Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free

The Epic Games Store now features this week's Free Game Collection, offering a 100% discount on Nuclear Throne and RUINER. These are each free to keep if you pick them up over the next seven days. As usual, they also reveal next week's free offering, which will be The Messenger. Here's the quick pitch for the new freebies:
Nuclear Throne is a post-apocalyptic roguelike-like top-down shooter. Not 'the final hope of humanity' post-apocalyptic, but 'humanity is extinct and mutants and monsters now roam the world' post-apocalyptic. Fight your way through the wastelands with powerful weaponry, collecting radiation to mutate some new limbs and abilities. All these things and more you could do if only you were good at this game. Can you reach the Nuclear Throne?

RUINER is a brutal action shooter set in the year 2091 in the cyber metropolis Rengkok. A wired psychopath lashes out against a corrupt system to uncover the truth and retrieve his kidnapped brother under the guidance of a secretive hacker friend.
View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 9, 2019, 12:25 HoSpanky

Ruiner now seems to checkpoint partway through those huge fights. The upside is that you can actually make it through. The downside is that there won't be as many weapons lying around at the end to feed the scrapper. So, you'll get less XP and usually won't get a legendary-colored weapon. I haven't gotten completely stuck yet, although there have been a couple of BS fights for sure. The need to aim your shield is ridiculous; enemies teleport around constantly. I gave up on the shield and focused on being able to slow time a LOT, which has helped me succeed through the harder fights.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 8, 2019, 20:05 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 19:44:
Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 11:28:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 10:35:
Both of these games are awesome.

Ruiner is a bit hard at first, but don't get discouraged, it's beautiful!

I hated it. I played it when it first came out, it has great atmosphere, but the absurd checkpointing system completely fucking ruined (heh) it for me. "Here's a battle in a garage against 50 goons. If you die on goon 49 with the rocket launcher, you get to replay the entire battle. And again. And again. And again."

It made Dragon's Lair look forgiving.

It's one of the few games I ever refunded.

Well, yeah. Release day, it was extremely difficult, although winnable. Several patches later, the last time I ran through it at least a year ago, it's much easier. Still, think Hotline Miami style, good reflexes and movement required. It is most certainly NOT an easy game.

I'm a little interested to see/hear what you think of the current version, apparently 1.0 release day Ruiner made quite a few people uninstall and refund.

Ahh, I didn't know they had released patches to make it easier. Maybe I'll give it another go.

12. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 8, 2019, 19:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 11:28:

I hated it. I played it when it first came out, it has great atmosphere, but the absurd checkpointing system completely fucking ruined (heh) it for me. "Here's a battle in a garage against 50 goons. If you die on goon 49 with the rocket launcher, you get to replay the entire battle. And again. And again. And again."

Well, yeah. Release day, it was extremely difficult, although winnable. Several patches later, the last time I ran through it at least a year ago, it's much easier. Still, think Hotline Miami style, good reflexes and movement required. It is most certainly NOT an easy game.

I'm a little interested to see/hear what you think of the current version, apparently 1.0 release day Ruiner made quite a few people uninstall and refund.

11. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 8, 2019, 11:50 Verno

Yeah I'm with you Creston, I love difficult games but Ruiner is just fucking tedious.

Never played Nuclear Throne, I will grab this on the weekend if I remember.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

10. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 8, 2019, 11:28 Creston

9. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 8, 2019, 11:00 Rhett

Anyone interested in Ruiner, I recommend trying Synthetik.  

8. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 8, 2019, 10:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

7. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 8, 2019, 07:33 Burrito of Peace

Also snagged. Ruiner looks like an interesting premise at the very least.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

6. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 8, 2019, 04:04 Luke

Sigh .....  

5. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 7, 2019, 22:57 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 22:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 22:25:
Sadly for the EGS; you can give me all the games you want, but that won't make me pay 60 for a game I can get for much less once it reaches steam.

Or cheaper or free - atm - on the Xbox gamepass. Forgotten Worlds and Metro Exodus goodness for example. If MS keeps this beta going for a while it's going to save me a whole lot of money.

Ruiner? Damn near killed 'er!

Yeah you can't compete with 4 for a month...

4. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 7, 2019, 22:43 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 22:25:
Sadly for the EGS; you can give me all the games you want, but that won't make me pay 60 for a game I can get for much less once it reaches steam.

Or cheaper or free - atm - on the Xbox gamepass. Forgotten Worlds and Metro Exodus goodness for example. If MS keeps this beta going for a while it's going to save me a whole lot of money.

Ruiner? Damn near killed 'er!

3. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 7, 2019, 22:25 eRe4s3r

2. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 7, 2019, 20:48 WannaLogAlready

Yay, snagged them too, heh.

Got some 800 plus games on Steam, but now Ive got 24 games on EGS.

Sure, exclusivity deals irk me, but never got so many gifts before, not summing up the last ten Christmas, snif.

*manly* Mind, Im not bought yet ! ... maybe rented a little ?

Seriously, market economics advantages and consumer enticement et al, this is getting to be a massive benefit, consider me grateful to the EGS.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2019, 21:01.

1. Re: Get Nuclear Throne and RUINER for Free Nov 7, 2019, 20:21 RedEye9

Snagged!  

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >