but who knew that Westeros whores went full Brazilian? The cultural significance of it boggles the mind...

It had a limited theatrical release.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2019, 06:09 Burrito of Peace

I assume you mean 8 hours of contiguous, unbroken sleep? If so...bless your heart.

I would murder a child for half of that*.

*Well, not actually murder. Slightly inconvenience perhaps.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2019, 04:13 Hoop

Redwood wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 17:14:
I loved both L4D games, and played for hours with friends. Half-Life 2 is still amazing as well. I'll settle for a L4D3 confirmed at this point.

Agreed, & yes co-op-ed the living dead out of both.
I'm just gonna throw this out there but for me in a weird way Wolfenstein TLC has become the surrogate to a Half life 3 no show.
Single man in suit vs tyranny.
A disturbingly dark, beautifully polished sprawling single player production.
A truly incredible Single player experience.
And call me crazy but in a lot of ways Doom 2016 fulfilled much of what I one day hoped from a hyper realistic take on the original Unreal.

Um .. Behind you...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2019, 03:26 MattyC

The King was perfectly OK IMO. Not great, but not at all bad either.

Pattinson's French accent is all over the place though. Dropping in and out was actually more distracting to me than if they had just let him straight butcher it. If you have some time to kill on a lazy weekend you, could do a lot worse.

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2019, 03:05 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 02:57 Kxmode

Haven't heard of it. Where'd you see it, theaters or online? That cast looks amazing.

As I stated before, it's a modern retelling of Shakespeare's Henry V. If you've only seen the plays or films, then you know they tend to be confusing given the archaic language. This one modernizes Shakespeare's most famous tale.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2019, 00:30 1badmf

The King
Box Office

Production Companies
Netflix
Plan B Entertainment
Porchlight Films
Blue-Tongue Films
Pioneer Stilking Films
Yoki

Yes, but who knew that Westeros whores went full Brazilian? The cultural significance of it boggles the mind...

from what i've heard it's not better than shakespeare's original. which isn't surprising considering Henry V is one of the great macho stories of all time.
the 1989 branagh is good, but my personal fave is the tom hiddlestone adaptation from a few years ago. still, there's a YT compilation of sick burns from rob pattinson's dauphin and it was rather amusing. i might watch it just for that =D

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2019, 23:01 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 22:19:
Better start saving for that operation. Even covered at 90%, you'll end up paying $10-15K.
Thinking about it I might give myself two out of three, I eat reasonably most of the time. But yeah, regular exercise just isn't going to happen. I actually went to the doctor for the second time in the last 34 years recently and all my blood tests came back just fine. The blood pressure is pushing up against the limits, especially since they lowered the standards. I'll probably have to go on an ACE inhibitor soon, but that isn't terribly uncommon at my age even if you aren't overweight. And of course, I'm not particularly worried about it, as I've said previously I'd have no significant regrets if I dropped dead tomorrow. "Que será, será".

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2019, 09:24.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2019, 22:21 jdreyer

The King
Box Office

Production Companies
Netflix
Plan B Entertainment
Porchlight Films
Blue-Tongue Films
Pioneer Stilking Films
Yoki

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2019, 22:19 jdreyer

14. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 22:18 jdreyer

Actually, I've been meaning to watch The Crown during my treadmill runs. Does it have much nudity? Don't want an HR violation.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2019, 20:50 RedEye9

The King
Box Office

Production Companies
Netflix
Plan B Entertainment
Porchlight Films
Blue-Tongue Films
Pioneer Stilking Films
Yoki

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >