Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2019, 10:44 Verno

You're always going to run into compatibility problems with any manufacturer, it's not a Ryzen specific thing. And Ryzen only tends to have these issues because AMD actually tries to maintain socket compatibility unlike Intel. It's an edge case scenario that is ignoring the many happy people who are able to build/play without issue. If you send Steve at GN a tweet and tell him about your conclusion here I bet he will try to dissuade you. But hey whatever floats your boat man. If you're going Intel make sure it's a 9900k otherwise don't bother IMO.

Personally I've never liked Gigabyte as a manufacturer for anecdotal reasons regardless of the platform

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2019, 08:44 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 08:25:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 19:14:
I am seriously considering going AMD for my next build however things like this does not make me all confident in getting AMD

Err why? I'm not watching the entire 20+ minute video

In the first 10 minutes he talks about the Ryzen CPU with a Gigabyte mobo would not even start. He switched to different bios versions, swapped to another mobo still no dice until he went to a different brand mobo all together.

Ryzen looks awesome in every aspect but if there are compatibility issues with games I am not sure it is for me. I do pretty much nothing else on my rig but game. I don't stream or photo edit or none of that.

I get it RDR2 is a shit port so I am not judging the Ryzen CPU based on a single game having compatibility issues. It is just something that kinda turns me off buying AMD

Steam: SpectralMeat

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2019, 08:25 Verno

I am seriously considering going AMD for my next build however things like this does not make me all confident in getting AMD

Err why? I'm not watching the entire 20+ minute video but I skipped to the 1440p section and there is like a 3fps difference between most of the CPUs. Unless you're gaming at 1080p at high fps most of the time you're going to be GPU bound, not CPU.

And yeah RDR2 is kind of a terrible port so far, its exhibiting all sorts of problems running on mainstream i5s even.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2019, 08:22 Simon Says

Strange that all the other games run just fine. It's almost as if it was a shitty port problem...

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 19:14 SpectralMeat

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 18:48 Simon Says

Rigs wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 17:54:
I understand the angle you're coming from but I'm not too worried about it, to be totally honest. I do appreciate the advice and different point of view, though. I can pop in something all the way to an i9-9900k in the future, should I so choose.

Compared to the possibility of popping in a cheap second hand 3950x... yeah... Still would've been way better off on AM4 IMHO.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 17:54 Rigs

Simon Says wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 14:59:
Ouch... You're not gonna run that 10 years, not even 5. You would've went a lot farther even with a 2nd gen Ryzen 2600. The 6c/6t CFL chips have been maxed out for a year now while there's still plenty of breathing room on the 6c/12t.
Verno wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 15:38:
Yeah I tend to agree with Simon on this one, you will be lucky to get 5 years out of that, some unfortunate hardware picks there with both CPU and GPU. It's unquestionably an upgrade from your old box but it's not going to give you the same longevity. You would've been better off with a 2070S and an AMD 3600 or 3700X. Or if price was a serious constraint, a used 2070 and a marked down 2600 which are both frequently on sale. If you're still in return window I would seriously consider returning those otherwise you're going to regret it in about 2-3 years. Not trying to poop on your new machine party but just save you some grief down the line.

The SSD and memory are fine obviously.

I understand the angle you're coming from but I'm not too worried about it, to be totally honest. I do appreciate the advice and different point of view, though. I can pop in something all the way to an i9-9900k in the future, should I so choose. I did consider going AMD and truth be told, they have a HUGE array of options when it comes to motherboards, any and everything you could possibly want is available. I was tempted. But I made my choice. Again, I'm not too worried. In the future, if AMD does pull ahead and an AMD system seems like the right thing to do, I can always sell this system and build a new one. I already have my eye on Ampere, if nVidia can get the cost down I might just make another upgrade. The fact of the matter is that I have options. I'm happy with what I have now and I can always change it in the future. It's not like I have a 5+ year old system with NO upgrade path whatsoever...

EDIT: I should clarify that I wasn't looking for another 10 year system when I built this one. In fact, I wasn't looking for one when I built the last one, it just turned out that way. I think things will be much more 'fluid' this time around and I'll have more room to adjust based on what comes out in the next couple years.

=-Rigs-=

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 15:38 Verno

Yeah I tend to agree with Simon on this one, you will be lucky to get 5 years out of that, some unfortunate hardware picks there with both CPU and GPU. It's unquestionably an upgrade from your old box but it's not going to give you the same longevity. You would've been better off with a 2070S and an AMD 3600 or 3700X. Or if price was a serious constraint, a used 2070 and a marked down 2600 which are both frequently on sale. If you're still in return window I would seriously consider returning those otherwise you're going to regret it in about 2-3 years. Not trying to poop on your new machine party but just save you some grief down the line.

The SSD and memory are fine obviously.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 14:59 Simon Says

Rigs wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 14:05:
Now I run a Core i5-9400f

Ouch... You're not gonna run that 10 years, not even 5. You would've went a lot farther even with a 2nd gen Ryzen 2600. The 6c/6t CFL chips have been maxed out for a year now while there's still plenty of breathing room on the 6c/12t.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 14:05 Rigs

I honestly couldn't wait any longer with my system. Given it's specs and age, it's kind of understandable. I was running a first gen Core i5-750, 20gb of DDR3 on a 1156-based Gigabyte P55M-UD2 (a rather popular board it seems, especially with reviewers and labs), first with an AMD HD4870, then an HD5770/1gb, then a GTX1050ti/4gb and at the end a RTX2060/6gb. This thing was my daily driver for TEN YEARS and I never had a problem that wasn't fixed quite quickly. Of course, in the span of ten years, I lost the ability to change anything in the BIOS other than boot order and time/date, the ethernet port just up and died one day resulting in me getting a Ethernet to USB adapter to take it's place and at the end, when building the new system, the fan/heatsink plastic tabs that secure it to the board snapped from being so brittle. Now if I wanted to run it again, I'd either have to get a new fan/heatsink or run it lying flat else the whole thing would come crashing down.

Now I run a Core i5-9400f, on a Z390-based MSI board, an MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC, which in my research was the best board with the most features for the money. My previous system didn't have WIFI or Bluetooth, this has both out of the box and they work great. (Though the antennas for the WIFI in the back get in the way of the USB ports. Someone really didn't think that through too well *shrugs*). I've also got 16gb of 3200mhz DDR4 and the previously mentioned RTX 2060/6gb. I run Win10 off a 256gb Samsung 860EVO SSD along with two 2tb WD BLUE hard drives and another WD BLUE 256gb SSD. Given that the board only has 4 SATA ports, I finally had to retire my Intel X-25M 40gb SSD, that is also ten years old. It just barely squeezed my backup Win7 install on it with a whole 3gigs left free. This board does have RGB but it's pretty minimal, which is fine with me. The case it's currently in is from the early 2000's, all metal, beige. This will change soon but for now it's fine. I always keep the one side panel off for cool air as besides the CPU fan and the PSU, I have no other case fans.

To say there was a difference in how my system and games ran on this is...woefully understated. I really didn't think there would be much of an improvement, to be honest. I was hoping for one, of course, but I didn't expect one. I mean, the video card was the same and while the RAM was a bit faster from the 1600mhz DDR3 I had, the CPU was about the same speed with two more cores. But OH MY GOD, when I turned it on and booted into Win10 in all of seven seconds, I was floored! (Course, Windows had a bit of an 'adjustment' since I didn't reinstall it and at first it refused to boot but I eventually got it working. Pro tip? Don't EVER, EVER, EVER E V E R hit the option in the MSI BIOS that says FAST BOOT! EVER! This turns off detection of SATA, USB, PS2, Serial and Network ports during boot. Granted having the BIOS skip doing that does, indeed, speed up boot times, but then your system HAS NO FUCKING CLUE WHERE THE BOOT DRIVE IS! Who the FUCK came up with this idea?! It took me almost an hour to get that particular problem fixed. (Yes, I had to reset the BIOS but they don't give you a jumper to short it out, so I just popped the battery out for a minute and it reset) NEVER!

Oh wow, that was much more than I intended to write! So, uh, yeah, TL;DR new systems are great, build a new one before the old one starts getting pension checks. Obvious advice is obvious.

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 12:11 SpectralMeat

I am in the same boat, rocking an i5-2500k CPU and GTX 970.
RDR2 is a dog on my system.

Was hoping to upgrade during this upcoming Black Friday, but I may just grab a 1660Ti for now to tie me over until next year when the second gen Ray Tracing video cards come out.
Then upgrade my whole PC

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 12:04 Verno

Ampere is coming in mid-2020, there's been a bunch of certification leaks and rumors. I suspect it will land around June. Still rocking my 1080ti until then and its still kickin ass.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 10:48 Tipsy McStagger

Ugh, I was hoping they would have the 21XX series release date by now. I'd like the next generation please.. been holding off on upgrading this 980Ti for a while, it's the only thing on my system that is the bottleneck.
I was hoping since it was first generation RTX release that they would have rushed it out the door and improved upon it for a quick 1 year turn around on the next series.

i9-9900K, 32 Gigs for ram clocked at 3400, Samsung Evo Pro 1Tb M2, Gigabyte Gaming Pro Z390 and an old first release 980Ti.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >