Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks

Globalnews.ca has details on a lawsuit Epic Games has filed against another beta tester for leaking "highly confidential information" about Fortnite in a story similar to a report from last month (thanks Gamasutra). The suit is against Montreal-based game tester Lucas Johnston. Word is: "The company alleges Johnston violated a non-disclosure agreement and is seeking yet-unspecified damages exceeding $85,000." Here are further details:
The court document claims Johnston took a screenshot of a new playing environment on Aug. 30 while he was working for Keywords Studios in Montreal, which provides user experience testing to game-makers.

Two weeks later, the image ended up on a Fortnite Competitions’ official user forum, more than a month before its scheduled Oct. 15 release.

The company claims the leak “deprived the claimant of the element of surprise,” tipped off its competitors to its strategy and affected its reputation among its peers.

“As the creative projects created by the claimant require a long period of time between the start of their conception and their commercialization, confidentiality is thus, throughout the process, essential in order to offer its users innovative projects at the forefront of the video game technology industry,” the company wrote in the filing.

According to the allegations, which have not been tested in court, an internal investigation by Keywords Studios traced the origins of the leak back to Johnston, who was allegedly seen taking the screenshot on security camera footage.
View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 17, 2019, 08:41 Verno

He broke the confidentality clause in a contract, really shouldn't expect anything different.  

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 18:13 RedEye9

MeanJim wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 18:04:
Just say you're sueing them for breaking the NDA. All the other BS excuses make Epic look like the assholes they are.
Epic had no say on the matter.
The lawsuit was reported by a third party. You have to put more than "he broke an NDA nanny nanny boo boo" in the paperwork when you file a lawsuit.
Do you honestly think Epic cares how it looks when it is defending its IP.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

19. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 18:04 MeanJim

Just say you're sueing them for breaking the NDA. All the other BS excuses make Epic look like the assholes they are.  

MeanJim on Steam

18. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 16:47 FloorPie

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 21:44:
Noice. I hope that flaming dumbfuck gets sentenced to pay AT LEAST the full sum and that Epic will donate the monies to charity for mentally handicapped attention whores.

Twitch thots hardly need more money.

17. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 13:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh, I dislike Epic for so many reasons, but why the fuck would you break a NDA for a mega corporation and not expect to get sued?

16. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 09:49 BicycleRepairMan

Even if Epic takes all his money, they wont notice. The only point epic is trying to make here is "do not break our future NDAs" it's purely preventive warning here.  

15. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 09:38 roguebanshee

Acleacius wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 09:13:
Since they named him he must be over 15, if not it's another epic shitstorm waiting to happen. Giggle
From the excerpt:
while he was working for Keywords Studios in Montreal,
Seems to suggest that we're dealing with someone old enough to actually sign a contract and have it be legally binding, aka. someone who should know better than breaking a signed contract for some silly points on an internet forum.

14. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 09:13 Acleacius

Since they named him he must be over 15, if not it's another epic shitstorm waiting to happen. Giggle  

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 08:17 Beamer

You guys do realize they'll settle, right? For far less?

You can't open with what you expect to get. Otherwise they'll expect to settle for less, and you'll be forced to trial

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 08:10 aka_STEVE

I don't like EPIC either , but this cheesehead knew it was wrong and he should pay in some way.
Maybe not $ 85,000 worth of paying but people need to learn that the real world has real consequences for breaking your word & the law.

11. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 03:45 Luke

Incoming whining video........  

10. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 03:44 Bhruic

I knew Epic would have to look for another revenue stream to fund buying exclusives for their store, but I didn't think this is the route they would take.  

9. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 01:48 Dash

Kxmode wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 22:59:

Would you two kindly share your thoughts without the rampant colorful metaphors?

But the color makes it amusing!

Should the beta tester get in trouble? Yeah. He broke a signed agreement.
Should they be seeking that much? No. 85k is excessive. Ludicrously so.

If anything, I'd say 10K, and a permanent ban. No more beta testing for a good long while, so find a job doing something else. No access to any Epic Online stuff. Just full persona non grata, maybe even from the industry.

8. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 00:55 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 22:59:
Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 21:05:
You're an idiot if you support Epic. Probably the same assholes who still support Blizzard no doubt.

I hope that flaming dumbfuck gets sentenced to pay ... Epic will donate the monies to charity for mentally handicapped attention whores.

Would you two kindly share your thoughts without the rampant colorful metaphors?

"Flaming?"

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 12, 2019, 22:59 Kxmode

You're an idiot if you support Epic. Probably the same assholes who still support Blizzard no doubt.

I hope that flaming dumbfuck gets sentenced to pay ... Epic will donate the monies to charity for mentally handicapped attention whores.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 12, 2019, 21:44 CJ_Parker

Noice. I hope that flaming dumbfuck gets sentenced to pay AT LEAST the full sum and that Epic will donate the monies to charity for mentally handicapped attention whores.  

5. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 12, 2019, 21:14 Rilcon

So anti-consumer exclusives first, now wafflestomping for 100 grand for taking a screenshot. Great way to win over consumers. You're an idiot if you support Epic. Probably the same assholes who still support Blizzard no doubt.
I, too, support flagrantly breaking clear-cut, explicit, signed contracts for the sake of reddit gold.

4. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 12, 2019, 21:05 Cutter

So anti-consumer exclusives first, now wafflestomping for 100 grand for taking a screenshot. Great way to win over consumers. You're an idiot if you support Epic. Probably the same assholes who still support Blizzard no doubt.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

3. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 12, 2019, 20:21 GothicWizard

You fought the law and the law won. shrug

Don't be an idiot next time and break a NDA in FRONT OF A SECURITY CAMERA.

facepalm

He got what he deserved both in a legal sense in a Darwin sense for being a moron.

2. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 12, 2019, 19:59 RedEye9

So breaking a non-disclosure agreement has consequences. whodathunkit  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >