Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Welcome to the responsive redesign of Blue's News, which brings proper mobile support to the site. This was inspired by a proposal by Kxmode and I cannot thank him enough for him volunteering his expertise and hard work to make this a reality. Likewise, once again I cannot express enough gratitude to Frans, as a lot of the labor for this ended up falling on him, and he did his usual amazing job of pulling the whole project together. Finally, here's a thank you to Ant, JDreyer, and j.c.f. for helping us out by beta testing. Frans made this forum post to explain some of the work that remains before this project is 100% complete and to serve as a repository for feedback and bug reports, so feel free to post there as you see fit.

Mobile Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Play: Autummry.
Links: Blizzard Adds President Xi To 'Overwatch' Roster.
Stories: A man rescued a caged dog that was floating in a freezing lake. Now he wants to adopt her. YOU'RE crying!
A drone helped archaeologists discover a lost Florida island settlement.
Baristas serve coffee naked in New York to advertise new natural creamer.
Science: More than 11,000 scientists issue fresh warning: Earth faces a climate emergency.
Interstellar space even weirder than expected, Voyager 2 reveals. "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space." Thanks David.
Ancient 70-Mile-Long Wall Found in Western Iran. But Who Built It?
Images: Bob Ross couple's costume and other Halloween night surprises in my neighborhood.
Media: Galaxy Quest Documentary - Never Surrender Trailer #2.
When Dad surprises Mum with a Gingerbread room.
I Told My Kids I Ate All Their Halloween Candy. Annual exercise in sadism.
Lunar Module Costume: Lunar Lander and Astronaut.
Follow-up: Emmerich Regrets "Independence Day" Sequel. As do we all.
View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

104. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 22:37 Kosumo

This is awesome.

Long live the Blues

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

103. Re: new design Nov 12, 2019, 03:38  Frans 

subx wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 21:35:
On styles: could the style choice be applied eariler in loading the page? Having set retro black and returning to the site, the blue style remains until the page has finished loading - and because it loads quickly, I get a flash of blue (didn't used to occur).
Yeah, we know and considered it an acceptable compromise. But admittedly, none of us use retro.

In the old layout, one style sheet file defined default colors and another retro, and only one would be loaded. Or sometimes wouldn't be loaded at all, which caused an unstyled site with white background, quite regularly reported by users. Also, maintaining two .css files (or preprocessing with something like Sass) would be more work.

So now the single .css file has a mechanism built in to switch to retro, activated by Javascript based on a cookie. But that takes a little time, hence the blue flash. We don't know of a single .css file solution to avoid this.

-- Frans

102. Beta testing... Nov 10, 2019, 21:26 Ant

You're welcome, Blue and everyone!  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

101. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 17:48  Frans 

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 15:54:
Blue, Frans, why did the q{ }q tags stop indenting the quote? Only the full {quote} {/quote} works now to indent it.
Because I was waiting
for you
to point that out. Took long enough, too.

-- Frans

100. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 15:54 Creston

Blue, Frans, why did the q{ }q tags stop indenting the quote? Only the full {quote} {/quote} works now to indent it.  

99. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 13:08 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 08:58:
Patreon, Patreon, Patreon! Or something like it anyway...

Yes, I'm already donating to two other ancient sites via Patreon and will gladly donate to this one as well. Not looking for ad removal or anything like that myself... just want to give to something I've enjoyed for over 15 years for free.

98. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 08:58 Mr. Tact

Patreon, Patreon, Patreon! Or something like it anyway...  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

97. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 05:30 RedEye9

Frans wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 03:57:
Read carefully...
Ah, reading is job one
"but also be aware that we are working on being able to accommodate the frequent requests for a way to suppress these without being haunted by your conscience (more to come)"

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

96. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 03:57  Frans 

Read carefully...  

-- Frans

95. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 03:35 Kxmode

patience grasshoppers  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

94. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 01:20 jdreyer

Dev wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 21:21:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 01:31:
Staunch wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 18:13:
On a secondary note. I'd love it (and I'm sure some others would) if there was a way to support the site more directly, sans ads. I block advertisements everywhere not because I want sites to die, but because companies that run ad networks can't be trusted to treat people with respect in my opinion.

A login on the site for ad-free viewing would be ideal, but a Patreon or PayPal would also be fine way for those of us that block ads but want to still support the site to do so.

We've been trying to convince Blue to go Patreon for years. Let us know if you have better luck.

I'd gladly do a patreon for a couple/few a month to support the site that I've been visiting and loving for decades.

The idea would be you subscribe for $5 per month or something. Honestly, I get more usage on Blues than I do out of Netflix, which costs much more.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

93. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 21:21 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 01:31:
Staunch wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 18:13:
On a secondary note. I'd love it (and I'm sure some others would) if there was a way to support the site more directly, sans ads. I block advertisements everywhere not because I want sites to die, but because companies that run ad networks can't be trusted to treat people with respect in my opinion.

A login on the site for ad-free viewing would be ideal, but a Patreon or PayPal would also be fine way for those of us that block ads but want to still support the site to do so.

We've been trying to convince Blue to go Patreon for years. Let us know if you have better luck.

I'd gladly do a patreon for a couple/few a month to support the site that I've been visiting and loving for decades.

92. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 15:56 Beamer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 15:38:
Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 10:14:
If a liberal told this guy his house was on fire, he'd deny it, even as all his possessions go up in smoke.

If someone told you that a conspiracy theory from 30 years ago, ended up as factual, you'd still believe the conspiracy theory.

Wait, if the conspiracy theory ended up factual, I'd believe the theory? Shouldn't I? Isn't "factual" a way of saying "correct?"

Also, you shouldn't believe someone when they tell you anything about a conspiracy theory. Someone telling you something isn't proof.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

91. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 15:38 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 10:14:
If a liberal told this guy his house was on fire, he'd deny it, even as all his possessions go up in smoke.

If someone told you that a conspiracy theory from 30 years ago, ended up as factual, you'd still believe the conspiracy theory.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

90. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 15:36 Mashiki Amiketo

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 09:55:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 07:43:
Considering the list of scientists include made-up people, people that don't exist, and whatnot.
As always you don't do a modicum of basic research on what you glean from 7chan, social media and breitbart nor do you source your dreck.
34 names were removed**. mere noise, much like your posts.

**"most of which were duplicates"
As always you manage to fail at basic research yourself. Let me know when you cross-reference the names vs the speakers at trans mountain. Since you're so good at looking up CBC articles, you shouldn't have a problem finding what I just said.

It's always nice when someone makes assumptions, then tries to pull the "but these sauces..." please. You should be ashamed of even trying to pull that.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

89. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 15:14 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 07:06:
Blue wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 02:37:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 01:34:
Blizzard Adds President Xi To 'Overwatch' Roster.

As if you needed any more reason to boycott ActiBlizz.

When you have to say this, you *know* you've made the wrong choice:

Blizzard has denied that the move was made to appease China.

To be clear, that's a satirical article.

Poe's Law. I'd never heard of BabylonBee.

It's The Onion's second cousin, twice removed.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

88. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 12:15 Orogogus

It wraps for me, but the Amazon ad on the front page, the forum controls when reading threads, and this text box and the posting controls are too wide and are causing a scroll bar.  

87. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 11:36 Creston

The only thing that's still a bit annoying is that the text is pretty small on a cellphone. While the whole page fits, if I zoom in to make it actually legible to me, I wind up having to scroll from side to side again.

I thought the redesign was supposed to make it automatically wrap to fit the page if you zoomed in, or did I misunderstand that?

86. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 11:34 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 07:06:
Blue wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 02:37:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 01:34:
Blizzard Adds President Xi To 'Overwatch' Roster.

As if you needed any more reason to boycott ActiBlizz.

When you have to say this, you *know* you've made the wrong choice:

Blizzard has denied that the move was made to appease China.

To be clear, that's a satirical article.

Poe's Law. I'd never heard of BabylonBee.

They're a right-wing, evangelical Christian version of The Onion. People who find Fox News to be center or left-wing tend to find it funny and balanced.

But, come on, that article didn't look even a little real. Did you stop reading after the appease China sentence?

85. Re: Nov 7, 2019, 10:14 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 09:55:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 07:43:
Considering the list of scientists include made-up people, people that don't exist, and whatnot.
As always you don't do a modicum of basic research on what you glean from 7chan, social media and breitbart nor do you source your dreck.
34 names were removed**. mere noise, much like your posts.

**"most of which were duplicates"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >