Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors

As BlizzCon 2019 approaches, speculation about announcements abound. This tweet from last week says we can not only expect the official reveal of Diablo IV, but also the remaster of Diablo II that fans of the action/RPG series have long sought. This simply says, "For anyone who cares, diablo 4 and diablo 2 remastered will also be announced. :)" GamesRadar+ vouches for the poster's bona fides: "The information comes from an industry insider known on Twitter as Metro, who has a proven track record of breaking BlizzCon news before it's officially announced on the show floor of Blizzard's annual game expo." They also note that this tweet lends some support for this, showing a magazine ad for a new Art of Diablo book that mentions Diablo IV, and sure enough, searching for the book's ISBN brings up results that show this to be a real thing. BlizzCon 2019 kicks off a week from Friday, so it won't be long before we learn what comes of all this.
View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 23, 2019, 13:05 chickenboo

Diablo 2 Remaster? GIMME  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 22, 2019, 11:16 The Pyro

where the skill tree is almost entirely "+2% obscure stat" ... Path of Exile was like that at launch, right?

Mostly no, but sortof. PoE's passive skill tree consists of keystones and notables connected by minor buffs.

Keystones are skills which change the game's mechanics. For example, there's a keystone called Resolute Technique which gives your character 100% accuracy but reduces your critical hit chance to 0%. Another keystone lets you use mana to absorb damage. There are several keystones, and finding good combinations (along with unique abilities from equipped items) is essential to surviving late-game content.

Notables are mostly just big buffs, e.g. 80% increased crit chance with bows. There are lots of notables scattered throughout the tree.

Minor passives are the glue that ties the tree together. They provide small buffs only (e.g. 5% increased life). You must unlock many of these to travel between the keystones and notables that you want. Minor stat passives (e.g. +10 Strength) are also needed to equip high-level items that require strength, dexterity, or intelligence.

25. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 21, 2019, 22:40 Kalthorn

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 22:15:
How exactly is that in any way a bad thing? This mechanic is LITERALLY the only reason a WD swarm build can exist (and does not exist in Path of Exiles) because you can stack crit-damage and weapon damage as well as minion damage boosts (which stack on stacked stacks) ON YOUR MINIONS while you support them from the back

Also what you describe is not how D3 works at all which is even funnier really. Entire builds are defined by legendary and set buffs, Kanai cube and what you equip. Those differences are not 3% on an obscure stat, they are 12000% on set linked skill triggers. And can make an enormous difference. A single set item can literally change your entire build from barely making it on Hard to easy cruising on t10

Regarding D3, maybe not any more, but I'm fairly certain that was how D3 worked at least for the first year or so. Your skills damage was linked to weapon DPS. Finding a normal-ass sword shouldn't boost my Fireball damage just because I used to wield a staff. It made investing in Fireball less rewarding because its effectiveness was strongly tied to something unrelated. I won't ever get to care about interesting Witch Doctor builds because the main gameplay loop is less fun for me.

A different mechanic that I was also talking about, which I find un-fun in a similar way to the above, is one where you play for awhile and acquire a point of some sort that you invest but all the investment options are boring +% increases. When you look at it from the perspective of max-level builds, sure they add up and you can get cool builds, but I don't find it fun during all the hours getting to that level. I don't find nudging one of my numbers slightly to be a fun reward.

24. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 21, 2019, 22:20 Kalthorn

Thanks for responding, everyone! The mechanic of finding and socketing skills does sound cool, especially with ability to do combinations. I've been looking for another game for my Dad and me to play together and while I've wanted to avoid that particularly addictive gameplay loop, we did play the absolute shit out of Diablo 2 back in the day. Maybe it's time to take a hit of the hard stuff once again...  

23. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 21, 2019, 22:15 eRe4s3r

Kalthorn wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 18:20:
The real money auction house was of course terrible, but the primary mechanic in D3 that I couldn't stand was how they linked weapon damage and skill damage. Get a better weapons, suddenly your magic spell is also more powerful. Acquiring new skills was much less fun, character builds felt limp, and looting new weapons was also less fun.

It made it like those RPGs (mostly MMOs?) where the skill tree is almost entirely "+2% obscure stat" so the sense of progress just go blegh.

How exactly is that in any way a bad thing? This mechanic is LITERALLY the only reason a WD swarm build can exist (and does not exist in Path of Exiles) because you can stack crit-damage and weapon damage as well as minion damage boosts (which stack on stacked stacks) ON YOUR MINIONS while you support them from the back

Also what you describe is not how D3 works at all which is even funnier really. Entire builds are defined by legendary and set buffs, Kanai cube and what you equip. Those differences are not 3% on an obscure stat, they are 12000% on set linked skill triggers. And can make an enormous difference. A single set item can literally change your entire build from barely making it on Hard to easy cruising on t10

22. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 18:51 [VG]Reagle

HMMMMM Diablow 1 sucked 2 sucked 3 REALLY SUCked so WHat DO you supposed 4 will do????

Well Nancy it too SUX. Just a news flash and knowledge drop for yall

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

21. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 21, 2019, 18:36 HorrorScope

And speaking of games like that, Path of Exile was like that at launch, right? Can anyone playing say if that changed much? I wanted to play it some but seeing that massive upgrade tree where each unlock was a tiny percent bump rather than new abilities or added mechanics turned me off quickly.

It has changed quite a bit, but there is a big patch coming I think they will call it Exile 2.0 which is their next gen update.

The tree your talking about is the Passive Tree not an abilities tree, that doesn't exist, there are some outliers in that tree that may offer an ability here or there, but complimentary at best.

Abilities are gems you add to sockets on weapons and armor, there are a shit ton, lots of combo's and overall pretty well done. They have been tweaked over the years for sure. Each season they come out with a pretty healthy update to the game.

It's free and you can do a lot for free, so it is worth a shot certainly if you like ARPG's or if you want a bigger splash wait for 2.0.

20. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 21, 2019, 18:28 Mr. Tact

And speaking of games like that, Path of Exile was like that at launch, right? Can anyone playing say if that changed much? I wanted to play it some but seeing that massive upgrade tree where each unlock was a tiny percent bump rather than new abilities or added mechanics turned me off quickly.
Yes and no. Each individual point in the passive tree might not be much of an impact, however the idea is to compound all those small advantages into big ones. Some builds are still built around a single unique, but there are plenty which are very flexible. That said, the game has really changed over the years. Considering the price, it is well worth trying again. My suggestion would be to peruse either the forums or Youtube for a build guide which catches your interest. The game has a lot of complicated mechanics, so until you have significant experience in the game, you are much better off following a build guide than attempting to figure it out one your own.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 21, 2019, 18:20 Kalthorn

The real money auction house was of course terrible, but the primary mechanic in D3 that I couldn't stand was how they linked weapon damage and skill damage. Get a better weapons, suddenly your magic spell is also more powerful. Acquiring new skills was much less fun, character builds felt limp, and looting new weapons was also less fun.

It made it like those RPGs (mostly MMOs?) where the skill tree is almost entirely "+2% obscure stat" so the sense of progress just go blegh.

18. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 21, 2019, 16:30 Flatline

[quote="WitcherOntheProwl Diablo III's main problem was that it was a short storyline. I really didn't mind the way Blizzard did the game lighting/color. I am looking forward to Diablo IV. I really like the series. Just not Activison/Blizzard though. The company is pretty shady.
The art direction didn't bother me. The skill system was kind of limp, the RMAH was literally Blizzard trying to get in on the at-the-time real money for in game gold thing that was super popular, and OH YEAH NO RANDOMIZED LEVELS!

The difference between the expansion and the main game is night and day.

In the immortal words of the lead designer...
Fuck those losers.

17. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 15:39 Alamar

Looking forward to seeing some actual news on this... Not sure I care about 2, but if the price is reasonable (unlikely), I might give it another go... Was always so hard getting back into it's horrifically bad graphics after Titan Quest came out, and while I enjoyed II at launch, and after the expansion, I wasn't obsessed with ARPGs like I appear to be now with PoE (Especially this league).  

16. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 15:37 Xero

Oooooh the feeeeeels. I loved Diablo 2. I remember building a new PC that summer just to play Diablo 2 (not that it needed like any power to run, lol). Got me a rad Intel Celeron processor, lol. Had a blast with the game that summer it came out.

So on that note, I'd love to replay D2 remastered. It's a game that today it still holds up despite it being graphically challenged. Nothing a higher resolution bump couldn't fix.

As for Diablo 4, don't really care. Diablo 3 had it's up and downs. I'm positive D4 will as well. If they can introduce some new aspects that really make me go, wow, okay, awesome, then yeah, it's in the right direction. Otherwise, it'll be more of the same as the rest. That means, it's either your cup of tea or it isn't. Typical clickfest, lol. It's fun for awhile and then it just drops interest like 95%.

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

15. Diablo II this! Oct 21, 2019, 14:48 WitcherOntheProwl

I wouldn't mind a Diablo II remaster. Diablo II was amazing. Was not really impressed with the expansion though. Either way I would buy Diablo II and the expansion together for $19.99.
I also really liked Diablo III. Diablo III's main problem was that it was a short storyline. I really didn't mind the way Blizzard did the game lighting/color. I am looking forward to Diablo IV. I really like the series. Just not Activison/Blizzard though. The company is pretty shady.

14. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 14:39 Creston

Please note that you're not allowed to say anything about Diablo, because it might offend the mighty Chinese government.

I fully expect 99% of all the people that have been bitching about Blizzard to buy Diablo 4 on launch day. It's the same group of people that complained about games having DRM, and then went out and bought Diablo 3 in fucking droves.

13. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 13:55 raVen

Blizzard to fans:
Do you guys not have Cell Phones?
Do you guys not have Free Speech?
Do you guys not have other games to play?
Do you guys not have brains?

I'm way less interested in Diablo after Immortal was announced. for a couple reasons: The way they treated fans, and they way they treat Diablo 3 players and fans.

I am glad I decided to not go to blizzcon this year, i'm usually super excited to go, last year kind of took the wind out of my sails for this year. the more recent stuff just made it apparent that I made the right choice for me. (I bought the virtual ticket before the most recent crap)

12. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 13:51 verybad1

Cutter wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 13:16:
Will they be available in Hong Kong? /s

Fuck Actiblizz.

Right on regarding this. Don't care about Diablo 4 in any case, but screw Actiblizz.

11. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 13:40 Luke

To late blizzy to late  

10. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 13:37 El Pit

Can't wait for the upcoming remaster: Diablo 2 MOBILE! Giggle  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

9. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 13:26 aka_STEVE

Diablo IV : The Rise of the China Overlord  

8. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 21, 2019, 13:16 Cutter

Will they be available in Hong Kong? /s

Fuck Actiblizz.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >