Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

EA Steam Return Hint

A tweet from Electronic Arts adds fuel, or at least steam, to the recent indications that EA Games will be making a return to Steam (thanks DSOGaming). In a bygone time Electronic Arts games were sold on Steam, but that ended when EA launched Origin as their own online store back in 2011. The new tweet offers a visual hint at the return, showing an EA mug emitting wisps of steam. This seems like a pretty straightforward clue, though it could just mean that they really like coffee.
View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 28, 2019, 11:12 VoodooV

it's niave to think EA is in any real trouble. I know a lot of people, including myself, that are fed up with them and want them gone, but talk is cheap.

Last game I ever bought from EA was Mass Effect 3 and so far I'm holding firm on not buying any future EA games, including the new Fallen Order game.

a lot of people have to actually mean what they say and no really, not buy any EA games for any sort of boycott to work. That alone is too much for many people to hold to. And even then, EA has deep pockets. Any boycott would have to last a long time. Something I don't see happening in our instant gratification society.

EA is going to be around for a while folks. Either put your money where your mouth is or just deal with it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 28, 2019, 11:08 VoodooV

I've never had a problem with their client. But the only time I ever used it was when they had their "on the house" program to pick up copies of old games for grins. But the "on the house" program was discontinued a few months back.

I don't recall actually playing a game on the client since all the games I picked up were PC versions of games I've already played or old titles I didn't actually have any interest in, just got them cuz they were free.

43. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 28, 2019, 05:10 CJ_Parker

Ant wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 23:13:
I guess Origin isn't doing well. Does anyone here still use it? I briefly used it years ago.

Sure. It is a very pleasant client. I'm in the EU and for some reason Origin download speeds are the highest from all the clients I use regularly (Steam, uPlay, B.net, GOG). They have sales on a very regular basis and EA is still offering surprisingly steep discounts in spite of their subscription services (for example BF5 is on sale for €19.99 at the moment) as well as a very generous refund policy which I have never needed so far.

Origin has never really been a problem. The problem has always been the quality of EA games, their DLC, MTX and business policies. The Origin client per se is fine. There just hasn't been much reason to use it anymore because EA has been pumping out garbage games rather consistently these past couple of years.
The new Jedi game doesn't look too promising either and it would be a massive miracle if the new Dragon Age would turn out to be decent.

42. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 23:13  Ant 

I guess Origin isn't doing well. Does anyone here still use it? I briefly used it years ago.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

41. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 22:10  RedEye9 

CJ_Parker 3
Acleacius 0

Popcorn

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

40. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 21:54 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 20:02:
Hate to break it to you kids, the point is which you don't seem to understand is there are people who don't buy games from ea because it's origin only.

Hate to break it to you but as we can see from actual data the number of such elitists is extremely negligible.

How many people do you see complaining that WoW is not on Steam? How many are whining that LoL, one of the most successful games of all time, is not on Steam?

The vast majority of people just buy a game that they want and they play it. Simple as that. They don't care which launcher or client it requires or whether it has Denuvo or whatever. They even buy games from the FUCKING WINDOWS STORE out of all places! People buy and play games. Yes, even outside of your HOLY GOD Steam sometimes! OMG! The horror!

39. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 20:02 Acleacius

So it's me? That's rich, you assume everyone who 'would' buy a ea game would willing buy it from ea/origin. Whatever

Hate to break it to you kids, the point is which you don't seem to understand is there are people who don't buy games from ea because it's origin only.
It's just like people who are waiting for those idiotic exclusives to come to Steam. There's 100s of thousands of people doing the same thing right now with egs.
The idiots at egs didn't even enslave their employees in the 2000s, causing an international Human Rights incident. Slap Giggle

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

38. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 16:50  RedEye9 

Orogogus wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 16:40:
Avus wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 12:04:
Orogogus wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 11:49:
If they lost 10% of their sales by leaving Steam, not paying Valve's 30% cut would have more than made up for it.

Why? Less people buying game = more profit??

If EA sells 100 copies of a $100 game on Steam, their revenue after Valve's cut is, theoretically:
100 x 0.7($100) = $7,000

If they sell 10% less, but don't have to pay Valve, their revenue is:
90 x 1.0(($100) = $9,000

Less people doesn't = more profit, not paying the middleman is what = more profit.
teh maths Deal

Vaccines Cause Immunity

37. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 16:40 Orogogus

Avus wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 12:04:
If they lost 10% of their sales by leaving Steam, not paying Valve's 30% cut would have more than made up for it.

If EA sells 100 copies of a $100 game on Steam, their revenue after Valve's cut is, theoretically:
100 x 0.7($100) = $7,000

If they sell 10% less, but don't have to pay Valve, their revenue is:
90 x 1.0(($100) = $9,000

Less people doesn't = more profit, not paying the middleman is what = more profit.

36. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 15:43 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 15:11:
Once again, those sales numbers are based on ea alone, not how much revenue they lost by losing Steam customers. We are talking about the largest gaming platform on the planet, afaik.

For example one of the big things they did that year was allow ME2 to stay but not the DLC. Secondly ea has a huge number of big selling games based on franchises which drove up their numbers. I basically baffled you don't realize or understand ea lost profit by removing their games from Steam. Fee or no fee, and regardless of yearly sales numbers.

Att, I don't remember ea saying it was the Fees. It could have been just what stuck out to me. What I remember was it was Steam's patch/product rules that pissed ea off and caused them to leave.

Wow, you're dense and (still) uninformed.

The numbers are EA's net revenue on the PC platform (and browser) across all of those years. What do you even mean "EA alone"? You obviously lack the most simple comprehension when it comes to finances.
The pre-Origin revenue bookings obviously include EA's Steam sales since those were sales booked by the PC segment. What part of that is unclear to you? The numbers are their PC revenue including all physical and digital sales as well as subs and everything on all platforms (Steam pre-2011, still Steam even post-2011 and GOG since they kept many older games on both of those platforms, Origin, MMO clients/stores, browser game stores etc.). It is their entire PC segment bookings. Simple.

Yes, the numbers obviously (Captain Obvious to the rescue!) depend on their releases to an extent, e.g. Battlefield is a relatively strong PC franchise so any year a new Battlefield launches will be a stronger year for EA's PC segment or the release of PC-exclusive MMOs like SWTOR will also have an effect naturally (SWTOR did rather well by the way contrary to what many people claim... just because it did not "kill" WoW does not mean it was a failure).

There are also many, many other factors like the release of new consoles, economic factors (the years after the global financial crisis in 2008 were generally weak and EA even posted losses in some years back then) yada... yada... yada... all of that is obvious and clear as day.

Nice try attempting to distract from your dumb talk though.

You claimed that EA "took a huge hit" when they left Steam. I'm still waiting for your numbers and facts to back that up. Until then please do yourself a huge favor and do not embarrass yourself any further.

35. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 15:12 Acleacius

I wouldn't be surprised about them forcing origin. Annoying several publishers do it now, ubi and rockstar ..... bleh.  

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

34. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 15:11 Acleacius

Once again, those sales numbers are based on ea alone, not how much revenue they lost by losing Steam customers. We are talking about the largest gaming platform on the planet, afaik.

For example one of the big things they did that year was allow ME2 to stay but not the DLC. Secondly ea has a huge number of big selling games based on franchises which drove up their numbers. I basically baffled you don't realize or understand ea lost profit by removing their games from Steam. Fee or no fee, and regardless of yearly sales numbers.

Att, I don't remember ea saying it was the Fees. It could have been just what stuck out to me. What I remember was it was Steam's patch/product rules that pissed ea off and caused them to leave.

33. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 14:53 CJ_Parker

BTW, in (semi-)related news:

First, everything seems to point in the direction of a model like Steam + uPlay, i.e. EA games might get sold by Steam but you'll need to run Origin to play the games. Have fun with your two layer DRM, Steam elitists!

It is somewhat interesting that this move is coming after Ubi has left Steam (for now) to focus on uPlay and EGS. This reaffirms the notion that Gabe must have been begging on his knees for EA to return and offered them the deal of a lifetime.

I also think that EA will probably separate the Origin client/launcher app and their subscription services somehow. This might be a first step in a plan to relegate Origin to legacy status and realign everything else to be subscription and -later on- streaming based.

Secondly, Anthem is currently on sale for €9.39 on CDKeys.com. Not sure about los dolares de los estados unidos but prolly 'bout the same price.

32. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 13:25 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 10:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 21:02:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 20:46:
Personally I'm sure they lost more than 10%, leaving Steam.

Personally I'm sure you have never read a single EA financial report or you'd know that's bullshit.
So your saying you read their FinRep and found it was all sunshine and lollipops? Giggle

There's no way ea didn't take a huge hit, leaving Steam. Personally 10% is an extremely conservative estimate. There's no way ea would broadcast publicly how much they lost directly related to leaving Steam. On the contrary they would do everything possible to cover it up.

As I said you are clearly completely uninformed and just spewing bullshit for your anti EA agenda.

Look, I'm no EA fan either but I'm a fan of facts. They did not take a "huge hit".

EA net revenue by platform on the PC/Browser (fiscal year which ends on March 31st in EA's case so that's why there are 2019 numbers... we are currently in fiscal 2020 by EA's accounting policy):

2008 (pre-Origin): $702 million
2009 (pre-Origin): $712 million
2010 (pre-Origin): $687 million
2011 Origin launched in June: $669 million
2012 (Origin): $931 million
2013 (Origin): $928 million
2014 (Origin): $1,020 million
2015 (Origin): $878 million
2016 (Origin): $814 million
2017 (Origin): $773 million
2018 (Origin): $827 million
2019 (Origin): $780 million

So, where is that huge hit? You also do realize that even IF they had taken a greater than 10% hit that it would be a non-issue if you save 30% commission fees right? They pocket 100% of the Origin revenue and back in the day only 70% Steam revenue.
If they return to Steam it is because Gabe is now sucking dicks and is offering big publishers much better deals. Gabe is obviously in full panic mode since the big publishers are leaving in droves.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2019, 13:41.

31. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 13:04 NKD

MattyC wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 12:06:
People seem to be making way too much out of this.

Every time any news comes out about EA that could in any way be spun as a negative, some people are sure that their demise is imminent. They are still waiting decades later. Money talks, and they are financially successful, so regardless of how I feel about EA, it would seem petty to act like they have no idea what they are doing.

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

30. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 12:06 MattyC

People seem to be making way too much out of this. I imagine they got whatever umph they were going to get out of going exclusive and so now they are going back to selling almost anywhere. That is all.

Well maybe their subscription service isn't doing so well, but that should have been expected. They tried to double dip on their much smaller library by charging on console and PC in the same world as Game Pass. That and their IP that would benefit the most from being subscription based (sports games) has instead devolved into a some bizarro pay2win card game...

I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

29. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 12:05 Icewind

Kxmode wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 03:49:
I think EA realizes their image and brand is shot, their top-tier games isn't doing well, their subscription service isn't taking off like they thought it would. So they're moving their catalog back to Steam because they know there's a huge untapped market there. It also speaks volumes that they would choose Steam over EGS.

This is the only post that needs to be here. Well said.

Personally, I'd like to see the other Dragon Age games on Steam so I could play them on PC. Would be nice to get the new Star Wars games on PC instead of having to get it on Xbox One just to avoid Origin.

28. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 12:04 Avus

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

27. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 11:49 Orogogus

Personally I'm sure you have never read a single EA financial report or you'd know that's bullshit.
So your saying you read their FinRep and found it was all sunshine and lollipops? Giggle

There's no way ea didn't take a huge hit, leaving Steam. Personally 10% is an extremely conservative estimate. There's no way ea would broadcast publicly how much they lost directly related to leaving Steam. On the contrary they would do everything possible to cover it up.

26. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 11:00  RedEye9 

So your saying they manipulated their accounting. Puleeze tell us more. We're all Ears

Vaccines Cause Immunity

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >