Out of the Blue

My father-in-law's funeral was a yesterday, and was quite a moving affair. Many funerals have eulogies from officiants who write them based on discussion with the family, but this is the first time I was part of that process. I came away terribly impressed by how she managed to take in so many stories and recollections and turn it into a coherent narrative. This resulted in a terrific eulogy that was very accurate and quite lovely. So the official part of our trip is done, though I've learned that our whirlwind of family activities will continue into this evening, so this may sidetrack another evening update. Our return flight is Saturday, but since most of the out-of-towners are departing tomorrow, we plan to look into seeing if there's a way to move this up. It probably won't work out, but if it does, it will mean a quicker return to a normal schedule here.

Obituary: John Witherspoon, Actor in ‘Friday’ and Other Hit Movies, Dies at 77.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: YORG.io 3.
Links: Stargate Turns 25: Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich on Sci-Fi Cult Classic. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: Mars Inc. vowed to stop deforestation in West Africa. It failed. Thanks RedEye9.
Peter Luger given zero stars in brutal New York Times review. Surprising, but it's been a long time for me. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: Scientists may have found the root of anxiety, opening a door to treatment. Thanks Max.
Antarctic ice cliffs may not contribute to sea-level rise as much as predicted. Thanks Max.
Anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and aspirin can battle major depression, scientists find. Thanks Max.
Media: Quantum Supremacy & AI, with Stephen Fry.
Which Planet is Closest: Spoiler: You're Wrong-
Sad Cat Diary.
Follow-up: HBO Orders "Thrones" Spin-Off "Dragon." Thanks Ant.
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 31, 2019, 10:05
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2019, 10:05
Oct 31, 2019, 10:05

Way to go Nationals!
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Oct 31, 2019, 01:08
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2019, 01:08
Oct 31, 2019, 01:08

Man, that sad cat diary makes you feel old, guaranteed.

Oct 30, 2019, 18:39
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2019, 18:39
Oct 30, 2019, 18:39

My father in law is in real bad shape out of the blue, two forms of stage 3 cancer. Wife just took the first flight home today, I'm probably not far behind flying out. This man is nearly a legend in how involved he was in his community. Whenever it happens it is going to be a large and lengthy ceremony. I went to a friends fathers passing recently, he led a vary basic life, but wow was he known and popular, just one of those guys that got involved and made many friends along the way, he was givin a hero's farewell imo. It does make you think on how to approach these things.

Oct 30, 2019, 18:26
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2019, 18:26
Oct 30, 2019, 18:26

Guess that means the Stargate TV series 25th anniversary is coming up "soon". I've been watching some Stargate Atlantis lately... I liked all three series and was disappointed when SG-U was canceled.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Oct 30, 2019, 18:04
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2019, 18:04
Oct 30, 2019, 18:04

Sad Cat lol

His reviews are primo
“Guy Fieri, have you eaten at your new restaurant in Times Square?” Wells wrote. “Hey, did you try that blue drink, the one that glows like nuclear waste? The watermelon margarita? Any idea why it tastes like some combination of radiator fluid and formaldehyde?”
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Oct 30, 2019, 15:20
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2019, 15:20
Oct 30, 2019, 15:20
 Verno

That ice cliff study is going to be a major point of contention over the next few years. I didn't have a chance to read it, just the article but yeah I can imagine some forum wars over it.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Oct 30, 2019, 14:57
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2019, 14:57
Oct 30, 2019, 14:57

Condolences. A good eulogy/funeral goes a long way toward helping heal the wound and appreciating what was lost.

Oct 30, 2019, 14:12
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2019, 14:12
Oct 30, 2019, 14:12

Sorry for your loss, Blue. Condolences to you in yours.
"I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, ‘Where's the self-help section?’ She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose." - George Carlin

Oct 30, 2019, 13:45
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2019, 13:45
Oct 30, 2019, 13:45
 Cutter

Don't worry about the site. Just be there for Mrs. Blue.

And your plump of waterfowl if they're still around. I reckon winter is now officially on the way and they won't be for much longer, if they're not gone already. There's been a mad scramble around here with the chipmunks. They'll likely be gone for their winter snooze in short order. Most were gone by mid-October last year.

No surprise with Luger's. Institutions tend to rest on their laurels and that's what happens when they do. You don't need to reinvent the place, just ensure the staff and food stay top notch. It's not rocket surgery - though for many involved in the industry it seems to be.

No more fear? The age of Cypher Rage?

Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older