Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Today is Veteran's Day here in the U.S., so here's a respectful salute to those who choose service to their country over their personal safety. This falls on the more international occasions of Remembrance Day and Armistice Day, as it's now 101 years since the official conclusion of the first world war. This was dubbed at the time to be "the war to end all wars," a title that sadly turned out to be quite inaccurate. Here's to hopes for a future when such sacrifices are truly no longer necessary.

Thanks again to all of you providing comments on our responsive redesign. A handful of changes are now live, including font-size changes, the removal the ad-space causing forum posts to squash on phones, and other tweaks. This post has the details on the changes, which we figure brings us to Blue's News version 4.01. We are continuing to make tweaks based on your feedback, so please feel free to continue to provide it.

Obituary: Charles Rogers: Former Lions, Spartans WR dies at age 38

Memorable Links: Thanks Ant.
Link: This $3.5 million mansion includes a replica of Bruce Wayne's study and so much more.
Stories: One Million Cannibal Ants Trapped in Soviet Nuclear Bunker Have Escaped. Thanks Reddit.
Navy Submarine, Missing for 75 Years, Is Found Off Okinawa.
Dan Harmon Noncommittal About ‘Community’ Movie, Cast Votes Yes.
Science: New Research Suggests that the Universe is a Sphere and Not Flat After All. Thanks j.c.f.
A 3D printer could soon produce the perfect steak at home.
Hate vegetables? It could be your genes. This has been a lifelong struggle for me.
Media: The Reason Why So Many Ships Are Painted Red Below The Waterline.
Dog Loves Jumping In Leaves. Hudson and Gunnar liked leaf piles too, but not like this. Thanks WarPig.
This Amateur Physicist Built a Fusion Reactor in His Shed.
Follow-up: Bill Murray's "Ghostbusters" Return Confirmed.
View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 08:15  Blue 

Kxmode wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 20:48:
BTW your signature, while a quote from Woody Allen, veers close into "Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated" territory. Just saying...

Yeah, that's not really appropriate. Please change that Cutter?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 20:48 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 19:32:
Can dish it out but can['t take it, eh? So much for the land of the free and the home of the brave.

* Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
* Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
* Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
* Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

Those are the conditions under which post(s) can be removed. It looks like you broke one or all of them. Next time, share your thoughts in a way thay doesn't break the rules. High five!

BTW your signature, while a quote from Woody Allen, veers close into "Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated" territory. Just saying...

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 20:30 Beamer

Can dish it out but can['t take it, eh? So much for the land of the free and the home of the brave.

This is the United News of Blues, not America. But I see how you're confused: you're Cutter.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 20:30 jdreyer

Middlefinger
I didn't read what you wrote before it was removed. Perhaps you would like to rephrase?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 19:32 Cutter

Middlefinger

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 19:09 1badmf

i'm surprised it took someone 75 years to check the primary sources. that should be the first thing you do when you begin a new research project. tldr: the original translation of a japanese bomber hitting a surfaced sub was off by a hundred miles. turns out it was correct - the war record indicated a bomb strike aft of the conning tower and the wreckage had a big hole amidships on the deck.  

16. removed Nov 11, 2019, 18:41 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 11, 2019, 18:54.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 18:14 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 16:22:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 14:03:
Fair winds and following seas to the brave sailors of the USS Grayback.

Video of the USS Grayback resting place from the Lost 52 Project

Yeah, I watched that earlier in the day. It's really haunting especially if you know the story of the Grayback.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 17:46 Hoop

Some of these responses are well done.
It's rare that these kind of arguments are won, just too much at steak.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 16:59 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 15:51:
Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 12:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 11:54:
My idea of a perfect steak probably varies greatly from theirs.
Maybe from yours, but the idealized perfect version of each cut is essentially an industry standard. Your tastes may not fit industry standard exactly, but what a "perfect steak" consists of is pretty universally agreed upon for each cut.

I think he was referring more to the fact that it is 3D printed...

Meh. If it's indistinguishable, why care?
Bring on more wagyu!

-------------

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 16:55 bigspender

Hate vegetables? It could be your genes. This has been a lifelong struggle for m

Nobody likes fresh vegetables because our taste buds have been corrupted by excess salt, fat/oil, and sugar. It's like we've been listening to the radio on 11 all our lives, so if go out into nature we have trouble appreciating the naturals sounds now that we've lost our hearing.

Lucky for us though, taste buds do recover. Go into cronometer, and type in your average day's worth of eating, I guarantee you the salt content will be out over 1500mg. 1500mg is what you would normally get without adding salt to food and if you eat mostly plant foods like grains, and starches that our ancestors did.

After about two or three weeks of eating low salt, low oil, low sugar, you vegetables taste great, and fruit is suddenly as sweet as candy.

Having said that, it also helps to not buy the shitty produce at the supermarket, which has been permeated with the styrofoam fragrance of the containers they have sat in or been frozen in for months on end. Even the vegetables at something like subway are disgusting, they all taste the same, because they are low quality, and have all been sitting in the fridge for days after being cut up -why does the tomato taste as bland as lettuce? WHY? lol. So get the good stuff from a market or proper grocer. Make sure that they smell good. If they don't smell nice, they probably won't taste nice, but hey take a sample taste.

Please don't blame your genes, super tasters actually like vegetables more (after they have fixed their sugar/oil/salt overdose)

If you want to get started on eating more vegetables, the #1 tip is to not eat raw vegetables. Hide your vegetables into cook stews. Mexican chilli's, thai green curry, indian dhal, vegetable goulash, lentil shepherd's pie etc. And use plenty of stock powder / liquid / bullion cubes and SALT!

Then start lowering the amount of stock and salt you use very slowly week by week and you won't even notice. After about a month, all of sudden even fresh foods taste great.

The down side being is that take-away foods like taste way too salty for you, so you're likely never going to want to eat out, which is only a good thing for your health and wallet.

As a former chicken parmigiana connoisseur I have been through this transformation, and it will change your life, and your pants size. (Although your wife might get annoyed that your increased libido )

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 16:22 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 14:03:

Video of the USS Grayback resting place from the Lost 52 Project

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 15:52 jdreyer

It's so much easier to read the stories on the front page on my phone.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 15:51 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 12:33:
Maybe from yours, but the idealized perfect version of each cut is essentially an industry standard. Your tastes may not fit industry standard exactly, but what a "perfect steak" consists of is pretty universally agreed upon for each cut.

I think he was referring more to the fact that it is 3D printed...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 14:16 Kxmode

I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 14:03 Burrito of Peace

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 13:41 Nimh

A deep thanks to those that defended, and those that continue to defend, democracy. More poignant that ever these days.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 13:33 aka_STEVE

Thanks to all the Vets who made it possible for us to sit here on our ass & bitch about videogames.....  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 12:33 Beamer

-------------

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 11:54 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >