Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch

This post from Rockstar offers general troubleshooting tips for problems users are encountering in the newly released PC edition of Red Dead Redemption 2. This includes word on a patch for the Rockstar Games Launcher to update it to version 1.0.9.164 to address crashes when launching the western shooter sequel. Rockstar Games Customer Support offers details on the new version:
[November 5, 2019] General / Miscellaneous

• Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher failed to initialize" on startup
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher preload decryption getting stuck and not completing
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in crashes when starting the Rockstar Games Launcher from the Epic Games Launcher
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "Unable to launch game, please verify your game data" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2 from the Epic Games Launcher

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 7, 2019, 19:17 Creston

Rilcon wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 12:56:
The menus of RDR2 are hilariously awful. Which menu has what feels random, multiple menus deal with the same topic but don't point to eachother or hint at their existence, the button mapping for how to navigate and interact with menus changes between menus.

Same deal for many interactions in the game itself (pick up a comb? Hold X. Pick up a flower? Press X. Pick up a card? Hold Y, then press B)

I wonder if someone's made a chart of all the different menus and pages, probably more complex than many early 90s adventure games...

RDR2 deserved to have 15% taken off its scores because of its truly god-fucking-awful controls and menus. It's genuinely the worst menus since X2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 7, 2019, 13:02 Dacron

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 07:40:
Dacron wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 14:14:
"Open your eyes"

Maybe if you did you'd see the complaint is that menu is only available in game. It does not exist from the main menu before starting. When you set everything up.
Yes it does. I just finished doing exactly that.

FYI the supposed fix for the "rockstar launcher exited unexpectedly" isn't fixed, it still exists. Had the same problem myself, and I had to roll back my mobo's firmware to AGESA 1.0.0.2 support. If your mobo uses 1.0.0.3(nearly all boards currently) the game still crashes.

Then it's been patched. For the 5th/6th you could only remap from the escape menu while in game, from the main menu (before entering story mode) the option didn't exist.

*edit*

I just launched RDR 2, and you still cannot re-map from the main menu before loading the map/game. You still must go into a game to get the remap menu option.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

28. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 7, 2019, 07:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Dacron wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 14:14:
"Open your eyes"

Maybe if you did you'd see the complaint is that menu is only available in game. It does not exist from the main menu before starting. When you set everything up.
Yes it does. I just finished doing exactly that.

FYI the supposed fix for the "rockstar launcher exited unexpectedly" isn't fixed, it still exists. Had the same problem myself, and I had to roll back my mobo's firmware to AGESA 1.0.0.2 support. If your mobo uses 1.0.0.3(nearly all boards currently) the game still crashes.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

27. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 18:27 Rilcon

They're very different games. I'd say "yes", based on hours of entertainment I got out of it and the feeling of overall "quality". It doesn't however have as as much of a "western" feel as Call of Juarez.  

26. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 14:35 Linthat22

Anybody know if this game is better than The Call of Juarez?  

25. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 14:14 Dacron

Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:55:
Settings>Controls>Key Mapping

It's right fucking there at the top of the screen. I've remapped a bunch of stuff. Open your fucking eyes.

"Open your eyes"

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

24. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 13:55 Cutter

Settings>Controls>Key Mapping

It's right fucking there at the top of the screen. I've remapped a bunch of stuff. Open your fucking eyes.

23. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 12:56 Rilcon

El Pit wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 11:22:
Avus wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 11:20:
El Pit wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 08:59:
Simon Says wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 07:07:
No key remapping...

Really? Well, then this a definite no buy for me. If I can't change from WASD to arrow keys, I'm out for good. Also: basics for a pc port: KEY REMAPPING!

not really, with a quick youtube search
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaq_QIRtT6A

Thanks! So you can actually remap the keys but need a 3 minute video tutorial explaining how to. Well... At least you CAN remap the keys if you can find the option!
The menus of RDR2 are hilariously awful. Which menu has what feels random, multiple menus deal with the same topic but don't point to eachother or hint at their existence, the button mapping for how to navigate and interact with menus changes between menus.

Same deal for many interactions in the game itself (pick up a comb? Hold X. Pick up a flower? Press X. Pick up a card? Hold Y, then press B)

I wonder if someone's made a chart of all the different menus and pages, probably more complex than many early 90s adventure games...

22. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 11:22 El Pit

Avus wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 11:20:
No key remapping...

Really? Well, then this a definite no buy for me. If I can't change from WASD to arrow keys, I'm out for good. Also: basics for a pc port: KEY REMAPPING!

Thanks! So you can actually remap the keys but need a 3 minute video tutorial explaining how to. Well... At least you CAN remap the keys if you can find the option!

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

21. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 11:20 Avus

No key remapping...

I am not a Mac user unless under duress. - John Carmack

20. Re: Morning Patches Nov 6, 2019, 11:12 Creston

Rilcon wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 07:14:
Back when I played through It took until hours after the second camp near Rhodes for the game to stop tutorializing and railroading things and let me feel like I could take time for myself. Probably the longest tutorial ever, though I've heard some jRPGs have it worse.

Yeah, the second chapter (Horseshoe overlook, IIRC) just isn't that much fun. There's only a few fun missions in it, most of them are dreary, the characters are still toned down and muted. That all definitely changes once the story moves along, but I can easily see how people would not enjoy the game at that point.

19. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 08:59 El Pit

No key remapping...

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

18. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 08:56 Numinar

This game is like a module for DCS.

Instead of getting a plane, you get a cowboy. And like Elite, EuroTruck or DCS it isn't so much the missions but the act of mastering the systems and moving about in the world that is satisfying.

HOTAS/Controller mapping is pretty good but dense as fuck. I wonder how the kb/M feels, but rockstar junk always feels like it's better on a sofa with some thumbsticks.

Did not enjoy MP. Third person janky trash. Game already looks and runs phenomenal on XB1X, not sure if my PC is a big enough jump to make another playthrough worth it.

The pacing is slow. Even if you were to mainline it this is a game you soak in. I don't think the story is amazing, but there are amazing moments and characters in it. So it's got that in common with modern cinema and TV.

17. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 08:28 Verno

Dacron wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 21:55:
I must be the minority.

Is this the patch that makes the game FUN ? ~8 hours in, free roam accessible etc... and it just isn't fun. And I loved RDR 1. Kind of regret buying this.

Go exploring, do some hunting, camp out or just screw around. The game world has so much shit to offer, there is something there for everyone. I spent a good 5-6 hours just rippin and robbin between a few of the towns and getting chased by posses. I spent a few hours just playing cards and drinking at the saloon. You can go be a friggin ranch hand even at one point. The first game frankly had a lot less random activities and less side activities.

To me the game doesn't really open up until the end of the second chapter but you can certainly do a ton before that. Whether you find any of it fun, well that's up to you to figure out.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

16. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 08:21 The Half Elf

Dacron wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 21:55:
I must be the minority.

Is this the patch that makes the game FUN ? ~8 hours in, free roam accessible etc... and it just isn't fun. And I loved RDR 1. Kind of regret buying this.

Because all the good stuff happened in the first 8 hours of RDR1 too right?

keep going.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

15. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 07:50 Avus

Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 23:41:
Avus wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 23:10:
Buying game in first month is like buying a first year model car. Expect more problems then usual.

You keep telling yourself that as everyone else is having a blast playing it.

Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 23:43:
Anyone got this working with AMD link? I tried but no go. I'll play around with it later as I just want to play the game atm, but was curious if anyone else has managed it ok.

But you are NOT part of the everyone!! My gaming experience have been a blast by not buying game at launch.

I am not a Mac user unless under duress. - John Carmack

14. Re: Morning Patches Nov 6, 2019, 07:48 SpectralMeat

I am getting a lot of stutter and 5-6 seconds pauses during gameplay. The audio keeps playing but the screen freezes.
Changed the API from the default Vulkan to DX12 it helped a bit but it's still there.
Hope there will be some patches to address this soon.

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: Morning Patches Nov 6, 2019, 07:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, sounds like I'll be waiting a year or so for some patches/mods and a price drop.

12. Re: Morning Patches Nov 6, 2019, 07:14 Rilcon

Back when I played through It took until hours after the second camp near Rhodes for the game to stop tutorializing and railroading things and let me feel like I could take time for myself. Probably the longest tutorial ever, though I've heard some jRPGs have it worse.

That said, after that point the game was very much Fun for me.

As for the gunplay/combat, it's about as involved as any other game with gunplay rooted in reality without being realistic, and the wow factor certainly helps; feedback and audio feel good, payoff for hits is nice, melee can be wonky but also fun to watch (unless someone brings a machete).

11. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 07:07 Simon Says

No key remapping... Utter unoptimized crap -_- palm -> face

Rockshit did it again with their abyssal port suffering from acute consolitis.

Heck even after how many years? GTA V still relatively runs like crap. Not holding my breath for this one either.

Just imagine if it was a PC first game, people would be up in arms! But, since it's a Rock* game that people had to wait one year to play after the console release, no it's fine, they'll buy it, play and not raise a ruckus one bit since they consider themselves lucky after a long wait.

I swear Rock* does it on purpose, release a craptastic port a bit late knowing nobody won't say a thing cause they're just happy to finally be able to play it, even if the experience is crap, they'll still buy it, so F'em PC gamers.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >