Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Great Scott! Happy Back to the Future Day! Guess this is the fourth annual BttFD, as Marty McFly traveled forward to October 21, 2015.

Speaking of going back to the future, the discussion of our plans for our responsive layout inspired a question about whether or not anyone is actually still making use of the "Retro Colors" option under the Customize heading on the menu here. This was part of a conversation of how to fix a problem that occasionally occurs where the style sheet fails to load, and whether the retro colors option had enough users to support puzzling through this. Since then it struck me that this may be desirable as a "dark mode" option for mobile users, but in case this presents complications I thought I'd still throw it out there to see if anyone wants to throw a vote of support for continuing to support this feature. So feel free to discuss this or not as it suits you.

Retro Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: 20 terrifying PC horror games to play with the lights off. Thanks RedEye9.
Stories: Tornado ravages north Dallas, leaving thousands without power. Please stay safe.
Oklahoma’s Schooner takes a spill on the field during game. Bound to happen Sooner or later.
Science: This Guy Just Found a Faster Way to Multiply. Thanks Slashdot.
Are electric cars as 'green' as you think?
Next-gen hearing implants could overcome inner ear damage.
Media: WowCraft Ep 44 'Off the Beaten Path.'
Boy Describes The Sounds Coming Out Of Parents Bedroom.
Warehouse worker assaulted by "ghost table."
Follow-up: NASA's Mars InSight is unstuck and officially back to work.
Crane implosion at Hard Rock Hotel collapse in New Orleans. Thanks Boing Boing.
View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2019, 05:15 VaranDragon

If the electricity for your electric car is generated from Coal or Gas burning plants, then no, your electric car is not green. Even if they somehow magically discovered a fully recycleable battery tomorrow.

Once we get off fossil fuels completely for our energy needs things will get better, but we also need new battery technologies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2019, 04:53 jdreyer

Boy Describes The Sounds Coming Out Of Parents Bedroom.

OMFG, that kid has some serious imitation skills. He could be the next Rich Little.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2019, 04:46 jdreyer

20 terrifying PC horror games to play with the lights off.

Only 20?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2019, 04:38 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 11:46:
Blue wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 11:41:
Beamer wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 11:37:
I find the New Blue more eye-pleasing. The other blue just fits in better, less jarring.

Last week, for some reason, my account had both de-selected, giving me a white background for a page or three before I noticed why it was happening. This font color is VERY hard to read on a white background, haha.

Not sure why, but the no-stylesheet problem seems to pop up more lately. As you say, this results in a very hard to read site with a white background. To be clear, this is never supposed to happen, so hopefully we can eliminate the bug as part of this process.

So weird, I was literally just trying to search the comments for the last time someone brought up this issue... and it was Blue... a few minutes ago!
My CSS just blew up for the first time ever last night. Whole page was white and ugly. Had to click the New Blue again to fix it.
Happened to me for the first time ever a couple of days ago. Luckily it had been recently discussed here, and I quickly figured out what to do.

Given that dark mode uses less electricity on ever increasing OLED screens, I propose we keep it.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 21:43 Sepharo

Grokk wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 21:33:
I've always use the black (retro) colour scheme.

The Launch Links option was always useful too, but now that I can middle click on links, it's not so much a requirement anymore.

I've somehow seen that checkbox there for nearly 20 years and never really registered or pondered it once

Also a forum search shows that Grok was the first to mention it in 12 years lol

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 21:33 Grokk

I've always use the black (retro) colour scheme.

The Launch Links option was always useful too, but now that I can middle click on links, it's not so much a requirement anymore.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 20:17 Kxmode

Great Scott! Happy Back to the Future Day! Guess this is the fourth annual BttFD, as Marty McFly traveled forward to October 21, 2015.

Where we're going, we don't need roads. Race

Happy BTTF Day all!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 19:21 opie

I only use retro/dark mode. even on desktop. easier to read.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 18:05 bigspender

Are electric cars as 'green' as you think?

Yes they are. The batteries however can be improved on, and that will come with time. Time that we'll get by not contributing to gas emissions by driving ANY electric car (and not eating beef/dairy too btw).

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 18:02 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 16:34:
Just tried it again and it's still not working - in Firefox 69.0.3 64bit. Yet it is working in Chrome.
Weird. I am on the same version of FF and it worked for me. *shrug*

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 16:39 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 16:34:
Blue wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 14:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 14:03:
Cutter wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 13:38:
Something is wrong with that hearing implant link, Blue. It just opens and closes right away.
Either he fixed it, or it is on your end, it just worked fine for me.

Haven't changed anything. Seems to work fine for me.

Just tried it again and it's still not working - in Firefox 69.0.3 64bit. Yet it is working in Chrome.

Probably your adblocker. Engadget directs you through guce.advertising.com. Nothing I use closes it, but my mobile refuses to be redirected, so I can't get to any of Verizon's blogs via mobile.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 16:34 Cutter

Blue wrote on Oct 21, 2019, 14:46:
Something is wrong with that hearing implant link, Blue. It just opens and closes right away.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 15:05 Wick

I very much like the idea of the responsive layout.
And I very much like keeping the retro colours option. I know dark mode is all the rage these days, but I've been using retro colours since the option became available. I just find it much easier to read.

Cheers,
Wick

Wick

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 14:46  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 14:36 Burrito of Peace

I like the "new" BN color but I would also very much support the implementation of a dark mode. I don't browse on mobile but I would like it for my desktops and laptop.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 14:03 Mr. Tact

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 13:38 Cutter

"This Guy Just Found a Faster Way to Multiply." He became a rabbit?

No vehicle is green unless it's a cart made of wood. It's about what's the greenest long term solution for personal vehicles. Personally I think we should be investing in Maglev public transit like Japan. Hope I'm still around when theirs launches in 2027. 600KMH baby! I'll definitely head over there to check that out.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 13:19 Shock

Another retro color user here. I much prefer the black background  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 13:17 Mr. Tact

I did use Retro for a long time, but at some point I switched to "New Blue" and now I am used to it.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2019, 12:58 The Flying Penguin

I do use the black background, but the blue one is acceptable. Doesn't matter to me.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >