Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store

With Death Stranding out on consoles today, 505 Games announces the Windows edition of Kojima Productions new action game will debut simultaneously on the Epic Games Store and Steam, and it can already be preordered in anticipation of its launch in the summer. Here's the game's elevator pitch:
Developed by Kojima Productions, Death Stranding is one of the most anticipated projects of the decade. Starring Norman Reedus (The Walking Dead) as Sam Bridges, the game takes place in the near future, where mysterious explosions have rocked the planet, setting off a series of supernatural events known as the Death Stranding. With spectral creatures plaguing the landscape, and the planet on the verge of a mass extinction, it’s up to Sam to journey across the ravaged wasteland to save mankind from impending annihilation.
View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 14, 2019, 10:44 licensedsaucer9

[SC]TherMight wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 20:05:
Never played a single MGS game (and I'm as old as a lot of you so I had the opportunity).

Sounds like you have a pretty big opportunity, then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 12, 2019, 20:12 Sepharo

I am curious about what the game world will be like for very late adopters.
If I play the game year from now will there be ladders and ziplines absolutely everywhere? Will I miss out on barren areas or seeing the world slowly get populated?
Will things eventually expire? Will there be a reset? Can I turn off the additions if I wanted?

35. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 12, 2019, 20:05 [SC]TherMight

licensedsaucer9 wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 04:22:

If one does not love MGS there is probably no reason to be all that interested in DS.
Never played a single MGS game (and I'm as old as a lot of you so I had the opportunity).

I love Death Stranding and find it incredibly addictive and refreshing.

I am 4 "episodes" in out of 14 and I've already seen several deep story moments and several more enduring mini moments that have made an impression on me.
It's more than a delivery game. It evolves and makes you feel less alone and literally enforces doing your part. I find myself spamming "likes" on certain services users have left for me to use that I really appreciated in a desperate time. Which all feeds back into the whole premise of the game.

And like any good game just when you're getting tired of certain mechanics you are rewarded with them getting easier and having to rise to a new challenge.

34. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 12, 2019, 04:22 licensedsaucer9

If one does not love MGS there is probably no reason to be all that interested in DS. I never played MGS on playstation (because I never had playstation) but when I finally came around to playing ground zeroes and later phantom menace I realized how special the games are.

My theory is that one of the reasons so many people love the MGS-games is the unusual attention to detail. So, even if DS surely is a very different game from MGS I hope that the attention to detail will carry it for me.

Absoluely a must buy for me.

33. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 11, 2019, 05:37 Kxmode

I've watch a few Twitch streams of DS, and I see the appeal of the game. The first that got me was a massive sense of community. The game is like a long hiking trail with food boxes where people leave behind food for others only here people place down objects that become available to other players (it's not true multiplayer, but the objects are shareable by all). It is worth noting that the entire United States is one big traversal zone. Not to scale, but large enough that it can take a while between destinations.

So what I observed are players essentially "Paying It Forward" to other players by helping to build a network of things. For example, in the Western Rockies, the Streamer I watched, starting working on a zip line network over a steep mountain. He then connected the final zip line with an existing zip line near the base below. At the building, he found objects left behind by others that he used.

Additionally, I observed some of the story in flashbacks and holographic communications from the base's occupants to the protagonist Sam. While at one compound, the Streamer accepted a courier mission and had to equip himself based on what he could carry. The Streamer chose exo-skeletal legs so that he could take more and better climb. Beyond that, the music of the game is fantastic. When you place objects, you can choose motivational quotes like "you can do it!" or something like, or you can select a song the player hears when they get near. The most popular song was some new age track with the lyrics "Get Out Of My Head," which the Streamer started unconsciously humming/singing (lol).

Finally, the last two things I observed is combat and the void out. Both are strange. Conflict isn't about engaging in combat per se, it's more about defending yourself. It's consist of Sam shaking of tar-zombies (can also use bomb) and shooting at tar monsters. When one of those dies, all die. What's left behind is lots of loot and crystal-like items that I dubbed "crystal corn". It is supposedly quite rare and useful for crafting exceptional items. And the last thing is the void out.

Now, this is STRANGE! There are two types. The first happens when you die (like you did something wrong), and the second is death by BTs (the name of the creatures in the game). In both cases, you'll find yourself in an underwater liquid of sorts. The difference is in the first instance, you follow a "strand" until you reach your body. That reloads your game back to the point before your death. The other caused by BTs will result in a massive crater formed in the landscape. My understanding is this crater wipes out everything in the area, and it gets propagated out to everyone. There's an incentive by everyone not to suffer this kind of death as it creates great difficulty for everyone (all the objects placed are gone and players have to go around the massive crater). It's also much harder to get this death. The devs made it so that if you idle against the BTs it'll happen but it takes awhile... so you really have to put work into causing a void out crater.

All in all, from the couple of hours I spent watching the stream, Death Stranding is a truly unique type of game that has different elements from other games, but combined creates very interesting gameplay. I am definitely going to buy next year. "Get Out Of My Head!" lol

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

32. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 10, 2019, 06:20 SS

This is good news.  

31. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 23:25 Scottish Martial Arts

Alamar wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 11:15:
<Insert Simpsons Principal Out of Touch Meme>

I just don't understand all the hype for this game... Since the first announcement, or maybe even before, because of whoever this Kojima guy is... I've tried to sit through the trailer and some other vid, but I just don't get it...

The hype derives from the fact that this is a Kojima game, so there is a built-in fanbase and automatic press coverage, coupled with the fact that the trailers and other marketing material have been deliberately ambiguous about what the game is. In other words, they've given an air of mystery and intrigue to something that many gamers are already going to be interested in.

As for Kojima himself, he's most well known for the Metal Gear Solid series, although he also worked on a pair of adventure games for 16 and 32-bit CDROM-based consoles. More than nearly any other developer, he brings a very distinctive, idiosyncratic and immediately identifiable style to every game he works on. He's also been very prolifically covered by the gaming press, which has generally treated him as an auteur/rockstar. Is his reputation deserved? Well, his games have all been pretty good, with some being truly outstanding. But he's also entirely capable of going off the rails and getting very self-indulgent. With that in mind, its not surprising that early reaction to Death Stranding has been very polarized.

If you want to check out one of his past games, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater would be the best place to start except for the fact that its really only available on the PS2 and PS3. In lieu of that, Metal Gear Solid 5 is available on PC and is outstanding in terms of gameplay, but be warned that the plot is going to be outlandish and incomprehensible if you haven't played the rest of the series.

30. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 19:37 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 19:09:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 13:54:
Absolutely. Tim Sweeney would be a fool to turn down the game. It's funny how they throw their principles out the window where hype is concerned. What's not funny is their continuing to exclude their customers from games because of their stupid exclusivity "crusade."
In the Darq post, it's clear that Epic needs to manually get games online. It's a business decision, in that case. You only have so many resources. Dedicating resources to a game likely to sell 300 copies, which a small selling indie game on both platforms probably would aspire to on EGS, is a waste of resources and a bad business decision.

Yes, which demonstrates how inept the platform is now. Before the Darq post, we had an idea EGS wasn't up-to-par with the basics. But that post made it clear.

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 19:09:
Were it exclusive, then it would probably sell 10,000+, and is now worth the effort. Were it a AAA game, it would sell 100,000+, and is worth the effort.

Curation is a really stupid way to run a business. It wastes a ton of money and limits what the platform can make, which is why Valve doesn't do it. They put that money towards other things like the Lab and better filters so gamers can find the games they want. Epic should be focusing their exclusivity and curation dollars on a major overhaul to get it on parity with other platforms.

BTW, I bought Tetris Effect on EGS so I'm not hating the platform. I'm saying compared to the others, it sucks. That will change once they get it to a better state, and become a true merit-based competitor to Steam.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

29. Re: Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 19:09 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 13:54:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 13:29:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 02:59:
Red886 wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 02:56:
wait a minute, the reason given for Epic store exclusivity (other than $) was always that there were T&C that prevented the game from being sold elsewhere

so it's was all BS? lol

Yes. That was brought to light by the Darq develop via his Medium post about why he turned down Epic exclusivity deal. The details are found under the headline "Earlier Today."

TL;DR - the Epic rep's quote: "We aren't in a position yet to open [Epic Games Store] up to games that simship." simship means releasing the game simultaneously on different platforms.

They will probably be able to support simship when this goes on sale summer 2020.

Absolutely. Tim Sweeney would be a fool to turn down the game. It's funny how they throw their principles out the window where hype is concerned. What's not funny is their continuing to exclude their customers from games because of their stupid exclusivity "crusade."

Any claim that Epic required exclusivity was a bullshit claim.

In the Darq post, it's clear that Epic needs to manually get games online. It's a business decision, in that case. You only have so many resources. Dedicating resources to a game likely to sell 300 copies, which a small selling indie game on both platforms probably would aspire to on EGS, is a waste of resources and a bad business decision.

Were it exclusive, then it would probably sell 10,000+, and is now worth the effort. Were it a AAA game, it would sell 100,000+, and is worth the effort.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 16:44 Kxmode

Talisorn wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 14:03:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 21:13:
Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 20:00:
Cool. Now we'll see how many people actually will buy games on the EGS rather than Steam, if given the actual choice.

There's also Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam and EGS.

But why would you give money to either, when you can buy it directly from GOG and have the developer benefit? Why would you willingly give money to a "middle man" who is reaping the benefit of others work when you have another option?

Preordered it on both GOG and Steam. GOG so CDPR gets 100% of the sale, and Steam because that's the platform I like to play games on (and CDPR still gets 70%)

If I have a choice between the three I pick Steam first, then GOG, then Origin or Uplay.

27. Re: Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 14:26 RedEye9

Talisorn wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 14:03:
Cool. Now we'll see how many people actually will buy games on the EGS rather than Steam, if given the actual choice.

But why would you give money to either, when you can buy it directly from GOG and have the developer benefit? Why would you willingly give money to a "middle man" who is reaping the benefit of others work when you have another option?
You're not following the DeRailed logic train. If you were you'd reallize that it's ok to give money to anyone except Epic. Hope that clears things up for you.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

26. Re: Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 14:03 Talisorn

25. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 13:54 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 13:29:
wait a minute, the reason given for Epic store exclusivity (other than $) was always that there were T&C that prevented the game from being sold elsewhere

so it's was all BS? lol

Yes. That was brought to light by the Darq develop via his Medium post about why he turned down Epic exclusivity deal. The details are found under the headline "Earlier Today."

TL;DR - the Epic rep's quote: "We aren't in a position yet to open [Epic Games Store] up to games that simship." simship means releasing the game simultaneously on different platforms.

They will probably be able to support simship when this goes on sale summer 2020.

24. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 13:50 Kxmode

I just don't understand all the hype for this game... Since the first announcement, or maybe even before, because of whoever this Kojima guy is... I've tried to sit through the trailer and some other vid, but I just don't get it...

I'm in the same boat. And it's frustrating how it still doesn't explain what it's about. However, that mystery is also intriguing, and I'm not entirely against the premise. Plus, CheatHappens has a trainer that lessens the drudgery parts so the pacing can be good for me.

23. Re: Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 13:29 jdreyer

so it's was all BS? lol

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

22. Re: Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 13:28 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 02:35:
El Pit wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 01:48:
What? Competition because simultanious release?! WHEN HAS COMPETITION EVER BEEN GOOD?! WHEN HAS HAVING A CHOICE EVER BEEN GOOD?! WHEN, I ASK YOU?! Oh my god... This "freedom" and "liberty" stuff is slowly killing economy, democracy, and young, cute rabbits. Especially white rabbits. Don't follow them. It's no good.

Do I still get to tend the rabbits?

No, but we'll let you fry them up in a fricassee. Mmmm, rabbit.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 13:24 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 00:08:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 23:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 22:05:
That's my only must buy in 2020 aside from Cyberpunk.. so I am in.
Buy from Gog.

No! You nucking futs bruh???

Anything other than Steam is el diablo incarnato, pure cancer, STD, itchy penis, you name it.

Buy on Steam, people! Do NOT support anyone other than the STEAM MASTER RACE. Fuck all the heathens! Fuck the heretics! Steam it is! Steam is the alpha and the omega. Steam and only Steam is OUR GOD!!!

Steam is our Church. GabeN is our God.

20. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 11:35 RedEye9

different strokes for different folks

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

19. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 11:15 Alamar

18. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 9, 2019, 04:29 Titus

Yup. "Champion of Developers" Tim Sweeney's 'Epic store exclusive or bust' for small indies seems to be a lot more flexible to bigger devs / publishers he can't so easily extort.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2019, 08:01.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >