Diablo Team at ExileCon

Grinding Gear Games reveals additional details on ExileCon, next month's convention dedicated to Path of Exile, their action/RPG. This will run on November 16th and 17th in Auckland, New Zealand, but they promise to stream highlights of the festivities for those who cannot make the trip. Those who can will get to experience a bunch of reveals and announcements first-hand. They will also get to rub elbows with some giants of the genre, as Blizzard North founders David Brevik, Max Schaefer, and Erich Schaefer will be in attendance, and there will be a special session with these creators of the original Diablo. Here's more on the plan:
Today, Grinding Gear Games provided additional details about ExileCon, the first convention dedicated to their award-winning RPG, Path of Exile. ExileCon is taking place in Auckland, New Zealand on Saturday, November 16 and Sunday, November 17, 2019 at the beautiful Aotea Centre and will feature huge announcements and hands-on previews for large expansions to Path of Exile including the 3.9.0 expansion (December 2019) and the highly-anticipated 4.0.0 mega-expansion (late 2020 launch estimate). The event culminates with the 2019 Path of Exile race finals and the spectacular ExileCon Closing Party.
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon
Nov 1, 2019, 12:06
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Nov 1, 2019, 12:06
Nov 1, 2019, 12:06

Nullity wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 11:50:
In my several attempts at playing PoE, I think I made it all the way through Act 1 once, and then stopped. The other times, I never even got that far.

You might be right, it's possible that I may find end game (or later game) a lot of fun. However, if I don't enjoy getting there, what's the point?
You're right, having fun is what it is all about. I guess my question would be, have you ever played a game which started slow but later was a good game? I'd put PoE in that category -- especially for beginners.

If you were trying to figure it out on your own that's a recipe for failure. The game is really too complex to do that. You'd be much better off finding a build guide you like or find interesting in the forums or on YT and following it until you learn some more about the game. The end of act one really isn't that far into the game. I can't imagine that taking more than a couple of hours a best. Which would be pretty bad hours if you don't understand the game much...

Later, the early part of the game isn't an issue with new characters. You breeze through the first few acts without even noticing it. Being good at the game does take some time. But there aren't many things in life which are worth doing which don't take some effort, right? However, yeah -- the game isn't for everyone by a long shot. I wouldn't even call it my favorite ARPG. But it is a good game, and can be great.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Nov 1, 2019, 11:52
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Nov 1, 2019, 11:52
Nov 1, 2019, 11:52

That said, it can be a complicated game. Setting up your Hideout and getting all of your leveling done with the NPCs can be somewhere between confusing and intimidating. Although I believe one of the recent updates did some cleanup around that making it easier. It has been a couple of seasons since I played.

I think PoE is a great game, but it isn't for everyone by far. And I certainly haven't played it as much as I have other games, including D3.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Nov 1, 2019, 11:50
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Nov 1, 2019, 11:50
Nov 1, 2019, 11:50

In my several attempts at playing PoE, I think I made it all the way through Act 1 once, and then stopped. The other times, I never even got that far.

You might be right, it's possible that I may find end game (or later game) a lot of fun. However, if I don't enjoy getting there, what's the point?

Nov 1, 2019, 11:38
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Nov 1, 2019, 11:38
Nov 1, 2019, 11:38

Huh, interesting. Well first, as you found out, you can buy nearly all of the skill gems from the vendors. Yeah, not all of them right away -- but before you are into the late game, let alone the end game, most of them are available. And the prices for them are very reasonable. Second, if this was an issue for you, you didn't play the game for very long or didn't do much research to attempting to resolve your problem, because building a character to level 60 or so, when things can really start to come together doesn't take terribly long.

I'd suggest you do some more research on the issues you are having and give it another try. It isn't a simple game, but it really isn't THAT hard either. And building a successful character in PoE certainly is a lot more satisfying they say, building one in D3...

Nov 1, 2019, 11:23
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Nov 1, 2019, 11:23
Nov 1, 2019, 11:23

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 10:36:
Nullity wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 09:10:
I *want* to like this game. I've tried to restart and get into it like 4 or 5 times over the years, but I never last long. It's the skill system, I can't stand it. As long as that remains the same, I'll never be into this game.
I'm curious, are you saying you don't like having to acquire the gems to get skills, or that you have to learn how to combine them for them to be effective, or what?
The biggest issue has to do with acquiring them. You get a few to start off with as quest rewards, but after that it's a lot of RNG. I can't just learn or purchase a particular skill I want, or even work towards a goal to get something specific.

Skills are arguably the most important part of your character in an (a)rpg, and they should never be based on RNG. There should always be a clear progression path to acquire what you want in order to plan builds, or just have fun with the skills you want to use, etc.

That said, it's been a long time since I've tried it, so it's possible some things have changed or my memory might even be a little incorrect.

I did just spend a couple minutes researching the possible ways to acquire skill gems, and it seems that there are more options to purchase them from vendors (again, often with RNG) or a greater variety to receive as rewards later in the game. However, if I don't enjoy the system while getting to that point, it doesn't help me.

Also, if I wanted more than one of a particular gem, RNG factors in even more. For example, if it was a gem that I got as a skill reward, the only other way I could get another one was to wait for an RNG drop, or start a separate character and play up to that point to get another one, then transfer it to the first character. But then if I wanted to keep that 2nd character, it just lost a skill gem, or wasted a reward choice on an item for a different character.

It's just a bunch of nonsense that I feel like I shouldn't have to deal with in this type of game.

Nov 1, 2019, 10:36
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Nov 1, 2019, 10:36
Nov 1, 2019, 10:36

Nullity wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 09:10:
I *want* to like this game. I've tried to restart and get into it like 4 or 5 times over the years, but I never last long. It's the skill system, I can't stand it. As long as that remains the same, I'll never be into this game.
I'm curious, are you saying you don't like having to acquire the gems to get skills, or that you have to learn how to combine them for them to be effective, or what?

Nov 1, 2019, 09:10
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Nov 1, 2019, 09:10
Nov 1, 2019, 09:10

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 18:49:
When people ask "how is this game", "should I come back?", "I wanted to like it but didn't"

This "highly-anticipated 4.0.0 mega-expansion (late 2020 launch estimate)" that should be when you want to next check it out. IMO they have still done good work over the years, but it is still very much the same game, just bigger and more polished. 2.0 we'll get to see how much they can really change it up.

Oct 31, 2019, 10:37
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Oct 31, 2019, 10:37
Oct 31, 2019, 10:37

Cram wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 13:00:
Slightly misleading title there... Maybe put an "Ex-" before the word Diablo

I am very curious about PoE 4.0 - they're brewing something ridiculous.

Except they are still the team behing the original Diablo game

Oct 31, 2019, 10:11
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Oct 31, 2019, 10:11
Oct 31, 2019, 10:11

4.0.0 Mega Expansion? Haha, how much are they going to put into this game? It's already unrecognizable from the original betas, in terms of skills, graphics, and mostly the extra systems.

I'm morbidly curious, so I guess I'll reinstall again in late 2020.

Oct 30, 2019, 18:49
Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Oct 30, 2019, 18:49
Oct 30, 2019, 18:49

When people ask "how is this game", "should I come back?", "I wanted to like it but didn't"

This "highly-anticipated 4.0.0 mega-expansion (late 2020 launch estimate)" that should be when you want to next check it out. IMO they have still done good work over the years, but it is still very much the same game, just bigger and more polished. 2.0 we'll get to see how much they can really change it up.

Oct 30, 2019, 13:00
Cram

Re: Diablo Team at ExileCon Oct 30, 2019, 13:00
Oct 30, 2019, 13:00
 Cram

Slightly misleading title there... Maybe put an "Ex-" before the word Diablo

I am very curious about PoE 4.0 - they're brewing something ridiculous.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older