Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

New Steam Library Launches

The Steam Blog announces the new Steam Library has officially launched out of beta, and is now available for all. Here's an overview:
The new Steam library was built with the belief that our libraries are valuable to us for some customers, they contain more than fifteen years of games. From your absolute favorite AAA title that all your friends are playing, to that solo indie art project that only you seem to love, your Steam library represents your gaming history.

But, a good library shouldn't just be dusty shelves, it has to be a fun place to explore and find whatever it is that you're looking for. Whether you want to keep up to date about what's happening with your games, find a game to play with your friends, or explore what's happening in your game's community, your library should support you.
View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: New Steam Library Launches Nov 1, 2019, 11:51 Creston

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 09:30:
Somehow they managed to completely break the Mac build. Only the Downloads view works. This went through testing?

It is now!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: New Steam Library Launches Nov 1, 2019, 11:33 deqer

For those that want to revert back to the previous UI: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/dpitwn/revert_back_to_the_old_library_ui_kiss_this_mans/

47. Re: New Steam Library Launches Nov 1, 2019, 08:41  Beamer 

Just installed it.

Honestly, don't remember much about what was on the right side. Right now, it's too Netflix-y, looking at box art instead of text is inefficient - half the time I have no clue what the box art is of. And I think it made it harder to get to stats about what you've done in the game.

But 99% of the time that I'm in Steam I just use the left hand navigation, which hasn't changed. And I rarely open Steam, anyway. I click the task bar up arrow thing, then Steam, then the name of the game I want to play. The 5 most recently played games are there, so I only need to go into Steam for a new game. Anything I'm currently playing has faster ways to launch.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

46. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 23:56 Julian Delphiki

MeanJim wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 19:48:
saluk wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 16:22:
phinn wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 16:13:
Really don't understand why everyone throws a fit anytime something new comes out. Steam was and still is in need of a modern UI. This is a nice step forward, no complaints.

Modern UI design is terrible. It intentionally sacrifices usability, efficiency, and discoverability to optimize for engagement. A decade of making computing technology worse so that consumers look at the screen longer and click on more ads.

Pretty much what he said. I use Steam to launch games. That's it. The new UI has made it worse to do that one thing, all just to throw crap in my face that I don't want or need to see. Any other Steam related things like browsing/buying games, I do in my web browser anyway. The new UI presents less information and yet somehow takes up more room. I'm not against a new UI if it's better than what it's replacing. This new UI, while it has a few long request features, overall it is not better and has taken options away from those of us that prefer a minimal UI (small mode) and being able switch the library view to a list in full mode instead of giant boxes/icons.

The GOG Galaxy beta 2.0 client is an improvement over the old client. It kept the features of the old client that people like, big box icons like a shelf, but added the ability to use a minimal list view. Steam has done the opposite, removed the minimal list modes and replaced it with only the large boxy icon views.

Did they already change that? My library list has the classic minimalist game list on the left that can now be categorized into more groups and filtered easier...seems like an improvement to me for that part. I never read the 'game info' page when clicking on a game on that list anyway, so they can make a library listing of my stuff that I can shuffle around. It seems very similar to GoG to me.

45. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 19:48  MeanJim 

Really don't understand why everyone throws a fit anytime something new comes out. Steam was and still is in need of a modern UI. This is a nice step forward, no complaints.

Modern UI design is terrible. It intentionally sacrifices usability, efficiency, and discoverability to optimize for engagement. A decade of making computing technology worse so that consumers look at the screen longer and click on more ads.

Pretty much what he said. I use Steam to launch games. That's it. The new UI has made it worse to do that one thing, all just to throw crap in my face that I don't want or need to see. Any other Steam related things like browsing/buying games, I do in my web browser anyway. The new UI presents less information and yet somehow takes up more room. I'm not against a new UI if it's better than what it's replacing. This new UI, while it has a few long request features, overall it is not better and has taken options away from those of us that prefer a minimal UI (small mode) and being able switch the library view to a list in full mode instead of giant boxes/icons.

The GOG Galaxy beta 2.0 client is an improvement over the old client. It kept the features of the old client that people like, big box icons like a shelf, but added the ability to use a minimal list view. Steam has done the opposite, removed the minimal list modes and replaced it with only the large boxy icon views.

"As a species, we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room,
we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you
think we invented politics and religion?"

44. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 18:01 roguebanshee

subx wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 17:00:
roguebanshee wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 13:48:
subx wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 13:30:
Anyway like someone said earlier "minigameslist" is still in there (for the moment). You can open it from the command line / short cut...
Steam.exe +open steam://open/minigameslist
Unfortunately, if you do just about anything but launch a game, the interface will immedately revert to the new style.
That's what I use it for...?

Not sure what else you could use small mode for.
Asking Steam to update a game before the scheduled time is one thing the minimalist interface should be able to do without suddenly going into derp mode.

43. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 17:25  RedEye9 

You hate Steam and I assume you don't use it.
Wrong on 2 counts, that's impressive even for you.
Anything else you'd like to assume or wrongly state to make it 0 for three.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

42. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 17:00 subx

roguebanshee wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 13:48:
Anyway like someone said earlier "minigameslist" is still in there (for the moment). You can open it from the command line / short cut...
Unfortunately, if you do just about anything but launch a game, the interface will immedately revert to the new style.
That's what I use it for...?

Not sure what else you could use small mode for.

41. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 16:38 chickenboo

Hey valve: can you spend like a month fixing some of these years-long issues with big picture mode plzkthxbai. (Videos randomly not playing, sale notifications not having a list of the games that are part of the sale, scaling not working right on the "about this game" pop-up, the friends list scaling being completely broken since the messaging was updated...)

With you on that, I use BPM a lot with my SC as well and find those bugs really annoying. Grouped sale items won't display in the sale search; Selected context item sometimes hidden or stuck in the left navigation panel; Reviews are limited to the first 15 or so; Can't disable video auto play on store pages; BPM sometimes laggy sometimes not, and I never know for which games or when it will happen; Some games refuse to launch at all and require a chorded mouse click (steam+Rtrigger)to launch; the list goes on... None of them are so bad I won't use it, and I'm glad it's a feature of Steam, but it really needs updating and bug fixes. Valve needs to just dedicate some more staff to BPM... and tell us about SC V2.0!

40. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 16:25  Kxmode 

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 08:52:
bigspender wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 04:09:
Stop changing shit ffs.

Do your improvements on the back end not on my UI
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 08:20:
Hope you all like massive wastes of screen space.
Soulburner wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 08:40:
The new library layout introduced one thing on my end: higher CPU and GPU usage. My toaster's fan is spinning much too eagerly while just browsing my games list.
Dan =0) wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 00:37:
Just updated.

The interface looks extremely cluttered, now.

There's miniature icon to the left of each title in the games list on the left-hand side in the Library view; along with that, a tile-like listing of the games in a larger area on the right-hand side of the Steam client. Top left above the games list (text titles with miniature icons), several different fields squished together.

What in hell. UI/UX has taken a step back, methinks.
Nothing better than Change for the Sake of Change.

Features no one wanted added, requested features ignored.

The syncophants and desk pushers like it, that's all that matters.

You hate Steam and I assume you don't use it. So what do you care what the updated UI looks like? You got more important things to be concerned about like the Epic Games Store still not having a shopping cart.

39. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 16:22 saluk

This specific upgrade... isn't that bad. It may be a lot slower than the old one - but has some useful features for organizing things. Still... I'll use it about the same amount as the old one. Which is almost never. I typically play with a steam controller and launch games via big picture on my 4k tv. The only time I use the normal steam interface is when (insert feature here that doesn't work correctly on big picture).

Hey valve: can you spend like a month fixing some of these years-long issues with big picture mode plzkthxbai. (Videos randomly not playing, sale notifications not having a list of the games that are part of the sale, scaling not working right on the "about this game" pop-up, the friends list scaling being completely broken since the messaging was updated...)

38. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 16:13 phinn

37. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 15:29  Mr. Tact 

The Flying Penguin wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 14:53:
Alright, logged in and updated... not as bad as I feared it might be. I simply select Library -> Collections, since I have no collections, I get my games in a list on the left side of the screen and nothing else... I can live with that.
I assume you keep Steam running in background, 'cause that doesn't work for me. I have a dedicated gaming PC and it gets shut down when I'm not playing. Even if I select Collections, it just defaults back to that "What's new" page when Steam starts the next time.
Actually, I don't. In fact, I am rarely even "on-line" with Steam. As per usual, after updating I went into "off-line mode", followed by me closing Steam. So yeah, I'll have to click Library -> Collections each time I log into Steam, which I will admit is a bit annoying, but it is something I can live with, especially since I don't log into Steam often. I was expecting to not have any kind of reasonable option...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

36. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 14:53  The Flying Penguin 

Alright, logged in and updated... not as bad as I feared it might be. I simply select Library -> Collections, since I have no collections, I get my games in a list on the left side of the screen and nothing else... I can live with that.

I assume you keep Steam running in background, 'cause that doesn't work for me. I have a dedicated gaming PC and it gets shut down when I'm not playing. Even if I select Collections, it just defaults back to that "What's new" page when Steam starts the next time.

35. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 14:39 J

Okay. Very funny. You can stop that now.  

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

34. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 14:22  The Flying Penguin 

I can live with the new UI, but what annoys me is how laggy it is and I don't really want the "What's new" crap at the top of the home page and they should give you an option to disable it. Just feels like they're pushing advertising needlessly in a space that should just be a launcher.

Eh, yeah like a lot of people I was perfectly happy with the old, simple and clean Library page, but since I don't usually run my games from the library (I use desktop shortcuts) I can live with it. They just need to improve performance.

33. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 13:54  Mr. Tact 

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

32. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 13:48 roguebanshee

31. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 13:30 subx

FFS, I'm still annoyed they removed the button to switch between large and small modes...

I only ever use small mode (unless buying something), but clearly they feel they are missing out on an opportunity to try and sell me some shit I don't want. The problem of lack of any real competition for Steam - no incentive to listen to the users.

30. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 12:32 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 12:03:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 19:05:
...And I absolutely guarantee users will howl in protest for changing their beloved Steam the moment they do it.

Well yeah, because even aside from UI, it has abysmal performance, like how is that even possible? Scrolling in news and other things just LAG and use a ton of CPU. Why?

Ton meaning maxing out 2 cores and delay meaning upwards of 200ms on a SCROLL action.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >