Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: etc.
Nov 4, 2019, 23:15
Beamer

Re: etc. Nov 4, 2019, 23:15
Nov 4, 2019, 23:15
 Beamer

afka Rossini wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 17:22:
G/O Media has really screwed the pooch. What seems to be greed has killed a bunch of sites. With Drew Magary quitting, Deadspin is off my homepage speed dial. Which means that I won't be visiting Kotaku, A.V. Club, Lifehacker, etc. along with the recently killed Splinter. Maybe that's the point. Maybe (says the conspiracy lunatic in the back of my brain) this is just an elaborate attempt to spit on the grave of Gawker.

Nah, just about getting management fees.

Avclub was the best. It's still good, but prior to Univision it was stellar.

Nov 4, 2019, 23:03
Re: etc. Nov 4, 2019, 23:03
Nov 4, 2019, 23:03

The C64 mini is going LARGE and feature packed! - Full sized version of the 80’s best-selling home computer (December 2019)

Will BYTE and Compute! magazines also be making their appearances? Asking for a friend.

~Finis~

Nov 4, 2019, 17:22
Re: etc. Nov 4, 2019, 17:22
Nov 4, 2019, 17:22

G/O Media has really screwed the pooch. What seems to be greed has killed a bunch of sites. With Drew Magary quitting, Deadspin is off my homepage speed dial. Which means that I won't be visiting Kotaku, A.V. Club, Lifehacker, etc. along with the recently killed Splinter. Maybe that's the point. Maybe (says the conspiracy lunatic in the back of my brain) this is just an elaborate attempt to spit on the grave of Gawker.
"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.

Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike
Nov 4, 2019, 15:01
fds
Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 4, 2019, 15:01
Nov 4, 2019, 15:01
fds

Flatline wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 13:07:
What I don't understand is why do modern browsers still fucking support auto play of video? It's fucking the bane of my existence. They *can't* work for product visibility, I've never had one of those POS ads start up and been like "huh.. I'm going to watch this!" It's more like "oh god stop it fuck stop it fuck you okay i'm closing the goddamn tab and not coming back if I can't stop this fucking video"

Safari has made the change to only allow autoplay of videos with no audio by default, a couple years back. You can change the default globally or on a site-by-site basis, going back to allowing all autoplay, or blocking it entirely. Making blocking even silent video autoplay the default has the issue of encouraging going back to the highly inefficient, grimy old animated GIFs, which were always allowed to “auto play” historically.

I assumed most other browsers have adopted Safari’s restrictions on video autoplay by now.

Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike
Nov 4, 2019, 13:07
Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 4, 2019, 13:07
Nov 4, 2019, 13:07

Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 11:08:
Regardless of your thoughts on the site, it's always frustrating to see private equity firms come in and try to vulture a company by bleeding it dry. They take management fees, make short term decisions, and leave a corpse. The PE firm makes profits, as do its owners, but the employees and consumers get shafted.

Nice to see that the new G/O employees aren't willing to slowly die, and instead pulling the plug quickly and leaving the PE firm with nothing to pillage.

Agreed, although we all know that in the end Kotaku will toe the line if any group will.

What I don't understand is why do modern browsers still fucking support auto play of video? It's fucking the bane of my existence. They *can't* work for product visibility, I've never had one of those POS ads start up and been like "huh.. I'm going to watch this!" It's more like "oh god stop it fuck stop it fuck you okay i'm closing the goddamn tab and not coming back if I can't stop this fucking video"

Nov 4, 2019, 13:04
Re: etc. Nov 4, 2019, 13:04
Nov 4, 2019, 13:04

Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 11:08:
Regardless of your thoughts on the site, it's always frustrating to see private equity firms come in and try to vulture a company by bleeding it dry. They take management fees, make short term decisions, and leave a corpse. The PE firm makes profits, as do its owners, but the employees and consumers get shafted.

Nice to see that the new G/O employees aren't willing to slowly die, and instead pulling the plug quickly and leaving the PE firm with nothing to pillage.

Basically every deadspin writer already left. Which sucks, because I quite liked deadspin. :\

Nov 4, 2019, 11:08
Beamer

Re: etc. Nov 4, 2019, 11:08
Nov 4, 2019, 11:08
 Beamer

Nov 4, 2019, 10:59
Re: etc. Nov 4, 2019, 10:59
Nov 4, 2019, 10:59

Popular Gaming Website Kotaku Might Be Going Away In Wake of Controversial Management Decisions…

The ads on ebaumsworld are worse! Hah
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older