Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only

The announcement of Diablo IV refers to the action/RPG sequel's "same shared world." During a panel about the game an answer from lead designer Angela Del Priore confirms the game will be online-only. "We are not going to support an offline mode," Del Priore said. "But as I said before, nothing in Diablo 4 is going to require partying up. You can play solo and dungeons are private. Campaign quest areas will remain private." GameSpot has separately confirmed this with Blizzard, adding an endorsement of the plan, saying: "At BlizzCon, we played some of Diablo 4 and felt that the 'live' aspect of the game introduced something new to the franchise."
View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

79. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 5, 2019, 13:26 chickenboo

phinn wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 11:23:
Is Overwatch online-only?

Of course, not to be rude what year do you think this is? Everything is and should be online only these days. It's a non issue, let's move on.

Let's talk about how amazing Diablo 4 is going to be if they keep to Diablo 1's art style and music, Diablo 2's story quality and character classes, and Diablo 3's fluid gameplay, then add in much more challenge (Diablo 3 is way too easy) and pvp and you have masterpiece potential.

This exactly is what they should do! How do they not understand this? I bet more than half their team hasn't even played D1 or D2 nor do they understand what their customers even want. It's like they don't have their finger on the Action RPG pulse. Just a classic case of Tone Deaf. Management from on high breathing down the necks of the dev team and all creativity and mastership-potential is thrown out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

78. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 5, 2019, 13:13 chickenboo

Meh, not interested yet. When they release a more polished gameplay trailer, I'll come around to it. I never did play Diablo 3 and I don't have any desire to either. Give me Diablo 2 Remaster or give me death!  

77. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 21:11 Mr. Tact

Alamar wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 21:01:
If your argument is that the additional storage doesn't impact game play, I'm just gonna assume you've played single digit hours...
By the time you "need" additional storage, it is highly likely you enjoy the game enough you'll be glad to spend a few dollars to get it. Especially since the game is free. But it certainly isn't required with your first character. If you never get to a second character you probably won't have reached the point where you want to buy storage.

I built four characters in four different leagues to level 87+ and I feel like I have barely played the game. I certainly don't understand all of its facets...

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2019, 14:00.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

76. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 21:01 Alamar

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 13:23:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 13:14:
Hump wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 10:29:
Path of Exile
Thats all.
POE is an online-only game with an in-your-face MTX shop.
All of which are either cosmetic or additional storage/character slots, none of them impact game play.

If your argument is that the additional storage doesn't impact game play, I'm just gonna assume you've played single digit hours...

75. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 18:17 Mr. Tact

bigspender wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 16:19:
The problem with path of exile is that most of the builds are not viable beyond a certain point of the game. So while you can have fun experimenting with different play styles, if you don't use the ~20 or so calculated math genius builds you don't get to see a large portion of the game, because you either can't survive, or can't do enough damage to get through a level. And there's no easy way to reset all of your stats. You have to start again.

So I love PoE up until you hit that part of the game where you're screwed if you didn't follow a build guide.

D3 was a bit too far in the other direction, where everything was safe, and easily changed, to the point where there wasn't much left in the way of character creation (I suppose it was more gear focused).

There's gotta be a happy middle ground, where there is plenty of customisation, and experimentation, but, also making sure, that most builds are viable.
Well said, I think you are being a little tough on PoE, but overall I'd agree. Getting to see all the content in PoE is not easy. However, for the most part it is that way on purpose. D3 is the exact opposite. Any reasonably capable person will easily finish all the content. I would also like to see something in between the two.

74. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 18:15 Kxmode

bigspender wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 16:19:
Path of Exile

Thats all.

The problem with path of exile is that most of the builds are not viable beyond a certain point of the game. So while you can have fun experimenting with different play styles, if you don't use the ~20 or so calculated math genius builds you don't get to see a large portion of the game, because you either can't survive, or can't do enough damage to get through a level. And there's no easy way to reset all of your stats. You have to start again.

So I love PoE up until you hit that part of the game where you're screwed if you didn't follow a build guide.

D3 was a bit too far in the other direction, where everything was safe, and easily changed, to the point where there wasn't much left in the way of character creation (I suppose it was more gear focused).

There's gotta be a happy middle ground, where there is plenty of customisation, and experimentation, but, also making sure, that most builds are viable.

Path of Exile is a great game, but not for casual players. I would argue it's not even for hardcore players. It's really for hardcore players who happen to be math geniuses (as you stated), and have money to burn. It does NOT forgive new players. Each league they make radical changes to the skill tree and gems so that a build that was viable in one league is significantly underpowered in the next. You also need a powerful computer to handle all the crazy math computations on the screen (a few players have figured out builds that can mathematically crash the service). The game prides itself on being hard by design. Because of that, it is heavily reliant on expensive "micro" transactions to offset its relatively small niche fan base. Charging $40 for a new hideout theme or $180 for a full armor set isn't what I would consider micro. But players do make those purchases and it keeps the game sustained indefinitely.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

73. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 16:19 bigspender

Path of Exile

Thats all.

72. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 15:08 [SC]TherMight

Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 10:03:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 09:29:
As if that dishonest trailer weren't enough to solidify my stance, this guarantees a hard pass. Thanks, Blizzy. More money I won't be wasting.

What did you find dishonest?

I'm not O.P. and would like to know too but I do know that my S.O saw the cinematic and said "Nope I won't be playing that with you. Waaaay too dark for me" Bummer. It was pretty grusome but also catered to the old school diablo crowd. They still might have overdone it for chicks who have religious attachments and identify with playing priests.

71. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 14:12 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 14:07:
That's NOT the point of my reply. The topic is about D4 being confirmed as online-only. The reply by Hump implied Path of Exile isn't an online-only game. I corrected that.
So.. your comment about the "in-your-face MTX Shop" was about PoE being on an on-line game... got it.

70. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 14:07 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 13:23:
Path of Exile
Thats all.
All of which are either cosmetic or additional storage/character slots, none of them impact game play.

That's NOT the point of my reply. The topic is about D4 being confirmed as online-only. The reply by Hump implied Path of Exile isn't an online-only game. I corrected that.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

69. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 13:55 VaranDragon

If I can't get D2's battle.net interface or its like in D4, Ill settle for multiplayer hubs within the world, which amounts to pretty much the same thing, replacing the chatrooms and servers with in-game hubs and instances.

Which in any case I wouldn't care two shits about anyway if the game turned out to be shit on release.

68. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 13:23 Mr. Tact

Path of Exile
Thats all.

67. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 13:14 Kxmode

Path of Exile

Thats all.

66. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 13:12 Kxmode

Remember when single-player games came in a box without the need for the Internet?  

65. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 12:32 jdreyer

Dash wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 04:16:
Welp. I guess that saves me that decision...

Guess it doesn't matter much anyway. Most of my friends don't play the games I do anyway, and I get a bit too anxious to make new friends online to play games. Oh well.

The solution is to make friends on Blues, then meet them online!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

64. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 11:23 phinn

Of course, not to be rude what year do you think this is? Everything is and should be online only these days. It's a non issue, let's move on.

Let's talk about how amazing Diablo 4 is going to be if they keep to Diablo 1's art style and music, Diablo 2's story quality and character classes, and Diablo 3's fluid gameplay, then add in much more challenge (Diablo 3 is way too easy) and pvp and you have masterpiece potential.

63. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 10:42 Beamer

Verno wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 10:40:
LurkerLito wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 09:05:
"We are not going to support an offline mode," Del Priore said. "But as I said before, nothing in Diablo 4 is going to require partying up. You can play solo and dungeons are private. Campaign quest areas will remain private."

In other words..."We are getting people use to the idea that being online to play is normal, so when we pull the rug out of them down the line, we can make our 'game streaming' option w/ a monthly subscription access fee along with an initial game 'subscription' cost the only way to play."

Thanks Blizzard, hard pass for me just like with Diablo 3.

Seems like a really weird accusation given their support for Diablo 3 and Diablo 2. Blizzard is many things but they do give their titles a long shelf life and I doubt this game will be any different.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

62. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 10:40 Verno

LurkerLito wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 09:05:
"We are not going to support an offline mode," Del Priore said. "But as I said before, nothing in Diablo 4 is going to require partying up. You can play solo and dungeons are private. Campaign quest areas will remain private."

In other words..."We are getting people use to the idea that being online to play is normal, so when we pull the rug out of them down the line, we can make our 'game streaming' option w/ a monthly subscription access fee along with an initial game 'subscription' cost the only way to play."

Thanks Blizzard, hard pass for me just like with Diablo 3.

Seems like a really weird accusation given their support for Diablo 3 and Diablo 2. Blizzard is many things but they do give their titles a long shelf life and I doubt this game will be any different.

I think D4 is shaping up to be everything D3 should've been. I really liked what I saw in the 2 hour hands-on and hope they can refine the systems to add more depth which it sounds like they're doing.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

61. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 10:35 RedEye9

Luke wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 10:14:
heroin wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 02:46:
I remember duping in town in Diablo 1 and I remember Diablo 2 and especially LoD, and hauling my huge computer over to LAN parties. Diablo 3 was terrible in my opinion. Not a fan of the Diablo clones either, Sacred, Grim Dawn, PoE, all that jazz, Torchlight was alright I guess... It's just perplexing to me that Blizzard who makes billions on a regular basis, who can hire serious talent, who can spend a literal eternity making innovative & awesome games - seems to be unable to create anything interesting these days. I mean that is a pretty incredible feat in and of itself!

Answer: wallstreet has no time for fun
+10 You can't keep'em down on the farm once they develop a taste for hookers and blow.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

60. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 4, 2019, 10:29 Hump

Path of Exile

Thats all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >