Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Steam Cloud Gaming Plans?

A tweet from the Steam Database has a details on new code they've spotted in an update to a Steam partner site that suggests Valve may be working on their own cloud gaming service (thanks WCCFTECH). They have posted their findings to GitHub, showing code that includes the following prompt: "'Warning', 'You must agree to the terms in the Steam Cloud Gaming Addendum before continuing.'" This doesn't confirm anything, but it prompts SteamDB to pose the following speculative question: "Could this be a competitor to @GoogleStadia?"
View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 7, 2019, 14:21 Verno

Fair enough, I just intensely dislike phone controls because there is no true tactile feedback so I find it cumbersome, especially considering the small screen size. I think they can work well for TBS like Civilization and whatnot though. But there are just so many genres where I just can't do it

I think iPads and Apple TVs can now pair with the console controllers so that would be a fair middle ground for me.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 7, 2019, 13:53 chickenboo

Verno wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 13:44:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 02:50:
If Steam lets me stream games that I own to my phone, that would be awesome. I would love to be able to play Into the Breach streaming on my phone.

I don't know, phone controls suck and pairing a gamepad with a phone just makes me want the full experience without the smaller screen. But to each his own I guess.

I already stream Into The Breach from my home PC to my phone. The game already has a dedicated touchscreen config (set up by Valve or Subset, I'm not sure), but it's basically set up as a cursor you can move around the screen. The only thing missing would be a dedicated "cancel moves" button. This could easily be added via the touch screen control config button. Also, the game streams really nicely since it's turn-based. All this new service would do is allow you to stream it from their servers rather than your PC at home...

19. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 7, 2019, 13:44 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 02:50:
If Steam lets me stream games that I own to my phone, that would be awesome. I would love to be able to play Into the Breach streaming on my phone.

I don't know, phone controls suck and pairing a gamepad with a phone just makes me want the full experience without the smaller screen. But to each his own I guess.

18. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 7, 2019, 02:50 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 19:37 Drayth

When they can do lossless color compression over streaming then I may consider it an option. Otherwise; nope. I want the content to look the best it can.  

16. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 17:40 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:27:
Anyways I think cloud gaming will be a big deal in the future but the only one? That's what I doubt. I guess we'll see

True

15. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 17:26 FloorPie

aka_STEVE wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 14:51:
STEAM can't even keep their store online , much less fully stream the games to all of it's customers....
Publishers may love this idea & locking it all down , but unless we get a vastly improved national broadband upgrade & power grid - this cloud based gaming will be crap to use/ play on for a long time.
They'll never be able to keep the paying customer base ....

Steam can't even code their new game library UI decently.

14. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 17:23 Slashman

aka_STEVE wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 14:51:
STEAM can't even keep their store online , much less fully stream the games to all of it's customers....
Publishers may love this idea & locking it all down , but unless we get a vastly improved national broadband upgrade & power grid - this cloud based gaming will be crap to use/ play on for a long time.

And not to mention that the folks in the Whitehouse are pushing to downgrade the nation...not upgrade it broadband wise.

13. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 14:51 aka_STEVE

12. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 14:10 El Pit

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:47:
If cloud streaming becomes the only way to game, then I'll be done with gaming. This wet pipe dream of publishers fails to take in to account the hundreds of millions, if not billions, of gamers with shitty or non-existent connections. Still, that is a demographic they have largely written off anyway since disc based games are all but extinct.

Pretty much this. Like music and movies, streaming will be the big player while some products (the VERY big productions and the small independent productions) will cater to the very few "elite gamers". Like CDs and vinyl, DVDs and blu-rays, game downloads (DRM'd to hell and back with time limits and bells and whistles) will still be around in some cases but become rarer and niche.
And games as a service will be turned off when the sequels arrive... I hate it but don't doubt this will be the future. GoG, please stick around for a loooong time, m'kay?

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

11. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 13:50 Cutter

There are tons of people who will never have the bandwith for cloud gaming. There will always be a demand for digital downloads and playing locally. It's going nowhere.

10. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 13:47 Burrito of Peace

If cloud streaming becomes the only way to game, then I'll be done with gaming. This wet pipe dream of publishers fails to take in to account the hundreds of millions, if not billions, of gamers with shitty or non-existent connections. Still, that is a demographic they have largely written off anyway since disc based games are all but extinct.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

9. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 13:27 Verno

I don't doubt they want it but they can only control their own IP thankfully.

Even if the market deadlocks and the publishers colludes, someone will want to compete and differentiate themselves from the others. Just look at how Sony deflated Microsoft's attempts to exert control over the used game space last gen. It was a major marketing point for them and helped propel them over their competitor.

Anyways I think cloud gaming will be a big deal in the future but the only one? That's what I doubt. I guess we'll see

8. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 13:22 El Pit

Verno wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:18:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:08:
It's coming. The day when the gaming industry goes Full Retard, and cloud gaming will be the only way to play anymore. And then most likely on a by-the-hour subscription service.

That day is what I've been hoarding games against.

I really doubt it though. The publishers don't have that kind of market control anymore, there are many AA studios, indies and even some AAA studios who can sell directly on distro services themselves. As long as there is a market for people who want to play their games on their own machines, someone will serve it.

And again there are underlying latency issues that can be really detrimental to some genres, I don't see how those will be solvable in the foreseeable future.

I think something that gives you the ability to both stream AND download if necessary will be more successful. PS Now just started doing this for example.

It will come, Verno. Complete control over contents is a magical bait for the publishers, and they want it. They want it BAD.

7. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 13:18 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:08:
It's coming. The day when the gaming industry goes Full Retard, and cloud gaming will be the only way to play anymore. And then most likely on a by-the-hour subscription service.

I really doubt it though. The publishers don't have that kind of market control anymore, there are many AA studios, indies and even some AAA studios who can sell directly on distro services themselves. As long as there is a market for people who want to play their games on their own machines, someone will serve it.

And again there are underlying latency issues that can be really detrimental to some genres, I don't see how those will be solvable in the foreseeable future.

I think something that gives you the ability to both stream AND download if necessary will be more successful. PS Now just started doing this for example.

6. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 13:11 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 12:34:
There are some genres where it's simply not going to work due to latency issues, bandwidth and usage continue to be concerns and no one has adequately addressed the ownership problems. The best efforts so far have all largely failed to address those concerns

These are only concerns to the customer, though. The publishers don't give a flying fuck about these issues.

While there are still alternatives they can't force this down your throat, but as more and more gaming is shifting to a subscription based service, this is just a small step up in their minds, and once they feel it's "good enough", they'll just switch over to Cloud Only.

5. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 13:08 Creston

4. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 12:46 Beamer

Verno wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 12:34:
I don't really agree cloud gaming is the future, there are significant obstacles to overcome before that's a reality. There are some genres where it's simply not going to work due to latency issues, bandwidth and usage continue to be concerns and no one has adequately addressed the ownership problems. The best efforts so far have all largely failed to address those concerns and fledgling programs like PS Now have had average success. And don't get me started on that mess that is Google Stadia bwhahah.

I think the industry would love it to happen because they could sunset software at will but I don't think consumers will embrace it any time soon. I see programs like Gamepass being more successful due to their flexibility. If Microsoft could marry xCloud, Gamepass and Gold into one program they will likely be the market leader but until then /shrug

But there really won't be an ownership question. For the consumer, at least. For the publisher and service, yes, but to consumers, no.

Look at any similar service, and it's all subscription based. For a while, iTunes and Amazon Music owned digital music, selling songs for $0.99. But that's all gone, with people paying a monthly rate for all access. In digital movies, again Amazon and Apple had early leads, but now it's all Prime and Netflix and Hulu.

Sunsetting isn't really the end-goal. Yes, EA would probably love to shut down Madden 18 when Madden 20 comes out, but when the consumer is forced to pay for the new one, that makes a difference. When you're playing as a service, that really doesn't matter. The primary carrot for EA, more revenue, is gone, but the primary reason people play sports games a season or two old, it being cheap, also goes away.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 12:34 Verno

I don't really agree cloud gaming is the future, there are significant obstacles to overcome before that's a reality. There are some genres where it's simply not going to work due to latency issues, bandwidth and usage continue to be concerns and no one has adequately addressed the ownership problems. The best efforts so far have all largely failed to address those concerns and fledgling programs like PS Now have had average success. And don't get me started on that mess that is Google Stadia bwhahah.

I think the industry would love it to happen because they could sunset software at will but I don't think consumers will embrace it any time soon. I see programs like Gamepass being more successful due to their flexibility. If Microsoft could marry xCloud, Gamepass and Gold into one program they will likely be the market leader but until then /shrug

2. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 11:56 El Pit

Cloud gaming is the future - whether we like it or not. No more probs with different hardware/software configs, no more pirating, and so on. On the other side: most likely highly compressed graphics and audio, meaning lower quality. But nevertheless - it is going to happen and we who have already survived the age of floppy disks will live to see it (most likely, I hope everybody here is at good health).  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >