Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Op Ed

• Polygon - In 2020, I can no longer abide the 100-hour RPG.
    "I wish more games would follow in Obsidian’s footsteps here, because I’m realizing that I have no more patience left for the 100-plus-hour RPG. Sometimes, a game catches my attention. Perhaps the combat looks excellent, or the protagonist seems cool. And then the hype train begins: 'Hundreds of hours of deep and complex quest content,” the game promises. “An ongoing narrative that requires your constant attention. You’ll collect a party of characters you love like your own family — and choices you make can crop up 40 minutes later to devastate them.'

Every time I hear a game described in this way, I break out into a cold sweat. That’s not exciting! That is a threat."
View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Op Ed Nov 10, 2019, 02:54 eRe4s3r

I am curious what game that author is even talking about. Because from the sizeable list of games I played literally none are talked about like that. Even great RPG's, like Nier; Automata, only take 80 hours to 100% at best. And others like Dragon Age Inquisition barely take 40hours..

Divinity 2 takes 30

And Fallout: NV takes at best 20

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Op Ed Nov 10, 2019, 01:52 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 13:35:
MattyC wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 23:08:
This seems to be a solution in search of a problem...

In unrelated news, did Blue's entire CSS change? Change frightens and confuses me!

I kid, I like the look, but I must have missed any announcement.

Here ya go Matty. Also the top story on the sideboard.

Also, feedback here.

Ah, thanks! Though I no longer see any of the sideboard on mobile. Looks quite good to me so far, but I will post there if I notice anything.

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

60. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2019, 13:35 jdreyer

MattyC wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 23:08:

In unrelated news, did Blue's entire CSS change? Change frightens and confuses me!

Here ya go Matty. Also the top story on the sideboard.

Also, feedback here.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

59. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2019, 13:32 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 23:22:
GothicWizard wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 19:10:
If you don't like CRPGs then don't fucking play CRPGs. It's not that damn difficult. You want a RPG-lite game 100 console games can fill that need of yours. Some of us have more of a attention span then a gold fish and don't need instant gratification.

He's literally saying he loves crpgs and that not having time is a personal problem.

Some of you always feel so attacked.

Beam, if us old codgers had nothing to complain about, life would be meaningless!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

58. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 9, 2019, 12:35 Stormsinger

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 21:58:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 21:32:
Hell for that matter I don't think I ever finished LOTR either, and that has multiple restarts over my life.

That doesn't mean I'm going to stop starting long games and books though.
Bring 'em on, make the first half or so really good too
LOTR books aren't even that long... I just looked and the 50th anniversary edition of all three books is just under 1200 pages. So roughly 400 pages per book. That said, I think the length of a game (or book) is a legitimate consideration during your purchasing decision. Especially if the time you have available for entertainment is limited.
It's not that LotR was long...it's more accurate to say that Tolkien was a pretty poor storyteller. He was great at world-building, but barely capable of writing something readable that was any longer than a short story. Which is a much bigger weakness when you're setting your story in a world unconnected to our own...that requires transferring a lot of background, while keeping the reader engaged.

57. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 9, 2019, 12:28 Stormsinger

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 16:08:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 14:07:
While I admit to some empathy with the point(s) of the author, I also have to admit at finding it to be an odd choice for an OpEd. It's inevitably going to come across as complaining (whiny-style) about game time flatly with that title. I myself find Beamer's interpretation of the entire piece more likely to be the actual intent of the author. I just don't think it's written very well and loses its focus, thus causing varying interpretations of what should be a fairly clearly stated opinion. Nobody writes an editorial to be published and misunderstood. Seems like a waste of time for a person so clearly not in possession of time to waste.

It's just a troll article for clicks. We've seen this exact same op-ed piece written like two dozen times over the past ten years across various sites.
It's not the article's author that's trolling here... That description better fits individuals who didn't read the article but feel like their opinion of it should matter to anyone.

Ignorance, especially when it's intentional and easily corrected, is not something to be proud of.

56. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 9, 2019, 12:23 Stormsinger

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 12:03:
Beamer calling everyone here dumb. Thanks Beamer!
Not everyone, just those who seem to lack the ability to read and understand what someone else writes. So, if the shoe fits...

55. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2019, 11:35 El Pit

I partially understand the opinion of the author of the Polygon article. I myself am also hesitating to start games that I know will take 100+ hrs to be finished as I got older. Especially fantasy rpgs are also getting old for me. Being a completionist (one that mostly refuses to work with game guides) does not help the amount of time to finish a game either. But those are my personal problems with those HUGE games. On the other hand, if this huge open world is well done and immersive, than I do not care anymore when I have started playing. But this is the difference: I do have to start playing and get drawn into the game. When I was younger, the interest was there before starting the game.
Then again, I do look forward to Cyberpunk 2077 because it is NOT fantasy and looks more liken an action rpg with a good story line. Also, the world is not as huge as the Witcher 3 world - this makes me really less afraid to start the game.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

54. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2019, 01:24 Icewind

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 00:41:
Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 16:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 13:21:
I don't like being sorta stuck with a 100+ hour game given my backlog.

All in all, I do understand where the Polygon dude is coming from. Long games can be intimidating and mentally exhausting before you have even started them. Many long games are rarely awesome from start to finish. Gimme a tense, intriguing 20 - 40 hour game over a 100 hour "epic" boring game (that had 40 good hours and 60 yawn hours).

The problem with Outer Worlds is that due to the short time spent with it, you never actually get to the "meat" of the game. You fight the same 4 monster types the entire game, use the same 4 weapons the entire game, and beat a very underwhelming boss and the credits roll.

Look at New Vegas. The main quest can be done in 30 hours, sure, but there are so many side quests that you can triple or even quadruple that time total....and in doing so, you earn tons of unique gear and gain tons of levels that open up dozens of new perks and skills.

Outer Worlds has nothing like that waiting for the player.

53. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2019, 01:19 Icewind

Figured one of the SJW websites would write a "Outer Worlds being only 20 hours long is ok because I'm a casual" article. They've done this countless times.

I did every quest, side quest, companion quest, and faction quest. My time total at the end credits? 31 hours.

I'll never go through it again. Far, far too short.

52. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2019, 00:41 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 16:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 13:21:
I don't like being sorta stuck with a 100+ hour game given my backlog.

Then why did you buy it? Not meant to be an asshole, just a serious question. If you don't like those length of games anymore, and you don't want to be stuck with them, DON'T BUY THEM.

There are tons of games that come out every year that I think I would probably very much enjoy playing, but that I skip because I just know I won't have the time for it, because I am prioritizing A, B, C, and that game would be F or G on that list. So I just don't buy it.

It really doesn't seem to be that difficult a concept.

Well, when I bought the games I did not know that I would have such an insane backlog and that I might not be willing to "get stuck" with a long game. I'm not Nostradamus . The backlog just kinda happened. I have a day 1 Steam account, GOG, uPlay, Origin, B.net ... shit just kept piling up and up and up...

Besides, I actually do play long games and "get stuck" on them sometimes. However, there is always a slight feeling of "pressure" or guilt because of the backlog. If the game is actually really good though then I'm enjoying a long game just fine.

All in all, I do understand where the Polygon dude is coming from. Long games can be intimidating and mentally exhausting before you have even started them. Many long games are rarely awesome from start to finish. Gimme a tense, intriguing 20 - 40 hour game over a 100 hour "epic" boring game (that had 40 good hours and 60 yawn hours).

51. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 23:22 Beamer

GothicWizard wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 19:10:
If you don't like CRPGs then don't fucking play CRPGs. It's not that damn difficult. You want a RPG-lite game 100 console games can fill that need of yours. Some of us have more of a attention span then a gold fish and don't need instant gratification.

He's literally saying he loves crpgs and that not having time is a personal problem.

Some of you always feel so attacked.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 23:08 MattyC

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

49. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 22:16 RedEye9

[Rem]  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

48. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 22:15 RedEye9

Sepharo wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 22:10:
Hell for that matter I don't think I ever finished LOTR either, and that has multiple restarts over my life.

LOTR books aren't even that long... I just looked and the 50th anniversary edition of all three books is just under 1200 pages. So roughly 400 pages per book. That said, I think the length of a game (or book) is a legitimate consideration during your purchasing decision. Especially if the time you have available for entertainment is limited.

I mean that's not to say I haven't finished other books and series.
Dark Tower (including Wind Through the Keyhole) was like a whole era of my life lol
SK's dark tower doesn't hold a candle to Tolkiens LotR and should never be mentioned in the same breath. imho

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

47. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 22:10 Sepharo

I mean that's not to say I haven't finished other books and series.
Dark Tower (including Wind Through the Keyhole) was like a whole era of my life lol

46. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 21:58 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

45. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 21:32 Sepharo

An extra long book can definitely feel that way sometimes.
I never did finish The Winds of War and I started it twice.

44. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 21:18 Drayth

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 20:42:
Six hundred page books take too long to read. I wish more writers would limit themselves to under 100 pages. Every time I see a six hundred page book, I break out into a cold sweat.

touché

43. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 20:42 Mr. Tact

Six hundred page books take too long to read. I wish more writers would limit themselves to under 100 pages. Every time I see a six hundred page book, I break out into a cold sweat.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >