The Outer Worlds Released

The Outer Worlds is now available for Windows on the Epic Games Store, offering a new single-player, sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment. Here's the Official Launch Trailer which debuted last week, and we posted a review roundup earlier this week. This press release has some developer quotes: "When we set out to create a new RPG universe for players to explore, meaningful player choice was at the core of everything we wanted to build," said Tim Cain, co-game director at Obsidian. "The Outer Worlds is our love letter to fans who want to role play as any character they’d like, whether it’s a hero, a villain, or even Leonard Boyarsky." Here's some of what it says about the game:
In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation after drifting in space for seventy years on a lost colonist ship, the Hope. Here at the edge of the galaxy, corporations control all aspects of life in Halcyon, and they are hiding a dark secret that could destroy the colony. As you explore multiple, distinct locations in the game’s vibrant world, you will encounter various factions, and meet a host of multi-faceted characters who may offer assistance in your missions. But choose carefully, as the actions and choices you make will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. Your choices affect not only the game’s narrative, but your character progression, companion stories, and different endgame scenarios.

View : : :
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: The Outer Worlds Released
Oct 28, 2019, 00:10
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 28, 2019, 00:10
Oct 28, 2019, 00:10

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 20:21:
J wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 14:37:
"The Outer Worlds is our love letter to fans who want to role play as any character they’d like, whether it’s a hero, a villain, or even Leonard Boyarsky."
I would like to roleplay as a character who won't touch Windows 10 until it stays out of the headlines for buggy messes for a significant period of time, and has an adversion to underdeveloped game store software.

That's cool. I want to play as Leroy Jenkins.

I made a female character that looks like Chewbacca that has the same name. Forgot I did it and couldn't figure out why everyone called me ma'am/by the female pronoun.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Re: Op Ed
Oct 27, 2019, 20:22
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2019, 20:22
Oct 27, 2019, 20:22

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 19:05:
Intern wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 18:37:
Dev wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 12:34:
Don't forget to use the US link, for $5 a month, instead of the canadian link for $6 a month, if you are in US

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass#join

Hmm, US Dollar is worth more than Canadian, so I think that Can$6 is less than US$5
Rack up that .40 cent savings.
.40 here, .40 there, pretty soon you have a dollar!
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Oct 27, 2019, 20:21
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 27, 2019, 20:21
Oct 27, 2019, 20:21

J wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 14:37:
"The Outer Worlds is our love letter to fans who want to role play as any character they’d like, whether it’s a hero, a villain, or even Leonard Boyarsky."
I would like to roleplay as a character who won't touch Windows 10 until it stays out of the headlines for buggy messes for a significant period of time, and has an adversion to underdeveloped game store software.

That's cool. I want to play as Leroy Jenkins.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Oct 27, 2019, 07:37
J
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 27, 2019, 07:37
Oct 27, 2019, 07:37
J

I do feel obligated to point out that I appreciate the humour of this situation.

A game which depicts a cynical take on corporate practices, which restricts its launch to two exlusive platforms: One of which has established itself by giving people money to go back on their promises, devaluing products by giving them away for free to try and entice people, comes across as generally lacking of features, and whose longevity is questionable; the other whom has upped the minimum requirements for the game from Windows 7 to a platform they previously tried to force people into upgrading to through updates (just because their store requires it), that's often seen in headlines with serious patch-related problems, a company that claims to be committed to this platform - yet is using an exclusive to choke the market to a degree and, as the company behind the main operating systems for the platform, is sending a message that this kind of thing is okay.
nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

Oct 27, 2019, 03:28
Kxmode

Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 27, 2019, 03:28
Oct 27, 2019, 03:28
 Kxmode

Hope you choke on your success Obsidian. Golfclap
"...and in stonks, Fizzy Squeezy Stocklebocks leaped over Droopy Whoopy Bondfluffs, hitting 300-gigglebits to their 150-snorebucks. Meanwhile, in Whimsyland's market, the pancakes reached parity with pogo sticks."

Oct 27, 2019, 02:15
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 27, 2019, 02:15
Oct 27, 2019, 02:15

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 01:01:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 25, 2019, 20:28:
3. MS. What they do is make sure this isn't a typical buggy Obsidian release because they have QA resources

LOL. Microsoft has QA resources. Are those fuckers always on vacation when the newest Windows patch rolls around or something?

I read a story about how they gutted their fantastic in house QA and all the bad things happened afterwards. I cannot remmeber any of the details but it was exactly as you expect.

That said no OS is without fault, and windows certainly tried to do more than anyone else to support the needs of a wide variety of users, including those like me who don't want to bust out a command line whenever anything goes wrong like I need to on my Mac and linux machines. I cut them a lot of slack. Of course none of the horrible bugs they have with every release have ruined my life yet, will see what happens.

God in the late 90's it wasn't unusual for me or my father to spend a sleepless night on a re-install mission. I feel like it's never been better. Crashes less than XP/7.

Also I've worked in QA and released broken shit. It's really hard. It's one thing to find an issue, to isolate and fix it in software that ambitious is insane. They cannot even get it right in most games, how hard it is in an OS is unimaginable (Still no excuse for cheaping out on in-house QA, a lot more damage can be done by an OS than a game which just means you have to play a different game until next patch.)

Oct 26, 2019, 19:05
Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2019, 19:05
Oct 26, 2019, 19:05

Intern wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 18:37:
Don't forget to use the US link, for $5 a month, instead of the canadian link for $6 a month, if you are in US

Hmm, US Dollar is worth more than Canadian, so I think that Can$6 is less than US$5
Rack up that .40 cent savings.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Oct 26, 2019, 18:37
Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2019, 18:37
Oct 26, 2019, 18:37

Oct 26, 2019, 15:24
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 26, 2019, 15:24
Oct 26, 2019, 15:24

Recommend the Windows store until it's cheaper, title is quite short unfortunately. It's very polished and satisfying, I enjoyed every minute just wish there was more minutes. Thought it would be 4x as large/long to be honest.

Going back for try #2 in case I skipped half of it some how.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Oct 26, 2019, 14:37
J
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 26, 2019, 14:37
Oct 26, 2019, 14:37
J

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

Oct 26, 2019, 12:34
Dev
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 26, 2019, 12:34
Oct 26, 2019, 12:34
Dev

Oct 26, 2019, 11:29
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 26, 2019, 11:29
Oct 26, 2019, 11:29

I am having more fun with this fallout remake then I am with COD MW 15 or whatever it is.

fuuny, this game plays and looks just like fallout 76 but it is single player, with story telling NPC's and in space, but then again I didn't see why Fallout76 was hated so much anyways.

Oct 26, 2019, 05:32
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 26, 2019, 05:32
Oct 26, 2019, 05:32

bigspender wrote on Oct 25, 2019, 21:17:
I tried it since I had xbox game store subscription for free with my new video card purchase.

Not seeing what all the fuss is about. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's just fallout 3 in space essentially.

The combat is pretty uninspiring, and the story is OK. Probably fun if you've never played a fallout game, but it just feels like there's nothing really new or exciting here to me. (althought I did actually laugh out loud at the drop pod part). I just ultimately didn't feel motivated to keep playing it.

Perhaps if you ate more read meat, you'd feel more excited.

Oct 26, 2019, 02:57
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 26, 2019, 02:57
Oct 26, 2019, 02:57

playing an awesome new RPG for a buck legally? fuck yeah, you guys rock.

Oct 26, 2019, 01:45
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 26, 2019, 01:45
Oct 26, 2019, 01:45

Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 25, 2019, 20:53:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 25, 2019, 19:52:
Qbex . wrote on Oct 25, 2019, 18:45:
As for buying - I'm really perplexed that its not been talked about here more. Get it on xbox beta app in windows 10 store.

Nnnnnoooooooooooooope.

MS Store a.k.a GFWL 2.0 as well as anything named Xbox has been uninstalled from muh PCMR-PC and can go fuck itself really, really extra hard!

Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 25, 2019, 19:13:
Great game so far. I’ve been looking for a game to get lost in like this. It definitely feels like an Obsidian game, which is a good thing for pc gamers.

So what you're saying is it feels like a 70 yard field goal attempt right in the nutsack??

Because that is what Obsidian games usually feel like on release.

If I ever get around to playing this (FO ain't really my cup of tea) then it'll be the fully patched content complete GOTY.

Not at all. Fallout: New Vegas was one of the best in the series, and I loved Pillars. You’re just bitter about something else. Go change your underwear or something.

Dude, are you seriously trying to deny that FNV and the first Pillars were Bugs Bunny shows on release? Like what?

The second Pillars was a strange affair in so far as it was relatively bug-free for Obsidian on release but got subsequently buggier and buggier with nearly every patch before they finally addressed most of the outstanding issues in the final 5.0 patch.

And let's not even mention feature-completeness. LOL. Deadfire got a whole new combat mode (turn-based which I liked) in the final patching stages. They ship their games with a barebone set of features. Obsidian games (like Larian games) get metric FUCKTONS better the longer you wait. Fact.

I mean, Obsidian generally don't have their Bugs Bunny rep for nothing. I'm glad if they managed to finally pull off a somewhat solid release with Outer Worlds but it's difficult to trust these early impressions because many people turn a blind eye to even glaring issues when they are in love with a new game.
Ya know... they don't wanna see the genital warts... they just wanna bang that pusseh... I think that's like a very fitting comparison, right?

Oct 26, 2019, 01:01
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 26, 2019, 01:01
Oct 26, 2019, 01:01

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 25, 2019, 20:28:
3. MS. What they do is make sure this isn't a typical buggy Obsidian release because they have QA resources

LOL. Microsoft has QA resources. Are those fuckers always on vacation when the newest Windows patch rolls around or something?

Oct 25, 2019, 21:19
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 25, 2019, 21:19
Oct 25, 2019, 21:19

As for buying - I'm really perplexed that its not been talked about here more. Get it on xbox beta app in windows 10 store.

Nnnnnoooooooooooooope.

MS Store a.k.a GFWL 2.0 as well as anything named Xbox has been uninstalled from muh PCMR-PC and can go fuck itself really, really extra hard!

Great game so far. I’ve been looking for a game to get lost in like this. It definitely feels like an Obsidian game, which is a good thing for pc gamers.

So what you're saying is it feels like a 70 yard field goal attempt right in the nutsack??

If I ever get around to playing this (FO ain't really my cup of tea) then it'll be the fully patched content complete GOTY.

What's the big deal about all of these alternate stores anyway? You double click on the game's icon, and it loads the game regardless of what store it's thru right?

Oct 25, 2019, 21:17
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 25, 2019, 21:17
Oct 25, 2019, 21:17

I tried it since I had xbox game store subscription for free with my new video card purchase.

Not seeing what all the fuss is about. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's just fallout 3 in space essentially.

The combat is pretty uninspiring, and the story is OK. Probably fun if you've never played a fallout game, but it just feels like there's nothing really new or exciting here to me. (althought I did actually laugh out loud at the drop pod part). I just ultimately didn't feel motivated to keep playing it.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2019, 22:18.

Oct 25, 2019, 20:53
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 25, 2019, 20:53
Oct 25, 2019, 20:53

Nnnnnoooooooooooooope.

Not at all. Fallout: New Vegas was one of the best in the series, and I loved Pillars. You’re just bitter about something else. Go change your underwear or something.

Oct 25, 2019, 20:28
Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 25, 2019, 20:28
Oct 25, 2019, 20:28

Nnnnnoooooooooooooope.

Here is the feeling I'm getting with the game in terms of quality of release.

It is 3 tiered.

1. There is a company under Obsidian that looks to have coded it, the smallest group and in some ways this has an indy feeling.

2. The second tier is Obsidian, this is the writing and direction. They are expierienced here and they direct the devs here.

3. MS. What they do is make sure this isn't a typical buggy Obsidian release because they have QA resources and so far it feels way better than a typically Obsidian release, which was at least wait a month or two, 6-12 better yet. Now I wouldn't have been playing this game without gamepass now, but I'm not getting frustrated with bugs which day one games have a way of doing that.

So this new mix seems to be working for me.
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older