Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Diablo IV Leak Revisited

DSOGaming turns their attention to a post on Reddit from a few months ago with alleged Diablo IV leaks. This shared a bunch of details that were proven accurate by recent announcement of Blizzard's action/RPG sequel. This prompts an examination of unannounced features mentioned in the post in light of its increased credibility. Here are some of the leaks from the Reddit post that are yet to be confirmed or denied:

• Diablo II Remake/Remaster was planned, but they later realized that it would be much better to give the franchise a complete reset and put majority of the fans requests into 1 giant package.
  • The world of Sanctuary is MUCH MUCH MUCH larger than before due to the game going the MMO route. The space is necessary to accommodate the players.
  • A server will hold around 100 or so people at a time as of now.
  • You can trade items in the game with other players such as gold, basic crafting materials (special crafting materials are soulbound and cannot be sold) and any kind of loot ranging from grey quality and all the way up to rare yellows. Blizzard is not sure yet what to do with Legendary items/weapons yet and if they should be tradeable or not as far as the game's economy goes due to competitive fairness and end-game systems that have a lot of functionalities with the legendary loot.
  • Paladin, Barbarian, Sorcerer, Amazon and Druid are planned for launch with more coming later. Blizzard wants people to feel like this is Diablo II all over again but in a completely new era of the franchise. Blizzard were also debating whether to include the Druid or Necromancer class at launch of Diablo IV. Blizzard decided put the Druid for launch of Diablo IV and Necromancer for later, since the Necromancer was released already for Diablo III.
  • Diablo IV will be the new era for Diablo and will be a game as a service. New free content patches will come out that will add quality of life changes, new additions, items and so on. Paid expansions are also possible, but right now its still undecided and Blizzard won't know until the game is launched and until they see if its successful or not. They do not want to announce anything that's regarding to paid content until they are 100% sure of their plans and what they will be adding next post-launch.
  • Right now the goal is to get the game ready playable demo for Blizzcon's 2019 and of course all the marketing material as well. After that, it will be preparing for the beta in 2020 and then the release.
  • Release is being debated between late 2020 or early 2021 depending on how things go, but as of now it seems early 2021 is more likely. Will be coming to PC PlayStation 5 and Project Scarlett.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 15, 2019, 07:43 KS

"Blizzard also decided at the last moment to remove the Brute-o-$$$ class, which intimidated opponents by threatening to teleport them to a reeducation camp, and was a pet class that dangled wealth in front of monsters to gain control. No reason was given."  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 13, 2019, 21:53 jdreyer

OpticNerve wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 04:07:
I don't really have any issue with Diablo IV being online-only tbh. The only Diablo game that I had decent fun via SP was Diablo 1 but that was because it was a new game experience for me. And once I got into MP, there was no going back. If I wanted a hefty offline SP RPG, there are much, MUCH better suited RPGs than the (honestly shallow) Diablo franchise. I enjoy the Diablo franchise because of MP co-op fun with friends.

Right now what I'm worried about with Diablo IV is the MTX store and when the devs said that you could run across other players and they might have killed mobs ahead of you.

I don't know in what fantasy world where that's a bullet-point to brag about and this is something that could be a big damper on what the Diablo franchise boils down to: Killing big hordes of monsters and getting a lot of awesome loot. If you're trying to kill monsters but instead you're trudging through empty fields of corpses because a level 99 "JonWik1103" is zooming ahead of you and killing everything - then that's not fun and ruins what I would assume is what most people enjoy about the series.
I'm gonna make JonWik1103 my new username.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

32. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 12, 2019, 14:31 Kxmode

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 08:13:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 20:57:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 20:50:
Blizzard just doesn't have that "magic touch" to me anymore. It's kinda like Pixar. When you have to pump out squeals to everything ya loose what made it awesome in the first place.

J. Allen Brack is a career-minded, no-vision, corporate stooge. Classic wasn't even his decision. It was one of Mike's last major decision before his departure. If it were up to JAB, his infamous "you think you do, but you don't" would still be Blizzard's official response to fans wanting vanilla/classic WOW. They should've never put him in charge of Blizzard. I think &#8206;Jeff Kaplan would've been a MUCH better person. He's strikes me as a guy who doesn't crave power, but wants to make the best game possible. That's the kind of leader Blizzard needs.

To Blizzards defense, they gave people exactly what they wanted.

That's not the point my post. The point is Mike Morhaime is the one who decided to commit resources to Classic, not JAB. And he likely did it because of his memories with it plus he saw how successful and profitable it could be.

But what people don't remember is that the "big thing" before WoW was Everquest. So going from EQ to WoW was a huge difference, and over 15 years of Blizzard refining WoW, WoW Classic fucking sucks.

I didn't played EverQuest. I played Asheron's Call. Going to WOW from Asheron's Call was refreshing. The biggest improvement in my book was not loosing items at death. That was one of the things I hated about AC. The second were the factions. Never saw a game where you could play the "good guys" or the "bad guys."

As someone who was drawn back into WoW Classic by friends I freely admit that the memory of WoW at launch was much better then the actual reality of it.

It was and is the same for me. The only thing that angers me is the mindset of players today. Back then, it was about having random fun. Today it's feels very "corporate." Groups are more concerned with raiding. They require commitment from people and engage in a kind of interview process.

I played WOW to hopefully experience the epic world pvp battles of SS/TM and Crossroads, and while I saw it during beta I have yet to see it happen in live. I have NO desire to raid (I NEVER liked the Guild drama and told myself I would not deal with it in Classic). So there's really nothing in Classic WOW for me to do. I have my sub going, but I'm playing other games.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

31. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 12, 2019, 11:40 PropheT

Brazor wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 02:42:
They make it too much like D2 and one group complains.
They make it too different from D2 and another group complains.
They try to find a middle ground and both still complain.

It's early still. We'll see what happens.

People always complain here. This is the most curmudgeon filled gaming forum on the internet to the point that the regulars drive everyone else away.

The game's not Diablo 2; it's also not Diablo 3. It feels like something new and different when playing it, but it's familiar enough that you can just pick it up and start playing it if you've played any game like it before. It has more of the build characteristics and pacing of Diablo 2, but the combat feels much more fluid and dynamic like Diablo 3's. From what I played of it, anyone who has any interest in these kinds of games at all will enjoy it, it's outstanding.

Jonjonz wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 06:40:
Fallout 76 anyone?

* assume a single player game's IP
* make it online only
* make it open world multiplayer
* add a trading system
* add micro-transactions that will make trading moot

Most of these things have always been part of the Diablo games. Diablo has never been a strictly single player series, you could play multiplayer (and only MP if you chose) since the first one; they just went online-only with Diablo 3. I know that might not work for everyone, especially people in shitty connection rural areas, but most people didn't really care.

Diablo IV isn't really open world. I'd compare it to how Destiny does things; the overworld is open and you can run into other people and do events and so on, but as you hit dungeons and so on they're instanced. You can play the entire game by yourself if you want, or with a group of friends if you have them. I didn't play much PoE, but it seemed pretty similar to how things are there. I only ran into one other person when I played Diablo IV, and we killed a couple of groups of mobs together and then went our separate ways. I did the rest alone.

Trading is there because players demand it, same as PvP. Trading was also a thing as long as the series has been around, although the Diablo 3 system had some serious design issues with its initial release.

Microtransactions are pretty normal these days, so it's hard to be too upset without seeing what they are first. If it's something like adding a new class down the road, like the Necromancer in D3, that was worthwhile stuff. Characters are very customizable in Diablo IV, so it's probably going to be cosmetic stuff in that regard, or special mounts or something. Each class had multiple options on how they looked even in the Blizzcon demo, not just male/female like in D3 but different appearances as well (Sorceress didn't have a male option yet, just 2 different looks).

Diablo IV feels a lot more like Diablo 2 in most respects. It feels more like Diablo 1 in some places, even, especially when you're delving underground. Its combat is much more modern, like Diablo 3's, but the pacing has the older games' feel. The addition of the space bar to dodge move is great (maybe not new to D3 console players, but it's all platforms in 4) All considered, it's really it's own game and feels like it; it's not a remake, or re-imagining, or any of the other misconceptions I've seen around since it was announced.

2021 seems pretty possible from what I played. It felt a lot more complete than I expected it to, and the demo wasn't anywhere near as constrained as I expected. They didn't announce PS5 or Scarlett (I'm sure they will) but it is on XB1 and PS4; 2021 seems more likely just because if it was 2022 I feel like they'd have just focused on the new gen consoles rather than the current ones. We'll see, though, I guess.

30. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 12, 2019, 08:13 The Half Elf

Kxmode wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 20:57:
Blizzard just doesn't have that "magic touch" to me anymore. It's kinda like Pixar. When you have to pump out squeals to everything ya loose what made it awesome in the first place.

J. Allen Brack is a career-minded, no-vision, corporate stooge. Classic wasn't even his decision. It was one of Mike's last major decision before his departure. If it were up to JAB, his infamous "you think you do, but you don't" would still be Blizzard's official response to fans wanting vanilla/classic WOW. They should've never put him in charge of Blizzard. I think &#8206;Jeff Kaplan would've been a MUCH better person. He's strikes me as a guy who doesn't crave power, but wants to make the best game possible. That's the kind of leader Blizzard needs.

To Blizzards defense, they gave people exactly what they wanted.
But what people don't remember is that the "big thing" before WoW was Everquest. So going from EQ to WoW was a huge difference, and over 15 years of Blizzard refining WoW, WoW Classic fucking sucks.
As someone who was drawn back into WoW Classic by friends I freely admit that the memory of WoW at launch was much better then the actual reality of it.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

29. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 12, 2019, 07:59 The Half Elf

Jonjonz wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 06:40:
Fallout 76 anyone?

* make it online only
* add a trading system

While your at it, throw a washed out soft focus palette on cause eye candy is so NOT 2019.

I'd rather pay 50 bucks for a DLC that just adds multiplayer to Fallout 4 and allows people to host their own servers.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

28. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 12, 2019, 06:40 Jonjonz

Fallout 76 anyone?

* make it online only
* add a trading system

While your at it, throw a washed out soft focus palette on cause eye candy is so NOT 2019.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

27. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 12, 2019, 04:07 OpticNerve

I don't really have any issue with Diablo IV being online-only tbh. The only Diablo game that I had decent fun via SP was Diablo 1 but that was because it was a new game experience for me. And once I got into MP, there was no going back. If I wanted a hefty offline SP RPG, there are much, MUCH better suited RPGs than the (honestly shallow) Diablo franchise. I enjoy the Diablo franchise because of MP co-op fun with friends.

Right now what I'm worried about with Diablo IV is the MTX store and when the devs said that you could run across other players and they might have killed mobs ahead of you.

I don't know in what fantasy world where that's a bullet-point to brag about and this is something that could be a big damper on what the Diablo franchise boils down to: Killing big hordes of monsters and getting a lot of awesome loot. If you're trying to kill monsters but instead you're trudging through empty fields of corpses because a level 99 "JonWik1103" is zooming ahead of you and killing everything - then that's not fun and ruins what I would assume is what most people enjoy about the series.

26. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 12, 2019, 02:42 Brazor

They make it too much like D2 and one group complains.
They make it too different from D2 and another group complains.
They try to find a middle ground and both still complain.

It's early still. We'll see what happens.

25. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 12, 2019, 02:30 christheshitter

Cram wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 17:22:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 17:04:
phinn wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 16:55:
They're playing it super-safe and are just literally remaking D2

So basically they're giving the people what they wanted and upgrading it after the debacle that was D3 and you're complaining.

They already turned the clusterfuck of a shitfest that was Diablo 3 at release into a somewhat acceptable Diablo 2.1 via all the patches and RoS. They already gave people what "they" wanted.

Diablo 4 could have used a HUGE coat of fresh paint. It is embarrassing for Blizztard how much better and more diverse a game like Grim Dawn is.

You are comparing a game that has been out for over three years with a pre-pre-pre etc Alpha demo made for Blizzcon? Good job man.

You, and I, have no f*cking clue what Diablo 4 will be like at launch, and furthermore what it'll be like after the first expansion. This is a key point, because vanilla D2 was awful, and so was vanilla D3 - both were fixed in their respective expansions after post-expansion patches. Furthermore, I can't think of one game in this genre that was actually in the realm of "amazing" when it launched. I will say this, based on Blizzards previous history with D2 and D3, vanilla D4 probably won't be anything amazeballs and will likely need work. As is tradition in the Diablo franchise since the VERY BEGINNING.

Face palming at all the absolute nonsense, non constructive, criticism.

You are one of reasons why the game industry is in such a state of misery right now. Because you of every AAA game either have Gaming as a service, microtransactions and having loot boxes.

You never played D1 when it first launched. You have no idea how it was at the time why fans of the first two games set them in such a high regard.

24. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 11, 2019, 21:00 CJ_Parker

Xero wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 20:42:
I don't get how some of you responded to my post that D4 is basically D2. No way it's not. You clearly didn't play D2 then and are just going by the fanboy talk that said, oh yeah, it's darker! It's back to D2. No. D2 was NOT MMO based. It did NOT need online only if you wanted to play solo/offline.

Well, if you wanted to participate in any kind of ladder/ranking you needed to create an online B.net character as well as if you MAYBE wanted to play online (coop) later. Because of the hacking and cheating you had to store your character data server-side if you ever wanted to do more with your character than plain solo/offline play.

This is clearly not D2 and if you think so just because it's darker, your kidding yourself. All they did was take the ART back into that darker direction, but the game itself is not going to be anything like D2. THUS why they could have still done the remaster. It would not have cut into their own profits of D4 because people will still buy D4 no matter what. They'll also buy D2 whether it was a preorder bonus or sold stand alone after D4 launch.

If you ever played D2, you would have bought the remaster more than likely whether D4 existed or not (granted you enjoyed D2).

Nah. What they have shown so far looks almost like a carbon copy of Diablo 2. It might as well have been the remaster and, you know what, maybe it actually is, i.e. they just turned their D2 remaster work and concepts into D4. It's possible...
The similarities are clear as day. Same iso perspective, same art style (sans nuances at best), same casual clickfest gameplay, the exact same classes, same monster types, same almost everything...

It would be fucktarded beyond recognition from a business point of view to do a D2 remaster without MTX and without $14.99 class packs while having a Diablo 4 that looks and plays as it does in this footage that we've seen so far. Not gonna happen.They're not gonna compete with themselves or even gonna begin to tempt people to stick with D2 Remastered rather than spend cash in the Diablo 4 store. Just nope.

23. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 11, 2019, 20:57 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 11, 2019, 20:50 The Half Elf

21. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 11, 2019, 20:42 Xero

I don't get how some of you responded to my post that D4 is basically D2. No way it's not. You clearly didn't play D2 then and are just going by the fanboy talk that said, oh yeah, it's darker! It's back to D2. No. D2 was NOT MMO based. It did NOT need online only if you wanted to play solo/offline.

This is clearly not D2 and if you think so just because it's darker, your kidding yourself. All they did was take the ART back into that darker direction, but the game itself is not going to be anything like D2. THUS why they could have still done the remaster. It would not have cut into their own profits of D4 because people will still buy D4 no matter what. They'll also buy D2 whether it was a preorder bonus or sold stand alone after D4 launch.

If you ever played D2, you would have bought the remaster more than likely whether D4 existed or not (granted you enjoyed D2).

I also agree with whoever mentioned D2 and D3 was total sh!tfests at launch. D2 took tons of patches before it became it's "legendary(?)" status. D3 was a mess beyond all hell. A mess to the point of the game director losing his mind and going off. D4 will be the same. Guaranteed you will probably be stuck in a queue trying to get in on launch day. Didn't have that with D2...

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

20. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 11, 2019, 20:09 Verno

It's a heavily instanced MMO at best, you see a small number of players running around in the area and can group up to do public events if you want. You can otherwise safely ignore them and do dungeons by yourself which is the core game experience.

Sounds and looks pretty cool so far. Blizzard has a lot to prove with this one and I think they'll get it right. I just hope they can distance themselves a bit from the samey animations and particle effects from D3, they stood out in the demo and not in a good way.

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office

19. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 11, 2019, 17:57 verybad1

Congrats for all the people that want an MMO, but I don't. I want to be able to get home and sit down not dealing with anyone one else, play relaxed and I don't need a fucking 'service'. I want to buy something and be done, no extra sales here and there, DLC's trying to grab every damn bit of money I have and so on.

If they want a 'service' based game, then I'm going to go to the local dive and have a have a beer or two, some bar food, and maybe try to get laid, which is a more productive method of enjoying myself than paying a service.

Absolutely NOT going to buy D4. Enjoyed the previous games a bit, but they lost me with 'service.'

P*** off Blizzard.

18. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 11, 2019, 17:22 Cram

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 17:04:

So basically they're giving the people what they wanted and upgrading it after the debacle that was D3 and you're complaining.

They already turned the clusterfuck of a shitfest that was Diablo 3 at release into a somewhat acceptable Diablo 2.1 via all the patches and RoS. They already gave people what "they" wanted.

Diablo 4 could have used a HUGE coat of fresh paint. It is embarrassing for Blizztard how much better and more diverse a game like Grim Dawn is.

You are comparing a game that has been out for over three years with a pre-pre-pre etc Alpha demo made for Blizzcon? Good job man.

You, and I, have no f*cking clue what Diablo 4 will be like at launch, and furthermore what it'll be like after the first expansion. This is a key point, because vanilla D2 was awful, and so was vanilla D3 - both were fixed in their respective expansions after post-expansion patches. Furthermore, I can't think of one game in this genre that was actually in the realm of "amazing" when it launched. I will say this, based on Blizzards previous history with D2 and D3, vanilla D4 probably won't be anything amazeballs and will likely need work. As is tradition in the Diablo franchise since the VERY BEGINNING.

Face palming at all the absolute nonsense, non constructive, criticism.

17. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 11, 2019, 17:04 CJ_Parker

16. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 11, 2019, 16:55 phinn

15. Re: Diablo IV Leak Revisited Nov 11, 2019, 16:46 jdreyer

Xero wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 16:30:
If they were smart, they would give D2 remaster with preorders of D4. Allow people who preorder D4 get to dive right into D2 remaster but if you cancel your preorder, they detach the D2 remaster from your account, lol. Something to that nature.
That would require doing something good for gamers. All they have shown so far is that they are only capable of doing things that are good for their bottom line.

Also, Free Hong Kong. Raincloud

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >