Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

As evidenced by how much I've talked about them here, the water-based birds in the pond near the new home of the BlueTower have captured my affection. We thoroughly enjoyed watching the serenity of the ducks and swans as well as occasional sighting of a majestic blue heron. Only a handful of ducks have been hanging around for the past couple of weeks, and while I missed all their friends, my assumption was that they'd flown south for the winter, and the stragglers would soon follow. But yesterday MrsBlue and I took a walk and saw that this is not the case. First we saw the heron, then down by the lake we saw swans, though this was a group of seven that we'd spotted there a few times, so the group of three from the pond may have indeed departed. Then we saw a bunch of ducks, and later on 11 of them showed up quacking outside our patio when I went outside. I stopped feeding them a while ago, but the way they recognized me shows they are the same little quackers from the oatmeal club. My research tells me that feeding them would not discourage them from migrating, but something has, as we're now well past the point they'd be expected to head off. I'll assume nature will take it's course, but I still worry for them, and keep suggesting it's time for them to seek warmer climates. Either they have to work on their English or I have to work on my duck, because so far the message does not seem to be getting through.

Ducky Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Falling Sand.
Links: The Improbable True Story of How 'Clerks' Was Made. Thanks RedEye9.
Stories: Michael Palin becomes first - and maybe only - Monty Python star to receive knighthood. BS! John Cleese was the Black Knight!
WWII Battle of Midway: Japanese aircraft carrier found in deep sea. Thanks RedEye9.
How tall is Mount Everest? Nepal is working to find out.
Science: Marijuana and Vaping: Shadowy Past, Dangerous Present. Thanks j.c.f.
New evidence that an extraterrestrial collision 12,800 years ago triggered abrupt climate change. Thanks Acleacius.
Blue Origin announces a blue-chip team to return humans to the Moon. Also, blue horseshoe loves Anacott Steel.
Media: Final Trailer: "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker."
Hot Wheels Boosted.
Why Your Brain Thinks These Strawberries Are Red.
Follow-up: A New Crispr Technique Could Fix Almost All Genetic Diseases.
View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2019, 10:42 Mr. Tact

According to the wiki page:

Southern California Edison (or SCE Corp), the largest subsidiary of Edison International, is the primary electricity supply company for much of Southern California. It provides 14 million people with electricity across a service territory of approximately 50,000 square miles. However, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, San Diego Gas & Electric, Imperial Irrigation District, and some smaller municipal utilities serve substantial portions of the southern California territory. The northern part of the state is generally served by the Pacific Gas & Electric Company of San Francisco.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2019, 10:38 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 3, 2019, 10:31:
From an article I was reading about the Maria fire, "...While its cause remains under investigation, SoCal Edison admitted Friday that it had re-energized a 16,000-volt power line minutes before the fire broke out." So, it isn't just a PG&E issue.
Is Southern California Edison private or public. Would it matter either way.

Edit
https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=SCE%27E
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_International

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

42. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2019, 10:31 Mr. Tact

From an article I was reading about the Maria fire, "...While its cause remains under investigation, SoCal Edison admitted Friday that it had re-energized a 16,000-volt power line minutes before the fire broke out." So, it isn't just a PG&E issue.  

41. Feed me! Oct 28, 2019, 00:04 Ant

I'm hungry.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

40. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2019, 10:06 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 04:00:
Exactly. The PG&E thing has NOTHING to do with the government or politics. It has to do with greed. Shutting off the power is a painful bandage. The problem with PG&E is that they are a complete failure. When PG&E neglected their equipment, they put the interest of shareholders ahead of the welfare and safety of its customers and the general public. The state needs to step in, enact eminent domain, and reduce the grid and lines in size to regional providers who can handle them at a micro-scale. Like what SMUD does for the Sacramento region.
You think bad governmental decisions are made for reasons other than greed? What do you think gaining political power/credit is about? Listen, I'm not saying PG&E is a good company or they made good decisions. But it is unfair to critize them now for cutting power after they were successfully sued for starting fires. As I said before, they will gladly do whatever the government asks them to do. In the end it comes down to this, it is always people making the decisions. And people whether they are politicians or corporate wonks rarely make a decision other than the one which benefits them the most personally.

What I am saying is thinking the solution is having a governmental body make the decisions instead provides no guarantee better decisions will be made. It is change for the sake of change. A better solution would be to legislate maintenance requirements and apply them across the entire state.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2019, 04:00 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2019, 12:29:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 20:29:
My point was simply that current politics are so fractured that the idea anyone would think having politicians running things would be a good solution is a bit of a surprise to me..

I'd say that politicians <> government. That said, faith in government is at historical lows.

Exactly. The PG&E thing has NOTHING to do with the government or politics. It has to do with greed. Shutting off the power is a painful bandage. The problem with PG&E is that they are a complete failure. When PG&E neglected their equipment, they put the interest of shareholders ahead of the welfare and safety of its customers and the general public. The state needs to step in, enact eminent domain, and reduce the grid and lines in size to regional providers who can handle them at a micro-scale. Like what SMUD does for the Sacramento region.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2019, 12:29 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 20:29:
My point was simply that current politics are so fractured that the idea anyone would think having politicians running things would be a good solution is a bit of a surprise to me..

I'd say that politicians <> government. That said, faith in government is at historical lows.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 20:29 Mr. Tact

36. Re: Gone Gold - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Oct 23, 2019, 18:03 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 13:51:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 13:40:
You're using one of the most extreme cases as a reason not to do. Flint, Michigan had nothing to do with the system not working, but the people behind it being inept and derelict in their duties (which, is the crux of PG&E). By contrast, SMUD is run by the county very well. Since it's inception, it has thrived and continues to invest smartly in infrastructure updates and maintenance.
Aren't you doing the same? Plenty of power companies out there which have not caused major fires. I've already said I agree with you in principle, I'm just not convinced wholesale replacement of government instead of corporate control of utilities on a large scale is good plan. In PG&E's case, a take over could be appropriate. Let's just not do any over generalizing. In the current political environment I'm surprised anyone would expect reasonable decisions from politicians whether they be over judicial appointments or the mechanics around running a utility company...

With the exception of the the last point ("In the current political environment"; do not want to get into the politics of it), I agreed.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 17:14 jdreyer

I found this website. Granted it's the public utility association, but they back their claims up with data.

Affordable

Public power utilities are not-for-profit entities that provide electricity to customers at the lowest rates. Homes powered by public power utilities pay 13 percent less than homes powered by private utilities. Businesses that get electricity from public power utilities also pay less than businesses that get electricity from private utilities.

Reliable

Customers of public power utilities lose power less often. Customers of a public power utility are likely to be without power for just 74 minutes a year, compared to customers of private utilities, who lose power for an average of 136 minutes a year — provided there are no major adverse events.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

34. Re: Gone Gold - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Oct 23, 2019, 13:51 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 13:40:
You're using one of the most extreme cases as a reason not to do. Flint, Michigan had nothing to do with the system not working, but the people behind it being inept and derelict in their duties (which, is the crux of PG&E). By contrast, SMUD is run by the county very well. Since it's inception, it has thrived and continues to invest smartly in infrastructure updates and maintenance.
Aren't you doing the same? Plenty of power companies out there which have not caused major fires. I've already said I agree with you in principle, I'm just not convinced wholesale replacement of government instead of corporate control of utilities on a large scale is good plan. In PG&E's case, a take over could be appropriate. Let's just not do any over generalizing. In the current political environment I'm surprised anyone would expect reasonable decisions from politicians whether they be over judicial appointments or the mechanics around running a utility company...

33. Re: Gone Gold - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Oct 23, 2019, 13:40 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 09:35:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 03:00:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 02:13:
I don't understand why it's private in the first place. It's not like there is any kind of competitive market.
I totally agree! Essential services like utilities, gas, water, and so forth shouldn't be on a stock exchange. They're putting shareholder interest above those they service.
Yeah, like the government does a better job of running utilities.. Flint, Michigan anyone? And I'm certain if I cared to look there are plenty of other examples of bad events/behavior. That said, I actually agree in principle -- however, the reality is less clear. The answer is probably tighter regulation of the utilities. Requirements to do a certain amount of maintenance. If the company feels it is unnecessary or want to request rate hikes to accomplish the maintenance -- then a public and transparent process to evaluate those requests...

32. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 10:07 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 09:35:
I don't understand why it's private in the first place. It's not like there is any kind of competitive market.
I totally agree! Essential services like utilities, gas, water, and so forth shouldn't be on a stock exchange. They're putting shareholder interest above those they service.
Yeah, like the government does a better job of running utilities.. Flint, Michigan anyone? And I'm certain if I cared to look there are plenty of other examples of bad events/behavior. That said, I actually agree in principle -- however, the reality is less clear. The answer is probably tighter regulation of the utilities. Requirements to do a certain amount of maintenance. If the company feels it is unnecessary or want to request rate hikes to accomplish the maintenance -- then a public and transparent process to evaluate those requests...
Damn you with your case examples and logic. Grin

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

31. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 09:35 Mr. Tact

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 03:00 Kxmode

Kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 19:41:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 19:26:
It was a catch-22 situation before PG&E got sued for starting fires. Now they can pretty much say, "Toyota! You asked for it, you got it!" The choice is 1) cut the power and risk causing deaths due to the power loss or 2) don't cut the power and risk causing deaths due to fires. I'm sure the power companies will be happy to not cut the power if they are provided assurances they won't be sued if fires start from power lines.

3) Go fix their equipment. But they can't do that because they're bankrupt. So the better options is to 4) have the state declare imminent domain on PG&E's equipment and break it apart to regional providers. PG&E failure is they're too big.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 02:19 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 21:25:
The fallout continues at Boeing over two 737 Max plane crashes that killed 346 people, with the company replacing Kevin McAllister as president and CEO of the commercial airplanes unit.

awe
How much was his golden parachute?

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 02:13 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 19:41:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 19:26:
It was a catch-22 situation before PG&E got sued for starting fires. Now they can pretty much say, "Toyota! You asked for it, you got it!" The choice is 1) cut the power and risk causing deaths due to the power loss or 2) don't cut the power and risk causing deaths due to fires. I'm sure the power companies will be happy to not cut the power if they are provided assurances they won't be sued if fires start from power lines.

3) Go fix their equipment. But they can't do that because they're bankrupt. So the better options is to 4) have the state declare imminent domain on PG&E's equipment and break it apart to regional providers. PG&E failure is they're too big.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 02:11 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 19:21:
More California Blackouts To Avert Wildfires May Start Wednesday, PG&E Says

"We recognize the hardship that the recent PSPS event caused for millions of people and want to continue working with all key shareholders to lessen this burden going forward," Johnson wrote in a letter to the California Public Utilities Commission. "At the same time, we ask our customers, their families, and our local and state leaders to keep in mind that statistic that matters most: there were no catastrophic wildfires."

Similar logic:

1. You could get rid of an ant colony with a bazooka
2. You could discover the secret to weight loss at the bottom of a five-pound bag of M&M's
3. You could clean your dishes by smashing them on the ground
4. You could set your house on fire to get rid of termite
5. You could give your video game film rights to Uwe Boll because he has experience directing other video game films

Did you lose power?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 01:37 Acleacius

What about Blue's Duck Ponderosa!!!? :-duckwaddlequackquack-: Grouphug  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 01:18 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 20:12:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 19:57:
Californians can't have a stock-traded utility arbitrarily deciding to shut off power to almost a million people or more at random.
Okay, I'll admit I was cutting them more slack than they probably deserve. However, I was trying to focus on where they are, not how they got there. The power shut offs aren't arbitrary given the fact they've been successfully sued for causing fires. Like I said, it comes down to death by fire or death by power loss -- I'm sure they'll be happy to do whatever the state tells them to do.

Well, I'm pretty sure the state told them to spend more on infrastructure maintenance and less on stockholder dividends and lobbying efforts.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >