Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I thought I hit the lucky number here, but it turns out I was mistaken. I realized the notice that appears below this space was out of date in saying "Over 1.1 billion visitors since 1997." Before updating this I double-checked our hidden visitor counter to make sure I was correct. You may not be aware this sits at the bottom of the main page here, as the text color matches the background, so you need to highlight it to view it. As shown in this screenshot, I managed to hit the lucky number right on the head, as I was visitor number 123456789! I thought President Skroob would be so proud. I mean, what are the chances? As it turns out, the chances were 100%, because the counter was disabled as part of the updates here, so anyone who checked this lately would see the same thing. As if he doesn't already have enough on his plate with our responsive redesign, I've pestered Frans about this, so hopefully this can be figured out. Now I have to shoot for being visitor 234567890.

Consecutive Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Snow cancels over 1,200 Chicago flights; temperatures to plunge in Midwest, South, Northeast.
A Prisoner Who Briefly Died Argues That He’s Served His Life Sentence. Thanks Boing Boing.
"Rin Tin Tin" Revived As 'Canine John Wick.' Goes on a revenge spree after his master is killed?
Science: There’s Growing Evidence That the Universe Is Connected by Giant Structures.
Can Empathic Concern Actually Increase Political Polarization? Thanks Max.
A natural biomolecule has been measured acting like a quantum wave for the first time. Thanks Max.
Media: Expert Jenga mastery.
Neutron Stars, Almost As Extreme As Black Holes.
I Was the Fastest Girl in America, Until I Joined Nike.
Follow-up: Boeing says 737 MAX should resume commercial flights in January; shares jump.
Baby Fish Feast on Microplastics, and Then Get Eaten.
Alex Trebek gets choked up following 'Jeopardy!' contestant’s answer.
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Re: Boeing says 737 MAX should resume commercial flights in January; shares jump Nov 13, 2019, 12:29 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 12:12:
If that's true then explain these articles.
I'd be willing to bet money a very large portion of the people who when surveyed said they wouldn't fly on a 737 Max, wouldn't be able to tell you what the last plane they flew on was. The story draws interest, which is all the paper/website is interested in. I'll grant I could be wrong, maybe there will be a sustained public dislike of a specific aircraft, but I doubt it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Re: Boeing says 737 MAX should resume commercial flights in January; shares jump Nov 13, 2019, 12:18 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 12:12:
Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 11:47:
Most people will simply book the cheapest flight with the most convenient times. I doubt a significant number ever know who manufactured the plane they're on, let alone the model. And, even then, most don't know at the time of booking and only figure it out when they get on the plane.

If that's true then explain these articles. The general public may not know the details, most don't, I don't, but you can be sure that "737 MAX" is at the forefront of everyone's minds when they book their flights, and for many they may be willing to go out of their way to find out what type of plane they're boarding. In the article above, it stated that "United Airlines and Southwest Airlines have promised to let passengers who are scheduled to fly in a 737 Max rebook to another plane — without paying a fee — if they feel unsafe in the 737 Max." They will book to another plane without hesitation.

Speculation and survey. I'm telling you, most people won't look. The airline industry is wholly commodetized, even if it isn't fair, which is why so many things that used to be included are now upcharges - because consumers generally shop exclusively on the price on the comparison sites, creating a race to the bottom.

Even if 40% would pay more, within a year that'll be 1%.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Boeing says 737 MAX should resume commercial flights in January; shares jump Nov 13, 2019, 12:12 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 11:47:
Most people will simply book the cheapest flight with the most convenient times. I doubt a significant number ever know who manufactured the plane they're on, let alone the model. And, even then, most don't know at the time of booking and only figure it out when they get on the plane.

If that's true then explain these articles. The general public may not know the details, most don't, I don't, but you can be sure that "737 MAX" is at the forefront of everyone's minds when they book their flights, and for many they may be willing to go out of their way to find out what type of plane they're boarding. In the article above, it stated that "United Airlines and Southwest Airlines have promised to let passengers who are scheduled to fly in a 737 Max rebook to another plane — without paying a fee — if they feel unsafe in the 737 Max." They will book to another plane without hesitation.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 12:05 JoeNapalm

Nobody posted this?:

Dog Wick

-Jn-

24. Re: Boeing says 737 MAX should resume commercial flights in January; shares jump Nov 13, 2019, 11:47 Beamer

If there's a 737 Max flight at the right time, from the right airport, either cheaper than, better timed, or more convenient, than any other flight, I still think most consumers will pick it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Boeing says 737 MAX should resume commercial flights in January; shares jump Nov 13, 2019, 11:22 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 11:15:
Nobody is going to want to fly on those planes! I know I won't.
I won't either. Then again, my statement carries little weight when you consider the likelihood I will ever fly again at all is extremely low.

However, the general public won't care for the most part. Here is my prediction: Less than a year after the 737 Max is cleared to fly, all the US carriers owning the planes will have them all in use again and flyers refusing to get on them will be somewhere between few to none.

22. Re: Boeing says 737 MAX should resume commercial flights in January; shares jump Nov 13, 2019, 11:15 Kxmode

Nobody is going to want to fly on those planes! I know I won't.

Boeing! I'm not your beta tester!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 07:44 Kxmode

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 02:26 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 14:15:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 13:30:

As a distance runner, I can tell you that at some point in your training it becomes all about weight. You've done all your interval work, pace work, hill work, long runs, and recovery runs at the correct cadence, and you've maxed out your improvements. You're staying away from junk food (mostly) and eating the correct ratio of carbs to protein. And you're sleeping properly. After that, where is there left to go? I've lost 10 pounds in the past 4 months, and my critical power where i reach lactate threshold has increased from 275 to 304 watts. My VO2 max has also improved. So I see where Alberto is coming from, even if his shaming methods were absolutely wrong.

That said, it's unconscionable and dangerous to run the elite running program in the country without a sports psychologist or nutritionist. And you're coaching women with no female runners on staff? Also, recommending runners use banned substances? There's a reason this guy is banned from running and the Nike project was shut down.

You know you're worth extra points if you have blinking lights on while you're running right?

300 watts powers a lot of Christmas lights!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 02:15 jdreyer

As if you needed more reasons to hate Apple:

Apple Sells Out Pro-Democracy Protesters in Hong Kong to Appease Chinese Government

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 22:17 Simon Says

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 12:41:
First episode of The Mandalorian was good, IMO. Definitely feels like a western.

It was surprisingly good so far, but I have to disagree on the "western feel". I can't stand westerns and anything even close to western'ish, even western'ish sci-fi, like that firefly serie I never could get into and never could understand how anyone could get into, yet I actually like this so far.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 17:04 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 12:54:
First episode of The Mandalorian was good, IMO. Definitely feels like a western.
Good deal. I'll put that on my watch list.
I've been enjoying Watchmen.

I watched the first episode of Watchmen, it was great, but I decided to wait until it finishes before watching the rest, since it's apparently just going to be a one season deal.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 17:03 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 16:35:
How lean can you get before it starts impeding performance?
Don't know the answer to your question, but I'd have to say if you are setting records you probably shouldn't worry too much about getting leaner...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 16:35 Cutter

As a distance runner, I can tell you that at some point in your training it becomes all about weight. You've done all your interval work, pace work, hill work, long runs, and recovery runs at the correct cadence, and you've maxed out your improvements. You're staying away from junk food (mostly) and eating the correct ratio of carbs to protein. And you're sleeping properly. After that, where is there left to go? I've lost 10 pounds in the past 4 months, and my critical power where i reach lactate threshold has increased from 275 to 304 watts. My VO2 max has also improved. So I see where Alberto is coming from, even if his shaming methods were absolutely wrong.

That said, it's unconscionable and dangerous to run the elite running program in the country without a sports psychologist or nutritionist. And you're coaching women with no female runners on staff? Also, recommending runners use banned substances? There's a reason this guy is banned from running and the Nike project was shut down.

Yeah, even the Army learned ages ago that positive reinforcement works far better than negative reinforcement. Where's the Goldilocks weight though? How lean can you get before it starts impeding performance? I don't ever recall my broshack talking about weight when he was at U of Oregon - on a track scholarship for running - but I imagine you're right - unless this wasn't really a thing in sports science 30 odd years ago. I remember weight reduction is what drove Bowerman to create the Nike running shoe. Huh,I'll have to ask him about that.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 16:09 Cyanotetyphas

Streaming ruined me, I can't watch these shows once a week anymore. Waiting til the finales have dropped over here  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 14:32 RedEye9

Holy Shit, that nike video documentary was horrifying. Alberto and his cohorts should have received jail time.  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 14:15 The Half Elf

You know you're worth extra points if you have blinking lights on while you're running right?

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 13:30 jdreyer

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 13:21 jdreyer

Snow cancels over 1,200 Chicago flights; temperatures to plunge in Midwest, South, Northeast.

Dreyerdaughter was out on the east coast visiting colleges, had her return flight through O'Hare canceled. We're trying to rebook.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 12:54 RedEye9

Good deal. I'll put that on my watch list.
I've been enjoying Watchmen.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >