Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar

A post on the Shroud of the Avatar Forums has word that Catnip Games has acquired Shroud of the Avatar, Richard Garriott's spiritual successor to Ultima Online. This news is from about a month ago, but we missed it at the time (thanks Jim). The game went free-to-play about a year ago just seven months after its launch. According to the announcement, they are working on regular updates along with the upcoming release of Episode 2 of the MMORPG:
As of October 2019 Austin-based production studio Catnip Games has acquired the operating assets of Portalarium, Inc.; primary of which is Shroud of the Avatar.

Portalarium was co-founded in 2009 by Hall of Fame videogame designer Richard Garriott (aka “Lord British”). Portalarium’s most recent game Shroud of the Avatar has a large global community of players which Catnip Games will continue to develop and expand.

Catnip Games was established by Chris Spears, who served as CTO of Portalarium for over 6 years and was appointed President of Portalarium in 2019.

Commenting about the acquisition, Richard Garriott noted “We’re immensely grateful to the community who has built this game with us. The community’s support and participation remains strong and growing, and Starr and I plan to continue being involved in the community and within the game.”

Starr Long, the executive producer of Shroud of the Avatar, also commented on the acquisition; noting that “Chris has successfully led the design and the team for many years, he is an all-star A player.”

Chris Spears added that “The development team remains with the project, and we plan to continue with the established patterns of regular releases, frequent live broadcasts, community events, release parties, and a development cadence focused on both constantly improving the core game, while also working towards Episode 2.”
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar
Nov 11, 2019, 15:19
Kxmode

Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 11, 2019, 15:19
Nov 11, 2019, 15:19
 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 14:37:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 04:54:
Richard Garriott finally stops making video games. Shroud of the Avatar was supposed to be a spiritual successor to his Ultima games. But it NEVER truly felt like an Ultima game and only had a slight similarity with the last and worst game in the series Ultima IX: Ascension. Say what you will about Chris Roberts, but at least Star Citizen shares a lot of the spirit of Wing Commander and Freelancer, even if development has taken AND STILL IS TAKING a stupid amount of time.

FTFY!

Thanks. You're my hero.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Nov 11, 2019, 14:37
El Pit

Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 11, 2019, 14:37
Nov 11, 2019, 14:37
 El Pit

Kxmode wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 04:54:
Richard Garriott finally stops making video games. Shroud of the Avatar was supposed to be a spiritual successor to his Ultima games. But it NEVER truly felt like an Ultima game and only had a slight similarity with the last and worst game in the series Ultima IX: Ascension. Say what you will about Chris Roberts, but at least Star Citizen shares a lot of the spirit of Wing Commander and Freelancer, even if development has taken AND STILL IS TAKING a stupid amount of time.

FTFY!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Nov 11, 2019, 04:54
Kxmode

Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 11, 2019, 04:54
Nov 11, 2019, 04:54
 Kxmode

Richard Garriott finally stops making video games. Shroud of the Avatar was supposed to be a spiritual successor to his Ultima games. But it NEVER truly felt like an Ultima game and only had a slight similarity with the last and worst game in the series Ultima IX: Ascension. Say what you will about Chris Roberts, but at least Star Citizen shares a lot of the spirit of Wing Commander and Freelancer, even if development has taken a stupid amount of time.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Nov 11, 2019, 00:28
Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 11, 2019, 00:28
Nov 11, 2019, 00:28

Chris Spears is (and always was) the lead dev for Shroud, so it doesn't seem like much is changing except that Garriott wants out and Spears is getting the rights moving forward.

I put up $68 in the kickstarter and this ended up being the biggest disappointment I've ever had on kickstarter. The game was advertised as a spiritual successor to Ultima and what it became is a pathetic continuation of the worst aspects of Ultima Online.

They should have made a game more like Pillars of Eternity, but they were dead set on the first person perspective. That said, they do work on this game like crazy so it's not like it's a complete failure, it just does nothing for me.

Nov 10, 2019, 23:44
Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 10, 2019, 23:44
Nov 10, 2019, 23:44

Yea, I backed this too and sorely regret it. I knew after the first alpha this game was doomed. The Devs spent more time worrying about putting in player housing then fixing and making a good game and it shows big time.

I have no idea why anyone would want to buy this game as catnip did. They wont do a damn thing to fix it it make it any better.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Nov 10, 2019, 23:30
Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 10, 2019, 23:30
Nov 10, 2019, 23:30

wow.. i totally forgot i wasted $$$ on that game lol!

Nov 10, 2019, 17:16
Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 10, 2019, 17:16
Nov 10, 2019, 17:16

Garriott has been a has-been since Ultima 8. As a former NCsoft employee, Tabula Rasa was a very clear indication that the man no longer had what it took to put out a AAA game. The development story of that game was a bright, flashing, neon sign warning of extreme danger about his ability to put out a decent game.

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Nov 10, 2019, 16:56
Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 10, 2019, 16:56
Nov 10, 2019, 16:56

The whole thing seemed pretty half assed from the outset. More like some of the old Origin crew getting together for quick and easy money whether they delivered a good product or not.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Nov 10, 2019, 16:15
Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 10, 2019, 16:15
Nov 10, 2019, 16:15

A truly bizarre effort--I still have no idea what the "game" actually is, although I've downloaded and attempted to "play" a couple of the demo versions--with little luck. I get emails from them regularly, and sometimes follow the links out of sheer curiosity--"dance parties" and "fishing contests" and etc. Stuff about as appealing to me as re-enrolling in kindergarten. "Shroud of the Avatar" seems a particularly apt name--as in "death shroud"...;) Never could find the Avatar, and no semblance to a single-player plot or game. Garriott always was vastly overrated, imo, and apparently he was merely a figurehead used here to raise money. So the President of Portlarium (not Garriott oddly) founds a new company and transfers what assets there may be into his new company, Catnip. The purpose? I considered the original KS up until Garriott said that the game would be produced in five "episodes"--that was enough for me to bail. Did they ever finish the first episode?
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Nov 10, 2019, 15:52
Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 10, 2019, 15:52
Nov 10, 2019, 15:52

It's not like they can make it worse. I backed it on Kickstarter. I'm still bitter about it. I don't back anything anymore because of this failure.

Nov 10, 2019, 14:22
El Pit

Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 10, 2019, 14:22
Nov 10, 2019, 14:22
 El Pit

Headline 2032: Catnip Games Acquires Star Citizen
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Nov 10, 2019, 14:19
Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 10, 2019, 14:19
Nov 10, 2019, 14:19

Wasn't this a KS with still open stuff and with the added bonus that they used KS funds to make a book they didn't give to KS backers?

Edit: yeah it was

Oh wow, googling this is even funnier than I expected, SEC filing fraud, scorned backers, many negative ratings on steam (linking to that made you illegible for refunds) and Richard Garriot apparently doesn't know whether he is CEO or not. Apparently nobody knows.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2019, 14:30.
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older